Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Ken B

Default On the Water boating class

I've been trying to get my wife to take the helm of our 20ft boot for the last 3 years and she's just not comfortable driving it. Her apprehension stems, I think, from the busy water, having the kids on board which can be distracting and an overall lack of comfort behind the wheel. I'm going to take the safe boating class with her this winter as a start but I was wondering if there were any on the water classes on Winni? Yeah, yeah, I can certainly teach her but I think it may be best if someone else did.

Any suggestions?

ken
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Mee-n-Mac

Default Ask the good Capt Powell

Please see this thread ...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...read.php?t=430
Old 12-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
Dave R

I have exactly the same problem and think your idea is excellent. I know of a guy in MA that teaches boat handling on the water. Maybe we could get a group together for a females only class.

The instructor can be contacted through this forum post: http://www.boatingabc.com/cgi-bin/ul...ic/1/2979.html
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Steve

Same here. My wife will drive the boat out on the open water, but wants nothing to do with it in close quarters. We might be in for this too. Dave, I believe I know who you're talking about. That would be great.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Paugus Bay Resident

Here's a link. Janis has done a lot of in-water training on Winni.

http://www.jpboating.com/
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2005, 12:34 AM   #6
Pepper

Lightbulb Fabulous idea!

Now THIS is a GREAT IDEA!

Is there a way to learn "in the water" without owning a boat? Is there a boat that can be rented for the purpose of training?

I ask this because although I am a Certified Tractor Trailer Instructor, I am not only clueless about how to drive a boat, I am truly TERRIFIED to try! I'll explain why:

When I was in my early twenties, my Dad had an old fiberglass boat with a huge volvo inboard/outboard motor, and five seats. I have no idea how big this boat was, I'll guess it was about 16 feet long. Back then (in the stone ages) there were no such thing as Safety Certifications required to operate a boat. My Dad was an experienced sailor, having decades of experience at the helm of motorboats and sailboats alike. My Dad also had WAAAAAAAY too much confidence in the abilities of his little girl who could drive trucks and turn wrenches on them too.

One year he wanted to take the boat up the Delaware River to watch the fireworks that were displayed over the river between Philadelphia and Camden, NJ. He drove on the way up, and afterward we waited for almost all of the other boats to leave before we headed downriver.

It was around 1:30 in the morning and the river was as calm as could be, and there wasn't another boat in sight. Dad say's "Hey, wanna take the wheel?" Idiot that I am, (and being an ignorant and fearless 22 year old) I said OK! Dad was watching over the bow for other boat traffic, and I was steering along, straight downriver.

Out of the darkness, comes a tugboat wake. Tugboats make a wake that is more like a "gulley of water" than a wave of water. I hit this thing straight on, the bow went DOWN and then UP --- WAAAAY UP. As the bow came down again with a horrific crash, the seat underneath me came loose and went flying to the back of the boat. Now here I am, skinny little runt, hanging onto a steering wheel thats now going insane, and with no seat to anchor my butt to or gain any leverage against.

Needless to say, it scared the you-know-what out of me! Never again will I have the courage to take the wheel, I said to myself! I did sign up for the Coast Guard Auxilliary Course, and completed it too, but that was twenty years ago, and I'm old and have forgotten virtually everything they taught me.

If, however, I had a good instructor! Well then, that could change everything! I would really like to conquer this fear, and it sure would be nice to someday buy a boat and enjoy this incredible lake!

So, is it possible to rent a boat and instructor together? This could be a whole new world for me!
Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
Silver Duck

Default Yes, there is!

Hi Pepper

Getting on-water training from a pro is a great idea; the lake would be a better place if everyone did so!

I've heard very good things about Janis at JPBoating, and I'm pretty sure she has a link right here on the site. And, though lots of marinas rent boats, she would probably have a feel for the best location to rent from so you coulld start in a relatively quiet area. (With what you just shared with us, I don't think that the Wiers area would be the best place for you to start; maybe not Meredith or Wolfboro, either.)

I believe that your old CG certificate is still good, but it would probably be a good idea to take the NH course (maybe on line?) to refresh your memory and build some confidence.

Go for it! It's a shame to live next to the lake and not be able to enjoy it fully, and you'd be a great addition to the boating community!

Fred
(aka Silver Duck)
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Pepper

Thanks SilverDuck! Janis and her hubby are actually neighbors of mine, and very nice people. I think what I'll do is contact her directly once the springtime is here, and see if I can arrange a way to start learning. She is knowledgable about every aspect of the lake, and will surely be able to give the best advice with regard to where to rent an appropriate boat for learning!

Perhaps she'll see this thread and post, so others can who may wish to learn but have no boat may also be able to benefit from her training and expertise! I'm sure there must be other folks who would love to learn, but don't yet have a boat, and won't buy one because they haven't got the faintest idea how to operate it!

There is no doubt in my mind that there are a lot of problems caused by people operating boats without proper training. I don't intend to ever be one of them!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
CaptJP

Default Rent-to-learn

I just got wind that there was some chatter about on-the-water lessons. My favorite topic! I don't visit the forum all that frequently once my boat is out of the water so I haven't seen the posts 'til now.

To answer the question on renting a boat to take lessons on- I strongly urge folks to use their own boat. Every boat handles differently. If you don't own one, learn on the one you expect to be passenger on most frequently (if the owner is willing to take the chance of course!). Make sure you are added to the insurance policy as an additional insured for the day. While you can likely find a boat to rent with similar characteristics to one you anticipate owning or operating one day, it is far more worthwhile to learn on one you will use frequently... otherwise you are just wasting money.

Friends and family are great for getting your feet wet with some behind the wheel experiences before growing into your own vessel. I do know for a fact though that spouses should not try to teach each other if they intend to stay married for any length of time, so try to find a good friend with a large (rubber) rub rail to help you get started.

Seriously though, learning to safely handle a boat is like learning a new language, you need to practice (A LOT) and if you don't continue to use the skills, you become quite rusty and have to go back a few steps and practice some more. Renting a boat to learn is only going to be worth your time and money if you expect to behind the wheel enough to practice when the training's done. That could get expensive.
CaptJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #10
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Old US Coast Guard Aux certificate may NOT satisfy NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
Hi Pepper
I believe that your old CG certificate is still good, but it would probably be a good idea to take the NH course (maybe on line?) to refresh your memory and build some confidence.
A few years ago I asked NH Marine Patrol if my old US Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Safety Courses and Certificates would satisfy the NH Boater Education requirement. The answer at that time was NO, my USCGA certificates were too old. There have been many changes in the course material over the last few decades. Pepper's certificate is from 20 years ago, mine are even older. I do remember some of the course material though, like converting between True and Magnetic compass readings (something I don't do on the Lake). In fact I haven't had a compass at the helm for several years). Red Right Returning and some other items I don't often use on the Lake . I was a Lieutenant in the USCGA back in the early 70's but was not too active.

The more recent USCGA certificates are accepted as are Power Squadron certificates. I don't know what year is recent enough to qualify - If in doubt, contact Marine Patrol.

This is a great topic - learning and practicing on the water. I know I practice and try to get my family to practice too. My wife wants no part of driving. My kids (now 19 and 15) like to drive but not dock or do close maneuvering. We practice though. I toss a soccer size ball in the water and maneuver to it. Put the right corner of the swim platform by the ball, or go beside it on port or starboard and such. We also maneuver to and around a floating but anchored marker that sits in about 8 feet of water.

Good advice from CaptJP and others.
There is no such thing as being "too good" at this boating stuff - safe boating to all

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Pepper

I'm so glad you got wind of this thread and came by to post!

It certainly makes good sense that boating skills should be practiced frequently, and that learning on the boat you plan to operate would be a good idea. So, I guess it's a bad idea for me to try and learn - because heaven knows with my schedule I'd have very little opportunity to practice or enjoy the lake. Maybe sometime in the future.

Thanks for the good advice!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #12
itchin for fishin

Great topic.

What comes to mind is the drowning a couple years back where the woman dove in after the speaker cover and no one on board knew how to pilot the boat to save her.

I pilot 99.9% of the time. Teaching my wife to pilot has been the project that began last season. You never know when an emergency may arise. You need more than one person who knows how to operate the boat on board.

Sounds like a commitment we all can make for next season and work it through this site.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

[quote=Pepper] So, I guess it's a bad idea for me to try and learn - because heaven knows with my schedule I'd have very little opportunity to practice or enjoy the lake.

I don't know Pepper...get a boat and some good instruction from Capt. JP, and you will be well on your way to delivering some of those double stuffed lobster rolls, barbeque pork sandwiches,etc

PS...that'll be the Upthesaukee drifting off Rattlesnake in full view of Snake Eyes Cam... we'll take three with a side of onion rings...
Old 12-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #14
Pepper

Default Delivery to the Upthesaukee

Yeah, OK! If I agree to do this, can I take the rest of the day off after I make the delivery?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Talking It's a whole new business opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Yeah, OK! If I agree to do this, can I take the rest of the day off after I make the delivery?
You'll probably have to, given the boat traffic through the channel into Paugus Bay Then again you could expand ... think Waldo Peppers II ... on a boat ... like the ice cream man. Leave the hot kitchen to others, you could just boat around the lake delivering WP goodness. Hire a runner to bring the goods from the WP I kitchen to you (in the mobile, aquatic WP II) at the Wiers docks. Yup I can see it now !
Old 12-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #16
Ken B

Thanks everyone for your posts. I will certainly look up Janis for a lesson or two for my wife. The post about the two people drowning really brought the imp[ortance of someone else on the boat knowing how ot handle it. I also like the note about spouses teaching each other...boy, is that one true. Although, I did teach my wife how to drive standard on our first date!

Merry Christmas,

Ken B
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:05 AM   #17
Island Girl

Default Absolutly take the rest of the day off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Deliver to my dock and you can stay!!! I will have a cold and a hot lobster roll, fries, and a good friend!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #18
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
Deliver to my dock and you can stay!!! I will have a cold and a hot lobster roll, fries, and a good friend!
You forgot the HUG!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #19
Island Girl

Default Hugs included

Ah yes... we cannot forget the famous Waldo Peppers hug...

If you like you can bring a days supply of lobster rolls and we can sell them off a dock on a mooring. that way you can just sit in the water and enjoy, then climb up onto the dock when a customer comes by.

Guess we have gotten off topic... sorry, I will behave noe.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #20
KBoater

Default Boating Drive-In

I always thought a boating drive in would be great. No lines to secure
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 AM   #21
Misty Blue

Default CG Auxiliary and USPS courses from the past are good.

Skipper of the Sea Que.

Silver Duck was right. When the NHMP told you that an approved course taken years ago will not meet the requirements they were dead wrong.

The class that you took all those years ago (if given by the Auxiliary or the PS) was between eight and 14 weeks long with an average of four to six hours of homework between classes. You left with a true knowledge of Seamanship, piloting, navigation, aids to navigation, marine engines, weather, boat handling and rough weather handling, radio communications and state and federal equipment requirements.

The course was tought by an instructor who took months to qualify to teach and was constantly updated and requalified.

Those of you who have taken the NHMP course may ask yourself "Did I get all that from my 6 to 8 hour course?"

As Silver Duck suggested take the NH course again as a refresher but don't let them tell you that your Auxiliary or USPS course is no good. That is simply not true.

This winter, probably starting mid to late January, the Lakes Region Detachment of the UCCG Auxiliary is planing a full blown course as discribed above. It will be followed by a one to two week class sponsored by the Boat/US Foundation deaigned to prepare students for the NH Comercial Vessel Operator's License.

I need a minimum of 10 studentsts to pull this off and I have five or six now so if anyone here is interested drop me a private post and we'll see what we can do.

By the way, I have known JP for a while and all I can say is that the lady Captain knows her stuff. But good!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Braun Bay Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
... think Waldo Peppers II ... on a boat ...
Reminds me that there was a pontoon boat that frequent Braun Bay and sells all kinds of goodies to the boaters. He was doing a pretty good business. Whatever happen to him????