Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Tackleman

Default Metrocast Put It To Me!

I head up to Winni for the weekend tonight. Snowblow the driveway and my wife says cable is not working. She states only channels 2 to 27 are working. I call up metrocast and they say there was a glitch in the system and you were getting extra channels for free before. So I say I was paying 70 dollars for your slowest internet and cable for 69 dollars a month with 27 poor channels. She says yes. To get the same channels as before I have to pay 140 a month and pay 55 dollars to have a guy turn a switch at the pole. She says yes. So as she is talking I say isn't it cheaper for you VIP deal. Oh yes it is and you get locked in on price and faster internet but someone has to be home to change out the modem. I said I'm not sure when I will be back. What a ripoff.
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
pcmc

Cable companies and happy customers seem to go hand and hand. (sigh)
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
bclaker

We have basic and the next level and have been losing a few each week, since they are cutting over to digital, a few at a time. As they delete them on the old channel and they put the digital version on another channel. Every time they make a change, you have to autoprogram again. A pain in the neck. One of the more recent changes was the Weather Channel went from Channel 48 to Channel 35-48. There are a number of channels on the 35- series. The worst part is that you have to hunt for the program you want. The listings haven't changed.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Default ... tennis anyone?

.... u-know ... for someone who likes to watch tennis ... the www.tennischannel.com is not available at any price on Metrocast!!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yesterday at work (Wolfeboro) we were told that our cable rate will be going up 7% each year now......So we told them we were going to search for different alternatives such as DirecTv or Dish. They told us to call back to let them know the price we are quoted.......Ummmmmm, NOT!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Yesterday at work (Wolfeboro) we were told that our cable rate will be going up 7% each year now......So we told them we were going to search for different alternatives such as DirecTv or Dish. They told us to call back to let them know the price we are quoted.......Ummmmmm, NOT!
Yeap, I was told that too. I called back and gave them a quote from DirectTV and Metrocast says its like comparing apple to orange because of the channel line up. I told Metrocast I am getting more channels for less money and they basically said 'Good for you' and that was that. So I wouldn't bother calling them back.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
birchhaven

I would need to be a poet to properly put into word my deep deep hatred for Metrocast.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post:
pondguy (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
TheProfessor

There are no easy solutions.

I have Direct TV. 2 year initial contract.
I own my own equipment including dish and receivers. The downside of owning equipment is that owner has to pay for any repairs. But Direct TV does offer insurance which I hv My contract was up years ago.
Two houses/homes.
I have receivers at both homes.
All I do is telephone Direct TV and turn one off and turn the other on.
One contract/bill.
The receiver is "dumb" and does not know where it is.
Some have one or more receivers and carry them from home to home. Never switching or turning off any receiver.
You do need the correct dish at each home. I paid private contractor to install my roof top dish. Avoiding any new contract. They do initiate a new contract if they install any new dish. I avoided all of that by getting/buying my own dish at each place.

If you do plan on purchasing any new TV - avoid the cheaper ones and get a "smart" TV. Lots of ways to view TV if you have an internet connection.
There are also set top boxes - Roku and Google TV. Through which one can watch movies and such for free or subscribe to Netflix or HuluPlus. Amazon Prime has free and low cost viewing options.

Antenna technology has come a long way - so you could potentially watch some "local" channels for free depending on location.

But the bottom line is that some money does have to be expended either on equipment, service, or subscriptions.

There is no easy answer.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
GTO

Default Argh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleman View Post
I head up to Winni for the weekend tonight. Snowblow the driveway and my wife says cable is not working. She states only channels 2 to 27 are working. I call up metrocast and they say there was a glitch in the system and you were getting extra channels for free before. So I say I was paying 70 dollars for your slowest internet and cable for 69 dollars a month with 27 poor channels. She says yes. To get the same channels as before I have to pay 140 a month and pay 55 dollars to have a guy turn a switch at the pole. She says yes. So as she is talking I say isn't it cheaper for you VIP deal. Oh yes it is and you get locked in on price and faster internet but someone has to be home to change out the modem. I said I'm not sure when I will be back. What a ripoff.
Feeling your pain. We have been paying for basic cable but have had just about every channel available, including NESN. All good things must come to an end I guess
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Buy Your Own Modem

Quote:
Why even use their modem? You get charged a monthly fee to rent their modem. If you buy your own modem, it will pay for itself in less than a year. You can buy them at Staples, Best Buy, and probably Sams or BJs. Installation is simple. Hook up the cable to the modem. Connect the modem to your router with the cable that comes with the router, call the cable company and give them the modem's MAC address, and you're done. My Motorola modem cost $60 and replaced the modem I was renting from the cable company for $7.50 per month.
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We had a dish but our neighbor's trees starting blocking it so we had to give it up. They gave us a really hard time over the equipment. We had gone off one of those huge dishes to that. I finally had to call the big dish company and they straightened it out for us.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Default QAM tuner lineup

A few years ago, Metrocast had the QAM tuner line up sheet on their website. I have not seen it in a while. I call Metrocast and they insist I need the box. Now, whenever the channel lineup PDF date changed online, I would do a complete channel search on the TV and one by one map the channels to a spread sheet. Its a pain but I just can't see paying them an extra dime because the feds screwed up my antenna reception several years ago.

The last time they change the line up I lost a number of HD channels even though it was advertised on the website, the HD channels are available with the basic package. Again they say I need a box. I complain the website said the channels are available with the basic package and the website did not say you need the box so it is FALSE ADVERTISING. They gave me an 800 number to call. Call the number and I was put on hold for over an hour. A game Metrocast play?

I sent an email to the FCC about all the problems I have, and so far the only response was a nice email saying 'Thank you for your comments, we value your input seriously, we will look into your claims'.

I'm wondering is this game extends to the FCC.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Go Dish

I switched to Dish Network many years ago and never looked back! Very happy with their service, channel line up and pricing. You get free Sirius / XM on dish and we love it for that alone!

Dan
Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default From WMUR...

Here's some great news for you Dish and DirecTV customers...and it was announced just in time for Christmas.

http://www.wmur.com/news/money/Dish-...z/-/index.html
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
RLW

Unhappy

My Metrocast bill went up $7.26 on this monthly bill. I haven't dug into yet to see what actually has happened with it.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Here's some great news for you Dish and DirecTV customers...and it was announced just in time for Christmas.

http://www.wmur.com/news/money/Dish-...z/-/index.html
I noticed all my rebates for my DirectTv had expired and my bill went up a little bit. I called customer service and asked what could be done to lower my bill. The guy was great. He thanked me for being a premium package customer and offered $20. off for 6 months or $15 for 12. He told me I was due for a free upgrade in 6 months and suggested taking the 6 month rebate and asking for a better price when you call back in 6 months. He also suspended a couple of bedroom boxes we don't use until summer, said we could turn them back on in April, saving me another $12. monthly. In the end, with my two "$10. off each month" referrals, my monthly bill dropped from $169. to locked at $149. for their top package and 6 boxes, including 2 DVR's.
One thing I've learned with Direct TV is the squeaky wheel gets the oil. It may take a supervisor, but they always give in a little.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
Sgilbert74

Mine did the same. I went to bestbuy the other day. The sales person told me about a device called a "sling box" all you need is wifi ($40 ish??) at the lakehouse and a smart tv (paid $500). He told me the sling box hooks up at home and we can watch it at the lake house thru the wifi. We will basically be watching our cable from home while at the lakehouse. We shall see??!
Sgilbert74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
RLW

Smile

Sgilbert74, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for your input and keep us up to date with your happenings if you decide to do it.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
Tackleman

Default Sling

Please post how sling works.
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Gray Ghost

Default How stuff works

Quote:
Please post how sling works.
Bob, this link will help

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/slingbox.htm
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
Island Girl

Default Need more than slingbox

You will also need a device that will connect to your slingbox from your tv such as Roku or WD live. A smart TV is not enough.

They work really well. Not perfect, but the price is right.

http://www.slingbox.com/go/spcd

I have used slingboxes for years and can highly recommend them. You do no need the most expensive one.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
lobstadanca

Default TV Guide

We can no longer find the TV Guide channel on Metrocast. Does anyone know where it went? I also looked for the TV Guide on Metrocast's website and all I could find was a list of the channels, not a list of the shows to watch :-(
lobstadanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
jasonr_nh

Default Guide

Try Channel 8
jasonr_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonr_nh For This Useful Post:
lobstadanca (01-04-2014)
Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
BroadHopper

Default Got a Smartphone

Download the 'TV listings' app
lobstadanca (01-04-2014)
Old 12-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #25
bclaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstadancer View Post
We can no longer find the TV Guide channel on Metrocast. Does anyone know where it went? I also looked for the TV Guide on Metrocast's website and all I could find was a list of the channels, not a list of the shows to watch :-(

They moved it to channel 8, but I don't now how accurate it is. They are in the process of going all digital and are moving stations around.
The Following User Says Thank You to bclaker For This Useful Post:
lobstadanca (01-04-2014)
Old 12-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstadancer View Post

Try this location as I use it quite often.

http://portal.metrocast.net/tv/index.php?page=grid
lobstadanca (01-04-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #27
Sgilbert74

Default Sling box

You were correct!! Lol! I came back up last night, and could not watch on the tv with out other device. I didn't see your post till just now. I'm heading out to get a roku this morning. Thanks for the tip!!
Sgilbert74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
Charlie T

Default You will love the Roku

I'm so happy with Roku that I'm about to ditch cable at home, I've done that at the lake and never looked back.

I gave Roku's as Christmas gifts to several people as well.

Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #29
bclaker

Default Chromecast Device by Google

Yesterday UPS delivered the Chromecast that I had ordered on Christmas day. After supper I opened the box and read the "Easy" instructions for getting started. Then I turned off the TV and plugged the Chromecast into the HMDI receptacle on the TV. After that I plugged the cable into the back of the Chromecast and then power supply and plugged the power supply into the power outlet. Then I hit the power button on the TV remote. The TV wouldn't come on. I removed the Comcast device from the TV and tried again and the TV wouldn't come on. I replaced the batteries on the remote and still no TV. Panic set in. I called Amazon and the guy there connected us with Google, with no help, then Samsung the TV maker. I tried a number, of things for her and she determined that the TV power supply was blown and they could fix it if I sent it to one, of their repair areas. The up front charge was $150, and no guarantee there would be no additional charges. I declined, at least for now. Later I got some e-mail from Amazon saying they were refunding my $35 for the Chromecast. Later, as I was looking at the connections, I noticed that there had been a small piece of scotch tape over the location on the back of the Chromecast where the power cord plugged in. upon close examination, there was a lot,of fuzz in the male part of the power cord that plugged in there. There was no mention of removing the tape, before plugging in the power cord on the "EASY" instructions and apparently I just punched a hole in the tape and pushed a piece in and the heat melted it. I can't think of anything else that could have caused the problem. I'll try calling Google again later, but I'll bet I'm out $330 for a new TV
Old 12-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
chaseisland

Default Pain

I feel your pain, but can't weep with you. Being on the wrong side of the island causes no Direct TV, there is no cable anywhere close, so it's the old free TV. Three channels (6, 8 and 13) and all from Maine. I listen to Main weather then mentally subtract three hours to arrive at the time that weather should hit CI.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #31
bigdog

Default Cable companies

Cut the cord to Metrocast today. They were going up in cost in Jan. 2014, programming and sevice was mediorce at best..

We have had Apple TV for a year now and stream Netflix, YouTube and many other options.
Just added Aereo TV today and couldn't be happier! With Aereo we get all major network stations in clear HD and have capabilty to record up to 20 hours per month. And all for $8.per month! .All you need is internet service. You'll need Apple TV or Ruku devce if you want to stream on your TV. Otherwise you can stream services on your computer screen.

Goodbye cable forever.....
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #32
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Cut the cord to Metrocast today. They were going up in cost in Jan. 2014, programming and sevice was mediorce at best..

We have had Apple TV for a year now and stream Netflix, YouTube and many other options.
Just added Aereo TV today and couldn't be happier! With Aereo we get all major network stations in clear HD and have capabilty to record up to 20 hours per month. And all for $8.per month! .All you need is internet service. You'll need Apple TV or Ruku devce if you want to stream on your TV. Otherwise you can stream services on your computer screen.

Goodbye cable forever.....
So do you still use a cable company for your internet? Do you get local stations like Ch. 9 and the Maine channels? Boston?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #33
SIKSUKR

Ya, wondering what "all the major stations" line up consists of.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #34
wifi

Default Take a look at their website

https://aereo.com/channels
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #35
BroadHopper

Default Maine Stations and other movie channels

Once Aereo have the Portland market on board, I will definitely switch.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #36
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Once Aereo have the Portland market on board, I will definitely switch.
Just remember, to keep the FCC happy, they match your credit card billing address to the market you are subscribing to. For instance, if your billing address is Laconia, you can't get Portland, or if your billing address is Moultonboro, you can't get Boston, etc. Its all on their web site.
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #37
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgilbert74 View Post
Mine did the same. I went to bestbuy the other day. The sales person told me about a device called a "sling box" all you need is wifi ($40 ish??) at the lakehouse and a smart tv (paid $500). He told me the sling box hooks up at home and we can watch it at the lake house thru the wifi. We will basically be watching our cable from home while at the lakehouse. We shall see??!
Just be aware that slingbox only works on the TV it is hooked up to, not all the TV's in your house
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #38
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs down New charges from Metrocast

We have Metrocast cable at our leased cottage and always suspend service from Nov. 1 to May 1. Well, Metrocast has decided to stick it to us too. A bill arrived to cover Jan. 2014, and it seems there will now be a monthly "Parking fee" which is a little over $6 until we reactivate in May. I just hope they don't start charging a reactivation fee as well! I know the phone company charges a similar fee, but that ensures you keep the same # and also, I know that the line is still capable of reaching E911. I guess with all the people abandoning cable TV they have to make it up with added fees to those who stay. They must be taking lessons from the banking industry.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-30-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #39
winnasake

Default Well!! Put

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
i would need to be a poet to properly put into word my deep deep hatred for metrocast.
couldn't agree more!!!!
winnasake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
Steveo

Default I look at it a different way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
We have Metrocast cable at our leased cottage and always suspend service from Nov. 1 to May 1. Well, Metrocast has decided to stick it to us too. A bill arrived to cover Jan. 2014, and it seems there will now be a monthly "Parking fee" which is a little over $6 until we reactivate in May. I just hope they don't start charging a reactivation fee as well! I know the phone company charges a similar fee, but that ensures you keep the same # and also, I know that the line is still capable of reaching E911. I guess with all the people abandoning cable TV they have to make it up with added fees to those who stay. They must be taking lessons from the banking industry.
I look at it a different way...

I do a very similar thing in suspending my Metrocast service for 6 months. I pay a nominal fee to hold my phone number which I think is reasonable. I think it is pretty darn good that they don't charge me the full amount for those 6 months as other cable companies do. Since we are a "trapped" customer since we need internet and can't get it from another provider Metrocast could easily stick it to us and simply make us pay the extra 6 months.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #41
Lakeboater

Last winter Metro cast only charged us $1.25 a month to suspend service over the winter. I haven't suspended service this winter but jumping to over $6 a month seems excess I e to me.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #42
wifi

Default Just curious

Is there a set top cable TV box or modem stranded in your house during the down time, or do you have to drop them off?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #43
BroadHopper

Default Rental fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Is there a set top cable TV box or modem stranded in your house during the down time, or do you have to drop them off?
There is a rental fee so I would imagine returning the cable box would be economical.

I remember 'purchasing' a cable box on EBay and Metrocast absolutely refuse to allow me to use it. So I never had one.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #44
ghfromaltonbay

Default No set top box

Quote:
We don't have a set top box since we just have basic cable. The cable connects directly to the back of the TV. Also, we don't have internet from Metrocast as that is provided via wifi from our landlord. He lives there year-round and does have Metrocast internet and cable TV, but we all get our phone service from TDS (formerly Union Telephone).
Old 12-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #45
upthesaukee

Default Here is their internet page on this subject...

Here is the page:

http://www.metrocastcablevision.com/..._customers.cfm

Let each of us decide whether it is reasonable or not.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #46
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Basic Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
We don't have a set top box since we just have basic cable. The cable connects directly to the back of the TV.
gh, How much do you pay for just basic cable with NO box?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #47
ghfromaltonbay

Default Basic cable from Metrocast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose tracks View Post
gh, How much do you pay for just basic cable with NO box?
Basic cable is $35.95 per month. We don't subscribe to any of the premium movie channels, but we get the usual broadcast channels from Boston (ABC, NBC, CBS) as well as WMUR from NH. We also get the NH and Boston public TV and CNN, Fox, MSNBC & CNBC. We get stations like NECN,NESN, A&E, QVC, History, etc. The only stations I wish they would add are Hallmark & also TCM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (12-31-2013)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #48
Rich

As others have reported, I have been using the Slingbox too, and watch my HD channels while at the lake, no cable fees. The downside is that you're watching your home cable box, so if someone else is home, you both watch the same channel, or fight over what to watch. LOL

I just started playing with a good VOIP box for cheaper telephone service. Check out Oooma (www.ooma.com), you get a phone number for about $3.75 per month in NH. You can port your current phone number if you want to keep it for an extra one time fee ($40). Of course they have a 'premium' service for $10 a month if you want to use it, but I'm opting out of it.

The Ooma needs an internet connection, and you can take it with you as you move from 'home' to the lake or anywhere else. It should work well as long as you have decent (not slow) internet connection (I think they say 375KB/s or faster, but check the Ooma website. You buy their box for about $150, and then pay just the Fcc taxes and 911 fees per month (about $3.75 for me). Voice quality is great and no need to have a computer turned on. Just connect it to your house phone wiring after disconnecting from the previous landline system (fairpoint, cable, etc.) and all your phones in the house will work with it.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #49
Crusty

Default VoIP

When we bought our cottage, the "phone company" charged about $40 / month, year-round and the quality was pretty poor. I tried a VoIP service available through my computer but wasn't too happy with the quality of the connections, especially on business calls.

When Vonage became available, I decided to try that. They provided the "box" that connects to your router and your phone(s). for under $20 / month I get 500 minutes of local and long distance, voice mail (printed out in an email), call forwarding, and a bunch of other stuff. When my Internet is down, calls automatically forward to my cell phone. I liked it so well, that I ditched the phone company at home and got the unlimited plan. A couple years ago, I got my mother switched over.

They have changed their interface box to make it even easier to set up. One of the problems with VoIP is that it relies on a steady stream of small packets, sent in real-time. Buffering is not an option. Dropped packets mean moments of silence. There are ways to give VoIP packets priority, but you need to configure your router. Vonage's new approach is that their box plugs into your cable modem and your router plugs into the Vonage box. Voice traffic automatically gets priority.

They also have a smart-phone app that allows you to make cell phone calls via a WiFi network. Such calls use no "minutes" and domestic and global long distance is free. You do consume some of your phone's data allowance, but not much.

Anyway, I have troubles with lots of things (cable, Internet, cell phones) but Vonage isn't one of them.

[I didn't mean to write so much, but I went on Medicare 2 days ago, and I now feel entitled to ramble on ]
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #50
Rich

I didn't want to take over this thread with VOIP discussion... but I'll add some more info now that I'm on a better keyboard.

Ooma is similar to Vonage, but has a much 'better' (cheaper) pricing structure.

Their hardware works the same (or maybe better if you ask other users that have switched), if you want the ultimate in phone service, place the Ooma box between your router and your cable modem, (so that the Ooma box is the the closest device to the internet) and then all your home PC's etc, after the Ooma box. Of course, this is not required, but if you want landline like phone service, it's the best thing to do.

Their pricing is quite interesting, you can choose their 'free' service and then have unlimited calling in the USA. By 'free' they mean that they will only charge you the local, state and federal fees and surcharges (such as 911 fee). In NH these fees seem to be about $3.75 per month.

If you want their advanced features, you can pay $9.95 per month (plus the other taxes and fees that we can't get away from). Their advanced features include things like custom 'black lists' to block people from calling you, as well as a community black list, which can block known telemarketers, etc. They can also forward your calls to your cell phone if your internet service is ever down, or even have a second or third (or more) phone numbers so the kids can have their own number if you want to keep your kids calls separate from yours. If you pay for the advanced features, they will port your current home phone number for free. There are also additional advanced voice mail features, etc. Check their website for the list of all the advanced features.

I thought that I could live without the advanced features, so for now I'm paying only the $3.75 per month for unlimited USA calling (they also have a addon for calling other countries if you call outside the USA a lot).

This is a far cry from the (approx) $50 a month I was paying for my FairPoint landline service (which was not unlimited USA).

It will take me only about 4 months for this box to pay for itself, even if I never use it.

One think I love, is that I have FairPoint FAST (fiber optic, similar to Verizon's FIOS), and having a home generator, and using a UPS battery on my computers, when the power goes out (even when it was out for almost 2 weeks), I always had internet access, while my neighbors with comcast cable long had lost their cable TV and phone service I had full internet access. So combine this Ooma along with the Internet TV devices (like the WD TV Live, etc.), I'm not left to reading books by candle light if the power is out for extended periods of time.

I did consider Vonage (and some others), and I'm sure they are also very good, but it's hard to beat the pricing models of the Ooma system. Check them out: www.ooma.com (Unfortunately I don't get any referal fee or kickback, I guess they do everything they can to keep their prices down.

I guess the long and short of these postings are to encourage others to get away from the hardware landline prices. These hardware 'internet phone' (VOIP) boxes work well (I hear good things about Vonage and Ooma), but stay away from the 'bargain' sounding 'magicJack' and other similar units.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
laketrout (01-10-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #51
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

The Ooma has been discussed many times on this forum. Do a search on "Ooma".

I have been using Ooma for over 5 years. It works perfectly and has saved us at least $4000 in monthly charges. I get charged absolutely nothing for the service. No taxes or fees. That is because I was one of the first users and at the time they promised it was completely free for life. That has now changed but they are still obligated to our original agreement.

Ooma has been desperately trying to get me to upgrade so I would be subject to the new agreement which includes monthly taxes and fees. They keep offering me deep discounts on their new equipment to get me to upgrade. I want to keep my tax and fee free service as long as possible so I'm not making any changes. Someday the old Ooma box will fail and I'll be forced into their newer agreement but until then I'm enjoying 100% free phone service.

Even with the small fees I would highly recommend Ooma. It works perfectly for me. As someone else mentioned, one of the best things about it is that you plug it into a wall jack and all the phones in the house work normally. The online voice mail is also very handy.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (01-05-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #52
Macer

I have had OOMA for a year and love it. Bring the box up there when we go, same phone number and works awesome. I have the premiere service and the options are fantastic. No more telemarketers when using the blacklist. Quality is as good or better than AT&T. Well worth the investment.
Macer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macer For This Useful Post:
laketrout (05-05-2014), Winnisquamguy (01-05-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #53
magicrobotmonkey

I have a local # through Google Voice setup to ring both my wife and my cell phones. We give it out as our home number. As long as we remember to tell each other when one of us is expecting a call, it generally works out pretty well and it's completely free.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #54
laketrout

I 2nd the Ooma phone service its great. I hook it up to my router. As for metrocast its a joke. High priced for and "SLIM PICKENS" when you go just basic. I found that with my new HDTV set I don't need the DTA converter I get all the basic channels plus HD channels I get WENH channel 11 but I get 5 channels without the Metrocast converter and only 1 with the converter. Go figure.. I have Comcast at a house in Southern NH - much, much better.. better pricing, selections etc..
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #55
BroadHopper

Default QAM tuner

I have the QAM tuner in my HDTV. I would occasionally check the Metrocast lineup on line and when there is a revision, on the day of the revision I will do a channel setup to pick up all existing channels. Normally the 'analog' numbers (1-77) are in their respective channels. It is the digital channels that you must match to the corresponding 'analog' channels.

For instance Channel 9 is analog, 9-1 is 9-HS, 9-5 is SD (digital). You will see 9-2 which is METV and so on. I keep a spreadsheet and change it whenever they revise it. Early on the website use to have the QAM lineup but not anymore, they want you to rent a box. I refuse.

Comcast recently won a court ruling to encrypt QAM channels, forcing customers like me to rent a box. I have experience this yet on Metrocast and I expect them to do so soon.

Cable companies been bleeding subscribers for years, and there are articles describing them as dinosaurs, they will soon be extinct. You would thing it would be good business practice to appeal to customers. Instead they are turning them off, one step at a time.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #56
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
I have the QAM tuner in my HDTV. I would occasionally check the Metrocast lineup on line and when there is a revision, on the day of the revision I will do a channel setup to pick up all existing channels. Normally the 'analog' numbers (1-77) are in their respective channels. It is the digital channels that you must match to the corresponding 'analog' channels.

For instance Channel 9 is analog, 9-1 is 9-HS, 9-5 is SD (digital). You will see 9-2 which is METV and so on. I keep a spreadsheet and change it whenever they revise it. Early on the website use to have the QAM lineup but not anymore, they want you to rent a box. I refuse.

Comcast recently won a court ruling to encrypt QAM channels, forcing customers like me to rent a box. I have experience this yet on Metrocast and I expect them to do so soon.

Cable companies been bleeding subscribers for years, and there are articles describing them as dinosaurs, they will soon be extinct. You would thing it would be good business practice to appeal to customers. Instead they are turning them off, one step at a time.

I use to get the local channels just by plugging in the Comcast line from the street to the back of my digital equipped TV. This changed a couple months ago and can no longer do it. They keep calling me to get me to sign back up - I refuse.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-11-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #57
First Mate

For anyone who uses their TV tuner, I found out today that Metrocast has posted a link for QAM channel listings on their website.

Go to metrocast.com, choose "TV Lineup" at the top, enter the zip code, then under "More Listings" select "Belmont Digital QAM". There's a link to a printable PDF as well. I can retire my scribbled cheat sheet!

At least I can find the Sox now...NESN is at 36.33.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #58
Rusty

Here it is: http://www.metrocast.com/channel_lineup.cfm Then click on Belmont-Digital QAM
BroadHopper (04-21-2014), upthesaukee (04-21-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #59
Happy Gourmand

Default I love Metrocast.....NOT!!

We have seasonal service scheduled to be reactivated on 5/15. I called today to get it turned back on early as we will be starting our weekends in Meredith this weekend.
A very sweet sounding young lady informed me that there would be an additional charge of $40 to start me service early.....I don't think so.
I will be looking into the Verizon box that uses my cell coverage for internet. anybody with any experience with this?
Add me to the list of people who think that Metrocast sucks!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #60
pcmc

TPG, I looked into a device the Verizon store displays on their counter. I was told by the lady behind the counter that the 'jetpac' (if I remember correctly) wasn't for watching TV with, because the data would be used up to quickly. If that's what your referring too.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #61
Crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
We have seasonal service scheduled to be reactivated on 5/15. I called today to get it turned back on early as we will be starting our weekends in Meredith this weekend.
A very sweet sounding young lady informed me that there would be an additional charge of $40 to start me service early.....
Are you sure that this is an "early reconnect fee"? From the general pricing I am familiar with it sounds like they are just charging for the additional 1/2 month service.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #62
Sunbeam lodge

Default Terrible policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
A very sweet sounding young lady informed me that there would be an additional charge of $40 to start me service early.....I don't think so.
I will be looking into the Verizon box that uses my cell coverage for internet. anybody with any experience with this?
Add me to the list of people who think that Metrocast sucks!
I have been a loyal customer for 24 years. I go on the seasonal plan for the winter. Once or twice a season I like to return to check out the house. This year I went home to check house and needed the computer for a few days.
Metrocast wanted $140 for the month even though I only needed it for the two days. I complained but I paid as, i had no alternative. Now I just want my service turned on for the summer. They insist I pay another $40 to turn system back on. I called and complained , they say it is policy. I said it may be policy but there has to be someone in that company that can use common sense or logic when it comes to providing customer service. I explained many customers go away for winter and they should allow at least one visit and hookup to accommodate loyal long term customers a few day's stay. They used to turn system on and off for a few days as they did it right from office. Now no consideration of even consider customer complaints because they have a monopoly. Is there another company I can switch to and stop, after 24 years, of paying them. What is the matter with businesses in this country that cannot understand they are willing to give up loyal customers without any consideration of their stupid policy's. Absolutely no logic.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #63
upthesaukee

Default Here's a suggestion...

I worked for a large office supply retail store, and I can't tell you the number of times we had our corporate office call and tell us to satisfy the customer, no matter what; all the result of a letter / email to the President.

Worst case scenario was someone trying to return an HP scanner, and they had no receipt. Usually this would not be a problem, but the scanner was not a model we carried, the UPC was not in our computer file, and the matching box they had was a box with a Walmart sticker on this. Even though we pointed this out to the customer, they were not satisfied and emailed the company. About 2-3 hours after our first dealings with the customer, we had a call from the President's office telling us to satisfy the customer. We simply picked a SKU that was for a model that was similar to the Walmart model. Called the customer, and they came down and reamed us out for making a big deal out of it.

Soooooooooooooooo, the squeaky wheel can get the grease. Contact the office of the President of Metrocast, tell them how unhappy you are, and see what happens.

Not taking sides here. Just in the Corporate world, sometimes this is all it takes. How hard is it to turn the service on effective May 1 rather than May 15 and start billing monthly???
Old 05-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #64
tis

I don't think it will work with the cable companies, up. They are so miserable, they don't care.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #65
BobbyA

Default No Bruins vs Canadians

WHAT a joke!!!!! Here it is Bruins semi-finals with expanded service and on May 1st.NO GAME!!!!!!! BACK TO A DISH.SCREW METROCAST!!!!!!!!!
BobbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #66
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I worked for a large office supply retail store, and I can't tell you the number of times we had our corporate office call and tell us to satisfy the customer, no matter what; all the result of a letter / email to the President.

Worst case scenario was someone trying to return an HP scanner, and they had no receipt. Usually this would not be a problem, but the scanner was not a model we carried, the UPC was not in our computer file, and the matching box they had was a box with a Walmart sticker on this. Even though we pointed this out to the customer, they were not satisfied and emailed the company. About 2-3 hours after our first dealings with the customer, we had a call from the President's office telling us to satisfy the customer. We simply picked a SKU that was for a model that was similar to the Walmart model. Called the customer, and they came down and reamed us out for making a big deal out of it.

Soooooooooooooooo, the squeaky wheel can get the grease. Contact the office of the President of Metrocast, tell them how unhappy you are, and see what happens.
I wish I knew how to send them the large amount of complaints from this website. you would think there are metrocast employees that read this forum
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #67
jeffk

Default Just a question

Don't most utilities (electric, phone, ...) charge a start/stop fee of some kind? Why would the cable people be any different?

And as to the $140 for a few days of service, they sell their service on a monthly basis. That's a reasonable business model for what they do. Dropping in for a couple days use is harder for them to track and I'm sure they don't want to get into figuring out who is using the system just for the weekend. In most areas, monthly service charges are a very reasonable model. People live there full time. In an area where a lot of people are here only occasionally they might like to pay per use but that is not the normal model.

Don't get me wrong, I think the cable company charges outrageous monthly prices but it's part of the entertainment industry and we always pay absurd prices for our entertainment. However, these policies, although they don't meet your specific needs, are not unreasonable.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #68
wickedtravelah

I noticed that Metrocast will charge you upfront for the remainder of the billing cycle and then possibly the next month when you are in a new billing month.

When you stop the service for the season, you will receive a credit the next month for the remainder of time not used.

I was 2 days into a new billing cycle and they charged my account $160 for the entire month. We turned the service off on the 3rd day and when the next months bill came in we had a credit of $145 or so.....
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #69
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Don't most utilities (electric, phone, ...) charge a start/stop fee of some kind? Why would the cable people be any different?

And as to the $140 for a few days of service, they sell their service on a monthly basis. That's a reasonable business model for what they do. Dropping in for a couple days use is harder for them to track and I'm sure they don't want to get into figuring out who is using the system just for the weekend. In most areas, monthly service charges are a very reasonable model. People live there full time. In an area where a lot of people are here only occasionally they might like to pay per use but that is not the normal model.

Don't get me wrong, I think the cable company charges outrageous monthly prices but it's part of the entertainment industry and we always pay absurd prices for our entertainment. However, these policies, although they don't meet your specific needs, are not unreasonable.
I will have to wait till 5/15 when the service os scheduled to be turned back on with NO ADDITIONAL FEE. There is a $40 FEE if I want to turn it on before that. This $40 is not a partial month usage fee, it is an additional fee.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #70
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
I have been a loyal customer for 24 years. I go on the seasonal plan for the winter. Once or twice a season I like to return to check out the house. This year I went home to check house and needed the computer for a few days.
Metrocast wanted $140 for the month even though I only needed it for the two days. I complained but I paid as, i had no alternative. Now I just want my service turned on for the summer. They insist I pay another $40 to turn system back on. I called and complained , they say it is policy. I said it may be policy but there has to be someone in that company that can use common sense or logic when it comes to providing customer service. I explained many customers go away for winter and they should allow at least one visit and hookup to accommodate loyal long term customers a few day's stay. They used to turn system on and off for a few days as they did it right from office. Now no consideration of even consider customer complaints because they have a monopoly. Is there another company I can switch to and stop, after 24 years, of paying them. What is the matter with businesses in this country that cannot understand they are willing to give up loyal customers without any consideration of their stupid policy's. Absolutely no logic.
They know you are mad, but they also know you won't switch.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #71
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
I wish I knew how to send them the large amount of complaints from this website. you would think there are metrocast employees that read this forum
Email is good, but make sure you put it in writing also:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...9&postcount=23
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #72
dt5150

metrocast policy is not set at the local level, it comes down from it's parent company, harron communications in pa.

the squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease.. usually. the customer svc rep you get on the phone most likely doesn't have any or much authority to waive fees etc. you may get better results by asking to speak with the their supervisor. or if need be, run it up the chain to the regional general manager.

they do indeed read the emails sent to the customer service address so by all means email them.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #73
Flylady

Default Not new....

I had the same issue last year. Lesson learned. I schedule my service to begin May 1st this year rather than the traditional 15th. Just in case I do arrive early. either way its going to cost but I would rather get the service than pay them an extra fee.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #74
windsail

Default cable

My experience here in Jersey has been if you complain enough they don't cut the bill but will give you free premium channels for 6 months. It might help to keep calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I don't think it will work with the cable companies, up. They are so miserable, they don't care.
windsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #75
beaner

Unhappy Metrocast cable - double digit increases ad infinitum

We've had Expanded Basic cable TV service with Metrocast for many years. (No phone, internet or converter box). This past January they hit us with an effective rate increase of 14.9%; the previous year it was 10.1%. After reviewing our bills for the past 12 months, I discovered that the cost of Expanded Basic cable TV is now greater than the cost of electricity for our household (by @ $130 this year)! Granted, we have oil heat/hot water and no kids living at home. Even so, this realization was eye-opening, to say the least. I called Metrocast and was told that they will only refund about 1/3 of the actual per diem cost for early cancellation, or we'd downgrade to basic cable today. Instead, I calendared a reminder to call them back on the last day of our billing period.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #76
BroadHopper

Default Metrocast again!

No internet! Seems like the cable was cut with a weed wacker! Instead of burying the cable between the house and the junction box they just lay it on the ground and let the grass and bark mulch hide it! A call was place to Metrocast yesterday and I am still waiting!

This is definitely a no brainer. You would think burying the cable would make sense.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #77
wifi

Quote:
No internet! Seems like the cable was cut with a weed wacker! Instead of burying the cable between the house and the junction box they just lay it on the ground and let the grass and bark mulch hide it! A call was place to Metrocast yesterday and I am still waiting!

This is definitely a no brainer. You would think burying the cable would make sense.
Lazy installer? Company policy? They do it to your neighbors too ? If all else fails, it might be easier to just put a small trench yourself and bury the sucker...

Sometimes its better to just take things into your own hands
Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 AM   #78
Greene's Basin Girl

What time of year did they lay in on the ground? If you have an issue when the ground is frozen then they lay it on the ground. When the soil thaws the cable is then buried.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #79
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default If you're in Alton or Gilmanton

Phone service in Alton is provided by TDS Telecom. They also provide DSL for a much lower rate than Metrocast.

http://uspromodeals.com/tds/new-hampshire/alton-nh/

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #80
BroadHopper

Default Still no cable

Three days since I made the call. The installer was suppose to be here Wednesday, then Thursday and now Friday. Are they afraid of the rain?

The cable was installed in the fall of 2008 when they upgraded the old cable wires. I notice the old cable wire is still in place next to the new one. You would think they would rip out the old cable and make money on the copper. That is what Fairpoint do.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #81
upthesaukee

Default Depends on where you live in the towns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Phone service in Alton is provided by TDS Telecom. They also provide DSL for a much lower rate than Metrocast.

http://uspromodeals.com/tds/new-hampshire/alton-nh/

I followed the link, put in my address, and the deal they offered me was "EarthLink dialup" .

In the past, our wires for utilities came in from the west of our house, before making it down to route 11, and then going east to Alton Center where the TDS (Union Tel) building is. Over 5 miles, and DSL was not so good that far from the switching station.

Now the wires run right down our street from the east, right at 3 miles from the switching station, but TDS evidently doesn't know that, even though it has been over two years.

Guess I'll keep Metrocast. If they ever get the Verizon service active on the new tower in Alton Bay, I will probably keep Metrocast for internet, Verizon for phone and go to DirecTv for the telly.

Sorry you are having problems still, Broadhopper.. Become the squeakiest wheel on a daily basis... if necessary, contact the Consumer Protection folks in Concord.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #82
BroadHopper

Default Fairpoint

I am not sure about the other phone companies, Fairpoint pretty much replace their 'transmission lines' with fiber optics. This year they are beginning to upgrade the DSL to fiber optics in the residential areas. They were working with commercial customers for a couple of years. I was told high speed broadband will be available in July for Laconia area customers. I can't wait to switch to Fairpoint.
I know DSL is available but I need high speed internet to stream TV broadcast and movies to my laptop and TV.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #83
BobbyA

Default About had it with Metrocast!!!!!!!!!!!

Think there was some kind of burp here with Metrocast, TV & internet went out last night for a few seconds. TV 1 won`t come back on. Called tech, left a message after being on hold forever. Finally got a call back. They have my account number, address, name,,,,,,,,, EVERYTHING!!!!! YET the call back guy wants the last 4 digits of my social security number,,,, and my date of birth before he can help me. Cant`t post my words online here as what i said to him.
DUMP METROCAST!!!!!!!!!!
BobbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #84
BroadHopper

Default Day Four

Metrocast finally showed up Saturday morning. He installed a new cable between the box in the corner and the house. He says someone will stop by later to bury the cable. He also mentioned he was surprise the underground cables were never replaced! They need to be upgraded!
I checked this morning and sometime over the weekend someone buried the cable and did not bother to pull the old one. It is still sticking up out of the ground! I pulled out the old cable which is held in place by the grass. I check the new cable and sure enough is buried just below the surface. I'm going to do it myself and bury the cable at least 6" in the ground so that the aerator won't hit it. I notice the old cable was chewed up by the aerator and thatcherizer. No wonder the TV was pixeling with low signal.

Can't wait for Fairpoint high speed. Metrocast is so incompetent!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #85
HellRaZoR004

BH, do you have underground utilities? I assumed you did since the topic of going from pole to house was never mentioned.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #86
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
BH, do you have underground utilities? I assumed you did since the topic of going from pole to house was never mentioned.
Yes the association utilities are underground. Back in 2008, Metrocast claims underground wires are the responsibility of the association even though PSNH, Fairpoint and Liberty Utilities maintain their distribution. Saturday they replace the cable without mentioning who is responsible. I'm waiting for my bill. I have also called billing to give me credit for 3 days without service. Customer Service says they normally don't credit but she will ask the supervisor and call me back. Still waiting!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #87
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Metrocast Company Motto

The Metrocast company motto should be, "We don't care; because we don't have to."
Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #88
NH_boater

Default or....

or, We did not care right up until we went out of business.......
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #89
Lakepilot

We've had Metrocast's triple play for over ten years. Last fall we had them remove the TV since we weren't using the cottage. Still needed Internet and phone for the alarm systems.

Went to put TV back on and they wanted social security numbers and my first born. I explained that we have had continuous service with them for over 10 years and have always paid. How much more do you need. That really frosted my you know what. Every time they check you credit, your score goes down.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #90
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
Every time they check you credit, your score goes down.
Not true.

And just because they ask for that info doesn't mean they are going to run a credit check.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #91
wifi

I think it all gets deeper than credit checks. I've had Coop service at my house for close to 40 years, was looking to start service at another location.
They wanted my SSN, DOB, bank account or credit card info as proof of who I am. They didn't ask this info when I opened up my account 40 years ago.

I signed up for Cable, back when it was Amrac, none of this data was needed. A few years ago, among my many calls to Time Warner because of cable box problems, they suddenly wanted all this data and wouldn't talk to me unless I gave it.

I think this is for data bases as to who is living or moving where, who is googling what, used by..... ummmm...to be continued..
Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #92
brk-lnt

Quote:
I think this is for data bases as to who is living or moving where, who is googling what, used by..... ummmm...to be continued..
Do you fold your tinfoil hat in the traditional 3-layer method, or using the new modifed 4-layer crossover approach?

Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #93
Rusty

Cable companies "will" do a credit check on you when you give them your SS number. Over the years cable companies have been losing a lot of revenue due to dead beat customers.

IMO I don't blame them for wanting everyone's SS number.

Some companies will accept an upfront fee instead of the SS number. This is a fee that will protect the company in case you fail to pay your bill.

They want creditworthy customers who can pay their bills. I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #94
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
do you fold your tinfoil hat in the traditional 3-layer method, or using the new modifed 4-layer crossover approach?

lol.......ftw
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #95
fpartri497

I just used Metro cast tech. support. they where very helfull

Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #96
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Over the years cable companies have been losing a lot of revenue due to dead beat customers.
Maybe if Metrocast weren't charging so much, they'd have fewer "dead beats".

In Wolfeboro, the monthly bill for Metrocast "Expanded Basic Service" has increased 25% in just the past 2 years. No matter how the economy is doing, the rate has gone up every year for decades. The result is that for each of the past 2 years, we paid over $100 more for Expanded Basic cable (no premium channels or converter box) than the annual cost of electricity for our household! As soon as we realized this, we downgraded to Basic service. Maybe when basic service costs more than electricity, we'll get rid of that, too.

I'd love to know who is negotiating those never-ending contracts with Metrocast on our behalf. If I signed up for just a year or 2 of cellular or internet, the rate would be locked in for that term.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #97
fatlazyless

Paying for 175-channels is expensive when I probably only look at 10-channels for 95% of the time. Would be great if tv were sold on an individual, one channel by one channel, order channels that you want order format as opposed to bundled groups of channels. For watching tv, bundling channels just gives me a lot of channels I never watch at extra cost.

Will probably happen the same time as when most all tv shows are done live before a viewer audience and in black & white.......no-time soon??? About the only b&w, live tv here in these parts is the Laconia City Councillors tv show.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #98
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Not true.

And just because they ask for that info doesn't mean they are going to run a credit check.
Here's a link to myfico.com.

My problem was that we had been a continuous customer for over ten years with no interruption in service or payment. I was just adding telephone back to the existing cable and internet.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #99
BroadHopper

Default This is a first for Metrocast

Metrocast called and ask if I was satisfied with the service. I ask if the cable is buried deep enough so that the aerator and weed wackers will not damage. He will send someone out to make sure it is buried at least 6 inches deep. Since field service are contractors they need to be checked. I also mention the low, no signal and pixeling. A Metrocast rep showed up within and hour and double check everything. Found out the cable I bought for the TV may be defective as it is the right cable. I'm glad Metrocast sent someone to make sure I am satisfied and check the quality of the repairs.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #100
Lakegeezer

Default Bandwidth is coming, slowly

Fairpoint is upgrading their DSL service in the area, but told me that it is a max of 15 megabits/second. Time Warner has up to 50. Fifteen meg may satisfy a small family, but if there are a lot of streamers, it could get congested. And, you still have to be less than a few miles from the remote fiber terminal. They tell me I could only get a max of 7 mbps where I live. I have 20 with TWC, so no thanks. TDS is starting to pull fiber to the home in some of its areas. Has anyone seen them offer it in the lakes region?