Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Mat

Default navaids

Can someone explain more clearly the nav rules for a lighted buoy with a companion buoy for me. Looking at my Bizer chart the legend shows the various symbols for a lighted buoy with its companion. But looking at the chart for example FL1 is a lighted buoy with a black companion. Does this mean there are actually two buoys? Help.

Thanks

Last edited by Mat; 07-20-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
KTO

If I get what you're saying...

Light buoys are typically assigned a number and their only purpose is to help you locate yourself on the lake and are irrelevant to the red/black buoys.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's it.
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Mat

Thats what I thought. But why do the the markers have companion buoys?
Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Look at it another way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Thats what I thought. But why do the the markers have companion buoys?
Thanks
As said above the lighted navaids are there to help navigation at night (and when visibility is limited). Usually they are placed next to another navaid which marks some sort of hazard. So that navaid (white/red-tip or white/black-tip) tells you (by virtue of it's coloration) which direction to pass by and a few of these also have a lighted navaid companion. The lighted navaid is (these days) generally just an orange buoy with a light on top. It, by itself, doesn't indicate which side of the buoy is safe to pass on.

You might ask why Winni doesn't have more lighted navaids to mark/accompany more hazard markers. Fraid I can't answer that one other than to say it's been said that along the major routes you can always see 2 lighted navaids so perhaps TPTB thought that what we have was/is good enough.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
KTO

There are some situations (and I can think of a few right off the top of my head) where the lighted buoy is nowhere near a hazard and still is lighted and numbered.

Quote:
You might ask why Winni doesn't have more lighted navaids to mark/accompany more hazard markers. Fraid I can't answer that one other than to say it's been said that along the major routes you can always see 2 lighted navaids so perhaps TPTB thought that what we have was/is good enough.
And then you have to ask yourself what sense they make? Why are #6 and #84 right next to each other? :P
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTO View Post
There are some situations (and I can think of a few right off the top of my head) where the lighted buoy is nowhere near a hazard and still is lighted and numbered.

And then you have to ask yourself what sense they make? Why are #6 and #84 right next to each other? :P

I can only think of one that's not very close to a hazard, #6. I think it's placed where it is to make a direct path between #6 and #5 that avoids the shallow rocky area by Two Mile Island.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
... But looking at the chart for example FL1 is a lighted buoy with a black companion. Does this mean there are actually two buoys? Help. Thanks
Yes, there are two buoys. The lighted buoy and a black spar (in this case) are at the same location separated by a few feet. See the attached photo for light 30.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Mat

Thank you Bizer. A picture really is worth a thousand words.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Phantom

Bizer -- where did you dig up (or probably scanned from a photo) THAT old picture of FL# 30 LMAO