Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
jazzman

Default Summer Jobs

Curious if any of you have experience seeking summer jobs for your kids whilst enjoying the summer in the area... We're here full time (or can be) and I'd sure like to see my 16 year old doing something other than watching TV and playing video games all summer.

I don't see anything online for summer jobs in the Wolfeboro area... Do all the local businesses just have help wanted signs in their windows?

Of course we're island bound so that presents it's own set of issues... Makes a job that starts/ends while it's dark a challenge. Wouldn't be a fun trip in pouring rain either, but that doesn't happen so often during Jun-Aug.

Someone tried to tell me that you have to be 18 to pump gas. Seems odd since she can sure pump gas into her own car.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
JasonG

It has been 6 years since I have been up there, but I was at the lake frequently for 15 years prior. I always saw a lot of non american kids working at Weirs Beach. European, exchange students type stuff? They may have already taken the jobs.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #3
winnipiseogee

We live here year round and there are always lots of summer jobs for high school kids (ice cream places seem especially popular!). You are correct that I don't think these places need to advertise with much more than a sign in the window.

The only thing I could see possibly being an issue is the not working past dark but I'm sure there is something out there that will work. When you start coming up for weekend visits have her just go door to door at the businesses and ask if they will be hiring for the summer.
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
georgeisallheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Curious if any of you have experience seeking summer jobs for your kids whilst enjoying the summer in the area... We're here full time (or can be) and I'd sure like to see my 16 year old doing something other than watching TV and playing video games all summer.

I don't see anything online for summer jobs in the Wolfeboro area... Do all the local businesses just have help wanted signs in their windows?

Of course we're island bound so that presents it's own set of issues... Makes a job that starts/ends while it's dark a challenge. Wouldn't be a fun trip in pouring rain either, but that doesn't happen so often during Jun-Aug.

Someone tried to tell me that you have to be 18 to pump gas. Seems odd since she can sure pump gas into her own car.
Have you tried craigslist? If not that is where I would start. All you have to do is navigate to http://nh.craigslist.org/search/jjj and search the name of the city or town you are looking for a job in. Another good job search site is http://www.indeed.com. And last but not least you might want to also check out http://www.care.com which is another job search site that specializes in child care, senior care, pet care, and home care jobs. Good luck.

George
georgeisallheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
Janet

Try laconiadailysun.com. I've recently seen seasonal employment ads in their classifieds.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Misha888

Default I see . . .

a lot of Lakes Region establishments listing "job fairs" at their locations on FB. If you daughter is interested in restaurant work, I'm certain nights and weekends will be required.

Some establishments already have a network of local hires so they don't need to advertise and know the person or parent they hire. My friend owns a retail store downtown, and they're rarely open past 7 p.m. so retail may be the way to go.

My suggestion, like anything plan your search. Have your daughter seek the establishments she wants to work for and submit a letter/resume with interest.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post

Old 04-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
watkins40

We hire 16 and over to pump gas at our gas dock. They can be under 15 with a signed form from the parent. We are at Minge Cove Marina in Alton Bay. Send me a private message and I can email her an application. Summer gas dock hours run from Memorial Day until Labor Day. All holidays and weekends are required.
watkins40 is offline   Reply With Quote