Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default New Refrigerator

I am in the market for a new refrigerator. For some reason my water is fine, but my ice tastes terrible. I have cleaned out everything that could cause an odor. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a new refrigerator?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
gslpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I am in the market for a new refrigerator. For some reason my water is fine, but my ice tastes terrible. I have cleaned out everything that could cause an odor. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a new refrigerator?
If this is an ice maker fridge, I had the same problem. I took the bucket the ice falls into, and washed it in the dish washer. never had problem after that. I thought it was a filter, or food in the fridge. Never thought of the actual plastic storage bucket. Maybe a shot?

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #3
dpg

At the risk of sounding like FLL here if it's just your ice and the Fridge is running fine why not buy some ice trays for 3.99 and make it yourself?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I had two Electrolux-both didn't get cold enough-stayed the mid 40s. Got and LG ad that ran for a couple of hours and stopped, (loved the inside design of that though that's why we bought it) and then got a Bosch and love it. It's been two years now and still running great. Be very careful, they seem to have problems lately!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
fpartri497

Quote:

change the water filter If It has one

Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
At the risk of sounding like FLL here if it's just your ice and the Fridge is running fine why not buy some ice trays for 3.99 and make it yourself?
I'm surprised that you beat him to it.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
SAB1

My ice maker stopped working once. I got the manual out and found out you are periodically supposed the clean behind the panel on the back of the fridge. If you saw what was in that line you may not ever use ice maker again.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Chickie

Default Re: New Freezers

I am in a similar situation in my quest for a new freezer. My old one was purchased in 1953 and placed in an unheated shed attached to the house, where temps can reach near zero in winter. It ran continually from the time it was purchased in 1953 until last summer, a total of 60 years. It finally reached its end last year and I would like to replace it with a smaller chest freezer. However, I have learned that present day freezers are not designed to operate in unheated spaces, where temps go below 32 degrees in winter and over 100 in summer. Many people used to put their freezers in unheated garages or porches and they were just fine. I don't have room in the main house and the basement is not an option either. Has anyone encountered this problem or know if there are any makes or models which can be placed in unheated areas? With the many camps around the Lakes Region, surely someone must have encountered this problem. Sorry if I have hijacked this thread.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
If the water at kitchen sink is fine, all filters are clean/new, and collection tray is clean and odor free - don't see the problem. Unless item in freezer give off some odor.

They do sell an external in line filter for all refrigerators.

Many of the newer refrigerators are made in China and Mexico. Good luck with those. Who knows what kind of plastics and inner tubing those refrigerators have.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
ITD

Ice will pick up odors from food stored in the refrigerator section if you don't store in sealed containers. Make sure this isn't the problem before you spend money or you will be disappointed when the same thing happens in the new one. Airtight containers and an open box of baking soda every few months should help if that's the problem.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
If the water at kitchen sink is fine, all filters are clean/new, and collection tray is clean and odor free - don't see the problem. Unless item in freezer give off some odor.

They do sell an external in line filter for all refrigerators.

Many of the newer refrigerators are made in China and Mexico. Good luck with those. Who knows what kind of plastics and inner tubing those refrigerators have.
The newer refrigerators seem to rust a lot quicker than the old ones, too. I never ever had a rusty refrigerator and now they all rust.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
HomeWood

The same thing happens with my fridge. The ice and water from the dispenser tastes bad (sometimes) but the water from the faucet seems ok. Just figured I'd deal with it until it comes time for a new fridge and I hate the chore of filling ice trays!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Ice will pick up odors from food stored in the refrigerator section if you don't store in sealed containers. Make sure this isn't the problem before you spend money or you will be disappointed when the same thing happens in the new one. Airtight containers and an open box of baking soda every few months should help if that's the problem.
I think ITD hit the nail on the head!! I will also add that if you have a refrigerator where the freezer is below your refrigerator, this type seems to pick up food odors even worse.

We had this exact same problem until we started faithfully using airtight containers and zip lock bags exclusively. No aluminum foil or Saran wrap covers on anything.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

Thank you all so very much for your ideas that may rectify my refrigerator odor. I will try all your recommendations. As an FYI my refrigerator is around 10 years old. It is a side by side Kenmore with the ice bin on the door. The ice bin on the door has presented with one problem after another.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Ricajote

Default New Fridg

This months Consumers Reports, available on newsstands and local libraries, tests a variety of models you might review. I NEVER buy w/out reviewing their ratings and I've never gone wrong.
Ricajote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
Rusty

Ice cubes should not sit in the tray for more then two weeks. If they do then they will smell and have a funny taste to them. In the summer time I use up enough ice to keep them fresh. In the winter I monitor how long they have been in the tray.
If you have a full tray of ice most of the time then you aren't using them fast enough.

A new refrigerator will give you the same problem. In-fact the first two months the ice will taste like plastic tubing.

Toss them or use them, that is the only solution.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #17
Greene's Basin Girl

I have been dumping the ice out of the ice bin every day. Last night I washed the ice bin in my dishwasher and I sanitized the entire refrigerator. I will see how the ice tastes in about 6 hours.