Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
evilknevilesq

Default Advice/info on slip or valet service please

Hello all, I am looking to bring a Four Winns 248 Vista up to the lake this summer. I used to spend a lot of time up there with my friend Clint Rand who ran Bayswater Boats, a small sail boat marina up towards Moultonboro, till it went under. Anybody remember that place? Now, he's moved down to CT to pursue other ventures, and I'm looking to get back to the lake. The plan for now is to be the typical weekend warrior, staying on the boat if I have a wet slip, and staying with local friends if I valet. I'd rather have the wet slip, but money doesn't grow on trees for me either. I can't wait to come back, I used to spend summers up there as a kid, it's easily one of my favorite places in the world.

I like to float about in Braun, and head to Weirs and Merideth, but I'm looking forward to exploring more of the lake on my own, so what area should I be looking to keep the boat?

I hear a different story from nearly everyone as far as pricing and availibility for valet service and wet slips, I'd like to get some input from you nice folks.

Specifically,

Being that I like to do the touristy things, where do I want to leave my boat?

What should I expect to spend for a wet slip, and do you think I can get one?

What should I expect to spend for valet service, do they valet 24 ft boats, and would any Marinas I valet at let me tie up Saturday nights to sleep on the boat?

Do people with private docks rent them out to someone like me? Do I want to if they would?

Which marinas are friendly, which ones should I use for a last resort?

What questions have I forgotten to ask?

Thanks a real lot for the help everyone, I'm looking forward to putting in some good R&R in this summer and hope you all can make room at Braun for one more friendly boater
evilknevilesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
secondcurve

Evilone:

If oil prices continue to sprint upward over the next couple of months (as they appear to be heading), and the stock market swoons, then I think you might have the pick of several nice spots if you hold off until May......The consumer is weakening and this could open up the lake this summer. I clearly noted a difference at the end of last summer with respect to boat traffic.

On the other hand, if you want to make sure you get in somewhere, put forty one hundred dollar bills in your pocket and take a ride by several of the marinas you would like to be a member of in mid to late Febuary. Stop and talk with the various owners and tell them you are ready to pay on the spot. This approach typically gets you to the top of the list, especially in Febuary, when cash is tight for boat yards.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
secondcurve

Evilone:

I forgot to mention that I'm paying $3,100.00 for a slip to house my 25 foot boat this summer....Ouch!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
Aquadeziac

Post Decisions

Welcome back to the lake evil. First, if you like the 'touristy' thing, you might want to stay clear of a slip in Paugus Bay unless you like making two trips through the NWZ at the channel every time you want to go out. If you scout out places like winni.com classifieds 'slips' heading they appear to be renting from $2500 at Akwa Marina Yacht Club near the Weirs to upwards of $5000-$6000 at MVYC or Spinnaker Cove. MVYC can rack up to a 29' with a single drive. Valet racks, which are basically a poor mans slip are becoming increasingly harder to come by and are still $1100 - $1500 and though some places are unlimited launchings, alot will limit you to so many times a week and there is an extra charge sometimes as large as $50 for each additional launch/haul-out. Additionally, there are no Marinas with valet that will allow overniting.
There are private docks available sporadically but keep in mind that most of them are in fairly open water and not protected in cases of storms and rough water. In addition, very few will have amenities like electricity, water, cable, bath/showers, etc. And again, overniting at a private dock may be a question also.
As far as where to slip...I keep mine in Gilford which is centrally convenient to Weirs, Meredith, Center Harbor, Wolfboro, and Alton Bay. None of them being more than a half hour away in any direction. Again, with a limited number of NWZs.
As far as which Marinas are good or bad. I have found that boaters within Marinas/Yacht Clubs are most always the friendliest people you will meet, no matter where you decide on. Marina management is sometimes where the rub is. I prefer a Yacht Club atmosphere where there is no onsite Service Dept as it allows me to contract whoever I want to do work on my boat. There are some excellent Mobile Marine Services in the area. Where as, if there is a Service Dept attached to the Marina/Yacht Club you are more or less expected to use it, no matter the quality or expense of their work. Some places will not even let an Independant Marine Service on their property.
This experience comes from 20 years of boating and includes trailering, valet racking and wet slips. If you would like to PM or email me I may have a lead or two on an available wet slip.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
winniekid

Wink Wolfeboro area

I recently secured a private wet slip for my 25' boat in Tuftonboro for $2200 from Memorial day until Columbus Day. It doesn't have any amenities, but I don't need any. I know that Goodhue in Wolfeboro will accept 24' boats and as of last Friday their rate for 2006 summer is $1900. They are available 8a-5pm for service. They will not allow you to sleep on boat. You could also try the Wolfeboro Corinthian Yacht Club. I spoke with them earlier this winter and they will accept 24' boats max. I think they still have valet slips available. Personally I prefer a wet slip in case I want to go out for the evening. Good luck!
winniekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
hazelnut

Thumbs up Try Harilla

Harilla Landing is Phenominal!!!!!! The staff are the most friendly helpful group you will ever deal with. They have both wet and dry storage for rent usually. All slips and dry storage are privately owned by individuals. You can usually find something though. We happen to own, but we used to rent from an owner. The ammenities include parking for one car and a dumpster. The beauty of Harilla is that they have a full service Marine Mechanic on duty 6 days a week. Try calling Goodhue in Center Harbor for information on renting, sometimes people mention it to them if they are planning on renting out their slips. The valet service is included in the price of rental. I know that they can accomodate a 24 footer. Prices for dry storage for a 24 foot boat can range from $1,700 to $2,500. Good Luck and welcome back!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote