Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Kamper

Lightbulb Two stroke reservior. Idle curiosity.

Idle and curious. Some folks say that's when I'm most dangerous...

I've been told 2s oil does not flow reliably below aprx 40 degress fahrenheit. I'll assume that as true but can accept correction if anyone knows better.

As an intellectual excercise, what do you folks think of modifying a motor so the water stream is re-enginerred around the oil reservoir to heat the oil to the point it will flow and permit safe operation of an out-board motor in cold weather.

I'm looking for ups and downs, but if you have a downer try to offer a possible solution. I can think of several things myself.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Woodsy

Kamper..

2 stroke oil flows just fine in cold temps.... just ask anyone running a snowmobile. Its a pretty thin oil.

No need to reroute anything. If I was concerned about oil tank temp, I would use an electric (12V) heated blanket material... lots easier to wrap around the oil tank, less weight, easily removable for summer.

Woodsy
Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Kamper

I was working on the motor once at about 20 degrees and it flowed like molasses. Might have been the brand (WalMart).
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Default .....that Wal-Mart two-stroke tech lube is just so-so!

The Wal-Mart $8.54/gal two stroke oil does a pretty good job but the Amsoil $22.00/gal synthetic lubes better. When throttling down suddenly from max revs of 6500prm to an idle 1000rpm, it keeps the engine from stalling out and I think it burns cleaner without that smelly Wal-Mart odor.

Just noticed that the Coast Guard has gone Honda. Saw a Coast Guard fast patrol boat over the weekend at the Point Judith RI, CG base and it was maybe a 32 foot aluminum fast boat somewhat similar to the NH Marine Patrol newer patrols. It had two Honda 225hp outboards. So, while the NH Marine patrol uses twin Mercury two-stroke 150hp's on their four year old aluminum patrol boats, the Coast Guard has gone Honda with twin Honda 225hp four-strokes. Somehow, I do not think the Hondas were chosen for their environmental friendly exhaust or for being legal in California. Probably, the Coast Guard just wants reliabilty, plus the other features do not hurt.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
dpg

Amsoil's probably one of the top two or three oils made. Not cheap but what-the-hey! What is it Pennzoil says? "You can pay a little now or a lot later." I believe Amsoil and Royal Purple are like in the top three lubricants made for engines.

Oh ya, I just remembered that's Fram isn't it???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links