Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
clipperqb

Default Boating Safety Certificate

We purchased a used boat this weekend and need to obtain my certificate. The next class I can make is 8/6, we were hoping to get on water by then. I see there is Proctored exam in Concord on 8/5. Does passing the online boating course get me into the proctored exam? Does the online course cover the material required to pass the official exam? And last question, are there any other options to take the class/exam?
Thanks!
clipperqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
bkgoodman

>> Does passing the online boating course get me into the proctored exam?

Yes, If you took the "real" online exam. (There are some "practice" exams that help you assess if you are ready to take the "real" online exam). You would have had to have paid $30 to do this, and this gives you some sort of a receipt you can use to take the proctored exam for free.

>>Does the online course cover the material required to pass the official exam?

The one at boat-ed.com? Yes.

>> And last question, are there any other options to take the class/exam?
Thanks!

You can take a temporary exam which will give you a temporary certificate. It is only good for a very short period of time (a day? A week?) You are only allowed to take it/get this temp certificate ONCE in your life. Rental places do this to allow renters to get a speedy option. Call a place that does rentals and they will tell you where you can take a temporary certificate exam.

Hope this helps!

-BKG
bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Breakwater

Default Check out this link!

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/ss/boatinged/

All your questions are answered here including temp agent sights. Looks like they make it pretty easy.

Good Luck.
Breakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
clipperqb

I'll do the Online and get over to Concord,
Thanks for the help!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Barney Bear

Default Boating Certification

Our son, who lives in northern California, just completed the boating certificate process discussed in above posts. While still at home, he took an exam online and received a document which allowed him to take a proctored exam in New Hampshire. Last Friday, he went to Nashua Community College where he took the exam [said it was not difficult]. He received papers which indicated he was now certified. He mailed a check to the Sate and will receive his lifetime plastic card in a short time.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
DBreskin

As I understand the system, the boater safety certificates from each state are recognized by other states just like a driver's license as long as the 'host" state education program is NASBLA approved. If I earn my NASBLA-approved certificate in state X, New Hampshire will accept it.

Not all states require the same education and testing e.g. if you go to boat-ed.org and select Maryland as your state, you can review the online course and take the test online to earn your certificate. You may not learn the NH-specific laws but you'll have a certificate recognized by NH. After completion of the MD course you can download and print a certificate immediately and you'll receive the plastic permanent card in 5 to 7 days.

I am not advocating lesser standards, although it appears Maryland does.

FYI, I hold a NH certificate.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
Knomad

Given the choice of self study/proctored exam and the classroom course, I would recommend the classroom course. The instructors will give you great deal of local knowledge to help you keep you and your family safe on the water. The exam is given at the end of the course. If you pass it, you get a temporary 45 day certificate. Mail in $10 and you get a perminent card good for life. Consider having your entire family (15 or older) take the course.
There is a class in Moultonborough on 8/6 that has open seats.

You can register by calling Boating Education at 1-888-254-2125 or 603-267-7256
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
As I understand the system, the boater safety certificates from each state are recognized by other states just like a driver's license as long as the 'host" state education program is NASBLA approved. If I earn my NASBLA-approved certificate in state X, New Hampshire will accept it.

Not all states require the same education and testing e.g. if you go to boat-ed.org and select Maryland as your state, you can review the online course and take the test online to earn your certificate. You may not learn the NH-specific laws but you'll have a certificate recognized by NH. After completion of the MD course you can download and print a certificate immediately and you'll receive the plastic permanent card in 5 to 7 days.

I am not advocating lesser standards, although it appears Maryland does.

FYI, I hold a NH certificate.
Do you not have to be a resident of Maryland to do that? If not, that's quite a loophole in the system!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Do you not have to be a resident of Maryland to do that? If not, that's quite a loophole in the system!

Dan
You do NOT have to be a resident of Maryland. I live in NJ and have a NH certificate. A neighbor of mine in NJ recently took the MD online course and test, and had his MD certificate mailed to his NJ address.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
I recall a while ago someone mentioning that they lived in NH and took a VT online course to bypass the NH law. From what I see online that still looks to work in NH. It costs $29.50 and is NASBLA approved.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts
Default This should be clear as mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
Not all states require the same education and testing e.g. if you go to boat-ed.org and select Maryland as your state, you can review the online course and take the test online to earn your certificate
Here's the NH law:
Quote:
A person shall not be required to obtain a certificate of boating safety education if the person holds a certificate from any state indicating successful completion of boating safety education that meets or exceeds the requirements of this subdivision...
A certificate obtained online after 1/1/07 from another state without a proctored examination does not "meet or exceed" the NH requirements and would not be valid according to the letter of the law.

Despite the wording of the law, the Marine Patrol Director has said that officers could not make these kind of determinations on the water and would accept all NASBLA approved safety certificates.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
bkgoodman

The New Hampshire test is kind of a pain:

In the NH test, if you do not pass the online test, you have to pay $30 again just to take the online test! (i.e. Before taking the proctored test).

Most other states don't even make you pay until after you pass the test!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Here's the NH law:
A certificate obtained online after 1/1/07 from another state without a proctored examination does not "meet or exceed" the NH requirements and would not be valid according to the letter of the law.
The Boat-Ed site's "It's the Law" flyer from New Hampshire states:

"New Hampshire also accepts the following boating education certificates:"
"A boating certificate issued by another State Agency and NASBLA approved".
Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

I quoted and linked to the actual law, not the flyer.

This is why I said it's clear as mud.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (08-02-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgoodman View Post
The New Hampshire test is kind of a pain:

In the NH test, if you do not pass the online test, you have to pay $30 again just to take the online test! (i.e. Before taking the proctored test).

Most other states don't even make you pay until after you pass the test!

If you can't pass the online test in the first try then you NEED to take some real instruction instead of just guessing at answers.

You can almost spot the people on the lake that took an online test from another state or found some other "loophole" so they could get on the water faster without having to actually risk learning something.

Personally I surprised at the number of people that put their families at risk by assuming that they can learn how to operate a boat properly by trial and error.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
CrownRay

Ahh...the good old days, when we were able to take the test online, done! Pretty plastic card comes in the mail a few days later.... That was so easy.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #17
clipperqb

Another fact I picked up today, I called Concord to reserve for test tomorrow, figured I'd do course tonight (have already read material and taken practice test). Was told had to wait 2 business days after completing online test before I could call. So I went ahead and did it this morning. Person in Concord does not know if my registration will appear in their database tomorrow or not.

sent from phone
Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post
Ahh...the good old days, when we were able to take the test online, done! Pretty plastic card comes in the mail a few days later.... That was so easy.
So how long before someone in Concord decides those plastic cards are no good and we all have to take the proctored exam? I'd be ok with that if i thought it would help drill the 150 ft rule into peoples heads. Four across at full speed is a bit much between Dolly and the Cattle Landing. That's unlikely to change so i'll keep my plastic card.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
NoRegrets

I support the boat certificate program 100% and hope you can get the requirements satisfied by the time you need them, but....

There are not enough enforcement capabilities to make the "traffic rules" effectice. I see terrible infractions on the "rules" EVERYTIME I am out on the lake. Based on other posts I am surprised there are not several fatalities every day.

There are some excellent training documents and courses offered by many organizations that should be evaluated.

I do not think the certificate has as big an impact on the traffic as many would like to believe. It placates those who place the technical verbage of rules something to be alarmed about. I like to slow cruise and many excellent boaters have breached the 150' rule. You can absolutely tell they are under complete control and can operate safely. I do not think they are wrong and appriciate the visual contact. The rules only limits everyuone to the lowest common denominater and is more harmful than benificial INHO. It turns the lake into an environment of whiners and unharmed victums. Most of us learned to boat long before this "governmental control" was forced on all.

Sorry for the perspective but I am totally pissed at the federal administration and the control freeks that are pushing our freedoms and country over a cliff.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
dan (08-05-2011), goldengirl (08-06-2011), Misakame (08-06-2011), Winnisquamguy (08-05-2011)