Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Bass Pro Shops Hooksett NH

Looking forward to the new Bass Pro Shop opening this fall in Hooksett. 149,000 sq. ft. floor space Mega Store!
I believe it's going in the former Lowes at Rt. I-93 and I-293.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...46340616,d.dmg
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Yes it is going where the former LOWES was but interestingly enough there has been no sign yet of any activity there on that site at least as of a couple weeks ago. You'd think if they plan to open up this year something would be going on. Guess we'll see.

Only down side (for me) having it that close by is not good on the wallet!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Yes it is going where the former LOWES was but interestingly enough there has been no sign yet of any activity there on that site at least as of a couple weeks ago. You'd think if they plan to open up this year something would be going on. Guess we'll see.

Only down side (for me) having it that close by is not good on the wallet!
According to this newspaper they're planning a Christmas 2013 opening.

Quote:
HOOKSETT - Hooksett officials and Bass Pro Shop representatives are hammering out details on the plan for Bass Pro Shops to open in the former Lowe's building off Interstate 93's Exit 10 in time for this year's Christmas season.

A Bass Pro spokesperson indicated that while it wasn't yet clear how many people the store would hire, Bass Pro stores of this size tend to employ between 250 and 300 associates. Job postings for management positions can already by found on employment websites and Bass Pro's "career" pages.

The property is owned by 1 Bemis Reality, a condominium association that leases out buildings on the property off Commerce Drive to Walmart and Lowe's. The Hooksett Lowe's shut its doors in 2011 as a part of a statewide series of closures resulting in 289 layoffs. Lowe's, however, maintains its lease on the building.

"Lowe's still has the contract with the owner of the land, and my understanding is that, at least in the short term, Bass Pro is going to be sub-leasing from Lowe's," said Hooksett Town Administrator Dean Shankle.

According to Shankle, Bass Pro began cleaning out the Lowe's building last year.

The property owner, Michael King, stated that he knew nothing about the deal that he hadn't read in the press, and would not talk further due to confidentiality clauses in the lease agreements.

The 140,000-square-foot store is scheduled to open in time for this year's Christmas season. The retailer had made overtures to the town in 2009 about opening a shop in Hooksett, but those talks fell through, and the project was largely assumed to be dead until a Bass Pro press released in early March announced the coming store.

Town staff have been meeting with Bass Pro representatives and an architect contracted by the company so they can put together a report on the site regarding what the company needs going forward with the site, with the most recent meeting on April 4.

"They weren't really sure what they wanted to do, and they have wanted to come in and get more details," said Shankle. "We had sent them all the information before, but that's why the contractor was sent here to put together a report for them of what they might need to do. . They talked about signage, they talked about the highways, they talked about construction, the exterior, the interior. . Just going through some of the technical requirements from our point of view."

So far, the approvals the company will have to apply for appear to be few, as many of the necessary variances, such as for parking, were held by Lowe's. Also, as the Bass Pro doesn't appear to be planning to change the footprint of the site, no changes to the site plan will be necessary.

"The only reason they would need to go before (a town board), and it would probably be for a (zoning) variance more than the planning board, would be if they wanted to do something with a tower. My understanding is that they have a tower over 75 feet with some of their stores, but my understanding is that today that didn't come up as an issue, so I don't know if they plan on doing it," Shankle said.

Shankle noted that the company may want to expand the currently existing signage at the site, which would require a variance.

Bass Pro Shops, headquartered in Springfield, Mo, have made their brand combining retail, conservation, entertainment, and education. Also featured at the Hooksett store will be an "expansive" boat showroom, as well as "historic photos" and exhibits paying "tribute to the region's great outdoor heritage."
http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS02/130409411
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
dt5150

that'll be nice. i wish bass pro, cabelas, academy, sportsmans warehouse etc. would open a store in the lakes region...
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
that'll be nice. i wish bass pro, cabelas, academy, sportsmans warehouse etc. would open a store in the lakes region...
It just wouldn't work, to seasonal, the area dies off after Labor day.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
It just wouldn't work, to seasonal, the area dies off after Labor day.
I'm actually thinking it would have just the opposite effect...Look what LL Bean has done to Freeport.

Cabellas, Bass Pro and similar attract a large volume of people who are willing to travel long distances to go to their stores. I honestly think it could be the best thing to happen in the area!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
dt5150

absolutely. with all the winter sports and activities.. ice fishing, skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, etc. there's still a good amount of out-of-towners who come up this way. and having one of those stores here would draw even more. they'd do a good amount of business year round up here i think.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I'm actually thinking it would have just the opposite effect...Look what LL Bean has done to Freeport.

Cabellas, Bass Pro and similar attract a large volume of people who are willing to travel long distances to go to their stores. I honestly think it could be the best thing to happen in the area!

Dan
I have relatives from Nova Scotia who will be visiting this summer and guess what...they have to stop at LL Bean before they come here.

I'm sure that if either Cabala's or Bass Pro decided to setup a store in the Lakes Region it would have enough business to make a go of it.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
PaugusBayFireFighter

The Kittery Trading Post has stayed in business for a while, they are not dead after Labor Day. I think BPS will be great for the area. Tax free, for now, is also a lure for the people in Mass who don't want to drive to the Foxboro Bass Pro Shops. I'm waiting for the job fair to be announced. That would be a fun place to keep me busy.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
The Kittery Trading Post has stayed in business for a while, they are not dead after Labor Day. I think BPS will be great for the area. Tax free, for now, is also a lure for the people in Mass who don't want to drive to the Foxboro Bass Pro Shops. I'm waiting for the job fair to be announced. That would be a fun place to keep me busy.
"Tax free, for now..." You say as if it is about to change... Hopefully, that never happens!!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Grand Opening

Grand Opining Sunday Feb 23 with with events starting on the 19th.

From The Outdoor Wire http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/...056eapa1zf2m9k

Quote:
Local conservation groups to benefit from Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Center opening in Hooksett.

What:
Special Evening for Conservation and ribbon-cutting ceremony at Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Center in Hooksett, N.H.

Who:
Officials scheduled to attend include Bass Pro Shops Founder Johnny Morris, Bass Pro Shops Director of Conservation Martin Mac Donald, Bass Pro Shops Store Manager Robert Pope, and numerous officials and dignitaries

Where:
Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Center, 2 Commerce Drive, Hooksett

When:
Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014

Time:
Ribbon cutting ceremony will be 6-6:30 p.m.

HOOKSETT, N.H. - An all-star cast that reads like a 'who's who' in the world of sports, entertainment and the great outdoors joins together to help Bass Pro Shops celebrate a spectacular Evening for Conservation, Wednesday, Feb. 19, at 6 p.m. at the new Hooksett Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Center. The event will kick off the store's grand opening celebration that will continue through Sunday, Feb. 23.

Celebrities scheduled to appear and sign autographs Feb.19 include:
• Former NHL center for the Boston Bruins, Bob Sweeney
• Former right fielder for the Red Sox 1998-2006, Trot Nixon
• Cast members of National Geographic Channel's "Wicked Tuna" TV show, Bruce and Paul Hebert
• Former Bassmaster Angler of the Year, 4-time Bassmaster Elite Series winner, host of "Timmy Horton Outdoors" TV show, Timmy Horton
• RedHead Pro Hunting team members, Bob Foulkrod, Jerry Martin, and Rob Keck
• 2013 Miss New Hampshire, Samantha Russo

Legendary angler and television host Jimmy Houston, of "Jimmy Houston Outdoors" will serve as emcee for the event.

Musical entertainment for the evening will be provided by the bluegrass band, "Ryan Brooks Kelly." Max, the official mascot of the Manchester Monarchs, will make a special appearance.

Located at 2 Commerce Drive in Hooksett, the 139,000-square-foot store will officially open its doors for a preview celebration during the fundraising event and ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday, Feb.19 from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

For every dollar spent during the Evening for Conservation, 50 cents will be donated to the Wildlife Heritage Foundation of New Hampshire, Wetland American Trust of Ducks Unlimited, and the Wonders of Wildlife, The American National Fish and Wildlife Museum.

Local conservation groups and agencies on hand Wednesday evening will include the Quality Deer Management Association, Ducks Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Federation, National Rifle Association, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, New Hampshire Wildlife Federation, Wildlife Heritage Foundation of New Hampshire, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and Trout Unlimited. They will have booths and displays set up to create awareness about their ongoing efforts and local projects. In addition, the National Wild Turkey Federation will be selling Coca-Cola® products for $1. Monies collected for those sales will go directly to National Wild Turkey Federation.

Special displays throughout the event include:
• RCR's #3 NASCAR® Nationwide Series Bass Pro Shops® car and the Bass Pro Shops #14 Sprint® Cup Series show car Feb. 19-23.
• King of Bucks® mobile exhibit featuring the most distinguished array of trophy white-tailed deer mounts Feb. 19-23, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Bass Pro Shops, named as one of the "Top 10 Hottest Brands in America" by Advertising Age magazine, will continue to celebrate its 66th store's grand opening Thursday, Feb. 20 through Sunday, Feb. 23. The store will open at 8 a.m. Thursday and at 9 a.m. (normal opening hours) Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. Sunday.

The celebration includes special exhibits, storewide savings on a huge assortment of products, and fantastic giveaways. Experts on fishing, hunting, boating and more will be available to talk with customers. In addition, factory representatives from the industry's top manufacturers will be on hand to answer new product questions.

• Thursday, Feb. 20 - First 200 customers 18 years of age or older will receive a Bass Pro Shops gift card ranging in value from $5 to $100 in a logo tin.
• Friday, Feb. 21 - First 200 customers will receive a Columbia® Trail Summit™ beanie.
• Saturday, Feb. 22 - First 200 customers will receive a commemorative Hooksett Bass Pro Shops' logo drawstring bag.
• Sunday, Feb. 23 - First 200 customers will receive a Bass Pro Shops' commemorative limited edition fishing lure.

Visitors can also register to win a $50, $100 or a $200 gift card to be given away after the event.

The store offers the area's largest selection of quality gear for fishing, hunting, camping, boating and marine. Bass Pro Shops also offers equipment for hiking, backpacking, outdoor cooking and more. Shoppers will find outdoor apparel for men, women and children along with a selection of outdoor, casual and athletic footwear. A gift and nature center includes a wide variety of outdoor-related items from lamps and dishes to bird feeders and furniture.

Known for providing a fun outdoor experience indoors, a typical Bass Pro Shops retail store features more than 3,500 antiques and artifacts, up to 400 trophy fish and wildlife mounts, and many murals depicting local scenes.

Free Bass Pro Shops outdoor skills workshops will be offered throughout the year on a regular basis and will include topics such as outdoor cooking, nature photography, fly fishing, camping, archery and more. Bass Pro Shops is widely recognized for their efforts in conservation and outdoor education.

Bass Pro Shops will host more than 116 million people visiting their 83 stores and Tracker Marine Centers across America and Canada this year. The average customer stays two and a half hours and drives an average distance of 50 plus miles. The company also has been named by J.D. Powers & Associates as one of the top eight retailers in America for customer service excellence.

For more information about the Hooksett Bass Pro Shops Sportsman's Center, visit http://www.basspro.com/hooksett

Last edited by Slickcraft; 02-04-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add link
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Bass Pro Shop & Cabelas

I find the merchandise way over expensive. Usually I would go to the store to 'feel' the merchandise and often times able to find the goods a lot cheaper just by googling. I don't mind waiting a few days for shipment.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Usually I would go to the store to 'feel' the merchandise and often times able to find the goods a lot cheaper just by googling.
This is why I hope there are always brick and mortar stores. There are many things I'll buy online that I must hold in my hand or try on before I pull the trigger.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
Charlie T

Default Don't get me started

As the owner of a small brick and mortar store nothing gets me riled up more than to hear people brag about going into a store and checking out merchandise, wasting sales peoples time and then buying it for $.10 cheaper on the internet. Doesn't anyone have and scruples anymore? If you are so cheap that you have to have the absolute rock bottom price then buy it on the net, BUT... don't go to the store first to STEAL their time and soil the merchandise they have on display only to buy it on the net. The service you are getting at the local retailer has a cost. The retailer besides provide you with a service is providing a local job, perhaps to you or your neighbor and paying local tax's. The internet dealer provides you with no local job, no service, no answers, no support, no nothing except a cheap price. You get what you pay for..... don't steal what you are not paying for!

Many stores do what I do, we offer to price match any legitimate internet price when all factors such as shipping, assembly, training are calculated in. Give your local dealer a chance, believe me they want to work with you.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (02-08-2014), Descant (02-10-2014), diz (02-06-2014), ishoot308 (02-05-2014), Islander2 (02-23-2014), jmen24 (02-05-2014), pjard (02-05-2014), Tired of Waiting (02-10-2014), WakeboardMom (02-21-2014), Winnisquamguy (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
As the owner of a small brick and mortar store nothing gets me riled up more than to hear people brag about going into a store and checking out merchandise, wasting sales peoples time and then buying it for $.10 cheaper on the internet. Doesn't anyone have and scruples anymore? If you are so cheap that you have to have the absolute rock bottom price then buy it on the net, BUT... don't go to the store first to STEAL their time and soil the merchandise they have on display only to buy it on the net. The service you are getting at the local retailer has a cost. The retailer besides provide you with a service is providing a local job, perhaps to you or your neighbor and paying local tax's. The internet dealer provides you with no local job, no service, no answers, no support, no nothing except a cheap price. You get what you pay for..... don't steal what you are not paying for!

Many stores do what I do, we offer to price match any legitimate internet price when all factors such as shipping, assembly, training are calculated in. Give your local dealer a chance, believe me they want to work with you.
The thing is, most people aren't saving 10 cents online, they're saving 10 percent or more. On a $100+ item, that could be $10-$20 easily, enough to make it worthwhile in the buyers eyes.

I feel your pain, I used to have a home theater store forever ago.

Personally, I hate the whole "price match" philosophy. I don't want to haggle over everything I buy. Give me your best price up front. I don't mean take a loss, or sell at 5% over cost, which isn't sustainable.

Are you really getting THAT much foot traffic of people coming in and fondling the merchandise and "stealing" your time that it puts your business at risk?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
jmen24

Quote:

Personally, I don't even care if the store matches an online price (it is nice if they ask, but I will rarely bring it up), I just want to know that I can stand in front of a real person and discuss an issue I may have with the product or exchange for a different item.

I like ordering online as much as the next guy, but if it is an item that I need to put my hands on before ordering, I will just purchase it. At that point the anticipation would kill me! Running a small business myself, I will always look local first for anything I need.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #17
Bumble2249

I had no idea that this was happening! Great news!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:

Wow! You might want to let us know what your store is so we don't waste your time. Pretty harsh post from a business retailer to its potential customers so I'm sure you won't offer it. But what do we know cuz as you infer, we don't have any scrupels and just soil your merchandise and STEAL your time.
I really love this line "don't steal what you are not paying for". So if I come to your store and a sales person helps me I guess I am now obligated to buy something?
I understand your frustration and your point but it gets lost in your delivery.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #19
Charlie T

Default Don't twist my meaning please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wow! You might want to let us know what your store is so we don't waste your time. Pretty harsh post from a business retailer to its potential customers so I'm sure you won't offer it. But what do we know cuz as you infer, we don't have any scrupels and just soil your merchandise and STEAL your time.
I really love this line "don't steal what you are not paying for". So if I come to your store and a sales person helps me I guess I am now obligated to buy something?
I understand your frustration and your point but it gets lost in your delivery.
If you come into my store with a legitimate expectation that you may buy something you are a customer, you fully deserve my time and attention and you will get it! If you come in my store to simply look at my merchandise with absolutely no expectation of buying from me but with an expectation of buying from the internet you are being dishonest and without scruples. I treat all people who enter my place of business with respect and I expect the same from them. If they walk thru my door with less than sincere intentions and are there simply to take up my time they are not a customer.

Please don't try to twist the meaning of my words. I'm a legit business person who works hard to make an honest living. I treat my customers well and I have a right to expect the same from them. Without getting too preachy something about that "Golden Rule" thing that we hopefully were all taught but far too few remember.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
Islander2 (02-23-2014), RANGER CANOE CO (03-04-2014), WakeboardMom (02-21-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Default What I mean

If there is something I want, I would go to the store, check it out and buy. Most items, I would not check out elsewhere if I knew it is its only nickels and dime difference. It is the big tickets items that I would shop around, furniture, appliances, cars et al.

For instance furniture, I would look at a display model at a Meredith store and they gave me a 'sale' price of $1,400. The manufacturer website gave a suggested retail price of $1400. So where is the sale? A furniture store in Franklin offer the same couch for $1,000. The price quoted was their discount price. Big Lots has the same couch for $700. I bought the couch at a 20% off weekend for $550. I shopped around with the intention looking for a couch. I made no promises. BTW the Meredith store called and ask if I want to purchase. I told them I will be buying elsewhere. The caller says they will match. I counter if that was the 'sale' price they quote, why would they want to go lower? After much BS from the caller, I finally told them I bought it at Big Lots. That was a 'factory reject' they say. After hanging up I called the factory themselves and they assure me the couch I bought is what they will send to a top dollar store. If there was a defect it will be sold at a factory store.

What I am trying to get at is it is not easy to get a good price any more because of all the manure flying around. And one wonders why salesmen get a bad rap! So it pays to do your homework!
Bumble2249 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

The words are your words, not mine. It must be a wonderful gift to know what people intentions are. Do you question them first? I would have to guess that people probably purchase about 1/10th of what they look at while shopping. Again, I understand your point but your approach on these posts are puzzling to me.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post

Personally, I hate the whole "price match" philosophy. I don't want to haggle over everything I buy. Give me your best price up front. I don't mean take a loss, or sell at 5% over cost, which isn't sustainable.
I have to agree, price matching sucks. I ignore price matching when making a buy decision.

Small specialty store can't have it both way, you can't charge me crazy prices for the convenience and then get mad when I shop online. If you want the big mark-up you have to live with the limited customers. 7-11 isn't crying because I buy most of my groceries at Market Basket. They are plenty happy I bought a $2.00 Coke in a hurry instead of $3.00 for a dozen at MB.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (02-11-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (02-10-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
GTO

Default Best Buy

Quote:

Best Buy is a prime example of this going on. People will go into Bestbuy, look, feel, try, and get all the advice from the "pros" and then they will go buy it online for alot cheaper. BestBuy loses more money year after year and will probably be the next big box store to go out. I admit, I am guilty of this practice but not with the intention of hurting the local economy, its the intention of saving money in my own pocket.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
Charlie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
The words are your words, not mine. It must be a wonderful gift to know what people intentions are. Do you question them first? I would have to guess that people probably purchase about 1/10th of what they look at while shopping. Again, I understand your point but your approach on these posts are puzzling to me.
My company sells High End Pro Audio gear. Think large professional performance venues and such. Much of what we sell requires specialized knowledge and training to operate PROPERLY . When a customer comes into our store we often spend 4 or 5 hours sometimes more with them inquiring about their exact needs, their level of expertise and any other operators who will be using the gear. We demonstrate the various different options the customer has and explain why something is or isn't a good choice for them. We are what is called a "value added retailer" this is something you will never get from an internet source. Perhaps with this further explanation of what we do and what we add to the sale you can see why I'm so opposed to showrooming We don't sell washing machines or coffee makers, we sell specialized gear and offer specialized service. If you walk into a retailer and partake of services such as those that we provide to our customers with no intention of making a purchase in that store...... What would you call it? I know what I call it. Food for thought
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (02-14-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #25
bigdog

Default Bass Pro Shops Hooksett NH

As much as I love Bass Pro Shops, wondering how they will affect 'Riley's Sport Shop' (Hooksett) business?

Will this be another big-box chain store putting the little guy out of business?
Hope not !

Riley's has been a fixture in Hooksett for many years ! Would hate to see them be another victim of big business.

Time will tell........
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #26
BroadHopper

Default Hi Charlie_T

You may have notice in another thread some of us 'Baby Boomers' still use our tried and True Marantz, McIntosh tube amplifiers and big box speakers. As for High End Audio, that is as far as I will go. I did on occasion with the kids check out the 'digital' ware and unfortunately I am not impress so to each his or her own. If you carry the old 'analog' goodies I will guarantee you will get a different demographic coming to your store. A specialty item is a huge draw!

The kids love listening to music on my '70's and they agree the music is much more mellow and easier to listen to. I read somewhere in an audiophile magazine 'tubes' and vinyl records are making a comeback!

The ol audio system can not hold a candle to today's theater system. I do admit that. But music is a whole different category.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #27
Charlie T

Angry Boomer myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
You may have notice in another thread some of us 'Baby Boomers' still use our tried and True Marantz, McIntosh tube amplifiers and big box speakers. As for High End Audio, that is as far as I will go. I did on occasion with the kids check out the 'digital' ware and unfortunately I am not impress so to each his or her own. If you carry the old 'analog' goodies I will guarantee you will get a different demographic coming to your store. A specialty item is a huge draw!

The kids love listening to music on my '70's and they agree the music is much more mellow and easier to listen to. I read somewhere in an audiophile magazine 'tubes' and vinyl records are making a comeback!

The ol audio system can not hold a candle to today's theater system. I do admit that. But music is a whole different category.
Broadhopper. I may sell the latest computer based Digital Signal processed sound gear but my own home stereo has old Huge 1970's vintage JBL studio monitors. The new gear is sure fun to work with on certain levels and on with my high $$ computer test gear it measures ruler flat but the old stuff is more musical at least to these ears.
When I design a system for a high end performance venue the client and I have one set of expectations and criteria, when I'm listening at home it's a totally different story. BTW and for the record we don't sell any home stereo gear. For a 30,000 seat amphitheater I'm your guy, for a 6 seat living room with surround....... nope not a clue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-12-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #28
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
As much as I love Bass Pro Shops, wondering how they will affect 'Riley's Sport Shop' (Hooksett) business?

Will this be another big-box chain store putting the little guy out of business?
Hope not !

Riley's has been a fixture in Hooksett for many years ! Would hate to see them be another victim of big business.

Time will tell........
I doubt it. If anyone has anything to worry about it'd be shooter's outpost because they have far more overhead and haven't been around long. You're right time will tell, if they are able to establish the kind of volume, especially in the used market on par with what Kittery does, yeah Riley's, shooters outpost and even Lewis may be in trouble long term.

On new stuff, the mark up is pretty much the same no matter where you go, all the money is made on trade ins.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #29
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Riley's will endure...

When Home Depot came into Rochester NH literally across the street from Brock's, most people felt that would be the end of Brock's. Then Lowes came into Rochester, and the general feeling was that this would be end of Brock's. Well, it is 5 years later, and Brock's is still going strong, due to their loyal clientele, their customer service, and their ability to deliver goods and service so well.

Riley's will survive for the same reason. They know their customers, and their customers know them. Bass Proshops will do well, but probably will not pull that many customers away from Riley's. Walmart and other big box stores that sell firearms and sporting goods may suffer.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
When Home Depot came into Rochester NH literally across the street from Brock's, most people felt that would be the end of Brock's. Then Lowes came into Rochester, and the general feeling was that this would be end of Brock's. Well, it is 5 years later, and Brock's is still going strong, due to their loyal clientele, their customer service, and their ability to deliver goods and service so well.

Riley's will survive for the same reason. They know their customers, and their customers know them. Bass Proshops will do well, but probably will not pull that many customers away from Riley's. Walmart and other big box stores that sell firearms and sporting goods may suffer.
I agree with Uppy - Riley's will continue to do well. Not only have they been in operation for many decades, most of their sales people are excellent and they will take whatever time you need to answer your questions and demonstrate the merchandise.

Another large gun shop opened in Hooksett last year in direct competition with Riley's ... Shooter's Outpost. It's on Rt. 3 just a few miles from Riley's, not far from Rt. 93 (Exit 9). Shooter's Outpost is a large, two-floor store with an excellent selection of firearms and ammo, yet Riley's is still quite busy whenever I stop by.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #31
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

In fact the Brock's people have told me it helped their business because people were there. It brought in store traffic.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-17-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #32
PaugusBayFireFighter

The new Bass Pro Shop is a lot smaller than the other BPS stores. Still has plenty of product but nothing like the displays in Foxboro. This was the old Lowes so they only had so much to work with. They did what they could turning a home improvement store into a BPS.
While inquiring about a firearm the clerk told me they would match local shops. He mentioned Shooters and Riley's and Kittery. They may not hurt the local gun shops but they aren't shy about trying.
Attached Images

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 02-20-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #33
Rich

At least (so far) Bass Pro has had some ammo in stock (even 22LR). I can't say the same for the other local shops (it's hit or miss).

Hopefully the drought is almost over.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #34
JasonG

Bit of an off beat questions/observation. Why are there no major big box marine/outdoor stores in NH? Granted I moved away 5 years ago, but I do not recall a west marine around the lakes region, or any full LL Bean (not outlet) type of store in the area. Is it just too quiet in the off season?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #35
jmen24

We have a few, Dicks Sporting Goods is all over the state. There is a full LL Bean store at the Powerhouse Mall in West Lebanon. LL Bean has lost considerable market share, now that their products are no longer made in Maine, but in China.

Honestly, I believe there is not enough year round draw to support a really large box store, that is why we continue to see these watered down versions of what are really impressive store; Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.

The amount of overhead in a large retail store is staggering. Putting something like that so far from the main travel routes and major markets, is a fools deal. I have always felt that the Lakes region only feels like the hot spot, because there is no way to avoid the bottle necks around the lake.

Folks are not going to drive that far out of their way to get something they can get online. Or at a more convenient location.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #36
camp guy

Default Bass Pro Shops...

jmen24 is totally right, and I would add "quality" to the list of reasons for customer erosion. Some people, for a variety of reasons, are not going to buy products made off-shore, but some people don't really care about the quality of an item. Some items have become 'throw-away' products, last for one season, be replaced for the next.

Personally, I like to go to a store and actually handle the item I intend to buy, be it a tool, or a sporting item, or a clothing item. If I see an off-shore labeled item, then I am out the door.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #37
HellRaZoR004

Drove by with intentions of visiting around 1pm today. The line of cars were about 1 mile in either direction to turn into the parking lot. Gave up and went to Home Depot instead.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #38
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Drove by with intentions of visiting around 1pm today. The line of cars were about 1 mile in either direction to turn into the parking lot. Gave up and went to Home Depot instead.
I heared the fire alarm system at BPS was tripped a couple of times yesterday forcing a packed store to exit the building. The mass exodus from the parking lot caused a huge traffic jam.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #39
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
jmen24 is totally right, and I would add "quality" to the list of reasons for customer erosion. Some people, for a variety of reasons, are not going to buy products made off-shore, but some people don't really care about the quality of an item. Some items have become 'throw-away' products, last for one season, be replaced for the next.

Personally, I like to go to a store and actually handle the item I intend to buy, be it a tool, or a sporting item, or a clothing item. If I see an off-shore labeled item, then I am out the door.
I agree with you here. I read somewhere LL Bean sales have been down in part due to merchandise made in China labeled and priced as 'high quality'. I am hoping people would wake up with a 'made in USA' conscience instead of 'throw away'.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #40
HomeWood

We just got a new BPS this month here in Cary, NC (next to Raleigh). The traffic in and out is insane. It's nothing like Foxboro, MA but it'll do just fine! I look forward to the hype settling down. I love going to Foxboro BPS when I go back home to visit.

And we are getting a Cabela's in 2015 down the street from me. I'm gonna be broke!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #41
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We took a look on Friday of opening week but it was too crowded to really look abound. We did pick up some .22 LR bulk ammo then.

We went down again early this morning to take a careful look around. As I am not a fisherman I have no opinion of their large fishing section. Some observations in other areas:

Shooting: They don't deal at all in used guns and have no plans to. There is no gunsmith in the store and no plans to have one. There is no fine guns section and no plans to have one. The reloading section is not as complete as Riliey's or KTP. They have a good supply of ammo but no bargains (no .22 today but more expected). There is no way that they will put Riley's out of business.

Clothing: I looked at the men's and my wife at the ladies clothing. There is a pretty good selection of what looked like a little above Walmart, maybe Target grade. However they don't compete at all with KTP or Cabela's for either selection or quality.

Camping supplies: Looked like an isle in a large Walmart.

Overall may be worth a visit occasionally if nearby anyway but I would not make a special trip to go there.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-28-2014), Orion (02-28-2014), Pineedles (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #42
Pineedles

Thanks Slickcraft for your review. Their name pretty much says it all, Bass Pro. My son is the avid bass fisherman and he prefers Bass Pro over Cabelas. I hunt and fish as well, and prefer Cabelas, but not over my local gun store.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #43
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default I Liked It!

I went also and thought they had a beautiful boating supply section that carried just about everything including a lot of trailer parts and acessories. To me this was the best part of the entire place...

Fishing department was very well stocked as well not just for bass fishing but pretty much everything except maybe ice fishing...

Men's clothing includes the "Red Head" brand which I have always liked and purchased and consider to be of good quality.

They also have a nice Archery section with a good assortment of bows and accessories. I wouldn't expect the same service that a small localized shop will give you but plenty of merchandise to look at.

AS far as guns go, they have a good selection of your basic mass produced firearms and lots of ammo to go with it. They won't hurt Rileys one bit as far as I am concerned...

I personally feel if your in the area its well worth a visit...

Dan
Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #44
SIKSUKR

Yesterday BPS was the only one between the 3 that had 9mm ammo. Still a 2 box limit as has been the case for the better part of a year.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #45
BroadHopper

Sounds like the crowd has fizzle fast! I guess it is safe to go?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #46
Rich

Do yourself a favor if you can, go during the week, during normal 'working' hours.

Week nights won't be as busy as the week end.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #47
SIKSUKR

My business partner was there on Monday at 1 Pm and said the lot was pretty much full but had no issues with over crowding/traffic.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #48
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

So I went today as well. The parking was terrible and the lot is small. even for a Lowe's. The store is much smaller than the other BP's I have been in. I had checked a few things out on line that I was interested in and made my way to find those items inside. Well I'll tell ya the prices were a good ten to twenty percent higher than the online prices I found. I am pretty certain they are setting the prices higher until the crowds drop. The handgun/rifle section was set up as a deli style, get your number first before being serviced. Hand gun prices were fairly priced. Good selection however they had only one Sig Sauer and it was a .22. Yes the had ammo but were limiting how much anyone bought. I was surprised that onyone was paying the prices they were asking for ammo. I'd never pay $28.00 for 9mm when you can get the same thing online for $5.00 less a box. So anyway the store is nice. I hope they do well. I'll go back when all the hype is down.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #49
SIKSUKR

Rileys and Shooters are generally around $15 box/50.