Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Anchor/Raft Sites?

Anchor/Raft Site information?

Does anyone know if there are anchoring/rafting sites between Coleman's Point (Just past Elacoya S.P.), and Marker 48 (I think this may be Smith's Point ?).

Also, are there any safe anchoring loctions around the Camp, Round, and Kineo islands you could recommned, or should I stay clear becuase of rocks and other hazards? I usually hang my hat arounf Timber, Mark, MInk islands, but the aforementioned islands, look really nice and quiet !

How about Chesnut Cove down near Alton, is this a nice anchoring location?

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Dave R

I never see groups anchored in any of the places you mentioned. I'd think the area between Coleman Point and Smith's point, as well and Chestnut Cove could get pretty rough from boat chop or prevailing winds.

I'd be really careful motoring around Camp Round, Kineo (40 Islands). I've explored there but always stayed on the correct side of the markers. Does look like a nice place to hang out.

I often see people anchored by the northeast corner of Stonedam Island, but never a huge crowd. They are on the "wrong" side of some black topped spars, but I don't know what's under the surface there. Maybe that would suit your needs???

Another option is the Varney Islands. That's a nice area to snorkel. You can anchor right at the edge of the shallows and not deal with too much traffic or chop. It's sheltered nicely there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
bigdog (07-21-2010)
Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
jrc

I've anchored near Ames a few times, there are a few spots that don't feel like you are sitting on someones dock. That whole area is exposed to north winds, which tend to be strong.

I spent fours years on a mooring at Samoset condos (between Carr and Baisdell points.) Any wind with a north component would build up pretty big waves there, plus you are exposed a lot of boat traffic on busy days.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote