Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
KayakinKid

Default Ahhhh...a beautiful day on the water

For the last few weeks, I've been trying to get up to the Lake, and one thing or another kept getting in my way. Finally, I got out there today.

Put in at Cattle Landing on Meredith Neck, headed down around Lone Pine Point, up between Stonedam Island and Meredith Neck, through Sally's Gut, around the rest of Stonedam, and back to the Landing. Beautiful weather, partly sunny, and with just a bit of a breeze.

Ended up picking up a number of tree branches and other assorted items out of the water. A miniature basketball, part of a water noodle, a blue plastic thing that I have no idea what it is. I also picked up a 5-6 foot long, 4-5 inch diameter piece of white birch out of the water in Sally's Gut. It was in the water vertically, so very little was actually above the water. I heaved that across my kayak, and tossed that onto Stonedam Island so that it can rot in peace. Last thing we need is someone's boat propeller finding that. Some guy and what I'm guessing was his family was fishing in Sally's Gut as well.

Adjusting Verizon's catchphrase for my own use, "Can you see me now?". With all of the bright colors, I should be hard to miss. Well, unless you're intentionally trying to run me down. Between the lime green, yellows, red, and orange, I feel like a rainbow sherbert. But if it helps me to be seen by other boaters, then I'm all for it.

So if you happen to see me out on the water, feel free to wave, or flip me the bird. If you flip me the bird, just give me a big smile, and wave the bird, so I know it's someone from here. I know that there must be others here who have a warped sense of humor like I do.

May everyone have as nice a Labor Day weekend as I did today. I'll be working my normal 12 hour shifts on the weekend, so I won't be out and about.
Attached Images

KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KayakinKid For This Useful Post:
KPW (09-07-2011), lfm (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Here's a friendly suggestion; you need a longer kayak! With a fifteen foot long kayak you could easily travel a lot further with each paddle stroke than what you do now. It would be like day and night in terms of the difference.

You must have paddled right past my dock after passing through the Horse Island passage there.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

yes yesterday was a beautiful day on the water... I didn't see you though... although then again I wasn't in that area of the lake either... but It is apparent that you are indeed highly visible... The other thing I have seen on the lake this year to make paddlers more noticeable are paddles with orange blades... I think they are the standard on Sandy Island... you see the paddles from a great distance.....
Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

Wednesday was a beautiful day on the lake with very little--if any boat traffic. I went with friends to lunch in Wolfeboro. We traveled from Green's Basin. I rarely see the lake this quiet. When we arrived in Wolfeboro though we saw many boats at the docks.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Wed. was great

Went out around 11 and got gas at West Alton, then headed to our favorite spot to anchor, ate lunch, and took a dip or two in the lake (water's getting a little cool, but refreshing).

Not a lot of boat traffic seen, but when we came back into Alton Bay at 330, several boats were at the town docks as well.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Kayak Lengths

Glad that you're getting to enjoy the lake KayakinKid! Hope you get to take a few more trips before the season is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's a friendly suggestion; you need a longer kayak! With a fifteen foot long kayak you could easily travel a lot further with each paddle stroke than what you do now. It would be like day and night in terms of the difference.
Your friendly suggestion for a longer kayak is mucho dollars!

Our kayaks are both 12' long, which according to you is not optimal, but it works for me. Being in my kayak is about enjoying the exercise and paddle time.

I also have noticed that paddling a kayak verses a canoe is a huge difference for my shoulder.

Another thing I do know from first hand experience that a kayak must be completely clean of dirt or it will not flow through the water properly.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
samosetguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakinKid View Post
Between the lime green, yellows, red, and orange, I feel like a rainbow sherbert.
That's funny.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
KayakinKid

Quote:

You must have paddled right past my dock after passing through the Horse Island passage there.
Surprisingly, for its size, this Emotion Glide cuts through the water pretty well. It doesn't take too many strokes to get up to speed, it turns quickly when I need it to, and it will coast a ways on flat water before slowing down. Certainly much better than my Dagger Blackwater does, and that's 2 1/2 feet longer. Plus a 15 footer won't fit in my shed.

And yes, it looks like I did paddle right past your dock. I paddled around the outside of Horse Island when I set out, and through the passage when I was coming back. Now I may have to go back there again, and try to figure out which one is yours, just to satisfy my curiousity.

Oh, don't worry RG, I'll be up there a few more times. I have vacation coming up, and more kayaking up there is on my to-do list. I've already been to Rattlesnake a couple of times this year, and have gotten in trouble for it as well. My girlfriend's parents have a camp on the island.

Usually if a holiday falls on one of my work days, I'll work it. However, this year I was told that I would be having July 4th off. I just didn't tell my girlfriend that. Knowing that her and her kids would be up at the lake over the holiday weekend, I started scheming. I got a marina parking pass from her mother, and Mom didn't say a word. That Sunday the 3rd, I did my 12 hour shift at work, drove the 2 hours over to the lake, watched someones dueling private fireworks show for about 20 minutes, and got into the water a bit after 10 p.m.

Paddled the two miles over to the island, and got there just before 11. I did well, I was only 2 camps off from where I was supposed to end up. Most everyone had headed to bed, but Mom came out a few times, to see if I'd show up. I had made it onto the deck of their camp, when Mom turned on the outside light. My girlfriend's son saw me standing on the deck, then his eyes went wide, and his jaw dropped. Worth the trip right there!

After I got settled in, he asked me if I had really kayaked across the lake in the dark. When I told him that I had, he said, "One, you're crazy. Two, I love you". My girlfriend and her daughter found out the next morning that I was there. All my girlfriend could do was keep shaking her head at me. I'm a man of mischief, what can I say?

And for those thinking about it, yes I did have a deck light on my kayak, plenty of Solas reflective tape on the kayak, paddles, and vest, and I kept a close eye on the boats that were out there. I may be mischievous, but I'm not suicidal! There were several times that I stopped and waited until a boat had passed, before continuing on my journey. Between watching the angle of the boat lights that I could see, and the outline of the boat, I was able to get a pretty good idea about the boats direction of travel. A time or two I actually turned around and paddled back towards Sleeper Island, turned around again to watch the boat go by, rode out the boat wakes, and then continued on.
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Default Kayak Length

As suggested a by FLL a longer kayak can make some differences in ones paddling experience... I have both a 13' and a 15' and the characteristics are different. However there are many things that one has to keep in mind.

1) wieght --> longer kayak is heavier... it handles waves better but it is heavier to move around and transport on land

2) maneuverability --> the longer Kayak isn't as easy to move around and go in and out of tight spaces with... A rudder can help but not as much as people think

3) comfort... the longer streamline Kayak are tight... As a man of size I had to hunt for a longer kayak that was comfortable for me... Most of the smaller Kayaks have larger opening and are more comfortable and easier to get in and out off.

4) Stability... My 15' kayak is tippy... it doesn't bug me but it does some people. The smaller kayak as a rule are wider, and offer more stability for this reason....

Just some thoughts.... everyone's ideal Kayak is different. It all about characteristics...
Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
fatlazyless

$250. is what I paid for a used Necky Chinook 15' kayak w/ spray skirt and one double blade paddle at a yard sale in Moultonborough, a few Augusts ago, from some guy selling his house and moving to Florida. What a great buy! I sure lucked out on that !
Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
$250. is what I paid for a used Necky Chinook 15' kayak w/ spray skirt and one double blade paddle at a yard sale in Moultonborough, a few Augusts ago, from some guy selling his house and moving to Florida. What a great buy! I sure lucked out on that !
A necky for 250$ you indeed made out good on that deal....