Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
ronc4424

Default Speeder convicted.....$93.00 fine

LACONIA — A city man is among the first boaters to be convicted under the new speed limit law on Lake Winnipesaukee.

According to a complaint filed in the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia District Division, by the New Hampshire Marine Patrol, Michael J. Monterio, 47, of 164 Lake St., Laconia, was stopped on Lake Winnipesaukee in Meredith on Sept. 10 at 11:30 p.m.

The citation charges that Monterio was driving a 1987 Formula powerboat at 50 mph. The complaint doesn’t detail either the size or horsepower of the boat.

Monterio initially pleaded not guilty on Sept. 22, but changed his plea to guilty on Dec. 5.

Judge James M. Carroll IV found him guilty and fined him $93.

According to Chapter 270-D that governs general rules for vessels operating on the water, no person shall operate a vessel on Lake Winnipesaukee at a speed greater than is reasonable under the existing conditions. The rule also sets a speed limit of 30 mph during the period of a half of an hour after sunset to a half of an hour before sunrise, and 45 mph at any other time.

Any conviction for speeding while operating a boat is reported to the commissioner of the Department of Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles, and becomes a part of the motor vehicle driving record of the defendant.

Lieutenant Tim Dunleavy of the New Hampshire Marine Patrol has previously reported that, through the month of July, officers made 21 boating stops for excessive speed, issuing six citations and 15 warnings.

Five of the stops occurred during the nighttime, with the remaining stops being made during daylight hours.

Three of the stops were personal watercraft, and one a jet boat, all less than 20 ft. in length. One 50 ft. cigarette-style boat was stopped on four separate occasions, according to Dunleavy.

There were four stops of boats between 21 and 25 feet in length, five vessels between 26 and 30 feet in length and four of crafts between 31 and 35 feet in length, according to Dunleavy.

He did not return a call on Wednesday seeking the latest statistics tracked by Marine Patrol.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Doing 50 MPH at night is just plain foolish and unsafe, don't need a speed limit to know that.

However if we're going to have one, this is what it's there for. Glad to see it being used wisely, this guy is an idiot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
cameoroxx1 (03-16-2012), Pineedles (12-14-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
GusMan

Default Interesting case.....

This case brings up a couple questions....

First, if this guy had lawyered up and went to court, how would his speed been proven to be 50mph? All the arguments about the difficulty in accurately measuring speed on the water would be even more applicable at night.

Second, the fine he received for the offense seems exceedingly light, considering he was traveling 1 and 2/3 times the speed limit. What woul.d the fine be if one were caught driving on the highway at 105+ MPH???

Cheers...

Gusman
Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
4Fun

When I first read the article I thought they were crazy to convict him for 5mph over the limit. Now I see it's at night and it makes sense.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
lake king

$93 isnt that bad... I'd still speed
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake king View Post
$93 isnt that bad... I'd still speed

Just remember one thing lake king (hey that rhymes): If you get a citation and conviction for speeding in a boat, the fine will be a lot higher if you get caught speeding in a boat or car again. Second offenses aren't treated lightly.

Other than that I hope that you respect other boaters if you are going to speed.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Other than that I hope that you respect other boaters if you are going to speed.
There is a lot of boaters who don't speed and don't respect other boaters. These are the ones that ruins my day.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
lawn psycho

You know I wonder if laser jammers are as effective on the water as they are on the road?

I had a friend who is a Seacoast LEO who thought my jammers were useless against his laser. When I rolled by and he could not get a reading his jaw dropped

And if anyone thinks they don't work, guess again

I really, really want to know how effective they are on the water. They depend on being level to the road so with a wake they may lose their effectiveness. If they pay me for the time I'd be willing to be a guinea pig.

I also wonder how much the water spray impacts the reading depending on the distance to the target boat, the spray can be in the painted area.

My personal opinion is these tickets are EASILY beatable with the right techinical expert.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Default laser jammers.

Skip and I had a looong discussion on this on another thread.

First of all, radar jammers emit a signal at a sepcified frequency to confused the radar/ladar. This is against FCC regulations and if you are caught it can bring heavy fines. That is why amatuer radio operators as well as commercial operators register with the FCC.

I use to work for a DOD electronics supplier that specializes in self protection jammers. Some of the engineers have made similar jammers for their personal vehicles. Rather the emit signal and send false readings to a radar/ladar, the system 'absorb' the signal and the result is no signal returning back to the detector. Stealth mode. LEO's will say 'no such thing' but I did have a discussion with a Nashua cop and a state trooper that they have witness this and thought it may have been the unit malfunction. I didn't mention to them the engineers have the ability.

If you google speed detection on water or boats, you will find many articles on this including shapes of the hull, fiberglas vs metal and wood, boat spray, movement and rocking of patrol boats etc. It is very difficult to detect boat speed. If a mpo fine you for going 5 mph over the speed limit, you can contest that in court. With all this facts you will no doubt get away with it. But if you are going say 20mph over the speed limit. It's a mute point.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Skip and I had a looong discussion on this on another thread.

First of all, radar jammers emit a signal at a sepcified frequency to confused the radar/ladar. This is against FCC regulations and if you are caught it can bring heavy fines. That is why amatuer radio operators as well as commercial operators register with the FCC.

I use to work for a DOD electronics supplier that specializes in self protection jammers. Some of the engineers have made similar jammers for their personal vehicles. Rather the emit signal and send false readings to a radar/ladar, the system 'absorb' the signal and the result is no signal returning back to the detector. Stealth mode. LEO's will say 'no such thing' but I did have a discussion with a Nashua cop and a state trooper that they have witness this and thought it may have been the unit malfunction. I didn't mention to them the engineers have the ability.

If you google speed detection on water or boats, you will find many articles on this including shapes of the hull, fiberglas vs metal and wood, boat spray, movement and rocking of patrol boats etc. It is very difficult to detect boat speed. If a mpo fine you for going 5 mph over the speed limit, you can contest that in court. With all this facts you will no doubt get away with it. But if you are going say 20mph over the speed limit. It's a mute point.
1. Laser jammers = legal; radar jammers = illegal
2. I am "licensed by the FCC"
3. I am an engineer
4. Laser jamers and radar detectors work. You get what you pay for.
5. Any police officer who states they don't work does not know what they are talking about. Smart use of high end detection equipment sniffs radar (even instant on Ka band) with ease. Once they send a blast, they've blown there cover.
6. Owning a detector and/or laser jammer prevents getting tickets from overzealous police. In Maine I've seen them sit at toll booths and ticket people for not slowing at the 35 MPH speed sign which is 500-1000 ft away from the tolls. And how many people do you think they get? Whole 'nutter topic.

As for radar jammers, they can be built but the equipment to calibrate them is prohibitively expensive even ignoring any legal issues. Some other details you have to work through as to what frequency you want to jam. I'll bet 99.9999999999999% of officers have never seen a truly functional speed radar jammer. Lastly, in States like Virginia where radar detectors are illegal, the State Police have Spectre units that can actually detect your detector.

As for speed detection, laser jammers rely on linear paths which is why you have to spend the time to get them level. On a boat even if they are level, underway they won't be so I think they may be rendered useless. My real question is do laser jammers work on the water. It was stated that the PLIII is the laser gun used by NHMP.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
jrc

Rule number one, if you get stopped and the LEO see a radar/lidar detector or suspects one (sees you hiding it) then you will get the speeding ticket.

A detector labels you a frequent flyer in their eyes.

No detector, then a warning is possible.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #12
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Rule number one, if you get stopped and the LEO see a radar/lidar detector or suspects one (sees you hiding it) then you will get the speeding ticket.

A detector labels you a frequent flyer in their eyes.

No detector, then a warning is possible.
Although an officer's bias may be true, in my case I have both my daily drivers set-up with custom installed radar detectors and laser jammers (both front and rear). They each also have Spectre immunity, audible alarm as to type of system my car is being hit with (each type has distinct tone), and I have on off toggle switch. No dash or visor mounting for my vehicles.

It has nothing to do with being chronic speeder as much as it is overzealous enforcement. I more than equalize the score.

They ONLY way I would get a ticket is if I was the only car on the road.

If a police radar system goes off either in front or behind me on the road, my system can pick it up from several thousand feet (or more) away with ease. When the hit the cars in front of me with lidar (laser), they've given themselves away.

Not sure how effective the laser detector will be on the water as boats are spaced very far apart. I won't be on Winni this year (different lake not far from it though) otherwise I would use my old visor mount unit to see how often they're clocking boats.

Starts with and "N" and ends with a "D"
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
I won't be on Winni this year (different lake not far from it though

That is GOOD news to hear. You don't seem to want to enjoy Lake Winnipesaukee anyway.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Although an officer's bias may be true, in my case I have both my daily drivers set-up with custom installed radar detectors and laser jammers (both front and rear). They each also have Spectre immunity, audible alarm as to type of system my car is being hit with (each type has distinct tone), and I have on off toggle switch. No dash or visor mounting for my vehicles.

It has nothing to do with being chronic speeder as much as it is overzealous enforcement. I more than equalize the score.

They ONLY way I would get a ticket is if I was the only car on the road.

If a police radar system goes off either in front or behind me on the road, my system can pick it up from several thousand feet (or more) away with ease. When the hit the cars in front of me with lidar (laser), they've given themselves away.

Not sure how effective the laser detector will be on the water as boats are spaced very far apart. I won't be on Winni this year (different lake not far from it though) otherwise I would use my old visor mount unit to see how often they're clocking boats.

Starts with and "N" and ends with a "D"

For claiming to not be a chronic speeder you have spent a lot of time and money, on equipment to elude detection. I have been traveling all over New England for work and pleasure for 15 years now, logging between 20K -30K miles yearly. There are very few overzealous cops out there. If so I am sure I would have had my fair share of tickets over the last 15 years.... instead I have no tickets to report... Have I been pulled over? yep certainly have, even have a few written warnings... But after some polite conversations, a quick running of my plates and license, I have always just driven away, every time.... The question is how fast over the speed limit are you going... For me when I have been pulled over I have been between 10 - 15 mph over the speed limit. I get a lecture, but the cops generally realistic about things.

Don't blame the cops, if your traveling over the speed limit there is no one to blame but yourself. If you are sufficiently over the speed limit enough to warrant a ticket, once again blame yourself... The cops, they aren't overzealous. Can they have a bad day? yes Can the decide to write you a ticket if you are rude and uncooperative? Yep, and its your fault.

Don't talk about spending endless amounts of money to avoid getting caught in a speed trap, and then try and justify it by the over zealous cops....
Rusty (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Quote:
That is GOOD news to hear. You don't seem to want to enjoy Lake Winnipesaukee anyway.
If you don't like the way the lake was when you move here, don't change it. Move on. Instead you want to change it the way you like it. Sorry, I'm not leaving. I will continue to do what I have been doing since birth. Enjoy the lake as I see fit. Welcome to NH, now go home!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Rusty

Quote:
If you don't like the way the lake was when you move here, don't change it. Move on. Instead you want to change it the way you like it. Sorry, I'm not leaving. I will continue to do what I have been doing since birth. Enjoy the lake as I see fit. Welcome to NH, now go home!

I'm glad to hear that you are not leaving so that you can enjoy some of the changes that I plan on making.

Change itself is a process, so is the gradual movement toward accepting it. Make the best of changes you can't prevent, rather than wasting your energy fighting them.

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
For claiming to not be a chronic speeder you have spent a lot of time and money, on equipment to elude detection. I have been traveling all over New England for work and pleasure for 15 years now, logging between 20K -30K miles yearly. There are very few overzealous cops out there. If so I am sure I would have had my fair share of tickets over the last 15 years.... instead I have no tickets to report... Have I been pulled over? yep certainly have, even have a few written warnings... But after some polite conversations, a quick running of my plates and license, I have always just driven away, every time.... The question is how fast over the speed limit are you going... For me when I have been pulled over I have been between 10 - 15 mph over the speed limit. I get a lecture, but the cops generally realistic about things.

Don't blame the cops, if your traveling over the speed limit there is no one to blame but yourself. If you are sufficiently over the speed limit enough to warrant a ticket, once again blame yourself... The cops, they aren't overzealous. Can they have a bad day? yes Can the decide to write you a ticket if you are rude and uncooperative? Yep, and its your fault.

Don't talk about spending endless amounts of money to avoid getting caught in a speed trap, and then try and justify it by the over zealous cops....
Wow you make a lot of ridiculus assumptions. My wife got a ticket for doing "33 in a 25" in Saco Maine (her one and only ticket). I got a ticket for doing less than 10 MPH over speed limit on Maine Turnpike. I had NH plates at the time.....

As for over zealous I have MANY examples. My boss got a ticket for 75 in a 65 on the Turnpike. A co-worker of mine got a ticket on the Maine turnpike for doing somewhere close to 70 MPH just after the limit dropped to 55MPH zone at 4:30 AM on way to airport.

As for the insinuation that anyone would be rude or whatever you want to spew, I'm not biting. Look up how many tickets are issued each year in NH and ME.

I see the NH and ME state police clocking cars as they approach toll booths from long distances. It's 750-1000 ft out where the speed limit drops from 65 MPH to 35MPH and they give tickets for it. That's over zealous.

The money I spent on detection equipment means I don't have to worry about getting stopped and wasting my time having a conversation.

Lastly, from what I read it sounds like you have way more experience getting pulled over than I ever have.....
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
lawn psycho

Quote:
BH, he's on my ignore list so I didn't read what he posted (or care). His comments are general babble not worth reading. Just put him on ignore list.

However, when I didn't renew my multiple weekend rentals this year, the person who I rented from for several years called to see if it was an oversight

Being called their "best customer" must mean my family does something right. But of course all us people who would dare run a bowrider at 46 MPH or anchor at a sandbar are scofflaws, right?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Rusty

Quote:
BH, he's on my ignore list so I didn't read what he posted (or care). His comments are general babble not worth reading. Just put him on ignore list.

However, when I didn't renew my multiple weekend rentals this year, the person who I rented from for several years called to see if it was an oversight

Being called their "best customer" must mean my family does something right. But of course all us people who would dare run a bowrider at 46 MPH or anchor at a sandbar are scofflaws, right?

Sorry to hear that I am on your ignore list. You are not on mine because I enjoy reading some of things you say. It appears that you are an intelligent person and have knowledge on various subjects.
If someday you decide to come back to this beautiful Lake I will make sure that you don't get a speeding ticket if you go 46 MPH, however if you go 47 MPH it might be more difficult for me to talk the MP out of it.

Have fun on your vacation wherever it might be.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Default Ignore List

Quote:

Rusty's rambling makes my day. I don't know who is worst, FLL or Rusty.

I just got back from two weeks on the Florida coastal. I was actually in APS backyard. Remember him? He called Winnipesaukee the 'Wild West'. If that is the case, I have no clue what to call the intercoastal? The combat zone? I see many skippers ignore idle speed and manatee zone signs. I actually saw an oversized pontoon boat flood a small 18 foot aluninum outboard! I think the summer residents should spend their energies taking care of their own in their respective states. Let the NH natives take care of NH.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
diz

Quote:

I just got back from two weeks on the Florida coastal. I was actually in APS backyard. Remember him? He called Winnipesaukee the 'Wild West'. If that is the case, I have no clue what to call the intercoastal? The combat zone? I see many skippers ignore idle speed and manatee zone signs. I actually saw an oversized pontoon boat flood a small 18 foot aluninum outboard! I think the summer residents should spend their energies taking care of their own in their respective states. Let the NH natives take care of NH.
Can we start a thread to see if it's possible to create one that cannot be turned into a bash on non-indigenous Laconia residents? Five dollars to the winner.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Can we start a thread to see if it's possible to create one that cannot be turned into a bash on non-indigenous Laconia residents? Five dollars to the winner.
Or doesn't have to be moved to the "Lake Issues" section. I'll chip in another "Five dollars to the winner".
Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #23
ApS

Quote:

I just got back from two weeks on the Florida coastal. I was actually in APS' backyard. Remember him? He called Winnipesaukee the 'Wild West'. If that is the case, I have no clue what to call the intercoastal? The combat zone? I see many skippers ignore idle speed and manatee zone signs. I actually saw an oversized pontoon boat flood a small 18 foot aluninum outboard! I think the summer residents should spend their energies taking care of their own in their respective states. Let the NH natives take care of NH.
• I'm around, and was waiting for Ice-Out before "staging" my return to the "other" Paradise.

• Where—btw—my family has been before the turn of the previous century.

• NOAA radio noted "8-foot seas" earlier this week.

I'm continually amazed at the preponderance of outboard boats around these waters that would be considered "too-small" for Lake Winnipesaukee.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #24
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
• I'm around, and was waiting for Ice-Out before "staging" my return to the "other" Paradise.

• Where—btw—my family has been before the turn of the previous century.

NOAA radio noted "8-foot seas" earlier this week.

I'm continually amazed at the preponderance of outboard boats around these waters that would be considered "too-small" for Lake Winnipesaukee.

:confused:
What on earth did you say??

NOAA, 8-foot seas, too-small boats for Lake Winnipesaukee , confused... I'll say you're "confused", so aren't I.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #25
codeman671

Quote:
What on earth did you say??

NOAA, 8-foot seas, too-small boats for Lake Winnipesaukee , confused... I'll say you're "confused", so aren't I.
Welcome to the world of APS. His posts are always a bit eccentric...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-06-2012), VitaBene (04-05-2012)