Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default SeaPlane Access

Well I didn't know where to stick this one. But since this ultimately ended up effecting boats, I stuck it here. Sunday Morning, my wife and I headed over to Center Harbor for a little breakfast. After securing the boat and starting to come in from the dock, we notice a sea plane coming in. Humm interesting I thought, as he headed for the ramp and temp load / unload parking. I said to my wife " I hope everything is ok "...

Well it turns out everything was ok, the seaplane pilot and his passenger where just coming in for a bagel and coffee too.... Now the docks had some cruisers etc, and there was no where for him to go. Except to nose into the temp space in front of the ramp. He did and he tied up. Unfortunately in doing so he basically shut the ramp down... Had anyone come with a boat of any size they would not have been able to launch.

So this brings me to the following, I know that the seaplane pilot had the right to land in Center Harbor... but once they are on the water what rules are they governed by? And if this had been a busy day with a line of boats should the town worker at the ramp turned him away?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Skip

Default Seaplanes as boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
...So this brings me to the following, I know that the seaplane pilot had the right to land in Center Harbor... but once they are on the water what rules are they governed by?...
Once the seaplane has landed it must operate as a vessel while underway on the Lake. The only glaring exception is registration.

A seaplane is exempt from normal lake regulations while in the process of landing or taking off. This exception, RSA 270:13-a is what exempts them from the current speed limit regulation.

As always common sense and courtesy come into play when docking. If indeed they shut down the docks to all other users so they alone could enjoy a coffee and breakfast then obviously they lacked one or both of the aforementioned traits.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
NoBozo

A Seaplane can quite comfortably nose up to a beach and toss out an anchor on the beach. Center Harbor has a suitable beach. However, if the area is a roped in swim area ..or even near one, this might be another problem. I think swim beaches may be restricted to Non Powered vessels only, even though a small Seaplane might be an acceptable exception. Just too many rules to deal with. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I find it comical that they actually had to put an exemption into the speed limit law to allow them to take off. Um - -DUH?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Skip

Post Law was in effect for many years bfore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I find it comical that they actually had to put an exemption into the speed limit law to allow them to take off. Um - -DUH?
Actually that is not correct. Seaplanes (and helicopters) have been exempt from boating regulations under this particular RSA since the early 90s....well before the current law on speed was enacted.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links