Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
hancoveguy

Default Fireworks on the 4th from a boat

Hello all,
We are going bto try and do the fireworks thing from the boat this year. Its is a first for us and would love to hear ideas non how to make it a smooth adventure. What to bring, what not to bring. What time to get to each spot, best routes at night. Can you hit all the local fireworks or just one or two. Is it wise to try for all of them or just pick one.

Looking for anything that would help this endeavor...

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
GTO

Default fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Hello all,
We are going bto try and do the fireworks thing from the boat this year. Its is a first for us and would love to hear ideas non how to make it a smooth adventure. What to bring, what not to bring. What time to get to each spot, best routes at night. Can you hit all the local fireworks or just one or two. Is it wise to try for all of them or just pick one.

HCG
I'd say pick one and be happy with that. They all begin around the same time anyways. We go to Center Harbor because its close to us. Love the echos off the mountains. We learned to bring bug spray as the mosquitos can be a pain. A cooler and snacks is always good. Becareful where you park. Too close and you'll get the black soot all over your boat from the fireworks going off. And my best advise....don't be in a rush to leave as soon as the last firework goes off. It can be a madhouse with everyone leaving at once and who needs the stress
hancoveguy (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
AC2717

We as well, were going to last year to Meredith for the 3rd, but whole group was not about it, but I want to try this year, as long as wind not an issue,

DO most drop anchor in Meredith bay or do most jogg the boat?
if wind I am not heading in, want to enjoy them fully instead of watching out for everyone else
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Hello all,

HCG
Hi H.G.

We always go to Wolfeboro and have a great time! No need to get there too early but I would get there at least 45 minutes before start time. Don't try to float around as you will need to anchor.

Whatever you normally bring for night time navigation is a must. Things like a GPS, hand held spot light I would definitely recommend. I would also recommend waiting 1/2 hour or so after the fireworks are complete to let the many boats out of the bay first as it can be a little bit intimidating with 100's of boats all leaving at the same time especially if you have never done it before.

All in all it's a GREAT time and you will enjoy it!

Have fun!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Alton Bay

The fireworks usually comes with a band playing in the gazebo next to the docks. I would bring my family early for dinner at Pops, listen to the music, fireworks, ice cream after. By the time we have our ice cream and load up the boat, the bay is pretty clear.

As for the Weirs, Meredith and Wolfeboro, it gets crowded and the trip home can be a bit crazy.

Center Harbor has good fireworks and rarely get crowded with boats.

If the weather is calm, try sitting out on the Broads. You get to see the other fireworks like Gilford, Lakeport, Moultonboro, Tuftonboro etc. As well as the fireworks from the harbors. Welch Island put on a good show too!
hancoveguy (06-24-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
jrc

Last few years we went to Meredith. I've tried two tactics early or late.

Early means get there at 6-7PM and anchor up front. This works well if you have the people and boat to keep happy for 3 plus hours. After the show, slowly get ready and leave you will be at the back of the pack. Not a bad place to be. If you try this bring bug spray on top of the regular stuff.

We've abandoned early because we just don't have the ability to sit still for that long. So now we drive into the back of the bay at dusk and float around during the show. Once the show is over we high tail it out of there ahead of the pack. Downsides is poor view from the back of the bay and traffic leaving can be stressful. Even if I start out in front of the pack they allways catch me near the Weirs.

As for routes, mine is easy, I go up the bay and under the Governors's Island bridge. The rest of the way is uncrowded. For you going to Braun Bay area, the area near Eagle Island is tough at night, especially in a crowd.

Wherever you go and whatever route you take, make sure you know the way cold. Things look different at night and that many boats can block your landmarks.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Default Know your way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Wherever you go and whatever route you take, make sure you know the way cold. Things look different at night and that many boats can block your landmarks.
I agree and I will emphasize that last paragraph!

Last edited by BroadHopper; 06-24-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling!
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Good info right there. BH & JRC.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

We normally ride the Harley down to watch the Alton Bay display on the 3rd rather than go by boat. So my perspective on watching from a boat is only as an on shore observer.

Docking at the Alton Bay public boat slips fills-up very early.

As fireworks are launched from a barge usually slightly north of the floating bandstand boat anchoring can be either lower in the bay or up bay from the barge and outside of a safety perimeter.

Plan on being at anchor for quite a while in terms of personal comfort.

If it is a nice evening there will be a lot of boats. We normally hop on the bike right after end of show and riding north we can view the mass exodus of north bound boats. As has been noted you have to be ready to deal with that in terms of navigation.

Have Fun!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
hancoveguy

Thanks to all that posted, all very good info. I am sure many more will post between between now and then but as now I think we are leaning towards just choosing one location. Once we do that we will move on to the early late discussion and the get off the boat for food and ice cream discussion.

If you had to choose one location, based on ease of boating alone, what would it be? Entry, egress, view, landmarks etc...all at night.

HCG

Besides, I havent even checked who is having fireworks and when yet...lol
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Better to wait.

We used to do the fireworks, Wolfeboro, Meredith and Alton depending on how far we were willing to travel back, but we would always try and wait until after many have left. Even in a large boat you can really get tossed around by the volume of wakes from the big boats.
Also remember the 25mph speed limit which they do tend to enforce more then the day time one.
I highly recommend a GPS as a backup because it all looks soooo different especially on a pitch black night.
Funny, we go to Maine now for all the holiday weekends to get away from the crowds who flock here to get away from there states. I hope they never put in a major highway to the Moosehead lakes region. The 4-5 hour drive from here keeps the crowds away.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Funny, we go to Maine now for all the holiday weekends to get away from the crowds who flock here to get away from there states. I hope they never put in a major highway to the Moosehead lakes region. The 4-5 hour drive from here keeps the crowds away.
You are spot on as far as the interstate. My Grandfather and my Dad says the interstate is the worst thing that happen to the region. At first, I disagree. Now I am convinced.
I usually relax up at Thompson Lake in Maine. It reminds me of Winnipesaukee in the 50's.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Rattlesnake Guy

The heavy marine patrol presence seems to have helped the mad dash we saw a few years ago. We also hold back for the folks who are anxious to get a head start. It can be disorienting to have that many boat lights in your view. The 150 foot rule kind of gets to be the 50 foot rule (if you're Lucky).

It is great fun to watch the fireworks from the boat with the family.

Sadly, this year I will be 13 time zones away trying to eat with chop sticks.

Happy Birthday America!
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I highly recommend a GPS as a backup because it all looks soooo different especially on a pitch black night.
And it will be pitch black. New moon is on 1 July this year.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
Belmont Resident

Default this''n that

I've boated for 15 years on this lake. I have no problems navigating around the Witches at night and quite often before moving here made the trip from Long Island campground and back from the Weirs.
But coming from Alton or Wolfeboro and hitting the broads puts a whole new meaning on disorientation on a pitch black night.
I’ll take Maine any day though. No crowds, no traffic, and best of all no cops. Hell there isn’t even a police station in the town just state police and sheriff to patrol back & forth between towns.
I used to love this area when I was a visitor. Now that I live here I can’t wait to get away from the crowds and traffic that tourist season brings. After a while it just wears you down and makes you appreciate the true outdoors of North Country.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-26-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
CrownRay

We usually take the boat to Center Harbor. Seeing as how we are on BlackCat, its a quick run, so we just leave our dock about 5 minutes before, and sit right at the mouth of the harbor ( near those markers where the loons hangout). Then, Its 4 minutes back home, to watch all the boats parade under the bridge from our deck!

Actually, the "fireworks" from our neighbors across the way on the mainland are actually just as good!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I always go to Wolfeboro as well, will be out there again this year for user, it does get a little crowded but the show is always worth it. Usually the boats start to stack up about 1.5 hours before the show and it takes a good 1/2 hour or so for the bay to clear out. I just usually hang around afterwards, there is one place that puts on one heck of a private show - or at least has done so the past couple of years which we go over and watch while everyone is on thier way out. It's never a disappointment to go there, but as already suggested navigating at night can be tricky and even a little confusing especially if you don't have clear skies and a good full moon to light things up. GPS would be a wise thing to have that's for sure.

If you go enjoy the show!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
GTO

Default another reason....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd say pick one and be happy with that. They all begin around the same time anyways. We go to Center Harbor because its close to us. Love the echos off the mountains. We learned to bring bug spray as the mosquitos can be a pain. A cooler and snacks is always good. Becareful where you park. Too close and you'll get the black soot all over your boat from the fireworks going off. And my best advise....don't be in a rush to leave as soon as the last firework goes off. It can be a madhouse with everyone leaving at once and who needs the stress
Another reason for waiting for the crowd to leave before pulling up anchor. After most Center harbor emptiesd out last night after the fireworks, the people working the barge found a strip of unspent fireworks and shot them off. There must of been another 20 rockets that they sent up. It was like our own private show as most of the boats had already made it to the open lake by then. BTW, Center Harbor fireworks were better than Weirs Beach from the night before....Good job Center Harbor
Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
John A. Birdsall

Default Alton Bay

Does anybody know why the fireworks in Alton Bay were delayed 1/2 hour on the 3rd? The bay started to empty of boats 15 minutes after they were scheduled to start.

We anchored off of Sandy Point, Had a good hold on the bottom and the fireworks were great. Also had them on both sides of the bay going off earlier.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
Does anybody know why the fireworks in Alton Bay were delayed 1/2 hour on the 3rd? The bay started to empty of boats 15 minutes after they were scheduled to start.

We anchored off of Sandy Point, Had a good hold on the bottom and the fireworks were great. Also had them on both sides of the bay going off earlier.
Well there has been some discussion here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12477
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote