Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default LRSPS Safety/ Certificate Class

Tomorrow, Sat 9-10-11. there is a boating safety course being taught by Lakes Region Power Squadron at 0900, Fay's Boatyard.

Cost is $35 which includes a great book, $45 for 2 if you share a book.

I will say that it is a comprehensive class. You will be there for close to 8 hours. At the end you will receive your safety certificate, no further testing needed. More importantly, you will learn a lot ( I learn something every time I sit in on it).

My son said this may be the best weekend of his life. He got his driver's license today and is taking the boating safety class tomorrow. Great... he gets to drive my vehicles and my boat
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Remote kill switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
My son said this may be the best weekend of his life. He got his driver's license today and is taking the boating safety class tomorrow. Great... he gets to drive my vehicles and my boat
Any chance of installing a hidden remote kill switch in the vehicles and boat? "Gee Dad, can I use the car?" "Hey, Dad, the car won't start." "Oh, sorry son, I'll have to check it out later, when I have time."

Congrats to the boy!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Any chance of installing a hidden remote kill switch in the vehicles and boat? "Gee Dad, can I use the car?" "Hey, Dad, the car won't start." "Oh, sorry son, I'll have to check it out later, when I have time."

Congrats to the boy!
I do keep resetting the max speed attained on the GPS!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Aguamenti

Wish I'd seen this a couple of days ago! Is this something that gets repeated from time to time?
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
VitaBene

Aqua, It is a relatively regular class. When the requirement or certificates was enacted, the LRSPS was teaching 300 people a month and it was easy to have a regular schedule. Now we gauge interest and schedule accordingly. However, once scheduled we will teach it to just one student.

It is a real good class. The course materials (book and CDs) are excellent. My son has been boating on the lake, under supervision and later on his own, for almost 10 years. He said he got a lot out of it and was glad he did not go straight to the proctored exam.

We will also work with organizations (marinas, homeowner's asssociations, etc) if they want to hold a class at their facility for a group.

I apologize for not posting it sooner, it crept up on me.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Misty Blue

Default USPS and their safe boating course.

I have been teaching safe boating for the USCG Aux for over 20 years and when it comes to the USPS course all I can say is they are excellent! Awsone course taught by awsome instructors After their course you will never boat the same.

'Not to steal their show but we also do the same classes and I love to do them at yacht clubs, associations, etc. It's fun! PM me.

"Have boat, will travel".

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
Knomad

Let me add one more option to the list of available boating safety courses. The State of NH puts on an 8 hour course at various locations throughout the year. During the Spring and Summer there are there are courses offered in Wolfeboro, Moultonborough, Gilford, Laconia and other towns thoughout the state. In the Fall and Winter there are fewer options.
See the web site for more details and schedules.
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/ss/boatinged/
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Tomorrow, Sat 9-10-11. there is a boating safety course being taught by Lakes Region Power Squadron at 0900, Fay's Boatyard.

Cost is $35 which includes a great book, $45 for 2 if you share a book.

I will say that it is a comprehensive class. You will be there for close to 8 hours. At the end you will receive your safety certificate, no further testing needed. More importantly, you will learn a lot ( I learn something every time I sit in on it).

Do you mean you don't have to take a test anymore?

Also, can you answer this controversial question? You mentioned your son drives under supervision. Can a young person drive (over25hp) if you are in the boat? Didn't we have a big discussion about that on here and got different opinions?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Barney Bear

Default Certificate Course

My bride and I took our certification course at the Windham, NH fire station in February 2008. The couse and proctored exam was given by the NHDPS.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Do you mean you don't have to take a test anymore?

Also, can you answer this controversial question? You mentioned your son drives under supervision. Can a young person drive (over25hp) if you are in the boat? Didn't we have a big discussion about that on here and got different opinions?
You have to take a test regardless of where you take the class. What some people do is opt out of the class, study online or at home then show up at a state class for the proctored exam only.

You can allow someone under 16 to drive your boat with you, provided you have a certificate. Anyone over 16 needs a certificate for 25HP or greater. Remember that they are essentially riding on your certificate and any infractions are charged to you.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Thanks for clarifying that. I was surprised to think you didn't need to take the test any more.

Also glad to know it IS true that someone younger than 16 can drive as long as you have your certificate.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Just Sold

Thumbs up Great Course

Quote:
It is a real good class. The course materials (book and CDs) are excellent. My son has been boating on the lake, under supervision and later on his own, for almost 10 years. He said he got a lot out of it and was glad he did not go straight to the proctored exam.
Yes I saw your son there. Very nice young man who my wife sat next to. I sat in for a little while at the beginning. From what I saw it was a very good course and Ron did a great job. She passed and has never driven a boat or had any experience until this past year on boats so I am very proud of her.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. I was surprised to think you didn't need to take the test any more.

Also glad to know it IS true that someone younger than 16 can drive as long as you have your certificate.
And you are sober!
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-17-2011), Rusty (09-16-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Aguamenti

Thanks Vita and Knomad for the class info. Much appreciated!
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote