Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Jidge

Default Alton Bay boat ramp FYI

This past Sat. afternoon I was dropping off my brother and girlfriend at the 15 min. public ramp dock. There were no spaces at the public docks. I pulled up alongside the dock closest to the ramp since there was another boat in the other space. They hopped off and we pushed off from the dock about 2-3 feet. I put the boat in forward and low and behold I hear a big clunk and the engine died. Apparently I should have trimmed up a little there because I ground up one of the big rocks down below into little rocks. I definitely trashed the rear prop and skimmed the forward ( Duoprop). I'm just posting this so no one else does the same. My depth finder was reading 5'. The draft of my boat is 3'2", with outdrive I'm probably right around the 5'. So its an expensive lesson learned here for me. Hopefully enough people see this so as not to make the same mistake. The boat still drives good but I'm still going to change the rear prop so I don't wear out a bearing from vibration.
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
jrc

Thanks for the heads up.

I would definitely get the props checked. If you have a trailer boat, I'd even think about having whole drive pulled and checked.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
livefreeordie

Call this place they can repair it.... They do a great job

ACCUTECH MARINE PROPELLER, INC.

121 Laffayette Road, Northampton, NH 03862,
Tel: (603) 964-3682
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
searay220

I'm wondering at this situation after hitting rocks with the prop. At what point would you involve your insurance company? I have Boat US boat saver policy which I understand is a very common policy for boat owners. I have never filed a claim before and I am unsure at what point would you file a claim? Could anyone shed some light on that for me? Real curious..
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidge View Post
My depth finder was reading 5'. The draft of my boat is 3'2", with outdrive I'm probably right around the 5'. So its an expensive lesson learned here for me. Hopefully enough people see this so as not to make the same mistake. The boat still drives good but I'm still going to change the rear prop so I don't wear out a bearing from vibration.
I was always under the impression that the draft of a boat was the depth needed for the drive to clear underwater obstacles; in some cases, I've seen 2 numbers quoted, one for drive "up" (trailered) and one for drive "down". So in your case, if your draft is stated as 38" (3'2"), under normal circumstances I would expect 5' to be plenty of depth to avoid striking an underwater object. Of course, who knows what "normal circumstances" really are. But I feel your pain, it sucks to destroy a prop!
Old 08-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Deductible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay220 View Post
I'm wondering at this situation after hitting rocks with the prop. At what point would you involve your insurance company? I have Boat US boat saver policy which I understand is a very common policy for boat owners. I have never filed a claim before and I am unsure at what point would you file a claim? Could anyone shed some light on that for me? Real curious..
I think you have to look hard at your deductibles and realize that most insurance companies will drop you like a hot potato if you claim too much.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I was always under the impression that the draft of a boat was the depth needed for the drive to clear underwater obstacles; in some cases, I've seen 2 numbers quoted, one for drive "up" (trailered) and one for drive "down". So in your case, if your draft is stated as 38" (3'2"), under normal circumstances I would expect 5' to be plenty of depth to avoid striking an underwater object. Of course, who knows what "normal circumstances" really are. But I feel your pain, it sucks to destroy a prop!
I guess it all comes down to where the depth finder is reading. If the sensor is located to the middle front of the boat, it is not going to read the rocks that are above the 38" draft at the back of the boat, if all that makes any sense. Sorry to hear about the issue.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
I guess it all comes down to where the depth finder is reading. If the sensor is located to the middle front of the boat, it is not going to read the rocks that are above the 38" draft at the back of the boat, if all that makes any sense. Sorry to hear about the issue.
I agree with you gta; I know my transducer is about 6' to 8' ahead of my outdrive so if I feel my drive hit something and immediately look at the depth finder, my transducer's already 6' to 8' beyond the object I just struck. Luckily, this isn't my issue.........this time!

I just thought Jidge had misunderstood what the definition of draft was in this case. They had written that "My depth finder was reading 5'. The draft of my boat is 3'2", with outdrive I'm probably right around the 5'." I was just trying to point out to Jidge that the outdrive (trimmed all the way down) would be 38" deep, not 5'.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I agree with you gta; I know my transducer is about 6' to 8' ahead of my outdrive so if I feel my drive hit something and immediately look at the depth finder, my transducer's already 6' to 8' beyond the object I just struck. Luckily, this isn't my issue.........this time!

I just thought Jidge had misunderstood what the definition of draft was in this case. They had written that "My depth finder was reading 5'. The draft of my boat is 3'2", with outdrive I'm probably right around the 5'." I was just trying to point out to Jidge that the outdrive (trimmed all the way down) would be 38" deep, not 5'.
Wolf, not disagreeing with you at all what you had said to Jidge. I was just trying to point out to Jidge that depending where the transducer is placed the 5' reading there, may not be the same 5' depth as where the outdrive/prop hit the rocks.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Question Offset adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
Wolf, not disagreeing with you at all what you had said to Jidge. I was just trying to point out to Jidge that depending where the transducer is placed the 5' reading there, may not be the same 5' depth as where the outdrive/prop hit the rocks.
Good point. Also some depth finders have an offset adjustment that can be set to account for their placement off the centerline (keel) of the boat. The displayed reading is the measured distance +/- the offset adjustment. Perhaps Jidge's DF adjustment is set waaaaaay off ???

FWIW : a friend of mine related a similar story some years back refering to what he called the docks at Shibleys. Perhaps he really meant the waiting dock ???
Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Jidge

My transducer is about 30" forward of the outdrive. In reading up on the draft of my boat , I think your right about it including the drive. The measurement would be useless if it didn't include the drive.(I believe trimmed up) I believe the measurement is used as a gauge to avoid my instance. From now on I'll be more attentive close to the docks.
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote