Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Lake Lady 6

Default Missing Kayak??

While fishing early this a.m. my husband found a kayak drifting between the west side of Rattlesnake Island & Smith Point. He has reported it to the Marine patrol as of 6:30 a.m. They were going to send an officer but so far they haven't arrived. If this is your kayak call the Marine Patrol. We will keep it safe - not sure if the Marine Patrol will take it or not.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Is this it?:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12462
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Lake Lady 6

Default Missing Kayak??

No, this isn't the kayak my husband found. The Marine Patrol arrived a short time ago & towed it to their headquarters in Gilford.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Name

We have talked about some type of registration sticker system for person powered craft. This would aid in the MP identifying the owner in the event that it is found floating with no occupants (they can then check with the owners to ensure that there is no one missing).

Since that is going nowhere fast, identifying your craft in permanent marker would accomplish the same thing. I will do so on our canoe this PM.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
fatlazyless

As long as we are talking about kayaks floating away here's a thought. Not happy with the amount of positive flotation in your kayak, and want to improve its' safety if you ever get swamped?

Walmart sells these 15" diameter beach balls in different colors for just $2.50 each. Surprisingly, the two I placed into my kayak over 12 months ago continue to maintain a good airtight seal and remain fully inflated. To increase your kayak's buoyancy, place one beach ball into both ends of the kayak after deflating them, and then reinflate so they will fit tightly within the pointy ends at the bow and stern. The vinyl surface of the beach balls should have enough friction to grip the inside kayak surface without sliding around.

You just improved the buoyancy by a whole lot which can be a big help if you ever need to cling to a swamped kayak in some big waves or something while praying the Coast Guard J-Hawk helicopter will see you.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-20-2011 at 08:49 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
bkgoodman (07-29-2011), Herburban (07-15-2011), VitaBene (07-15-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Guy

Some advice we received from the salesman when we bought our kayacks was to mark the kayak in some subtle way like scratches on the inside or a hole in an internal part or melting your name etc. If the kayak is ever stolen, it makes identifying the vessel much easier if you get into a it's mine, no it's mine situation.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
KayakinKid

VitaBene and Rattlesnake Guy offer good suggestions for marking. If you go the permanent marker route, mark it at least twice. Once in a visible spot, and the other in a not so visible spot. If your kayak goes missing, the visible one makes it easy to get the kayak back to you. If it's stolen, they might erase the first one, but probably won't think to look for another one. Mark it on the underside of the kayak deck either in the front or the back. On a lighter colored kayak, the permanent marker might show through, so a small waterproof bag with your contact information inside, and taped to the underside of the deck would work as well.

If you have carry handles on your kayak, mark your initials on the underside of the carry handles. If you use foam floatation for buoyancy, slice a small slit into it, and put a laminated card with your contact information in it.

I'm sure that there are other creative ways of marking one's kayak or canoe.

If you're out and about, and plan on leaving your kayak unattended for some time, whether it be at a campground, on your vehicle or elsewhere, a Lash-Lock might also be a good idea.
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
rick35

Default Serial number?

We bought two Pungos a few week ago and the serial numbers are etched into the plastic at the stern. Its hard to see unless you know where to look for it. That would help to prove that it is mine if stolen and if i was fortunate enough that it is found. Too many ifs and if someone steals them i dont think i'll ever see them again. But im going to put my name on them in the event they end up missing. I'm thinking of a waterproof tag that i can attach to the back of the seat.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
kdcpc

Default Missing kayack

Hi everyone, thanks so much for keeping an eye out for our kayak. I was unable to view the picture of the kayak, so If you wouldn't mind emailing me at kranney33@gmail.com, so I can see them. I've already purchased a replacement because it was my parents but I'd love to get it back. I'll also call the marine patrol.
I hope this is it.....
kdcpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
We bought two Pungos a few week ago and the serial numbers are etched into the plastic at the stern. Its hard to see unless you know where to look for it. That would help to prove that it is mine if stolen and if i was fortunate enough that it is found. Too many ifs and if someone steals them i dont think i'll ever see them again. But im going to put my name on them in the event they end up missing. I'm thinking of a waterproof tag that i can attach to the back of the seat.
The salesman we spoke with said that a savvy theif will melt away the serial number. That is why the more subtle marking or defect that helps you prove your ownership might come in handy when you see your Kayak on the roof of a car at the 93 liquor store. Unfortunatly, serial numbers are only for honest people.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Unfortunatly, serial numbers are only for honest people.
As are locks. Had a boat trailer stolen at a boat launch while i was on the lake. Thief cut through the lock and it away it went never to be seen again.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
sleeper

Default missing kayak

We ran into some boaters on our way into west alton marina who were looking for a lost camouflage kayak.
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
RANGER CANOE CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
The salesman we spoke with said that a savvy theft will melt away the serial number. That is why the more subtle marking or defect that helps you prove your ownership might come in handy when you see your Kayak on the roof of a car at the 93 liquor store. Unfortunately, serial numbers are only for honest people.
Actually, all boat manufactures like myself are required by the Coast Guard to have 2 hull identification # 's on any vessel when built. One on the outside, but there is a duplicate hidden # somewhere else. In case the outside one is been tampered with by theft. So, keep your sales slip, it will have the serial # on it.
Rattlesnake Guy (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
John A. Birdsall

Default Markings

two summers ago I saw a small floating device in the middle of the harbor and nobody around it. I towed it into shore. I got a phone number and name off the boat it was medal and rivited on the boat. I called the number the only problem was that it was a wakefield mass number but I got ahold of the owner and returned it. By the way it had a small paddle in the bottom of the boat and two people could sit in it. and it sank a couple of times being towed.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
Seeker

IMO most all poly/plastic/fibreglas kayaks are ugly. Including our own Old Town Dirigo. I believe there should be a name next to the cockpit in drcent size letters to identify the owner(s). Do this neatly and it wont affect the "beauty" of your craft. Also, after its sits sometime in the sun the outline will probably fade permanently into the hull.

No, I haven't marked either my canoe or kayak like that yet. Since I had access to Old Town badges I re-rivited a new one on the front with my name and address on the reverse. It has enough other scrapes that I could identify- this is just the final proof for an LEO.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote