Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Kracken

Default Capt. Boneheads, Marine Patrol

I have always complained about Capt. Boneheads, Marine Patrol and discourteous boaters on Winnipesaukee. I use to cruise the lake pointing out to my passengers poor behavior by other boaters. This critiquing has come to an end because I had an epiphany. I spent a week at Sebago / Long Lake. After that experience, I have to say. We have it pretty darn good here at Winni.

Here is a list of some of the things I have seen during my week long vacation. Keep in mind; I didn’t see these events happen once. These happened constantly.

1. Boats in a channel, 30 feet from shore doing 25+ MPH, some on plane.
2. Children sitting on the bow (in front of the gate) of pontoon boats with the legs in the water while underway.
3. Boats passing other boats (on plane) at less than 30 feet. The safe passage law in Maine is 200 ft
4. Boats with no hull numbers.
5. Boats using docking likes as headlights.
6. Boats with no navigation lights
7. PWC riders without life jackets.
8. Skiers/Tubers without life jackets or just belts.
9. GFBLs without any exhaust restrictions. (Running at 2:00 AM).
10. Boats passing in a channel at less than 10 feet on plane.
11. Boats overloaded by 100s of lbs.
12. People riding on transoms.

I even saw a kid bodysurfing off the swim platform of a 25ft bow-rider. (yes about 2 feet from the prop.)

Maybe I was there on a bad week, and this is not typical for that area…but I doubt it.

The biggest reason all this happens up there is the lack of MP. There were several days in a row I noticed the marine safety boat never left the dock. So next time you see those blue lights go on be thankful they are there. They may not be perfect, they may be annoying at times, they may even diminish your enjoyment of the lake, but without them things would be far worse.

And for an added plus they charged me $25.00 to put the boat in and $25.00 to take it out, and another $20.00 for a milfoil sticker for out of state boaters. I didn’t feel that bad about the milfoil sticker because when I took the boat out I got an official Maine souvenir milfoil on my outdrive.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
4Fun

I just said the same thing in another thread.

I am not sure if it's because of the laws, MP enforcement or just a different demographic but everywhere else I have been seemed like a free for all. I keep saying if you placed a NHMP officer in the mouth of the Merrimack in Newburyport his head would spin. I realize it's a different place but we do have it pretty good.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Woodsy

I have been saying we have it good for years.... just go for a quick spin in FL on the intracoastal on any given weekend! CRAZY!

BTW... the ME safe passage law is 200' from shore! You can run at WOT 20' off someones gunwales legally... (not saying thats a good idea)

ME does have a 90dB noise law, but i dont think its enforced.

http://www.boater101.com/Course/docu...Estatelaws.pdf

All in all I think the NHMP do a GREAT job given the resources they are allotted! Of course it would be a better if they didnt have to enforce the law that shall not be mentioned!

Woodsy
Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Neko

Default Marine Patrol

We had a cottage on Moose Pond years ago, things must have changed since we sold it. The MP on the lake were gun happy jurks. My son and I were out hunting FROGS for a day of fishing and a MP came flying at us with his lights and his hand on his gun.
My son was so scard he started crying and I started yelling.
I ended up filing a complaint against the MP officer. This did abssolutely nothing but piss him off.
Every season after that we were always pulled over for some reason. We finally sold the place.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up Agreement

I am in agreement with those who have experience boating outside of this state. It is a mad house on the intercoastal, Lake Norman in NC, Lake Sebago in ME, Lake Webster in Mass as well as the Merrimac River in Mass. The marine patrol has done a great job. About the only place I feel safe is offshore on the ocean. Plenty of room to spread out and go about your business. Pretty much like the Broads.

We may talk about the 'gestapo' attitude of some MPOs and wonder where they are when the Capt. Boneheads are out. They have done a good job overall.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I am in agreement with those who have experience boating outside of this state. It is a mad house on the intercoastal, Lake Norman in NC, Lake Sebago in ME, Lake Webster in Mass as well as the Merrimac River in Mass. The marine patrol has done a great job. About the only place I feel safe is offshore on the ocean. Plenty of room to spread out and go about your business. Pretty much like the Broads.

We may talk about the 'gestapo' attitude of some MPOs and wonder where they are when the Capt. Boneheads are out. They have done a good job overall.
For anyone that's read about, or experienced, the likes of LOTO, Havasu et al, last year's statements referring to Winni as the Wild Wild West must have been pretty amusing.

Now for the MP. I've read the stories, experienced some. How have they "done a good job overall?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
For anyone that's read about, or experienced, the likes of LOTO, Havasu et al, last year's statements referring to Winni as the Wild Wild West must have been pretty amusing.

Now for the MP. I've read the stories, experienced some. How have they "done a good job overall?

Why do you think Winni is much more calm and SAFE than these other places? (Insert icon for can of worms)
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote