Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Tacit Blue

Default Boat Title

I'm in the process of selling my 26' boat. The buyer (from Mass) has asked me if I have a title to the boat. I didn't receive one when I bought the boat in Maine from the previous owner and didn't have a problem registering the boat with the previous reg. and the bill of sale. The trailer was another story, I did have to get a title for that. I do have a manufacturer's statement of origin for the boat. Would this take the place of a title and would he have any problem registering the boat in Mass with the statement of origin, bill of sale and my old NH reg.?
Tacit Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
I'm in the process of selling my 26' boat. The buyer (from Mass) has asked me if I have a title to the boat. I didn't receive one when I bought the boat in Maine from the previous owner and didn't have a problem registering the boat with the previous reg. and the bill of sale. The trailer was another story, I did have to get a title for that. I do have a manufacturer's statement of origin for the boat. Would this take the place of a title and would he have any problem registering the boat in Mass with the statement of origin, bill of sale and my old NH reg.?
A statement of Origin or Certificate of Origin is the title for the boat.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
jrc

Some states have boat titles some don't.

http://www.boattitleanswers.com/?cat=11

Maine and NH do not, Mass, does. The Mass, buyer can apply for a Mass, title with your registration, bill of sale and statement of origin.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Kamper

The C/O is turned in the first time you register a newly manufactured vehicle and you get a title in exchange. If you are registerring a boat in a non-title state (for boats and some other vehicles) like NH they probably won't even ask to even see it.

Now that you are transferring the boat out of state, that state will probably issue a title based on the NH registration since they can verify that we don't issue them. They may have additional steps to take like a HIN check, though. The C/O will probably make it easier for the buyer so it's a good idea to retain that document as long as you own the boat, and pass it along to the new buyer.

My 2 cents.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
FINANCEGUY

No titles in the state of NH on boats. UCC filings if the boat is financed. All the buyer from MA needs to title the boat in MA is your old NH reg for the boat (sellers needs to sign the back), and a bill of sale. The old reg will show proof of ownership in NH since we dont title boats.
FINANCEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINANCEGUY View Post
.. your old NH reg for the boat (sellers needs to sign the back), and a bill of sale. ....
That feature hasn't been on registrations for a few years.

I'm planning to sell my boat this year so I asked the clerk about it. She said NH only needs a bill of sale signed by the seller and buyer. She suggested giving the buyer the registration or a copy of it if you plan to use the remaining credit toward registering another boat. I know from other vehicles I have registerred that NH requires a police veirificaton of the HIN/VIN if you cannot show proof of prior registration.

It's a few bucks more but I would suggest to the out of state buyer that they register the boat in their own name in NH then re-register in their home-state. That way they can probably avoid having to get everything checked out.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

As stated previously, NH only requires a Bill of Sale, even on 20 yo cars.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
FINANCEGUY

If going to MA or Canada you still have to have the old NH reg signed on the back (even though there is not a place for it anymore), and a bill of sale. Trust me, I do over 50 boats a year to MA and or Canada.
FINANCEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FINANCEGUY For This Useful Post:
Kamper (06-08-2011)