Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
codeman671

Default Satellite tv on boats?

Is anyone currently using a satellite tv setup on their boat? I am looking into it for a new boat we are picking up. Pro's? Con's? Brand used? Pricing?

Any help would be appreciated. Its a pretty large expense so I would hate to go into this uninformed.

My kids (and my own sanity) say thank you in advance
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Is anyone currently using a satellite tv setup on their boat? I am looking into it for a new boat we are picking up. Pro's? Con's? Brand used? Pricing?

Any help would be appreciated. Its a pretty large expense so I would hate to go into this uninformed.

My kids (and my own sanity) say thank you in advance
Although I'm sure there are folks who use them on boats I would caution you on the quality of the signal remaining good on a boat that certainly rocks from side to side even when docked. It doesn't take much to get a dish out of adjustment with the satellite and you wouldn't be happy with it when it does. Now, if you have the ability to mount it on a tripod on the dock, thats a different story. JMO.

BT
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Although I'm sure there are folks who use them on boats I would caution you on the quality of the signal remaining good on a boat that certainly rocks from side to side even when docked. It doesn't take much to get a dish out of adjustment with the satellite and you wouldn't be happy with it when it does. Now, if you have the ability to mount it on a tripod on the dock, thats a different story. JMO.

BT
The marine dishes are meant to be mobile and auto track when under way so in theory it should not be a problem. I was just speaking with a KVH dealer who recommended the M3 for use when in motion.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
krm

Default work great

I would not worry about losing signal, used one on a SeaRay 420 AC, it tracks great, went through a storm heading from Naples to Key West, 6-8' swells heavy rain, really rocking, didn't drop the signal once, but in my case it needed the Generator on to operate, it is an older unit (time flys). New ones might not need a generator?
krm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Kingdome

Kingdome / King Controls makes an in motion auto tracking satellite dish that works great. I had one in my RV with no issues except in heavy rain when the dome got real wet. There is a spray you can buy to eliminate this however. Here is a link to their marine satellite products. http://www.kingcontrols.com/sea_king/

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
VtSteve

Unless you're really into live TV which in the summer isn't really live anyway. Get yourself an iPod Classic and port it to the TV set. If that's not your thing, even a DVD player can accomplish the same sort of thing. I looked into Sat as well, and just found the cost prohibitive for what we'd use it for.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
The marine dishes are meant to be mobile and auto track when under way so in theory it should not be a problem. I was just speaking with a KVH dealer who recommended the M3 for use when in motion.
Well, how about that...I learned something new, auto-tracking dishes. I'll go back into my hole now.

BT
Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
hockeypuck

Last winter I was onboard a 70 foot catamaran in the Virgin Islands equipped with satellite tv system. The guys thought it would be pretty cool to watch some football while moored. Long story short, when the boat swung around on the mooring the mast would block the reception until we powered the boat to a different angle. Had to do this about every 10 minutes. If you don't have a sailboat you're probable fine.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Well, how about that...I learned something new, auto-tracking dishes. I'll go back into my hole now.

BT
The technology on these is pretty interesting. Many are HD capable as well, not that I really need Sprout or Noggin in HD...Expensive though, this venture looks to be about $5k installed for KVH. Now NESN in HD, thats another story...
Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default VuQube

Codeman;

Did you see this portable unit offered by King Controls??

$2,300.00 and you could also use this at your camp or any place else you want. Nothing to install as it is portable. It also has in motion auto tracking.

Just an fyi.. There is a learning curve with any of these devices. The one in my motorhome worked great but did take a few trial and error fist pounding sessions to learn how to use correctly.

Good luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Lakepilot

We have a Kingdome in-motion sat. dish on top of our RV and it works great. It dooesn't like bridges or tunnels - it needs to see the sat. A lot of RVer's with sat. service in their homes, buy an extra box and put it in the RV without a phone connection. The extra box costs $5/month. If they don't have sa.t in the house then they'll have to pay for at least the basic rate plus the box.

I would look for a used in-motion dish. They're coming out with new ones to deal with HDTV and some folks are upgrading.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote