Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default A Lone Kayaker

It was nice out today but I would have passed on doing this. I shot this brave soul from Lincoln Park in Gilford this afternoon. Is this someone from here?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I could see doing it...

I think I would have to have on at least a wet suit, if not a dry suit. If you ever tipped over, it would not take long for hyperthermia to take over.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
rick35

But he had his Sorel's on.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
Knomad

Without wearing a life jacket, he would never make it to the hypothermia stage.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
chachee52

I was actually thinking of heading up to do the same exact thing. But got a bad cold and was on the couch all weekend.
But as mentioned, I have a wet suit and would have a life jacket too.
But even if I didn't have a wetsuit I probably wouldn't be wearing jeans.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
fatlazyless

.....u take a bad chance doing that ..... if you flip over into water over your head with no flotation .....you can maybe drown in 60-seconds by the sudden powerful cold impact of the ice water and gasping in a small amount of icy water into your lungs .... and drowning is a very painful and agonizing way to die ..... seems like drinking too much adult beverage can sometimes lead to taking unnecessary risks like this?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
8gv

While you guys are busy talking about the risk of hypothermia, did anyone notice the REAL problem in the picture???

There's no motor!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Scott's Yott (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
KarmaGirl

This is my nephew, Raoul! He lives with his mother at Broadview and is from Colorado, where he skis almost every day. He loves being on the lake on calm days, even if the temp is freezing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarmaGirl For This Useful Post:
Rusty (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
While you guys are busy talking about the risk of hypothermia, did anyone notice the REAL problem in the picture???

There's no motor!
I thought the "REAL problem" was that no one from Darwin Awards was there to document the event! My bad!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
GTO

Default this air maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGirl View Post
This is my nephew, Raoul! He lives with his mother at Broadview and is from Colorado, where he skis almost every day. He loves being on the lake on calm days, even if the temp is freezing!

Does the thin air from Colorado effect the part of the brain that controls common sense?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I agree, that is just plain stupid. If he falls in he will immediately be paralyzed and drown. End of story.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
Lakegeezer

Default Manageable risk

Consider another point of view. If someone has used a kayak over and over, year after year, and not fallen in, the risk of falling in on a low-wind / no-wake day is very low. Before calling other people's actions stupid, consider the context of weather, experience, craft and history. How many have died over the last 20 years while kayaking in winter? We all take risks in our pursuit of happiness and shouldn't be so quick to impose our personal level of comfort on those willing to live closer to the edge.
billy (02-08-2016), Bob G (02-09-2016), Broken Glass (02-08-2016), Cobalt 25 (02-08-2016), Greene's Basin Girl (02-11-2016), HellRaZoR004 (02-08-2016), ishoot308 (02-08-2016), KPW (02-08-2016), LFOD (02-08-2016), LIforrelaxin (02-08-2016), minni on winni (02-10-2016), Misty Blue (02-09-2016), Pine Island Guy (02-08-2016), Pineedles (02-08-2016), rander7823 (02-10-2016), Reilly (02-08-2016), Rusty (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #13
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGirl View Post

Good for him and thank you for informing us.
Cobalt 25 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #14
GTO

Default good sceniro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Consider another point of view. If someone has used a kayak over and over, year after year, and not fallen in, the risk of falling in on a low-wind / no-wake day is very low. Before calling other people's actions stupid, consider the context of weather, experience, craft and history. How many have died over the last 20 years while kayaking in winter? We all take risks in our pursuit of happiness and shouldn't be so quick to impose our personal level of comfort on those willing to live closer to the edge.
Tell that to the 2 guys in center harbor that went over in their Jon boat a few years ago
secondcurve (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Have to agree with Lakegeezer on this one...While it's something I personally wouldnt do, we all love and laugh at the the guy dressed in a Santa suit who jumps in the frozen water every year on cow island and then posts the video here. He has no life preserver on, he could die in 60 seconds from hypothermia, he could have a heart attack from the cold water shocking him, it's kinda stupid etc, etc, but no one here piles on that guy.

This guy looks like he is enjoying his day and I bet he already has or had a mother and father to worry about him. I say leave him alone, let him live life they way he chooses.

Dan
Cobalt 25 (02-08-2016), LFOD (02-08-2016), LIforrelaxin (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #16
Newbiesaukee

I totally agree that the kayaker has every right to do as he pleases.

On the other hand, not everyone on the Forum is aware of the risk, specifically how cold water can be a very rapidly developing problem if you fall in.

Nothing wrong with pointing out the risk and unnecessary to criticize the kayaker.

As has been said in a number of ways:

It's all fun and games until somebody dies and then it's a sport.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #17
secondcurve

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Something as simple as a shifting of the kayaker's weight could trigger a disaster. Having heavy clothes and boots on might be the element that leads to such a mistake. Therefore, from my perspective it is reckless and if something unforeseen happens this fellow would likely place first responders in serious danger.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #18
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Something as simple as a shifting of the kayaker's weight could trigger a disaster. Having heavy clothes and boots on might be the element that leads to such a mistake. Therefore, from my perspective it is reckless and if something unforeseen happens this fellow would likely place first responders in serious danger.
Exactly. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. But once you fall into that cold water, especially with heavy clothes on as you said, if you survive, you have a totally new respect for how dangerous the cold water is.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #19
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Have to agree with Lakegeezer on this one...While it's something I personally wouldnt do, we all love and laugh at the the guy dressed in a Santa suit who jumps in the frozen water every year on cow island and then posts the video here. He has no life preserver on, he could die in 60 seconds from hypothermia, he could have a heart attack from the cold water shocking him, it's kinda stupid etc, etc, but no one here piles on that guy.

This guy looks like he is enjoying his day and I bet he already has or had a mother and father to worry about him. I say leave him alone, let him live life they way he chooses.

Dan
"Live Free or Die"
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunbeam lodge For This Useful Post:
diprna (07-27-2016), garysanfran (02-08-2016), Gavia immer (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
"Live Free or Die"
Emphasis on "Die" and that can include first responders.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
tis (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #21
playinghooky

Default Live , Freeze and Die

In this case I believe the statement should be "Live, Freeze and Die".

Just kidding. I have no problem with what this gentleman is doing, other than he should be wearing his life jacket. I have been kayaking for years and have never tipped over. Kayaks are very stable. Not saying he couldn't have a heart attack and die, but that could also happen on dry land. If he is enjoying what he is doing why should others object? People do the polar plunge and don't die instantly. I would think if something happened he would have at least a minute to climb back onto the kayak.
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #22
NoBozo

Default My Experience. Through the ice.

I HAVE "Gone In" the water while ice boating. I was wearing an insulated "Snow Mobile Suit"..40 years ago. Slow motion into the water on a Thin patch of ice. YES: it was a shock..Shrinkage comes to mind.

The water fills in your suit and pretty much warms up in short order. Not all that uncomfortable. I maneuvered around and was able to extricate myself by walking up the sail to firm ice.. The Ice Boat was lying on its side and the top of the mast was on good ice.

When i got out of the water on firm ice..I still had a problem: Getting the ice boat out of the water. I went BACK into the water (Up to my shoulders) to un-rig the boat so as to make it easier to remove it from the water.

Myself and fellow ice boaters got the boat out, and RE-Rigged it ....a friend loaned me a DRY snowmobile suit and I sailed back to shore.

Going in the water is not so big a deal as some would make out. THEY haven't been there.

I have another story....a little more serious about an Ice boater "Going In", if anyone is interested. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #23
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by playinghooky View Post
In this case I believe the statement should be "Live, Freeze and Die".

Just kidding. I have no problem with what this gentleman is doing, other than he should be wearing his life jacket. I have been kayaking for years and have never tipped over. Kayaks are very stable. Not saying he couldn't have a heart attack and die, but that could also happen on dry land. If he is enjoying what he is doing why should others object? People do the polar plunge and don't die instantly. I would think if something happened he would have at least a minute to climb back onto the kayak.
Playing hooky:

If this guy fell off his kayak he would almost certainly die. It is plan and simple. You simply don't understand what hypothermia does to a person and this lack of understanding is what kills so many.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #24
NoBozo

Default Glad You Asked

Lake Atitash. It's just off I-95..just north of the Mass border. It was New Years Day. .... 40 some years ago...The ambient temp was 50 degrees. Bright and sunny. An old coot was sailing around in light air and sailed in to a hole.

He was in the water for maybe a half hour. They finally got him out and "Walked" him back over the ice (1/4 mile ) to his VW Camper with the heater going full bore. He was pretty cold but he thawed out in the camper with no ill effects.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #25
8gv

The kayaker is doing something that falls beyond the risk tolerance most of us share.

There are many activities that seem too risky for most people. Examples that come to mind include:

Flying in one of those "little airplanes".
Riding a dirt bike.
Spelunking.

Nearly every activity has steps that can be taken to manage the risk. In this case, a PFD worn by the kayaker could save his life or at least help with the recovery. I wouldn't be kayaking at all with the water so cold but I support his right to do so.

This discussion reminds me of driving. The folks tailgating me are maniacs and the ones in front of me are slow pokes!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:34 PM   #26
KPW

Default You just need the right gear!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...B67&FORM=VIRE2
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:12 AM   #27
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
The kayaker is doing something that falls beyond the risk tolerance most of us share.

There are many activities that seem too risky for most people. Examples that come to mind include:

Flying in one of those "little airplanes".
Riding a dirt bike.
Spelunking.

Nearly every activity has steps that can be taken to manage the risk. In this case, a PFD worn by the kayaker could save his life or at least help with the recovery. I wouldn't be kayaking at all with the water so cold but I support his right to do so.

This discussion reminds me of driving. The folks tailgating me are maniacs and the ones in front of me are slow pokes!
I'm ok with people doing stupid things. However, when you potentially put others in harms way that is where I draw the line.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #28
tis

I like people to be allowed to do what they want too, and if this is what he wants to do, then let him do it. I do agree with secondcurve though, that I hate to see rescuers be endangered by having to rescue someone who didn't use their head.

I have had first hand experience ( I think I have written this before on here) falling into the lake when the ice is just out. We had just brought the boat home and I went on the back transom to tie the boat to the dock post. I had on heavy boots, a sweatshirt, heavy parker, sweatpants. When I stepped down I slipped and fell into the lake. Fortunately it was only about up to my chest but I was paralyzed. I could not move. I could not lift my foot. The boot was heavy and the water was so cold, I was frozen in place. Somehow I finally managed to move and step by step walked out of the lake, but I can tell you it was a very scary experience. It was all I could do to force myself to move. I never ever hope to feel that again.

I also had a relative who died on the lake waterskiing on Columbus weekend. It was a dreary rainy weekend and though you wouldn't think you could get hypothermia on a weekend with the water at that temperature, he did. He was young and healthy and it was a shock to all of us.

Also, a friend and his father were canoeing in the spring when the water was still cold and they tipped over and they made it out, but it was very close. They never went again when the water was that cold. We can all say we will never tip over but things do happen. I have never before or since slipped off the back of the boat either.

So, those of you who want to, should do what you want, it is your life. I just hope you don't endanger a rescuers life if you get into trouble.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (02-09-2016), kawishiwi (04-04-2016), secondcurve (02-09-2016), trfour (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #29
Cobalt 25

Jeeez, the poor guy goes out for a near-shore run on a beautiful day and the next thing you know he dies if he tips over.

Judging by what I saw HIM doing where and when he was doing it, I would say he was being responsible.

The only observation I might add is that it looks like there may be an orange PFD behind him. It probably would have been better for him to be wearing it.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt 25 For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #30
noreast

I assure you the 1st responders are quite capable of doing there job without dying. As usual a little over sensationalized on here.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #31
8gv

The concept of one's personal behavior putting recuers at risk is interesting.

There are many activities that could put others at risk. Some are more direct, some are less so.

If I eat too many cheeseburgers and have a heart attack, am I putting the ambulance crew and those in their path, at risk?

If I screw up and overload my woodstove, am I putting fire fighters at risk?

There is a line, albeit blurred, somewhere. I hope that society's views on risk don't result in all of us sitting around doing nothing.

Oh wait, that has its own set of risks as well!
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-05-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #32
AC2717

Good for him being able to enjoy the lake at this time of the year!

Period.
Cobalt 25 (02-09-2016), gator8 (02-09-2016), minni on winni (02-10-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #33
KarmaGirl

His, and our, thought exactly! Thanks!

KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarmaGirl For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (02-10-2016), Rusty (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #34
Outdoorsman

Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I HAVE "Gone In" the water while ice boating. I was wearing an insulated "Snow Mobile Suit"..40 years ago. Slow motion into the water on a Thin patch of ice. YES: it was a shock..Shrinkage comes to mind.

The water fills in your suit and pretty much warms up in short order. Not all that uncomfortable. I maneuvered around and was able to extricate myself by walking up the sail to firm ice.. The Ice Boat was lying on its side and the top of the mast was on good ice.

When i got out of the water on firm ice..I still had a problem: Getting the ice boat out of the water. I went BACK into the water (Up to my shoulders) to un-rig the boat so as to make it easier to remove it from the water.

Myself and fellow ice boaters got the boat out, and RE-Rigged it ....a friend loaned me a DRY snowmobile suit and I sailed back to shore.

Going in the water is not so big a deal as some would make out. THEY haven't been there.

I have another story....a little more serious about an Ice boater "Going In", if anyone is interested. NB
I am calling BS on this one.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
GTO (02-09-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #35
PENIVISA

Default Marine Patrol Reports

As reported in the Boston Herald today a 17 year old girl tipped over in a kayak in jockey cove Wolfeboro due to high winds and wasn't wearing a life jacket. Was hospitalized for possible hypothermia.
Frigid water, no jacket, Thank God she`s going to be okay
PENIVISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #36
Twox48

It may not be the law in NH ,but in Mass, the law states that life preservers must be worn by canoeists/kayakers from September 15 - May 15.

Personally, my common sense prevails when I cross the border into NH and I would wear one at this time of year...but it is the Live Free or Die state so it's their own choice I guess.
Twox48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #37
kawishiwi

Default Ok, but...

Quote:
"Stupid is as stupid does"

No apparent life jacket being worn, laced up Sorels, 45 degree water....is literally seconds from death. Sudden immersion drowning in cold water is often over before the splash settles. The freedom to be insanely stupid is his. But how much will the search & rescue effort and the cold water divers cost to drag his carcass out of 70 fow?
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #38
kawishiwi

Default Please also review...

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/ColdShock.html
http://completeguide.rnli.org/cold-water-shock.html
Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #39
Zeke

He is more alive in the kayak, than those who critique from a couch on their keyboards.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #40
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

She's 17!!...what teenager at that age doesn't make mistakes. I'm thankful she survived and hopefully learned a lesson like we ALL did at that age.

I think back when I was 17 and wonder how I ever survived!!

Dan
rander7823 (04-05-2016), upthesaukee (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #41
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
She's 17!!...what teenager at that age doesn't make mistakes. I'm thankful she survived and hopefully learned a lesson like we ALL did at that age.

I think back when I was 17 and wonder how I ever survived!!

Dan
Exactly, could have died many times over from young stupidity. Thank God she's ok. Just goes to show you have to continue to talk to the kids, even when they're old enough to know better.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #42
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Well no BS here, two weeks ago I was in the water for ~3 hours putting in my dock wearing a 7MM wetsuit. While I didn't freeze to death I would not have said it was terribly "comfortable" either. The water was 36 degrees.

I would NOT want to be in that water with anything less on I'll tell you that much.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #43
kawishiwi

Default Oh please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
He is more alive in the kayak, than those who critique from a couch on their keyboards.
I've climbed Ranier, guided whitwater rafting on sect. 4 of the Chatooga, Winter backpacked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, taught basic rockclimbing, led more than 100 teenagers on wilderness paddling and bacpacking trips far beyond the closest dirt road and in all that and beyond I never did anything as disturbinginly stupid as what that kayaker did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-04-2016), WakeboardMom (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #44
jeffk

I don't go out in my kayak on a beautiful summer day without my lifejacket and the reality of hypothermia is unforgiving.

Lots of people do very foolish things and get away with it. There are always a few who don't. I've never thought much of Russian Roulette.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #45
LongshotLombard

Cool man on the COLD lake.

A MAN must know his limitations, my limitation on this, going into ice cold water, is ........I will use the hot tub, risky yes, but thje undertaker will never get the smile off my face. ..Party On.
LongshotLombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #46
Billy Bob

Default Even crazier

You think this guy is nuts , in New Hampshire you can drive with no seat belt on ! That's even more dangerous !
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 AM   #47
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
You think this guy is nuts , in New Hampshire you can drive with no seat belt on ! That's even more dangerous !
Actually, you can drive in any state with no seatbelt on although they are installed in every car. In other states, they will give you a ticket to coerce you into wearing your seat belt. In New Hampshire it's your choice, even if it may be a poor one.

Do you think that the Marine Patrol should have pulled this guy over and given him a ticket for being on the water without a life jacket? I would like to see tickets issued for driving 10 MPH less than the speed limit. That's proven to be dangerous as well as being annoying.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote