Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
8gv

Default First season on a mooring and...

YUK!

For eight seasons my little Sea Ray was kept on a rack and only in the water when I was using it. The hull looked like it was new. This year I figured I'd try a mooring. Wow! What a mess!

The boat has a 12" brown scum stained area all around the waterline and the out drive is covered in what appears to be some sort of fresh water barnacles.

I first noticed the barnacles Labor Day weekend and they seem to have softened somewhat since then. The brown scum was scrubbed off once during the season but the stain looks mighty permanent at the moment.

Any advice on removing the stain and barnacles? How can I prevent or minimize these next year?

Thanks!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Little Bear

Definitely use Easy On next spring before putting your boat in the water. Before I had a boat lift I used this stuff every year. It kept all of the crud off of the bottom of the boat. Looked like new when I pulled the boat out in the fall.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...eyword=easy+on
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
YUK!

For eight seasons my little Sea Ray was kept on a rack and only in the water when I was using it. The hull looked like it was new. This year I figured I'd try a mooring. Wow! What a mess!

The boat has a 12" brown scum stained area all around the waterline and the out drive is covered in what appears to be some sort of fresh water barnacles.

I first noticed the barnacles Labor Day weekend and they seem to have softened somewhat since then. The brown scum was scrubbed off once during the season but the stain looks mighty permanent at the moment.

Any advice on removing the stain and barnacles? How can I prevent or minimize these next year?

Thanks!
FYI apply a good amount of wax at the start of the season and it will help.
Also wash the bottom down with a damp rag when your at a sand bar.
Lots of great products for removing the stuff, we use what is called Crystal Lakes hull & bottom cleaner. You can pick it up at Sports & Marine Parafunalia over in Gilford across from MVYC. One container is enough to make 6 gallons so it will last a few years.
I had my Baja for 11 years, it looked the same as it did when I first bought it because I took good care of it. Waxed it at least once a month, cleaned the vinyl and treated it once a week. Yup it's work but if you look at the condition of some boats out there you have to wonder how someone can spend thousands on a boat then let it go.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
jrc

that crud is surprisingly easy to remove. I've use Slimey Grimey and Marikate on and off. Both work great.

The trick is to put it on when the boat is fresh out of the water. With Slimey you mix with hot water and spray with your garden sprayer. With Marikate, I buy the gel version and roll it on with a cheap paint roller. In either case let it do the work, the longer it sits the better. It will make the brown stains disappear. The waterline may take a lttle scrubbing. I clean a 35' boat with my wife in two hours, tops.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Winnaholic

Had the same feeling first time I left boat in the water all season. That first fall I tried everything to no avail, then someone turned me on to "Slimey Grimey". What a great product! This works fantastic and is safe to use for environment and yourself?try it $20 for a small tub does a 24' boat no problem.
Winnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've used Crystal Lakes hull & bottom cleaner and it works great. While my boat doesn't sit in the water for the season, it does now sit in the water while I'm at the camp weekends and up to a week or so while on vacation there. Even though it is in and out I get the old ring around the toilet look and can't deal with that! That bottom cleaner is basically an acid in crystal form you mix with water that will take off all that crud and return the hull to looking like new. Yes you need to wax afterwards which is a bit of a pain. Careful don't breathe this stuff in and should be throughly washed off afterwards, including any that gets on the trailer. Spray let sit for a little bit then use a soft scrub brush and it wipes that crap right off. Pretty amazing stuff.

One other word of advice, keep a close eye on your cathodic protection (zincs) attached to your stern drive. They should be cleaned once per year after the season is over. Eventually you'll need to replace them as they get all pitted and look like swiss cheese after a while.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default fresh water corrosion

Instead of zinc anode which is for salt water, use magnesium anode for fresh water.

I think all the new inboard outboards now uses aluminum anode which last longer and more environmentally friendly.

I use Easy On with a pressure washer immediately after hauling out the boat. I have been doing this for years with no stain on a white hull. The boat is in the water as early as March and usually out in December.

In the spring, I would wax the bottom with something cheap like Turtle wax. I leave the residue on.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
8gv

Great advice...keep it coming while I go source a hazmat suit!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
SAB1

If by chance when you finish cleaning and the hull is stained the orange color you cant get off, grab a sponge and some of this: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bar-...FQqk4AodeFAAbw

My neighbors boat was orange for years and guy I know told him he could get it off. We doubted it but he dropped the boat off Sunday. Picked it up Thursday and looked brand new. Unreal.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Need further help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
that crud is surprisingly easy to remove. I've use Slimey Grimey and Marikate on and off. Both work great.

The trick is to put it on when the boat is fresh out of the water. With Slimey you mix with hot water and spray with your garden sprayer. With Marikate, I buy the gel version and roll it on with a cheap paint roller. In either case let it do the work, the longer it sits the better. It will make the brown stains disappear. The waterline may take a lttle scrubbing. I clean a 35' boat with my wife in two hours, tops.
I must say I admire you. I tried to clean my boat with my wife, but she complained I was ruining her golf shirts and shorts, and her skin got all wrinkley. And it was hard to push her past the rollers on the trailer. How'd you do it????
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I must say I admire you. I tried to clean my boat with my wife, but she complained I was ruining her golf shirts and shorts, and her skin got all wrinkley. And it was hard to push her past the rollers on the trailer. How'd you do it????
My wife has a 265SSI Chaparral, I showed her once how to do it and she has been winterizing it ever since.
She pulls the engine plugs, adds antifreeze, washes the hull and waxes the entire boat. Oh and she launches and hauls it herself as well.
This year will be the first in 5 or 6 she does not have to winterize it because she racked it. Not bad for a corporate woman.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
jrc

He's just teasing about my phrasing. How about-My wife and I clean...

What are you some kind of an English teacher?
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Nope and yes to teasing.

Quote:

I do the same thing myself, and have been picked up on it too.

Sometimes something just jumps out at you, and tickles your funny bone. That one did just that for me..

Truth be known, I cleaned our boat this spring with my wife...came out looking great!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
John A. Birdsall

Default clean boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
It really is Easy. You get a six pack of beer, a recliner, hand her the brush, bucket, and soap, Point towards the boat and tell her the dishes can wait. Let us know how that works......
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
Blue Thunder

Default On and Off

By far the easiest and fastest way to take care of your issue is the aforementioned "On and Off" by MariKate. It comes by the quart and gallon. One quart used straight out of the bottle utilizing a cheap hardware store spray bottle is enough to do my 24 foot white hulled boat in less than an hour. You can get it at any good marina store or West Marine etc.

BT
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
It really is Easy. You get a six pack of beer, a recliner, hand her the brush, bucket, and soap, Point towards the boat and tell her the dishes can wait. Let us know how that works......
Sounds like you married the perfect woman! I bet you have a huge man cave. Are we invited to the next game?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
gf2020

Use this: http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/?s=MK2032

gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #18
8gv

Thanks to all for the tips... Now on to that noisy gimbal bearing
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Thanks to all for the tips... Now on to that noisy gimbal bearing
I'd recommend Paugus Bay Marina, great mechanics.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #20
ApS

Default Not the Whole Lake...

Quote:
"...The boat has a 12" brown scum stained area all around the waterline and the out drive is covered in what appears to be some sort of fresh water barnacles..."
It was reported here years ago, that the waters around Silver Sands will make a "brown scum" on the waterline. That poster didn't elaborate as to the cause.

There are probably several localized Lake Winnipesaukee areas with sufficient tannic acid in the waters to produce a "brown scum". This appearance is not indicative of any particular lake "issue".

On moored boats, our local waters produce a thin green growth—almost lawn-like—but very much like a "buzz-cut".

Here, we make our own "Chia-pets".

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #21
ITD

Quote:

Toss me over the fence my keys?
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #22
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I'd recommend Paugus Bay Marina, great mechanics.
Thanks. I'll use them to fix it if I screw it up. YouTube and google are my friends!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
tummyman

Default Barkeepers Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
If by chance when you finish cleaning and the hull is stained the orange color you cant get off, grab a sponge and some of this: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bar-...FQqk4AodeFAAbw

My neighbors boat was orange for years and guy I know told him he could get it off. We doubted it but he dropped the boat off Sunday. Picked it up Thursday and looked brand new. Unreal.
This stuff (Barkeepers Friend) really works. Used it on my boat today by applying small amounts with a sponge and it looks like new. Just rum the powder on....do not wet it much...just keep the sponge damp. All the brown crud disappeared. At $2-4 dollars, one can will last years. You can buy this in WALMART....right where they sell all their cleaning stuff, like Ajax, etc. etc. My wife uses this stuff all the time on kitchen pots, etc., bathroom things, etc. Try it.... BARKEEPERS FRIEND in the gold cardboard container.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
jrc

I finished the annual on cleaning with Marykate yesterday. Always fun. Took two quarts and about three hours. Seems like we did a look more socializing this year. The nice weather had everyone out and we chatted with friends while we worked.

At $12.99 a bottle, I wish we could use some Barkeepers Friend. I bet it would work eventually, I'm pretty sure all these types off cleaners are acids. The key difference is strengh.

Given the instance pain you feel when Marykate drips on your hands, it must be a lot stronger than Barkeepers. My rough guess on strength is Marykate, Slimey Grimey, CLR and then Barkeepers.

BTW the alkaline cleaners like 409, or Simple Green, bleach or a pressure washer does nothing for the stain. They may remove the slime, but the stain remains.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
tummyman

Spend $3 and buy a can of BarKeepers the next time you go by or in WALMART. You will fight with the misses as to who gets to use it. Just try it...use a damp sponge, pour some on it in a small area, and see for yourself. It really works. I did 35 lineal feet of lousy dark brown stains yesterday in 20 minutes. Spent another ten minutes on the rear transom. Never would have dreamed it would have worked soooo good. The "new" white finish equals the rest of the gunnels.....my sides of the boat haven't looked so good in years. Just wash off with plain water when done. No acid, nothing. Safe for the environment.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #26
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

The Barkeepers won't scratch the fiberglass?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
Blue Thunder

Quote:
I finished the annual on cleaning with Marykate yesterday. Always fun. Took two quarts and about three hours. Seems like we did a look more socializing this year. The nice weather had everyone out and we chatted with friends while we worked.

At $12.99 a bottle, I wish we could use some Barkeepers Friend. I bet it would work eventually, I'm pretty sure all these types off cleaners are acids. The key difference is strengh.

Given the instance pain you feel when Marykate drips on your hands, it must be a lot stronger than Barkeepers. My rough guess on strength is Marykate, Slimey Grimey, CLR and then Barkeepers.

BTW the alkaline cleaners like 409, or Simple Green, bleach or a pressure washer does nothing for the stain. They may remove the slime, but the stain remains.
Buy the gallon for $32, it keeps just fine from year to year. You must've chatted quite a bit. I did my 24 footer completely in 45 minutes yesterday. My hull is white again!!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
8gv

Default A question I'd not likely ask on the motorcycle forum...

Where can I buy Marykate?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #29
jrc

I usually get it at Parafunalia in Gilford, right across the street from Mountain view yacht club.

Most of the big marinas like Fay's usually have some as well but they can be hit or miss.