Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Grove84

Cool Moultonboro Airport - Winter Harbor?

We have our boat at Paugus Bay Marina , but on the weekends we head over to the Moultonboro Neck side of the lake as we enjoy it a great deal more - less boats.

I have heard that there is a nice area by the Moultonboro airport, anyone have some quick shortcuts to this point they would care to share to cut down on the travel time to get there and in the water?

Is there a sandbar there as my daughter and her friends prefer the shallow water.
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Baja Guy

The Moultonboro Airport is not near the lake. It's on Route 25 where it hits Route 109. But since your query also says Winter Harbor my guess is you have the old Wolfeboro Airport in mind. The Wolfeboro Airport may or may not be currently operating, others can tell you that. But it is on Wolfeboro Neck. You can see it's clearing from the lake on the right as you pass by or through the entry to Winter Harbor. I don't know what kind of traffic is in Winter Harbor but there is a public ramp there with very little parking at Libby Museum. Winter Harbor is a well protected spot so you won't get a lot of waves, but it's narrow so you might not be able to get a quiet spot to put down the hook.
Baja Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Lakepilot

Wolfeboro airport was closed a few years ago.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
woodynh

Default Blueberry Island

I was thinking someone also directed you toward the old wolfboro airport and winter harbor. I don't know of any sand bar but their is one nice cove to anchor in over there but it is usally busy.

Maybe they were talking about braun bay it is sandy there but unless you like loud crowds and getting there at 8:00 am to get a spot forget that.

My personal favorite in Moultonboro is by blueberry island although more and more people are showing up there lately.

It is on the other side of the bridge to black cat island if you are coming from center harbor.
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

The Wolfeboro Airport in Winter Harbor IS closed. Lots of boats now raft in Johnson's Cove which is adjacent to the old airport property.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodynh View Post

Maybe they were talking about braun bay it is sandy there but unless you like loud crowds and getting there at 8:00 am to get a spot forget that.

Its 4th of July weekend.. Weather is supposed to be Sunny and Hot.. There won't be any problem getting a spot at Braun Bay... I bet no one even shows up. (insert more sarcasm here!)
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
winnisummergal

Default Another option

Johnson's Cove is a great spot but doesn't have any sandbar. I usually just bring a float and that takes care of it. There is a great sandbar not too far away, over in Alton, between Sleeper's Island and the shore. It is right at the opening for West Alton Marine and is about 3 feet deep. Hope this helps and have a great time!

P.S. I'm super jealous!!! First time in 40 years I won't spend a summer at the lake
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
longisland60

Default Winter Harbor - decent place to waterski

We often head to Winter Harbor to do some water skiing and tubing when it's rough on other parts of the lake. At times it gets a bit crowded in there, but it's worth checking out.

Johnson Cove is a popular place to drop anchor and swim. The cove is about 2/3 of the way down on the inside of the neck.

The airport itself has long been closed and I believe that the property itself has been sold and is being developed.

Ken
(longisland60)
longisland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
NoBozo

Default Lakes Region (Wolfeboro) Airport

Here's a link to some info from September 2008 by Forum member APS. NB

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...8&postcount=17
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
ApS

Wink Get there "Earlier"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
Wolfeboro airport was closed a few years ago.
Developers cut down the forest (of "Forest Road" ), bulldozed the paved runway—returning it, again, to a grass strip...(one that's even more suitable today for an airport location!)

The cove you speak of, is known as Johnson's Cove. (It's misspelled on local street signs—go figure ). On older charts, it is termed "Ike's Cove".

From Johnson's Cove, there's no particular view of mountains, but properly anchored away from the sandbar, the wide Sandwich Range lies far-off in the distance.

Wow...just this minute, a big light-blue-over-white "Formula" just headed right past there—and quietly! (6:47AM).

Better get there "earlier": Old guys in oversized boats (who fly "the martini" burgee) get to the tiny sand-bar first!

ETA:
Yesterday (Tuesday) four kayakers (visiting nearby) paddled around this area at 9-PM. They are in Middle-Eastern garb—and I haven't heard a word of any European language.

(Except for the word "OK").

Last edited by ApS; 07-07-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Warning of "kayakers in the dark" near here.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote