Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
ITD

Default Moultonboro Conditions

Hello all, thinking about sneaking away and going on a snowmobile ride around Moultonboro and maybe thru Castle in the clouds to Ossippee.

Anyone know the conditions? Are the ice crossings safe? Trails have snow? Probably go over the lake from near Blackey's cove to Center Harbor up over Red hill, thru the neck, across Mountonboro bay and then to Ossipee.

Anyone???

Thanks,

ITD
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Cobalt

The rain and warm temps on Monday melted the snow on the Lake and turned it to glare ice. That said, the Moultonboro Bay side on Saturday and Sunday was fine before the meltdown.

The Castle trail on Sunday was rough with plenty of ruts caused by the machine traffic and water bars. Ossipee Valley is reporting the inch of rain on Monday has flooded some trails which are now solid ice.

I did not see any sled traffic going thru Center Harbor, and the Red Hill trails on Sunday, before the heavy rain, were good.

I did not want to take the return trip over the Castle because of the conditions on Sunday, and returned via Sandwich Notch and over Squam to Red Hill. I remember taking this route years ago, but it looks like the old trails are no longer. It was rough and not marked well. I should have bit the bullet and returned via the Castle. Be prepared for very icy conditions.

I hope this helps.

Cobalt
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobalt For This Useful Post:
ITD (01-09-2014), surfnsnow (01-09-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
SAB1

If I were you I would try to make some calls to people you know up there. I cant imagine it would be worth the trip up. I was up last weekend and had a blast but from what I have heard the rain took its toll. With more rain tomorrow I cant see how it would be any good at all. I saw on the twinmountain report that they closed their trails.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Sorry- I have been traveling, so I just saw this.

We groomed many of our trails this week and they are in decent shape in most cases. I do not believe that you will want to make the Shaw Mountain run at this time. It was in tough shape before the rain, and I have a feeling that the water bars will be brutal.

Please note that the Moultonboro Club, Wolfeboro Club and the State Bureau of Trails all groom their respective areas to the 171 parking lot across from the Castle entrance. The state is responsible for 171 to Ossipee so I do not have first hand info.

I do not believe that we will be in good shape following the predicted rain this weekend. Hopefully we will retain the great icy base that we have under the existing snow!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
ITD (01-10-2014), surfnsnow (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Sorry- I have been traveling, so I just saw this.

We groomed many of our trails this week and they are in decent shape in most cases. I do not believe that you will want to make the Shaw Mountain run at this time. It was in tough shape before the rain, and I have a feeling that the water bars will be brutal.

Please note that the Moultonboro Club, Wolfeboro Club and the State Bureau of Trails all groom their respective areas to the 171 parking lot across from the Castle entrance. The state is responsible for 171 to Ossipee so I do not have first hand info.

I do not believe that we will be in good shape following the predicted rain this weekend. Hopefully we will retain the great icy base that we have under the existing snow!
Thanks for the update and the great work. I decided not to venture up as I was unsure of the conditions and I'm going to the game tomorrow anyway so it would have been and up and back today deal. I hope it gets better soon, I want to try a Saturday ride one of these days.

Thanks again!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (01-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Thanks for the update and the great work. I decided not to venture up as I was unsure of the conditions and I'm going to the game tomorrow anyway so it would have been and up and back today deal. I hope it gets better soon, I want to try a Saturday ride one of these days.

Thanks again!!
Stay dry! My son went down for the last game in similar conditions- he was glad I made him take a poncho! I am going to enjoy this game from my chair
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Stay dry! My son went down for the last game in similar conditions- he was glad I made him take a poncho! I am going to enjoy this game from my chair
Tell me about it, they are predicting heavy rain driven by 45 mph winds, gonna be fun. There really is no staying dry, but I will have a full rain suit, probably covered with a garbage bag for these conditions. I thought the Buffalo game was bad, but this sounds like it will be worse.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
VitaBene

Default Trailmasters Report 2-5-2014 (10PM)

Trailmaster's report: Corridor 15 panned/ groomed Meredith to castle parking lot. Should be great tomorrow!

Eric and Bill will be out on skandics tomorrow.

Red Hill trail open and should be groomed tomorrow.

Enjoy and ride safe!

Respectfully submitted,

John Harrington
Trailmaster
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (02-06-2014), ITD (02-06-2014), Lakemamma (02-06-2014), surfnsnow (02-06-2014), Webbsatwinni (02-06-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Castle Trails

We ran 81 miles today. We ran from Meredith via Winni to Center Harbor to Castle in Clouds to Ossipee. Ossipee trails on back side of Castle was amazing. The trails from Ambrose Cove Marina to the Castle were terrible. Not enough snow! Riding on Winni was amazing!!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
wifi

Default Moultonboro bay

Be careful, some bob house owners have taken to daily plow out to their hole. This leaves a 3 foot wall on each side with ice in the middle. If you are sledding in the night, especially at higher speed, be on the lookout.

I wouldn't want the liability of doing this plowing.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
We ran 81 miles today. We ran from Meredith via Winni to Center Harbor to Castle in Clouds to Ossipee. Ossipee trails on back side of Castle was amazing. The trails from Ambrose Cove Marina to the Castle were terrible. Not enough snow! Riding on Winni was amazing!!!
We definitely need more dense snow. I groomed that run this AM. Vic and Eric will be doing it tonight. The moisture content isn't there for it to stand up to this traffic.

I will hit corridor 15 from Ambrose Cove power line side to Meredith early AM. But it will still not hold up. If we get a half foot before vacation week, we will be in great shape.

It was awesome to see all of the people out on the ice, and all of the sleds all over town!

Thank you to all of our great volunteers, landowners and members!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
VitaBene

Default 2-9 Update 0900

A Skandic went out last night and groomed the local trails around Subway.

Corridor 15 Meredith line to 171 lot groomed.
Skelley's/ Balmoral groomed.
Trail from playground drive to VK groomed.
VK to lake groomed

We will try for Red Hill tomorrow- it is very icy and the Tucker has rubber tracks
Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
SAB1

I rode Saturday morning out of the 19 Mile Bay up over Lang Pond rd and picked up the powerline back into Melvin Bay. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give a 5. In the Afternoon my son wanted to try Mt Shaw. Wish we hadn't that run was not fun. Beyond bumpy a bit of ice underneath in spots. Definately need snow. Stuck to the lake Sunday.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #14
nightrider

Default Great ride Thursday

6 of us headed out from Ossipee Lake up the tracks Thursday morning. Bumpy but not terrible. Occasional rail. Tried the new 19A bypass but not enough snow. Back on the tracks to the Ski Doo dealer. Young kid moving new iron around the yard had us lol when he saw our group asking if they opened up the old folks home for an antique sled ride (none of our sleds was older than 10 years). Anyway, back on the tracks thru Conway and all gassed up at Redstone. Headed towards Evans Notch. All trails groomed from Redstone northward. Route 113 thru Evans was mint. Even on soft snow we hit 90 per down the backside. Visited the rebuilt bridge over the Wild River then reversed our course back to Redstone and Ossipee. 90 miles from Redstone to Wild River bridge and back to Redstone. One Yammi didn't make it so one in the group ran to Redstone for a gallon of gas. All re-gassed at Redstone and we were on our way. The tracks had been groomed while we were out so the return trip down the tracks was smoother. 180 miles for the day. Only disappointment was when we pulled up to the Songbird for dinner only to find it closed for the evening at 8:30 PM. Snow this Thursday should be good, heavy & packable. I'll be looking to join someone for a ride mid Saturday morning and Sunday.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
VitaBene

Grooming update:
Corridor 15 N groomed from Tedeschi's to Ambrose Cove today 1PM

Red Hill groomed to Old Harvard Rd (thanks to snowmobile traffic packing we could climb it with the drag, and thanks to Rob Lincoln and riding partner for the assist with the winch cable!).

Garage to VK and Fox Hollow and Lee Pond for ice racing traffic.

Skelley's / 171 groomed.

Eric and Bill Richards went out in Kona Forest on Skandics and groomed.

PLEASE NOTE GROOMERS WILL BE OUT DURING THE DAY

Lee Pond is plowed, use caution!

Enjoy and safe riding!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Formula (02-17-2014), ITD (02-17-2014), NHWakesurfer (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
SAB1

I would say in my short three year career the conditions this weekend were the best I have had around winni. Saturday we left at 2 pm and we rode out to squam. Got twisted up on way home on red hill and didn't get back until 9 pm. Great ride little bumpy in spots but can't complain. Sunday we we took off out of 20 mile bay and rode to the pizza barn for lunch. Conditions were the best. Well groomed and the rail road Bed was phenomenal. The conditions on the lake are sketchy. That wind blown crust is difficult when ur ski cuts in and grabs. We had two rookies lay sleds over. Luckily no one broken bones. Hope more snow hits!
VitaBene (02-18-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
NHWakesurfer

Vita thank you for the updates and to all the groomers for the work they do to make the trails great. I got in a 150 mile ride today and trails were the best I've seen in years. Moultonboro Neck, Red Hill, Sandwich Notch, Plymouth, Meredith, CTR HBR, 15 to 26 (Wolfeboro). We saw more deer then sleds up until about 1pm.

Great day and thanks again to all the clubs and land owners that make it possible.
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHWakesurfer For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (02-18-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
Formula

Default Thank you

Quote:
Grooming update:
Corridor 15 N groomed from Tedeschi's to Ambrose Cove today 1PM

Red Hill groomed to Old Harvard Rd (thanks to snowmobile traffic packing we could climb it with the drag, and thanks to Rob Lincoln and riding partner for the assist with the winch cable!).

Garage to VK and Fox Hollow and Lee Pond for ice racing traffic.

Skelley's / 171 groomed.

Eric and Bill Richards went out in Kona Forest on Skandics and groomed.

PLEASE NOTE GROOMERS WILL BE OUT DURING THE DAY

Lee Pond is plowed, use caution!

Enjoy and safe riding!!
You guys are awesome. I was able for the first time join for the club ride this past Saturday. The trip was great and the conditions were even better!
I hope to do it again before the end of the season.
Keep up the good work to all in MSC
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formula For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (02-18-2014), WINNOCTURN (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #19
VitaBene

Default Update 2-17 10 PM

Eric is out on local trails with Skandics now.

Don groomed corridor Meredith to Lake as well as Red Hill and Fox Hollow.

Eric went on his final 97 Tucker orientation ride and groomed Skelleys/ 171 this AM!

Brian Coutu went on his orientation ride in the 97, he already grooms with the 09 Tucker. Skelley's side groomed again tonite after a busy snowmobile day.

The trails are in great shape thanks to these and other great volunteers!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula View Post
You guys are awesome. I was able for the first time join for the club ride this past Saturday. The trip was great and the conditions were even better!
I hope to do it again before the end of the season.
Keep up the good work to all in MSC
Hi- did we meet? I was driving the Tucker and met the ride at the VK.

John
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #21
SAB1

Any way to get a trail map for Moultonboro mailed to me? Didnt get one this weekend. I looked on the website but didnt see an option to purchase though it says they can be mailed. Credit Card payment?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Any way to get a trail map for Moultonboro mailed to me? Didnt get one this weekend. I looked on the website but didnt see an option to purchase though it says they can be mailed. Credit Card payment?
SAB1,

Did you try Skelly's? They were going to be re-stocked Saturday?
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #23
ITD

Quote:

John
I met you John, was there with my son. First club ride, had a great time.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #24
Formula

Default I think so

Quote:

John
I think so. I was there with my son Ryan and i drove a skidoo MXZ longtrack.
once again you guys do a great job.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #25
NHWakesurfer

Default snowmobile trail questions

I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone might know the answers to.

1. when I enter trail 15 from Ambrose cove heading to the castle parking lot there appears to be a couple of lefts you can take. One I think is to Skelly's market/gas that has a sign but where do the next two lefts go they don't appear to have any signs. Is there anything else up that way other then Skelly's market? can you get to Buckey's?

2. I understand you can get to the Pine Cone by sled any hints on where you would pick that trail up and is it marked. I didn't see it off of 15 or 26. We tried the Bob house and VK but both were closed on Monday.

3. If you have any other good sled trail access resteraunts that you like please suggest within a reasonable radius of Moultonboro. trail access vs just driving via the lake and going to the obvious ones you can do by boat in the summer.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #26
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I met you John, was there with my son. First club ride, had a great time.
It is good to put a face with a screen name. I am glad you had fun! I had a great time out on the trails too (in the groomer). I will post the ride pic on our facebook page that I took in front of the groomer.

Here is the link to our FB Page https://www.facebook.com/MoultonboroSMC
ITD (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #27
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula View Post
I think so. I was there with my son Ryan and i drove a skidoo MXZ longtrack.
once again you guys do a great job.
Yes we talked for a bit! Great meeting you! Getting snow here now
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHWakesurfer View Post

1. when I enter trail 15 from Ambrose cove heading to the castle parking lot there appears to be a couple of lefts you can take. One I think is to Skelly's market/gas that has a sign but where do the next two lefts go they don't appear to have any signs. Is there anything else up that way other then Skelly's market? can you get to Buckey's?

2. I understand you can get to the Pine Cone by sled any hints on where you would pick that trail up and is it marked. I didn't see it off of 15 or 26. We tried the Bob house and VK but both were closed on Monday.

3. If you have any other good sled trail access resteraunts that you like please suggest within a reasonable radius of Moultonboro. trail access vs just driving via the lake and going to the obvious ones you can do by boat in the summer.

Thanks
Hi- I will try to answer your questions!
1) The first left takes you to Shelley's/ Balmoral. The next two lefts are a loop.

2) I have been to the Pine Cone once on a sled but cannot remember the entire route, but thought is was marked then. You would start by heading toward Wolfeboro out of the Castle/ 171 parking lot (end of our system).

3) You can take corridor 15 to CTR Harbor, then follow sign at the Junction and end up in the Parking lot of Red Hill Dairy and Erving (maybe Samiam will open early!). then walk to the Mug or Kevin's or Pat's. Canoe might pick you up in their shuttle if you called?
NHWakesurfer (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #29
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
SAB1,

Did you try Skelly's? They were going to be re-stocked Saturday?
Just stopped there. They are out. I would LOVE to get a good trail map. We are fairly new to riding. Seems like every time we venture out we get lost.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
secondcurve

Quote:

Thanks
You definitely can get to Pine Cone from by sled. I saw numerous sleds there this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't know where the trail across the street from the restaurant intersects the lake. I'm sure someone will give you some advice.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #31
SAB1

THe trail to the Pine Cone is not marked or at least I have never seen it so. You pick it up in Melvin Bay to the East of the trail that goes up along side Melvin Village Marine and across the road by the fire station. Head over into that corner to the east and just off the water you will see a series of small green cabins. The trail runs right up thru them and directly to the Pine Cone across the street. The trail is very narrow just enough for one sled to poke thru.
NHWakesurfer (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #32
NHWakesurfer

Thanks SAB1 that is why I couldn't find it off the trails it sounds like its accessed from the lake.

thanks again.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #33
VitaBene

I will get maps to Skelley's!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #34
sluggo

Just got in from riding to Plymouth and back through sandwich notch from Moultonborough. Trails weren't groomed but awesome. Ton of snow out there now. After the groomers come through the conditions will be excellent. Lake snow is deep but once you get up on top its like riding on a cloud. Watch the corners there's a lot of slide when your moving fast.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #35
pcmc

I would appreciate a current pic or two if anyone has a chance.
It must look like heaven there now.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #36
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
I would appreciate a current pic or two if anyone has a chance.
It must look like heaven there now.
There is a link to our FB page a few posts up, I posted some pics from grooming Suissevale side of town taken last night. Very pretty up here right now... rain, stay away!
pcmc (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #37
SAB1

How are the trails looking this week after last weekends fantastic riding. With the rain and warm temps do you expect them to survive the weekend ?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #38
Island-Ho

Default Lake Ice/Slush?

What will lake/ice conditions be like this weekend after warm-up and rain? Can we expect a wet ride?
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #39
VitaBene

I think the lake may be better than the tails for a day or so- we will have to wait until it gets a bit cooler to groom again. Looking at the weather, I would think we should be able to groom Sat PM
Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #40
VitaBene

Default 2-24 7:52PM Update

The guys hit it hard over the past few days to catch up after the warm-up. As many are aware, we cannot groom when the temps are above freezing. Now that we are back in the deep freeze, that wet snow became very granular and chunky- it will get better as it is ridden on.

Groomed:
Corridor 15 Meredith to Lake
Skelley's/ Balmoral/171
Red Hill (winch failed Thursday so we had to quick ship a new one in for today so as long as it came in!).
Majority of Skandic trails.

Enjoy, we will keep working it as long as the snow allows
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Cobalt (02-24-2014), surfnsnow (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #41
NHWakesurfer

Default another trail question

SAB1 thanks for the tips to the Pine Cone I found it this weekend from the lake there was actually a sign out on the lake at the entrance with a menu posted to it. I had another question based on that area. There is a trail right next to the melvine village marina where does that go? Does that go out to trail 26? my MSC map doesn't pick up that far south

Thanks if it does that would be a good short cut for me over to Ossipee. My son want to go to the Pizza Barn which I understand is right on trail 19
Old 02-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #42
SAB1

I dont have my map in front of me and I am a bit of a newbie but the trail that goes up beside Melvin Marina crosses RT109 and winds it way to what I think is Corridor 26. (someone else can confirm) If you go left you would off toward Moultonboro and if you go right that will take you to the warming hut (never seen it open) on the powerline. If you go left at the warming hut that will eventually get you out to the Pizza Barn and or Smokehouse up on the corner of Rt16/Rt25. We did that two weeks ago and it was fantasic, as was the Pizza. The rail bed was great riding. Not sure how that is now. If you were to go right at the warming hut that would stay with the powerline and across Ledge Hill Road down through a field and into the Lang Pond Road area.
NHWakesurfer (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #43
NHWakesurfer

Thanks SAB1 thats where I thought that trail would go. Sorry for all the questions but its good to know what I'm getting into with the kids in tow. One more question on your trip to the Pizza Barn if you were at Melvin Village on the lake and went the way you discribed how long would it roughly take to get there?

Thanks again and it looks like there is a chance for some snow the next few days every little bit helps. I'm also a newbie in the last three years to this area and the last couple were bad and didn't get out much.

This has been a great year to discover new areas.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #44
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
SAB1 thanks for the tips to the Pine Cone I found it this weekend from the lake there was actually a sign out on the lake at the entrance with a menu posted to it. I had another question based on that area. There is a trail right next to the melvine village marina where does that go? Does that go out to trail 26? my MSC map doesn't pick up that far south

Thanks if it does that would be a good short cut for me over to Ossipee. My son want to go to the Pizza Barn which I understand is right on trail 19
NHWakesurfe,

Take a look at the map at the bottom of the MSC CLUB RIDE Saturday Feb 15th Post.

It shows 2 possible ways of getting to the Pizza Barn. The trail in Melvin Village does connect to "26", it is known as the Power Line Trial and the Wolfeboro Trial. You can get on "26", turn left and head towards the Castle. You could turn right and connect with "200" to "19" and head back up the rail-bed to the Pizza Barn.

This is easier.

Name:  Club Ride 2-15-14.JPG
Views: 3221
Size:  121.1 KB

Cheryl and I like to share the Pepperoni Pizza. It seems that there is about 2lbs Pepperoni on it. Your first thought when they place it on the table is OMG we'll never eat all of that. Their Salads are great. The small Salad is enough for 2 people. Just ask for a second bowl.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 02-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
NHWakesurfer (02-25-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #45
BraunBayGuy

Default Moultonboro Trail conditions 2/28

Rode 50+ miles today. Left Braun Bay on Kona trails. Hooked onto 15 north to Castle parking lot. Trails were hard, a little icey in some corners, but in great shape. Headed down towards Wolfboro on 26. Power line trail was great. We turned around about 5 miles from Castle parking lot when my daughter informed me she had to get ready for work. At Arey's took lake back to Camp Tecumseh. It was like riding on concrete. Went out with my son and went down the neck trails to the Village Kitchen and up Red Hill. Saw some deer. Turned around at Garfield Pond Lookout and went home. Red Hill trails were awesome. Well groomed and very little ice. Neck trails were very good. Some bare spots and ice. Power line trail on the neck was great. I hope it worms up a bit. My 500 liquid started to over heat slightly on ride back. As soon as I hit the end of Braun Bay I bee lined it to shore and found some softer snow and the light went right off.
BraunBayGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BraunBayGuy For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (03-01-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #46
VitaBene

Default Thank you

Braun- thank you for the review, it is good to get a rider's perspective!

The groomer operators work hard and appreciate your comments.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #47
SAB1

Sorry nh wake. Just saw this. It took us 1 hour 15 min from Melvin. Did you make it there?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #48
NHWakesurfer

SAB1 yes we did make it there thanks and the 1hr and 15min is about right we were a little slower but had young riders with us so we took our time (although some didn't like the speed we were going as they blew by us on RR tracks). Its hard to see them coming from behind). I was worried with last weekends warm weather that he trails would be in rough shape but we found just the opposite they were in amazing shape. We did roughly 100 miles and there was very little ice or bare spots. The RR tracks were like a carpet.

While I'm logged in I thought I'd throw out another trail question. What is the deal with the NH trail map that shows trail 26 going right out to winni at Wolfboro center. We took 19S to 22S to 26 toward Wolfeboro and it just dead ends with no obvious way to Winni. Fortunatly we asked someone in town and they pointed us over to Cresent lake to the golf course to Winni that way. Would have been a long way back around otherwise. We saw some other riders that we asked for directions as we were turing around and they weren't from around the area and thought it went straight out as well. Is that move through Cresent lake noted on the Wolfboro local trail map? Has anyone else run into this seem like a big miss on the map.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #49
VitaBene

Default Cate Park

Quote:
SAB1 yes we did make it there thanks and the 1hr and 15min is about right we were a little slower but had young riders with us so we took our time (although some didn't like the speed we were going as they blew by us on RR tracks). Its hard to see them coming from behind). I was worried with last weekends warm weather that he trails would be in rough shape but we found just the opposite they were in amazing shape. We did roughly 100 miles and there was very little ice or bare spots. The RR tracks were like a carpet.

While I'm logged in I thought I'd throw out another trail question. What is the deal with the NH trail map that shows trail 26 going right out to winni at Wolfboro center. We took 19S to 22S to 26 toward Wolfeboro and it just dead ends with no obvious way to Winni. Fortunatly we asked someone in town and they pointed us over to Cresent lake to the golf course to Winni that way. Would have been a long way back around otherwise. We saw some other riders that we asked for directions as we were turing around and they weren't from around the area and thought it went straight out as well. Is that move through Cresent lake noted on the Wolfboro local trail map? Has anyone else run into this seem like a big miss on the map.
I am not sure about the corridor, but I know you can get into Wolfeboro Ctr through Cate Park downtown
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #50
SAB1

Glad you made it and had a good ride. By your report I wish I had made the run. Oh well. I am trying pittsburg next week for the first time.u
Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #51
NHWakesurfer

SAB1 have fun up in Pitt

Vita when you say you can get there via Cate park? I'm not sure how. Trail 26 (cotton Valley RR tracks) ends in the back bay area behind the old train depot. There was no obvious way to cross the main street to cate park from back there? But we did make it through kingswood golf course by back tracking a bit. Sorry my question are drifting towards Wolfeboro and this thread is Moultonborough trails but I'm a MSC member and I start my journey's from there
Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #52
chipj29

Quote:
What is the deal with the NH trail map Has anyone else run into this seem like a big miss on the map.
I can tell you that the state corridor map for the trails in my area in Bow is VERY inaccurate. Our corridor trails have not changed in many years, and they got it very very wrong.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #53
nightrider

Default corridor 26

Trail 26 definitely does not go thru downtown Wolfeboro. You cannot get any closer to downtown Wolfeboro than behind the old rail station from the tracks. The Interactive map shows green trail 351 thru Lake Wentworth but does not show the continuation of that trail which goes thru the golf course and onto Winni. Once onto Winni you would swing to the right and go into Wolfeboro Bay to access downtown.
I was riding Winni this past weekend. Went from Winter Harbor across the lake to Meredith. Flat 'n fast with just enough softness on top to lube and cool. On the tracks at Meredith and up to Plymouth to gas up. From there went trail 24 around Newfound Lake to trail 11 and local trail 150 across Newfound. Stay off Newfound. It was rutted up badly from last weekend. The trails were pretty good over there. Returned to the tracks in Ashland then back to trail 15 and met up with the MSC progressive diner. Kudos to all the club members that made the diner the success that it was. Great time. Thanks to all. Rode from Center Harbor to Braun Bay for the last leg of the diner then home to Winter Harbor via the lake after desert. (the Pine Cone closed early or that would have been the next stop)
Fished yesterday on 24" of ice, and there will still be ice building all this week. The auger almost bottomed out before punching thru. We'll be riding and partying at the shanty well into March. This will be one of those years where the remove the shanty by April 1 rule makes no sense. Yes I know you can't fish after March 31 but the shanty makes for a nice gathering place to cook out, lay out in the chaise lounge and listen to country music while having a cold beer in the warm April sun. Ice out first week of May.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightrider For This Useful Post:
Cobalt (03-09-2014), NHWakesurfer (03-04-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #54
BraunBayGuy

Default Moultonboro Trails

Road from Braun Bay to top of Mt. Shaw and back yesterday. Spring like conditions. Snow was like mashed potatos. Kona trails are great. Lave from Camp Tecumseh down to Arey's had softened up in 45 degree temps. Getting off lake at Arey's a challenge if you do not have studs. My studded sled made it up no problem. Non studded was a bear. Needed help from son and another rider. Trails to castle were soft and lots of bear spots. Especially where sun hits them. Castle trails had some bare spots. Higher up plenty of snow. Only bare in the hair pins. Talked to someone and they said the trail to ossipee was really good. Lets hope it does snow this Thursday or it could be lake riding only by next weekend.
Cobalt (03-09-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #55
SAB1

Was hoping for a bit better report there BraunBay. Hope we get hammered Thursday. Went to Pittsburg this weekend. It was fantastic.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #56
NHWakesurfer

Default snow

I think you guys are going to get your wish. Looks like 12 to 18 inches of snow coming Wed into Thur. This should extend the season. I have just over 2 feet of ice infront of my place this weekend off of Long Island. Brief warm up this weekend and back to cold it looks.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #57
SAB1

Boy the forecast sure changed overnite. Any of you guys that live up in Moultonboro, Tuftonboro, Wolfboro area that can post snow totals that would be great. Will need to know if the trip up will be worth it Saturday.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #58
carno

Default Storm report

Any update for the storm and conditions for possible ride on friday...looking to sneak in another ride from Moultonborough Friday Morning ..looks like the elevations made out great but not so much at lake level..Grooming done for the season?..Thanks for any info...
carno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #59
ultrarider

Default Storm Report (from N.E. of lake Wentworth)

As of this observation at 12:00 noon, it looks like the storm is puttering out, and I have about 3" - to maybe 4" of snow. FYI- I went out last Saturday on the Cotton Valley Rail Road Tracks (NH 26) to Moose Mtn., and it was groomed the best I've seen all year. Able to do 40-45 mph. Not sure how it is today, or how it will be with rain for Saturday and temps in mid 40's. I plan to go out early Saturday.
ultrarider
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #60
SAB1

Would be nice to hear some groomer reports as to the conditions. Maybe they are out grooming now. I dont see any updates to the Moultonboro Snomo website. Maybe we will have to travel the next couple weekends. I can tell you if you want to ride the drive to Pittsburg is worth it.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #61
carno

Default update

Thanks for the info...I would love to leave from yard...(states Landing)..do the loop around Shaw..usualy go from castle over to white lake ect..how is the trail on the south/east side of shaw back to wolfboro?..might try that and come back over the on the way back...I believe that is 200 to 19
carno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:10 AM   #62
SAB1

Anyone been out? No info on MSC page since 3/6. Is the grooming over?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #63
sluggo

The castle trails are fair , icy in the corners and marginal on the bottom trails on the winni side. The top of the castle was good. I would say the trails to ossippee will be about the same. Went up red hill, the snow pack was good but again marginal on the lower trails. Ran big and little squam lake to Plymouth. The lakes are icy again but there's snow to find to cool the sleds. Got on the tracks and headed north some rail not bad though. Went up the tracks to Woodstock and the conditions were great ! I am going to trailer to Campton and run from there this week. Might do a ride to Pittsburg from there and back over the weekend. Have fun and be safe !
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggo For This Useful Post:
Cobalt (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #64
VitaBene

Default Update

Good Morning, the following is from an email I received from Eric Erving who has been leading the grooming coordination efforts (I am away in Miami celebrating hitting the top of the hill (50)!):

"The snow storm never materialized; we got 12 hours of rain followed by a few inches of snow. We lost much more than we gained. Grooming now will damage the landowner’s trails and risk damage to our equipment. Therefore we have not groomed. Next week’s forecast calls for Saturday’s temp to be 47 degrees with rain. I’m pretty sure we’re done for the season. I’m already making lists to do upon closing trails and early spring projects."
Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #65
Cobalt

Thank you and all the members of the club who worked hard to give us some of the best conditions seen on any of the trails in our area.

Tough to fight against the mid-March sun.

I hope you all enjoy the summer.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #66
VitaBene

Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Thank you and all the members of the club who worked hard to give us some of the best conditions seen on any of the trails in our area.

Tough to fight against the mid-March sun.

I hope you all enjoy the summer.
It is appreciated! I love summer and only do the "winter stuff" to get through to it!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #67
SAB1

Agreed. The trails this year were very good. Thanks form me also. Just wish the season was longer. Never really experienced the lake in the winter until the past couple years. When there is snow to ride on I think I enjoy as much as summer, probably a bit more. Its just to short.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #68
NHWakesurfer

Default any weekend reports

I was curious since I didn't make it up this weekend if anyone got out for a ride and if there is anything left or is the riding all north of Lincoln now. It sounds like the ice is very very thick still from all the reports but from the CAMs it looks like all ice and little to no snow cover left.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #69
VitaBene

I do not believe that a liquid cooled machine can cool with the conditions I have seen on the lake...
NHWakesurfer (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #70
pcmc

Quote:
I do not believe that a liquid cooled machine can cool with the conditions I have seen on the lake...
With little to no snow, can a smaller air cooled machine operate without issues, or do the track slides become the next issue to have over heating problems?
Thanks.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #71
SAB1

Anyone have any info on the Twin Mountain area and how the trails are there?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #72
nightrider

Default slider lube

At this time of year one usually has to wait until the morning sun softens the surface ice on the lake until you get enough soft stuff to lube and cool. The good news is that there's plenty of ice (30"+/-) and we'll be riding the lake well into April. Those 60+ degree days in the bright April sun riding in a light shirt are fantastic.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #73
nhcatrider

We rode from White Lake on Sunday, trails were in great shape until we got closer to Conway. Got on Alt 19 and the snow was nice and deep. Today we rode from Laconia, railbed wasn't all that great, but got into some of the side trails in Northfield, groomed nice and flat. Definately need ice scratchers if you are going out with a liquid cooled machine, but there is still some good riding out there.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #74
VitaBene

Default One more time!

You riders get out and ride/pack the trails down today, and we will groom for the weekend!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BraunBayGuy (03-20-2014), trfour (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #75
nhcatrider

Wish I could, mine is in with an electrical problem
Old 03-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #76
Chaselady

We rode today, out of Wolfeboro. Took the Cotton Valley trail to Seven Lakes trail to the Wakefield diner for a fantastic brunch. Only drove about 12 miles
As we are very slow. The riding was great, although a little bouncy on the rail trail.
We were the only ones out. Looking forward to trying new trails, maybe next week?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #77
ultrarider

Default Riding conditions (Chaselady)

To Chaselady,
How do you get onto the Cotton Valley Tracks in Wolfeboro from Moultonboro? Did you come across lake Winni to the Golf Course, then cross Wentworth? I live right along the tracks, so you went right by my house. I live between the Train Station, and the next road you cross heading towards Wakefield. Next time you head this way hit me up. Look for Two "No Trespassing" signs on two trees left of the tracks about 3/4mi after the train station heading toward Wakfield. That goes to my yard. I'm always looking for someone to ride with.
ultrarider
Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #78
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
To Chaselady,
How do you get onto the Cotton Valley Tracks in Wolfeboro from Moultonboro? Did you come across lake Winni to the Golf Course, then cross Wentworth? I live right along the tracks, so you went right by my house. I live between the Train Station, and the next road you cross heading towards Wakefield. Next time you head this way hit me up. Look for Two "No Trespassing" signs on two trees left of the tracks about 3/4mi after the train station heading toward Wakfield. That goes to my yard. I'm always looking for someone to ride with.
ultrarider
We drove the trailer down to the parking lot near the " train station " in Wolfeboro and headed out on the rail trail from there. What town are you in?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #79
BraunBayGuy

Default Moultonboro trail conditions

Headed up tomorrow night. Was planning on lake riding only but after last nights storm I assume all the Moultonboro trails have reopened?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #80
ultrarider

Default Moultonboro Conditions (Chaselady)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
We drove the trailer down to the parking lot near the " train station " in Wolfeboro and headed out on the rail trail from there. What town are you in?
Oh so you unloaded your trailer Downtown at the Wolfeboro Train station? I live in Wolfeboro along the Tracks on the other side of RT 109. You cross Rt 109 at the little Red RR Station, then travel down the tracks another 3/4 mi. There are two trees on the left with "No Trespassing" signs, and a trail between them. That's my back yard. Hope to join you for a ride sometime if you come over this way again.
ultrarider
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #81
FLAG!

I've heard the Wolfeboro area got some sour. Can anyone confirm how much and if the trails might be open another week?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
FLAG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #82
sluggo

Yesterday I went riding all day, Moultonboro trails didn't look good so I took the lake to the tracks in Meredith and headed north. Went all the way through Franconia notch towards twin mountain before I turned around. The trails up north were great the groomers were out all over up there. Once I got past Plymouth coming home there was no grooming anywhere that I found so I took the lake back to Center Harbor. 137 MILES.....round trip... have fun if you go out !
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggo For This Useful Post:
NHWakesurfer (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #83
VitaBene

Default Grooming

We started grooming last night. I will be doing the corridor trail tonight along with Red Hill. We did get decent snow- but please note that it was in the low 40s yesterday and will be again today, so melt will occur.

Access from the lake at Ambrose Cove is still closed due to poor snow cover. This is the property where riders decided to use the driveway and plantings as an alternate trail. It will easily cost the club $2K to repair the damage, and a lot more goodwill to repair the relationship.

We will undertake a major project this summer to improve access on both sides of Ambrose Cove by building wooden ramps with rubber mats (or similar).
Lakegeezer (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #84
4Fun

Default lake riding

Think there is there any riding on the lake for Saturday?

Was thinking of coming up with my son to get in a leisurly ride with him.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #85
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hope the snow lasted better on the north side of the lake.

At my house in Alton Bay, we had at least 6 inches, and perhaps nearing 9 or 10 inches. However, from the time I got up at about 730 to when I went out to clean it up about 1100, a combination of compressing and melting brought it down to about two inches of almost slush.

As much as I want to play golf and get the boat in, and I was truly hoping the snow would prolong the season by a week, I can see the trail going through my property behind the house getting thin to non-existent.

I'm afraid this banner year for snowmobiling is rapidly coming to an end around here.

And Vita Bene...I feel your pain. We have a landowner who shut off his property making the trip from Alton to Mt Major much more difficult. MMSC worked really hard working with some land owners and the town to get around this closed area. I don't snowmobile, but gladly opened my land for a small part of this trail. On the road section of this trail, they have a sign posted at each end asking that snowmobilers ride on the far side of the road from where the trail enters the road. Several did not heed the signs, and even went on private property. A land owner has complained to the Town about the sleds going across the front of her property on the road rather than on the other side of the road, and the town is now raising questions as to how long the club intends to use the short section of the road. A few idiots may very well end up costing the good snowmobilers access from Alton over the D trail to Mt. Major. Very frustrating. And there is a PO'd landowner. Good luck VB. As far as I know, there is no damage to our landowner's property, only in the goodwill.
VitaBene (03-22-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #86
NHWakesurfer

Default today's ride update

4Fun, I just got back from a quick 60 mile ride today. Moultonboro Neck trials are still holding up well but its going fast. The lake was fantastic no slush anywhere about two to three inches of snow just enough to cool the sleds and flat as can be. I found the north side of the lake to be better you can really see the snow line gets a lot less further south you go. South of Long Island not as much snow. North of LI was great. Enjoy it while its still here.

Vita- Thanks for opening the trials for one last ride and for the great season of groomed trails. I thought I was done a week ago but was happy to get one more in. Who knows cold temps and more snow next week could keep things rolling
The Following User Says Thank You to NHWakesurfer For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #87
VitaBene

Default Update 3-22 0930

Update 0930, Sat
Skelley's/ Balmoral/Castle lot groomed last night
Red Hill groomed this AM
Corridor 15 groomed this AM

Please note the lake access at Ambrose Cove is closed due to a lack of snow. Because riders could not make it up, they started using other routes resulting in damage that will likely cost $2K to fix.

We are going to undertake a project to improve access on both sides of the lake at Corridor 15. Likely some type of removable structure (wood or aluminum perhaps) with rubber mats.
trfour (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #88
BraunBayGuy

Default Moultonboro trail conditions

Left Braun bay ay 11:00 this morning went through Kona, down the neck, past Village Kitchen over Red Hill, across Squam Lake and to the farm house on Sandwich Notch Road. Turned around and came back. Just over 50 miles. Kona and neck trails were very good. Red Hill was awesome. Best all year. Thanks Vita Beane for great job grooming. Squam Lake was great. Seemed to have way more snow on it than Winni. Trail from Squam to the notch was rough. Not groomed. Plenty of snow. Notch must have 3 feet or more on the ground. Notch trail was very good. Big thanks to Moultonboro Snowmobile club. Great job this year. I just got back into snowmobiling after being out of it for a few years. I noticed big improvements in the Moultonboro trail system. Will voulenteer for work party next year. Saw 16 deer today. 8 on Braun Bay at 7:00am this morning. 4 on Red Hill. I believe they are the same four I have seen for the past month. Same place hiding behind same tree, and 4 in Kona late this afternoon. They were walking on the trail.
trfour (03-22-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #89
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraunBayGuy View Post
Left Braun bay ay 11:00 this morning went through Kona, down the neck, past Village Kitchen over Red Hill, across Squam Lake and to the farm house on Sandwich Notch Road. Turned around and came back. Just over 50 miles. Kona and neck trails were very good. Red Hill was awesome. Best all year. Thanks Vita Beane for great job grooming. Squam Lake was great. Seemed to have way more snow on it than Winni. Trail from Squam to the notch was rough. Not groomed. Plenty of snow. Notch must have 3 feet or more on the ground. Notch trail was very good. Big thanks to Moultonboro Snowmobile club. Great job this year. I just got back into snowmobiling after being out of it for a few years. I noticed big improvements in the Moultonboro trail system. Will voulenteer for work party next year. Saw 16 deer today. 8 on Braun Bay at 7:00am this morning. 4 on Red Hill. I believe they are the same four I have seen for the past month. Same place hiding behind same tree, and 4 in Kona late this afternoon. They were walking on the trail.
Thank you so much. I am glad you enjoyed it. I love grooming and then seeing sleds out on the trails and parked at local businesses
trfour (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #90
VitaBene

And I saw a lot of healthy looking deer running the trails!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #91
chipj29

Quote:
Update 0930, Sat
Skelley's/ Balmoral/Castle lot groomed last night
Red Hill groomed this AM
Corridor 15 groomed this AM

Please note the lake access at Ambrose Cove is closed due to a lack of snow. Because riders could not make it up, they started using other routes resulting in damage that will likely cost $2K to fix.

We are going to undertake a project to improve access on both sides of the lake at Corridor 15. Likely some type of removable structure (wood or aluminum perhaps) with rubber mats.
As a club president, this happens all too often. Some sledders think that the signs/rules don't apply to them. Every year, we have a couple of landowners who are upset (rightfully so) at something an irresponsible sledder does. If people knew what clubs have to do when something happens, maybe they wouldn't be so irresponsible.
This year, I have made a list (fortunately it is short) of things the club has to do, or will have to do, to fix the problem. The list will be sent to club members (no names, addresses, etc) so they are all aware of the repercussions from their actions
VitaBene (03-24-2014), WINNOCTURN (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #92
Pineedles

Gee, you could do what he anti-gunners want done. Micro-stamp the tracks and register the numbers.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #93
nhcatrider

We had a problem here too, couple of people playing in a field that was posted. We hung up a couple of game cameras and caught them. Maybe this will work here too?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #94
Lakegeezer

Default Lake access?

Other than Ambrose cove, how is the ice at the lake access points? Even the rocks I've seen, seem to be still solidly iced in.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #95
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcatrider View Post
We had a problem here too, couple of people playing in a field that was posted. We hung up a couple of game cameras and caught them. Maybe this will work here too?
It is my preferred option at this point. We will also try harder to make the trails more accessible.

Over the next few weeks we will be looking for some help putting trails to bed for the year... I'm ready for ice out!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #96
Lakegeezer

Default Conditions - WOW

Is it really late March? I took a ride today (Tuesday 3/25) via smith cove, braun bay, kona loop and back via smith and around the islands. Conditions could not be better unless there was several inches of fresh powder. No open water seen - none! The lake/land paths are frozen solid. The water bars on the trail are non-existent. The swamps are solid. When crossing the bridges, there is a small flow of water, but mostly, things are still locked up tight. The lake has a nice 6" frozen snow layer on plenty of ice. No slush, no pressure ridges, just flat smooth riding. Who ever groomed the trails is an artist! Really nice. It won't last of course, with the warm temperatures and rain coming - but I can't remember better conditions for this time of year.
VitaBene (03-25-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #97
ultrarider

Default Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Is it really late March? I took a ride today (Tuesday 3/25) via smith cove, braun bay, kona loop and back via smith and around the islands. Conditions could not be better unless there was several inches of fresh powder. No open water seen - none! The lake/land paths are frozen solid. The water bars on the trail are non-existent. The swamps are solid. When crossing the bridges, there is a small flow of water, but mostly, things are still locked up tight. The lake has a nice 6" frozen snow layer on plenty of ice. No slush, no pressure ridges, just flat smooth riding. Who ever groomed the trails is an artist! Really nice. It won't last of course, with the warm temperatures and rain coming - but I can't remember better conditions for this time of year.
Hey lakegeezer--- do you ride a Fan Type Sled? I have a 700 liquid, and I tried to go out yesterday, but got about 10mins down the hard packed RR Tracks (Corridor 26 in Wolfeboro) and my High Temp light came on. Just wondering if you have a fan, and/or if anybody with a liquid sled has been out in these conditions, and if their high temp light came on.
ultrarider
Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #98
Cobalt

I had similar problems with overheating on my 800 liquid a few weeks ago.

The sled was parked in the garage and all the ice on the heat exchanger melted. The Lake surface was hard and granular and did not provide enough cooling to prevent the sled from overheating. Probably, just like the tracks you were riding. I needed to stop a number of times to allow it to cool. A couple of guys in fan cooled sleds stopped to ask if I needed help. They had no problems since the temps were low enough, and there was enough snow for the slides.

Cobalt
Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #99
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
Hey lakegeezer--- do you ride a Fan Type Sled? I have a 700 liquid, and I tried to go out yesterday, but got about 10mins down the hard packed RR Tracks (Corridor 26 in Wolfeboro) and my High Temp light came on. Just wondering if you have a fan, and/or if anybody with a liquid sled has been out in these conditions, and if their high temp light came on.
ultrarider
My sled is water cooled. While I was concerned, there was no overheating problem on the lake or trail. There was enough loose stuff, especially since I have pics that tear it up a bit.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #100
nhcatrider

Ice scratchers. Makes all the difference on hard pack trails, churns up enough if you are not studded (like me, studs would be 1 5/8 with my track) to keep the motor cool and stop the sliders from melting. Still doesn't help much on ice though.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhcatrider For This Useful Post:
BraunBayGuy (03-27-2014)