Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Piston

Default Any info on Weeres Pontoon boats? Looking at a used one to buy and need some advice.

Looking for a little "tooning" advice

My wife and I have always enjoyed coming up to the lake for some boating, and up until now, we've always either rented a pontoon boat or taken my 'family' Mako center console.

We have wanted to buy our own pontoon boat for a while now, and weren't really planning on actually biting the bullet for another year or two when we move up there permanently, but an opportunity came up that I'm having a hard time turning down

I'd like some thoughts/opinions/advice from some of your more experienced with lake boats. I've been a boater all my life (and made driving ships my career) and I'm very familiar with boats in general but not too familiar with pontoon boats.

A family friend of ours is now selling their 2004 Weeres Sundeck 220. It is regular pontoon (not tritoon) and has a Mercury 115hp 4 stroke engine. The boat has 150 hrs on it and has always been stored in a heated garage when not in the water. The owner is meticulous with everything he owns and I know he takes care of his equipment. They bought the boat brand new.

He has added a second fuel tank with all approved filler tubes and things like that (my point is it's done right) and he's even gone through the entire boat and double nutted every single bolt on the boat as to make sure they didn't come lose Probably a little overboard in my book but it's an example of how he takes care of the boat.

My question is, can you guys give me any insight on this boat? I've never heard of Weeres before but the boat seems well built. The fit and finish seems to be good quality and the boat furniture seems thick and plush, not like some of the pontoon boats we've rented that almost seem like vinyl covered plywood, although some were very nice as well. We've rented "Premier" boats from Winnisquam before and were very happy with those, and this one sort of reminds me as similar quality.

Are Weere's boats good/bad/indifferent? My initial thoughts were to hold off on buying a boat but we figure it's a great opportunity for us and I think a fair price. I am worried I'll regret buying it in the future, and barring any major flaws with the brand we are leaning towards buying it. I know the engine is good as I worked at a boat yard/marina for a few years that serviced Merc's and I always like them.

It has the full width sunpad on the stern which my wife loves, as well as the reclined style bench seats in the bow areas, not sure what they are called. Sorry I didn't take any pics. The owner will sell us the boat for 13,500. Is this a fair price?

I couldn't find the "sundeck" model as I don't think they make it anymore, but it seems similar to the "legacy" on the Weeres website from what I can tell, except it doesn't have stern entry.

Thanks for your thoughts and helping us realize our Winni boating dream! Anything special I should look for? Sorry for the longish post.
-Matt
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Here's a link to NADA values

You can check off the features and options, and may have to do the motor separately to get your value. Good luck with your purchase.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2004/Weeres-Industries
Piston (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
robbsracingengines

Sounds like a smokin deal to me.
robbsracingengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Piston

I've been looking around for more info and it really doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there on these boats, but, it does seem like it is a good quality boat and I do know the owner has taken great care of it, so We've decided to purchase the boat.

I'm pretty excited to say the least! We will hopefully get some use out of it next month but I wont' be able to use it until then, unfortunately!

I will get some pictures once I get the boat. Now I need to make some lists of things to buy and out fit the boat with, that will be the fun part!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
I've been looking around for more info and it really doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there on these boats, but, it does seem like it is a good quality boat and I do know the owner has taken great care of it, so We've decided to purchase the boat.

I'm pretty excited to say the least! We will hopefully get some use out of it next month but I wont' be able to use it until then, unfortunately!

I will get some pictures once I get the boat. Now I need to make some lists of things to buy and out fit the boat with, that will be the fun part!
Besides price (which I am not certain about), the other thing you should consider when buying is how will this boat handle the lake. Quite frankly, this is the most important factor to consider in your purchase and I fear your Weeres is a wee bit too small for Winnipesaukee.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Jonas Pilot

The boats 22 feet long, and weighs 1845 lbs before rigging. With a 115 horsepower motor she doesn't seem underpowered. With wise use I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good fit for Winni. I have to admit that my experience with pontoons is limited. I've only been on a half dozen or so.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 04-07-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Agree with secondcurve

A 22 foot anything is small for this lake from my experiences.
Why is he selling it? Is he going up in size because it is too small?
I have only been on one once and it was a 28-30 footer, the owner said there are many times he cannot go out due to rough water. He explained that you tend to get a LOT of spray when under power.
It was a plumbing contractor and he used it as his water taxi M-F and weekend family boat. It was a big boat with lots of room and even with minimal wave action he had to take a longer route to the island to avoid coming into the waves at an angle to avoid getting his tools and employees wet.
Good luck
secondcurve (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Jonas Pilot

I'd be curious to know the average size of the pontoon boats on Winni.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
jrc

The "too small for Winnipesaukee" meme always surprises me. Winni is a big place with lots of different water and boatings styles.

Sure if you want to always be able to cross the widest part of the Broards in the worst weather, then you need a big boat with a closed bow or a self bailing fishing boat.

But a huge number of people buy other boats that are very safe in normal weather or in the more protected areas. I never owned a pontoon, so I don't have meaningful feedback on that boat, but I see tons of pontoons that size on Winnipesaukee.

I have a 12 foot kayak, is that too small for Winnipesaukee?

I checked boattrader.com and they only have a couple 22' Weeres, one around $13K but its a 2008.

Last edited by jrc; 04-08-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: feet not inches
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (04-07-2012), Piston (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Jonas Pilot

Default Ambrose Weeres

"Living as he did in the state with 10,000 lakes and at time when recreational boating was beginning to boom, he was, as they say, in the right place at the right time. The rest, as they also say, is history. He founded a company called Weeres Industries to build these boats. A host of imitators followed in his wake."

http://features.greatlakesboating.co...oon-boats.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Piston (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Too each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
The "too small for Winnipesaukee" meme always surprises me. Winni is a big place with lots of different water and boatings styles.

Sure if you want to always be able to cross the widest part of the Broards in the worst weather, then you need a big boat with a closed bow or a self bailing fishing boat.

But a huge number of people buy other boats that are very safe in normal weather or in the more protected areas. I never owned a pontoon, so I don't have meaningful feedback on that boat, but I see tons of pontoons that size on Winnipesaukee.

I have a 12" kayak, is that too small for Winnipesaukee?

I checked boattrader.com and they only have a couple 22' Weeres, one around $13K but its a 2008.
I just made a point and a valid point. If you want to stay in a sheltered cove then that is great, but if one wants to enjoy the lake then a 22 pontoon is a very small boat.
Since how the boat would be used was not provided then the automatic assumption was it would be used out on the lake.
I see you live in Hollis so you don’t see just how often the wind kicks up the lake on a daily basis. I’ve got a 25 foot boat that’s been forced to be docked before and had many a day when it has been a rough ride.
You are absolutely correct in stating there are many places on the lake where a small boat works great; I was just stating that for all around use on all parts of the lake any 22 foot boat can be a rough ride on almost any busy weekend day and many weekdays.
Try coming into the weirs on a calm day. Normal boat traffic produces waves in the order or 3 feet high coming at you from all directions. Even a great boat captain can have problems in that area.
Many are going up to much larger boats which make for some really rough days even without the wind.
I know from the Gilford, Weirs side of the lake it is almost impossible not to encounter a rough ride when venturing out into the lake due to the direction the wind generally blows.
It isn't always the size of the boat jrc it also can be the ingnorance of the captain piloting the boat and where they take it that make it dangerous for themselves and others.
Piston (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Piston

Default Thanks for your replies

I do know that I wouldn't want to go any smaller than the 22'. I may find that after using this for a couple seasons I may want to upgrade if the timing is right. I'm pretty confident that with proper judgement I won't have any issues on the lake. I am very prudent with my decisions on when to go where depending on the weather conditions and boating traffic. The wonderful thing about Winni is there is always a cove to putt around in and throw a few lines no matter what the wind is.

I think with proper experience, knowledge, and sound judgement, even a 16' toon with a 25hp engine can have a wonderful day on the lake. Likewise, a 25' tritoon with an incompetent captain can make everyone on the boat have a horrible day. I see people mentioning the size of a boat a lot, but I think it has more to do with knowing the limitations of your equipment, rather than trying to buy a boat that can take on anything, because as we all know, there isn't a boat on earth that can take on anything

As mentioned I don't have a lot of experience with pontoon boats, only the ones I've rented which have been in this size. If anyone has any good links to helpful information on the specifics of operating a pontoon boat then please post them here. I'm not too proud to admit that I still have a lot to learn when it comes to pontoon boating
The Following User Says Thank You to Piston For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
A 22 foot anything is small for this lake from my experiences.
Why is he selling it? Is he going up in size because it is too small?
I have only been on one once and it was a 28-30 footer, the owner said there are many times he cannot go out due to rough water. He explained that you tend to get a LOT of spray when under power.
It was a plumbing contractor and he used it as his water taxi M-F and weekend family boat. It was a big boat with lots of room and even with minimal wave action he had to take a longer route to the island to avoid coming into the waves at an angle to avoid getting his tools and employees wet.
Good luck
BR,
He bought the boat new to use at his vacation home on Newfound Lake, for when his kids and grandkids come up to visit. His grandkids now have swimming, baseball, and other afterschool and weekend activities, so they barely ever come up the lake anymore. He just bought a bass boat last week and doesn't feel as though he'll use the toon anymore. As it is, he's only used it about 150 hours since buying it in '04.

He got bored of Newfound Lake and used it in Winni many times. He trailered the boat often. My parents have been out on this specific boat a few times on Winni and Newfound with him and have always had wonderful times.

Just a bit of background on how we intend to use the boat, and what we don't intend to use the boat for:
We mostly enjoy slowly cruising around the shoreline while the dogs watch me throw a few casts. We like to explore the coves and generally just anchor up somewhere to grill up some lunch and relax.
We don't avoid the open areas of the lake but do avoid them when it's too rough. We're not really into getting anywhere fast as we normally have nowhere we need to be.
We will mostly be on the lake on the weekdays and take advantage of the lesser boat traffic, but we won't necessarily avoid the weekends. I'm very comfortable in 'crowds' of boats.

You guys all bring up some very good points and I thank you for that
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I agree as well, I think there are a lot more 'too big' boats on Winni than 'too small'.

Quote:
A lot of times, just slowing down can take the place of having a much larger boat. However, I know all types of boats are different and maybe there is no business for anything less than a 30' pontoon boat on the lake.

Quote:
I have a 12" kayak, is that too small for Winnipesaukee?
Me too It's a green Old Town and I'll be out there paddling around, so if you see me come say hi! (Correction, mine is 12', not inches)
Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
It isn't always the size of the boat...it also can be the ingnorance of the captain piloting the boat and where they take it that make it dangerous for themselves and others.
Very well said BR!

When looking over old accident reports, we more often than not find that it is exactly what you said, that causes most accidents. In fact, it is almost ALWAYS the case.

-Matt
Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
I do know that I wouldn't want to go any smaller than the 22'. I may find that after using this for a couple seasons I may want to upgrade if the timing is right. I'm pretty confident that with proper judgement I won't have any issues on the lake. I am very prudent with my decisions on when to go where depending on the weather conditions and boating traffic. The wonderful thing about Winni is there is always a cove to putt around in and throw a few lines no matter what the wind is.

I think with proper experience, knowledge, and sound judgement, even a 16' toon with a 25hp engine can have a wonderful day on the lake. Likewise, a 25' tritoon with an incompetent captain can make everyone on the boat have a horrible day. I see people mentioning the size of a boat a lot, but I think it has more to do with knowing the limitations of your equipment, rather than trying to buy a boat that can take on anything, because as we all know, there isn't a boat on earth that can take on anything

As mentioned I don't have a lot of experience with pontoon boats, only the ones I've rented which have been in this size. If anyone has any good links to helpful information on the specifics of operating a pontoon boat then please post them here. I'm not too proud to admit that I still have a lot to learn when it comes to pontoon boating
Having owned a wide range of boats myself I couldn't agree with you more. From several single and twin screw ocean boats to now a 22 foot pontoon with a bigfoot 60 on the lake, I am certain you will use the pontoon as intended and find it perfect for what it was designed for. Sure there are days when anchoring in a cove is a wise choice but then again that could apply to any boat in different situations. We do however boat out of Long Island and there are many places over this way to tuck out of the way when conditions dictate.

Generally we travel most parts of the lake but avoid the largest stretches of the broads. Having a 60hp does slow us down some compared to over 100hp but we are out there to enjoy the lake so that usually isn't a problem(cruise speed for us is 16mph).

Some people do have a hard time understanding what an opinion is and that their opinion isn't the only one that has merit.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
secondcurve

Quote:

Piston:

In a perfect world you are correct. However, let me give you an example of what often happens in the real world. You wake up in Wolfeboro and head to your boat and find perfect conditions so you load everyone in and head to Meredith for lunch. The ride is wonderful with calm conditions. After enjoying lunch and shopping for a couple hours your family piles back in and you head to Wolfeboro only to find the prevailing west wind has kicked in and the chop is unforgiving making the return treck uncomfortable, at best. You can pick any two ports on the lake and have the same experience. Yes, small pontoon boats are fine if you want to putt around in a very limited space on certain parts of the lake but if you want to have any range at all I'd think long and hard about what you purchase. Winnipesaukee can be incredibly rough. My advice is take your time and rent a few different boats before you buy. There is always a deal to be had in the used boat market, especially if you wait until the fall to buy. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Jonas Pilot

What if you pay attention to the weather forecast and plan your trip accordingly. Personally I'd follow the advise of those who have spent the most time on the water.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Piston:
In a perfect world you are correct. However, let me give you an example of what often happens in the real world. You wake up in Wolfeboro and head to your boat and find perfect conditions so you load everyone in and head to Meredith for lunch. The ride is wonderful with calm conditions. After enjoying lunch and shopping for a couple hours your family piles back in and you head to Wolfeboro only to find the prevailing west wind has kicked in and the chop is unforgiving making the return treck uncomfortable, at best. You can pick any two ports on the lake and have the same experience. Yes, small pontoon boats are fine if you want to putt around in a very limited space on certain parts of the lake but if you want to have any range at all I'd think long and hard about what you purchase. Winnipesaukee can be incredibly rough. My advice is take your time and rent a few different boats before you buy. There is always a deal to be had in the used boat market, especially if you wait until the fall to buy. Good luck.
The good news is... my boat is all paid for, the bad news is... I made a terrible decision 6 years ago and bought a WAY undersized, and way underpowered pontoon, (20' - 50HP). Now, while we have enjoyed the boat in certain conditions, we have severely limited when, and how, we can use the boat.

I really like pontoons, the style and space on the boat is ideal for what we consider a great Winni boating experience. Way too many times we take a quick look at the lake and decide, "not a good day for our boat".

I'm actually considering a "good used", (now, there's an oxymoron for ya!) and am looking for a 24' (Max size for the LSP Marina) Tri Toon with at least 150HP, prefer more. Size does matter!

JMHO
Piston (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
What if you pay attention to the weather forecast and plan your trip accordingly. Personally I'd follow the advise of those who have spent the most time on the water.
That would include Steve A and myself who have both experienced under sized/under powered boats first hand. Also, the weather changes rapidly on Winnipesaukee so it is not as easy as watching the morning forecast.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-09-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
That would include Steve A and myself who have both experienced under sized/under powered boats first hand. Also, the weather changes rapidly on Winnipesaukee so it is not as easy as watching the morning forecast.
Yes it is. For the accomplished boater anyways.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
;Some people do have a hard time understanding what an opinion is and that their opinion isn't the only one that has merit.
I love this quote!
Irrigation Guy (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #23
Jonas Pilot

Sometimes an opinion is based on fact and experience.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
The good news is... my boat is all paid for, the bad news is... I made a terrible decision 6 years ago and bought a WAY undersized, and way underpowered pontoon, (20' - 50HP). Now, while we have enjoyed the boat in certain conditions, we have severely limited when, and how, we can use the boat.

I really like pontoons, the style and space on the boat is ideal for what we consider a great Winni boating experience. Way too many times we take a quick look at the lake and decide, "not a good day for our boat".

I'm actually considering a "good used", (now, there's an oxymoron for ya!) and am looking for a 24' (Max size for the LSP Marina) Tri Toon with at least 150HP, prefer more. Size does matter!

JMHO
I know I'm probably sounding like a broken record but ckeck out the Premier PTX tripples at Winnisquam Marine. If you don't mind waiting till the end of the season you can get a good price on their 2012 rental fleet, and still get a warranty on the boat and motor. That is what we have done and we couldn't be happier.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
I know I'm probably sounding like a broken record but ckeck out the Premier PTX tripples at Winnisquam Marine. If you don't mind waiting till the end of the season you can get a good price on their 2012 rental fleet, and still get a warranty on the boat and motor. That is what we have done and we couldn't be happier.
We rented a couple premiers from Winnisquam and we really liked those boats. If I was gonna buy new they would have been on the top of my list!

I've never been in a tritoon but from what everyone says they are obviously the way to go! I bet the PTX that your talking about is one great boat!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
We rented a couple premiers from Winnisquam and we really liked those boats. If I was gonna buy new they would have been on the top of my list!

I've never been in a tritoon but from what everyone says they are obviously the way to go! I bet the PTX that your talking about is one great boat!
It is awsome. Winnisquam is having their in water demo days this coming weekend, you should go take a ride in one of the PTX packages, they are VERY impressive.
Piston (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #27
Piston

Quote:
It is awsome. Winnisquam is having their in water demo days this coming weekend, you should go take a ride in one of the PTX packages, they are VERY impressive.
That is the LAST thing I should do!

I learned a while back that if I don't know how much 'better' something is, I won't 'need' it.

If I compared the toon's that I've rented in the past, to a top of the line Tritoon, I know I would realize how much I need one! I can't afford that realization right now

In all honesty I'd love to try out the demo toons but I'm out in the middle of the ocean right now and won't be back for a couple weeks.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
That is the LAST thing I should do!

I learned a while back that if I don't know how much 'better' something is, I won't 'need' it.

If I compared the toon's that I've rented in the past, to a top of the line Tritoon, I know I would realize how much I need one! I can't afford that realization right now

In all honesty I'd love to try out the demo toons but I'm out in the middle of the ocean right now and won't be back for a couple weeks.
Im sure they would give ya a demo anytime.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #29
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Yes it is. For the accomplished boater anyways.
Happy Easter Jonas Pilot.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #30
Retired Ole Guy

Default Pontoon boat

I dont know about the brand but I have had a 22 foot Harris floteboat with a 90 HP on the lake for the last 5 years. Its not a speed demon but it is comfortable in most conditions and I have only had a couple of days when I went out and said oh no this is not going to work and headed back in. I have had other boats ranging from a 19 ft to 22 Bow rider and while they were faster and handled the big waves better at speed I wouldnt change back now to save my life. Part of it is perspective since as my wife and I have gotten older we dont like having our insides jostled about like we did in the Bow rider types. Aging and slowing down do seem to be a link atleast to me.
Retired Ole Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
Piston

Retired Ole Guy,
It's funny, my wife and I always joke around about being twice our age (we're 30 now).

We act like retirees, she doesn't work (she is pregnant with our first now) and I have a unique schedule where I never work a 9-5 job, when I'm home i have a good 3-4 weeks off at a time, so we mosie around like retirees, never in a rush to get anywhere or get something done, we like to keep things simple and just enjoy our time together. I think a slow cruising tooner fits our lifestyle pretty good As mentioned, we'll probably do most of our boating during the weekdays.

We like to go out on the lake and just idle around most of the time, usually just cruising along the shoreline. My favorite thing to do is go into all the small, tight coves and channels that everyone always tells me to avoid, I like to explore those areas and the narrower and sketchier they are the more I enjoy it. I always go very slow (idle speed) when exploring a new area and never go anywhere without having an escape route first. Haven't ran into anything yet but I'm sure my time will come
Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #32
Piston

The boat made it to the yard safely. When I get home I'll have to give it a good cleaning before my season starts. The trailer has a removable tongue on it so it will fit in the garage

Wish I had a pic without the cover on it!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Congrats

Congratulations Piston!! Looks like it's in great shape!

I hope you have many years of enjoyment on her!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #34
Jonas Pilot

Nice boat Piston! Good luck with it. What are you going to name her?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #35
Belmont Resident

Default Good luck with it

Quote:
The boat made it to the yard safely. When I get home I'll have to give it a good cleaning before my season starts. The trailer has a removable tongue on it so it will fit in the garage

Wish I had a pic without the cover on it!

Enjoy your new boat. And yes we also have/use kayaks on the lake as well.
Although comparing them to a size boat for winni just isn't the same.
When I'm on the kayak I'm wanting and expecting to get wet.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #36
Happy Gourmand

Default nice boat

Looks like just about the right size to me.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #37
SIKSUKR

You'll be fine in that boat if you use you head. What I did notice is the cover for the front. Can that be used while under way to keep out nasty waves if they come up unexpectedly?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #38
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
..... What I did notice is the cover for the front. Can that be used while under way to keep out nasty waves if they come up unexpectedly?
I wouldn't personally try to use it for that, I think a decent sized wave would rip out the buttons/rivets for it.

Quote:
What are you going to name her?
Not 100% sure yet. I liked the name "Lorentide" for a while, as my wifes name is Loren and also after the Laurentide ice sheet, which sort of sculpted the regions geography/topography (as far as I understand anyways) so I thought it was pretty applicable, but we haven't decided yet.

We might want to name it after our dogs or kid on the way, it's still up in the air, but I guess we better decide soon!

Here are a few pics of the dogs, which will be accompanying us on the new boat!
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piston For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-09-2012), SteveA (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #39
Piston

I have a question about the pontoons.

Are those "lifting strakes" on the forward part of the pontoons? The "lip" that sticks out 90 degrees to the pontoon, and is about two feet long?

I've heard a lot of talk about 'lifting strakes' but I'm not sure what they are, or if I have them
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
I have a question about the pontoons.

Are those "lifting strakes" on the forward part of the pontoons? The "lip" that sticks out 90 degrees to the pontoon, and is about two feet long?

I've heard a lot of talk about 'lifting strakes' but I'm not sure what they are, or if I have them
No those are splash deflectors.
Here is some info on Strakes
http://www.pontoons.com/ptx-performa...at-you-get.php
Jonas Pilot (04-09-2012), Piston (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #41
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
I already planned to go see the folks at WM. Thanks for the advice, and ALWAYS feel free to repeat yourself to me... especially if it will save me money!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #42
jrc

I love that last picture, I hope he's not your designated driver

Have fun with the new boat!!
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote