Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Machz

Default Small boat on the big lake.

So I have owned boats for years that vary in size but they have always been 21+. After several years without a boat we ordered a new glastron GTS185 that we could tow easily to spend days on multiple lakes. We had a camp on Squam for 15+ years and loved the lake but we were thinking about a slip on Winni this year. I spent a good amount of time on winni years ago in a 205 sundowner and never had any concerns about it being to small for the lake.

My question is will I hate a small boat on winni, is it as bad as everyone says it is now on the big lake. I remember being able to find plenty of places to hide on the lake and even several to pull a skier as long as you stayed away from paugus bay/weirs on the weekend. I am only 20 min from the lake so I think after work during the week will be fine but how bad has it gotten on the weekends ?

Thanks
Machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Little Bear

This should sum it up for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGD-tUsySPs
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Aguamenti (07-11-2014), Chaos (03-26-2014), Diver Vince (05-03-2014), dlucas10 (03-27-2014), Never Enough (03-24-2014), pjard (05-10-2014), Smith Point (04-07-2014), SteveA (05-09-2014), Still lazy E (04-30-2014), Tired of Waiting (04-01-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
8gv

The answer might reside in your availability. If you're primarily boating on weekends the wakes will limit your use of the boat. If you can choose your days then it can be fine.

My experience with our 18' Sea Ray bow rider has led me to believe that wind driven waves are seldom the problem. Wakes, large and multidirectional can make things uncomfortable and in some cases, unsafe.

Maintaining good situational awareness is important. Going places can sometimes mean zig zagging all over to keep your bow meeting the waves a the correct angle.

If the choice is small boating vs no boating...go boating!

p.s. You'll fit into places many cannot when docking for lunch!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

It depends where you want to boat on the lake. If you put your boat in at Lee's Mills in Moultonborough you will be fine. If you are heading out into the broads you will need a larger boat for a smooth safe ride. I have had all size boats on the lake throughout my entire life. I still will go out in the broads with my Seadoo, but it can be extremely rough. I prefer our 25 foot tritoon boat when traveling on the big part of the lake.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
robmac

It's funny how your age changes your perception on boat size on the big lake. In my late teens had several Glastron GT160's & 170's never worried a bit anywhere I went on the lake. About 1995 I had a 23footer and had an opportunity to buy an extremely clean GT 170 so I bought it. We arrived at the marina on a Tuesday morning and had a for sale sign on it before noon was not comfortable at all mostly due to the lack of freeboard. Amazing to me what time has changed. Now in a 28 would never go down in size. JMHO
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
MikeF-NH

As I've posted before, I have had my 16 foot lund on pretty much every part of the lake and have spent plenty of time on the Broads with it too (even on weekends in the summer). Heck even had it at Wolfboro for the fireworks last year and left the Bay with 1000 other boats in the dark out in to the Broads. Bottom line is know your boat and know the lake. Make sure if you are going somewhere that is exposed that you can get back (watch the weather).

The Broads doesn't define the whole lake but the Broads and the path into Weirs from there do define some of the most challenging conditions you will face. Northern and Eastern parts of the lake feel much more forgiving to me with a smaller boat but I never leave the dock without knowing exactly what the anticipated wind conditions will be. The advantage to a smaller boat is that you can more easily get into some of the smaller places on the lake and perhaps find a "hidden gem" where you can drop and anchor or even sit on an isolated beach that other boats aren't getting to.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-30-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
winlessinnh

Default It's fine

I agree. I have two boats, 16' whaler and 25'. Although 25' is much easier on the back, the 16' is fine as long as you don't go crazy in rough waters.
winlessinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Rich

A few years ago we rented an 18.5 bowrider and rode from Meridith to Wolfeborough. So we went right through the broads.

It was doable, but not comfortable. We were tossed around a lot, and the comfort level was directly related to your speed.

Two years ago we had a 27ft cruiser, which was comfortable no matter where we we going. Now with a larger boat, I'm more worried about shallows, and if there is a dock space available at some of the public docks, than I am about the conditions on the broads.

So, it can be done, as many people do it. Just be careful of the conditions and your freeboard, your loading, and experience.

There are many places you can enjoy in a boat your size. If you head out towards the broads and it's too rough, either turn around, or stay inside of many of the islands for some protection.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Pineedles

How about a 14' Sears Aluminum with a 14 horse Scott outboard? it's been all over the lake and never once did I consider the weather as something to be looked at. Of course that was over 45 years ago and the boat traffic wasn't what it is now. But the lake the is the same! Just choose a day that won't have a lot of traffic and you can go anywhere.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Chaselady

I have boated Wiini for 30 years, and have been caught by surprise several times. Crossing the broads that kicked up 4-6 footers within an hour on a sunny but windy day, with my elderly mother hanging on in the back of our 21 ft boat was quite the experience I would not want to repeat. That was wind, and not boat wakes. We decided at that time that in order to really use the whole lake most of the time we needed a bigger boat.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Never Enough

Default Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
This should sum it up for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGD-tUsySPs
Perfect video for a busy weekend on the lake! We see Rodney every weekend, sadly....
Never Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Never Enough For This Useful Post:
Chaos (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
fatlazyless

I use a 16' Alumacraft fishing boat with a 40-hp and it bounces around a lot on the weekends ...... one fun thing to do is to follow close behind a 28' cruiser as it slowly cruises along at 15-mph and to hang ten with the bow following on the big boat's wake .....sort of like surfing ....and it seems like the bow of my 16'er has about four feet of air under the bow........surfs-up!!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
Just Sold

Small boats like an 18' can be OK on the lake but not on every day. Like others have said the broads are always changing and it can be quickly. I did do the broads in extremely rough weather 4 years ago in a 14' Starcraft closed bow (a very bad choice) and I know of another who did it regularly in the 60's in a wood flat bottom 12' home made boat "Puddy Tat" Today I would suggest a 19' - 21' as the minimum size for occasional cruising on the lake. Also go for the widest hull width as that will help with stability in rough water too.
Name:  5-22-10_Overshadowed_Alton_Bay_2.jpg
Views: 7307
Size:  65.4 KB
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Like others have said the broads are always changing and it can be quickly. I did do the broads in extremely rough weather 4 years ago in a 14' Starcraft closed bow (a very bad choice)
Ken: I will never forget our ride home across the broads from Rattlesnake Island that day.....and that was in a big boat!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Ken: I will never forget our ride home across the broads from Rattlesnake Island that day.....and that was in a big boat!
Yup a 1989 22.5' Four Winns 225 Sundowner cuddy cabin. My 14' Starcraft ride was when we rented your place on Hills. My wife comented how good I was at navigating the rough waters but little did she know just how bad it was. Real bad.
Attached Images

Last edited by Just Sold; 03-26-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #16
Machz

Thanks for all the info, I figured it wouldn't be great on the weekends. I may just suck it up and go with a larger boat something we can overnight on.

Thanks all
Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #17
robmac

I would strongly recommend waiting till ice out and drive before you buy, find what you feel most comfortable with. Before signing on the dotted line ask your self what are the 5 things you and your family have to have in a boat then narrow your search. Good luck see you on the water
Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #18
fpartri497

I just bought a 2013 Monterey 280SY Anxious for Ice out.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
Just Sold

We were looking for something smaller and I was heading towards a 19'. Well, the wife had other ideas and as of right now we will be up to 21' with a cuddy. The 23' Wellcraft we really loved is pending and we will miss her but the new boat a Four Winns is in nice shape and met our needs and budget. As the saying goes Happy Wife .....
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

It can be difficult to find a place to park at a public dock ( Wolfeboro,Meredith, Alton) on the weekends with a larger boat. We have trouble finding a spot with our 25 foot tritoon. I can go out in my Seadoo anytime and find a place to park. With the Seadoo I am limited to 3 people. Our larger boat holds 10 people. Of course with a larger boat it is very easy to anchor and have a cookout on the boat.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #21
laketrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machz View Post
So I have owned boats for years that vary in size but they have always been 21+. After several years without a boat we ordered a new glastron GTS185 that we could tow easily to spend days on multiple lakes. We had a camp on Squam for 15+ years and loved the lake but we were thinking about a slip on Winni this year. I spent a good amount of time on winni years ago in a 205 sundowner and never had any concerns about it being to small for the lake.

My question is will I hate a small boat on winni, is it as bad as everyone says it is now on the big lake. I remember being able to find plenty of places to hide on the lake and even several to pull a skier as long as you stayed away from paugus bay/weirs on the weekend. I am only 20 min from the lake so I think after work during the week will be fine but how bad has it gotten on the weekends ?

Thanks
I had a 19' all be it a Shamrock at one time and now a 24' bowrider. I think the lake is much less busy than it was 10 years ago. Thank the Great Recession and Economy for the smaller boating crowds, just my opinion.

The lake is very quiet on weekdays Mon- Thursday with the exception of July 4th week. Nice sunny weekends can get busy but that's to be expected. You will certainly get more bounced around on a busy or windy day with big wake or waves than on a quieter non windy day. You can always stay in the bays (Paugus or Alton Bay etc..) that are not as rough.

I have a buddy who goes all over the lake in an 18' Inboard/Outobard bow rider for the past 7 years.. Anyways enjoy the lake.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
robmac

Talking

After starting way way back as a teenager with 16 and 17 footers I now am very happy with a 28. It is trouble docking on weekends but I find my family is not limited to not boating in rough seas. Also think about canvas, having your face pelted trying to get back to home port in a storm is not alot of fun. I am so happy to have camper canvas or at least canvas to cover the helm and allow your to operate in those times keeping the weather off you while you head to calmer waters is great. What ever you choose any day on the water is better by far than the best day at work.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #23
Machz

Well thanks for the info everyone. I decided to go with the smaller boat and grabbed a slip on squam instead. I'll still trailer to winni on occasion and vacation but the size of the boat fits me but not winni.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #24
Kamper

You'll be fine, you just need to be careful and plan your time around normal conditions. Avoid heading north on the long stretches between 11am-5pm unless you don't mind running slowly. Too fast and you will get a face-wash or might even torpedo. Calmest days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Some times it's calmer on the southwestern shore so you can cross parallel to the waves without much bumping. Ducking behind Rattle Snake and Diamond can help too and it's always interesting back there.

Have fun, good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #25
Steveo

Default Be careful on Squam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machz View Post
Well thanks for the info everyone. I decided to go with the smaller boat and grabbed a slip on squam instead. I'll still trailer to winni on occasion and vacation but the size of the boat fits me but not winni.
Squam is great, just be careful in Purgatory Cove
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #26
SIKSUKR

I hit my head in there once.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #27
polarisman14

That's fine. We spent many weekend days out there in a stingray 195lx and it was plenty. Just don't be stupid and follow a cabin cruiser diagonally on the broads.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #28
Showem

Last year I traded up from a Seadoo Sportster 15'6" to a Stingray 225 cuddy 23'. We spent 7 years using that seadoo and after last year we had enough. We used it mostly in the ocean off of Hampton going down to Cranes beach and also down the cape W Yarmouth to Osterville. We would have to pick our days and stay close to shore. We would also trailer it up the lake and visit friends over in Cow Island. I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the lake this year,I'm hoping during the week middle of May?
Showem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #29
Still lazy E

We put our 19' Fourwinns on Winni every year for a day or two romp across the lake. Weekdays are better than weekends as you can imagine. The stretch from Weirs out past Governors Island is always the worst. Two approachs slow and steady just off plane or skip the tops about 30-35mph and get it over with. Just be prepared to stow everything including small children if you take the last approach.

Winni is big enough that you can find calmer places to boat behind the islands. I can't say though we've been caught in the broads we've always stayed on the north side of the lake coming back from Wolfboro and avoided the 20+mph wind days. If I were on Winni the entire summer than I'd say that 24-26' range is where I'd be more comfortable but we spend 99%+ of our time on a smaller lake so there's no need for us at least.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The biggest boat I have owned, on winni is my current boat at 18.5'.... It nice and wide, and has good free board. I have never had an issue.... There are just some days when the rides are shorter then others.... And some area are just not destinations on the weekends, Meredith and the Weirs for example.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #31
znh

We have a 21.5' Fourwinns Funship and live on the broads. Some days it doesn't matter how big your boat is, if it's blowing it's rough going. But I've been on the broads in every type of conditions and never had a real problem. Sometimes it's a bit slower then others but if you get the boat up on plane properly you can get right over most of the waves. Other then the broads, pay attention to the wind direction and you can always find a calm cove / side of an island to get calmer waters. It's one of the my favorite parts of the lake...the conditions are constantly changing but you can always find a calm place to go for a swim or tow a tube or shut it off and float...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #32
fpartri497

Just bought a new 2013 Monteray 280 witch Is 29 ft. over all cabin cruiser Im pretty sure It will handle Winni O.K.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #33
fatlazyless

Default ...... the SWEPT AWAY!

New to me at the end of last August is a duck-hunter dark green colored 11-foot jon boat, made by Lund, that weighs about 70-lbs and is powered up by two wood oars, and artfully lettered with some 68-cent hardware store stick-on letters which say "SWEPT AWAY" across the stern transom. Capable of holding maybe three people and a dog, it is pretty danged sea worthy ..... all things considered ....as long as occupant's are even centered in this little vessel.

Totally capable of handling all heavy waves and wind that Lake Winnipesaukee can churn up.... the SWEPT AWAY lives close to FL-3 and tiny little Horse Island close to the southern end of Bear Island.

Paying the big money of $400, used price, via craigslist to someone out on Mark Island ..... the Swept Away is without a doubt .....the most fun boat on the entire lake.....as long as it don't get swept away by some big fast 45-mph motor-boater who never even sees it out there!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #34
LastonBoard

Default The Swept Away

LOL - reminds me of when I use to go out with my grandfather in his 12 foot fiberglass runabout from Sears with a 15hp outboard. Made the lake feel huge as it took forever to get anywhere. Granted this was back when 21 footers where considered the big boats on the lake.
LastonBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #35
RLW

Smile

LastonBoard, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #36
RLW

Smile

Still lazy E, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #37
dickiej

Spent summers at Peggy's Cove in Alton Bay. My father had a 14' Dreamboat with a 35 hp Chrysler. I had more fun on that boat than any boat I've ever owned!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #38
samosetguy

Default It's all about the wind

In my opinion, it's all about the wind speeds on the broads. Once the winds get over 12-13mph, you probably will be more comfortable in something bigger than 21ft.

If the wind is 10-11mph or lower, you're probably fine in a smaller boat. Obviously, a low sustained wind with a high gust could cause issues as well.

Others may have a different preference.

The wind is generally better before mid-morning and after late afternoon.

The weather channel app on all phones has a feature that forecasts wind speed by hour.

I have a smaller boat and I'm on the broads (can't avoid them). I've been in high wind weather and the boat can handle it but it's not a very enjoyable ride. I usually pick my boat days based on the projected wind speed for the day. If it's high and I still want to head out, I try to do something early morning or early evening to avoid the peak winds of the day.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote