Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Vehicle Safety Check

Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron will be on hand this Saturday, June 26 to perform US Power Squadron vehicle safety checks. The inspections will be at the Wolfeboro Public Docks starting at 11 AM. The inspectors will be on hand to talk about the safety inspection and will be informing the public about the US Power Squadron boating courses available to the public. The vehicle inspection and the courses are more comprehensive than the NH DOS course. Make it a point to advantage of this free service and enjoy boating to the fullest.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Thanks

I am planning on heading over Saturday. Thanks for posting the info!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
NHskier

Any dates for inspections at other ports like the Weirs or Meredith?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Irrigation Guy

Not trying to be a know it all but, I think you mean vessel safety checks.

I guess I'll throw a dig at myself because I do hate it when folks refer to "fenders" as bumpers.

I used to have my boat inspected all the time when in the ocean and am glad to see they are doing the safety checks here. They sure aren't as popular up here though.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
VitaBene

Default USPS Inspections

I poked around on line for the inspection requirements. Attached is a PDF outlining the requirements by boat size. Below is a link to the Power Squadron's website regarding inspections.

http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/conductvsc.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf USCGMinReq.pdf (92.8 KB, 277 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-25-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
NHskier

Answering my own question, here's the pointer to upcoming vessel safety checks:

http://www.lrsps.org/VSCschedule.htm
Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Default Vessel Safety Check

Ahoy Mates!

Vessel instead of vehicle is the correct 'lingo'.

Thanks for all the input and links. I find the safety check a bit more informative and comprehensive than the NH vessel check. I took the US Power Squadron boater's course many moons ago before navigating the inter-coastal. Again, more comprehensive than NH safety course. The NH course have added materials regarding the NH laws not on the maritime books. Both should go hand in hand.

I'm surprise to see a number of state representatives as well as new candidates for state offices at the Wolfeboro docks. They saw first hand how safety is important and the camaraderie boaters enjoy. I think they found how important it is to have MP presence and that MP budget should be restored for safety. They have witness a number of 150' infractions right at the docks!

Here to a safe cruise!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
hazelnut

Went to Wolfeboro today and had the pleasure of having my boat being inspected. Happy to say I passed. The whole process was done in minutes and it was very informative.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Ahoy Mates!

Vessel instead of vehicle is the correct 'lingo'.

Thanks for all the input and links. I find the safety check a bit more informative and comprehensive than the NH vessel check. I took the US Power Squadron boater's course many moons ago before navigating the inter-coastal. Again, more comprehensive than NH safety course. The NH course have added materials regarding the NH laws not on the maritime books. Both should go hand in hand.

I'm surprise to see a number of state representatives as well as new candidates for state offices at the Wolfeboro docks. They saw first hand how safety is important and the camaraderie boaters enjoy. I think they found how important it is to have MP presence and that MP budget should be restored for safety. They have witness a number of 150' infractions right at the docks!

Here to a safe cruise!
Excellent work Nothing like getting them out of the state buildings and supermarkets, and witness people that are actually doing something and want to help. It doesn't take long on any lake to witness the real problems. Hopefully, their experiences will be related to others, and they can go from being misinformed, to legislators that can help out.

Kudos to all involved.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
elchase

Default Thanks to the Power Squadron

Brought one of my boats over too. As long as I have been boating and as well-equipped as I think I am, they seem to have some recommendations every year. The Power Squadron is a great group. Their efforts are most appreciated. I'm sure those who could not make it can still make a much appreciated donation.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
VitaBene

Default Inspection

Our old boat also went through the inspection and passed! Thanks to SBONH and Winnipesaukee.com for helping to get the word out. Special kudos to Tom Roscoe of the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron http://www.lrsps.org/who performed the inspections. He explained each step of the inspection and was very informative. (On his strong recommendation I will be picking up a handheld VHF)

Tom will look familiar to many of those that live or vacation on the north side of the lake- he is one of the helpful experts at Heath's Hardware in CH. Thanks Tom!

One of the things that I saw Tom note on several boats was that the blower intake hose did not extend deeply enough into the bilge where gas fumes would more likely accumulate. He recommended that it should extend to below/ near starter level.

How did the other inspections go at the other docks? Any experiences or lessons learned?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Our old boat also went through the inspection and passed! Thanks to SBONH and Winnipesaukee.com for helping to get the word out. Special kudos to Tom Roscoe of the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron http://www.lrsps.org/who performed the inspections. He explained each step of the inspection and was very informative. (On his strong recommendation I will be picking up a handheld VHF)

Tom will look familiar to many of those that live or vacation on the north side of the lake- he is one of the helpful experts at Heath's Hardware in CH. Thanks Tom!

One of the things that I saw Tom note on several boats was that the blower intake hose did not extend deeply enough into the bilge where gas fumes would more likely accumulate. He recommended that it should extend to below/ near starter level.

How did the other inspections go at the other docks? Any experiences or lessons learned?
Vita, make sure when you extend that hose it is locked down very very well. One reason many of them do not go down all the way to the bottom of the bilge is: if they become loose they can hit the engine and get entagled in the belts.

Special thanks again to Tom Roscoe, he did a tremendous job doing the inspections and educating boaters that came. I was happy to see how many boats actually showed for the inspection. SBONH has partnered with the power squadron to assist on getting the word out and hopefully do insepctions as well. There were a few representatives and candidates on hand to see how important these inspections are to preventing issues before the occur. Thanks to all who attended and helped with getting the word out.
Attached Images

OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Sat. at the Wolfeboro docks was indeed an exciting day. It was great to see the Power Squadron at work. It was also interesting to learn the history behind the process and how the Power Squadron itself became involved. Tom was a very knowledgeable individual. As I watched 3 boats get inspected not only was the checklist run through, but there was a lasting conversation. Noting important items. Ways in which the little things might be improved, such as a blower inlet not really being low enough. Or different techniques that can be used to signal distress during the day time. The most important part of this process was that there was never criticism, only helpful words and advice. Heck Tom even told one boater what needed to be done for his boat to pass, the captain, ran into town got the necessary supplies applied the 1 minute fixed, and Tom came back over check the fix, and passed the boat.

It was also nice to see some public officials down on the docks, and even have a conversation with them. Explaining the ins and outs of safety on the water, as well as the concerns that are becoming ever more prevalent on the lake. The biggest of course being the struggle to keep the Marine Patrol Well funded. For with a well funded Marine Patrol, the rules are all currently in place to make the lake a safe place for all.
OCDACTIVE (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Special thanks again to Tom Roscoe, he did a tremendous job doing the inspections and educating boaters that came. I was happy to see how many boats actually showed for the inspection. SBONH has partnered with the power squadron to assist on getting the word out and hopefully do insepctions as well. There were a few representatives and candidates on hand to see how important these inspections are to preventing issues before the occur. Thanks to all who attended and helped with getting the word out.
Thanks for organizing the day Scott.

Even though my Monterey (Picture #1 DK Red and white opposite the sweet looking Donzi) is only a few years old I was a little nervous as I ran through a mental checklist watching the other boaters get inspected. Tom was indeed very knowledgeable and gave me some friendly advice. Here was an interesting tip, he recommended a small trash can for my boat. My boat is a larger sized bowrider with a sink. His advice was not only geared towards trash management but he said the trash can could aide as a back up bilge in case of emergency as the barrel could be used to bail water. This was one of many tips that he gave to me.

I was really happy to meet Rep. John Hikel and Senate candidate Jim Forsythe as they partook in the days events on the docks in Wolfeboro. It is nice to see these guys familiarizing themselves with issues surrounding our lake.

I look forward to more events like this in the future!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Default Vessel Safety Check

This Saturday at Center Harbor public docks, The Lakes Region Power Squadron will be performing complimentary vessel safety checks. Starting at 9:30 AM.
OCDACTIVE (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
OCDACTIVE

Thanks BH for mentioning this. This has been added to the already scheduled Power Squadron inspections at Channel Marine and Irwin Marine. This will be done from 9:30 am to 12 pm to accomodate the public as well as those participating in the sbonh rally. I hear there will be some state legislators, candidates and other vips along to see how important these inspections are to boating safety in the lakes region.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-14-2010), LIforrelaxin (07-14-2010), VitaBene (07-14-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
robmac

Do they have a check list available for you to check it prior to the inspection? Sounds like a good number of boats will be inspected and I for one would like to see if I have all the needed items so that it comes down to helpfull tips.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Do they have a check list available for you to check it prior to the inspection? Sounds like a good number of boats will be inspected and I for one would like to see if I have all the needed items so that it comes down to helpfull tips.
Yes.. You can download the entire booklet even from:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s...ged/index.html

I should also have a few to hand out at the docks.

Please keep in mind, this is strictly confidential and if you do not pass you can run up to heaths hardware to purchase the items necessary to pass and they will allow you to do so. There are NO fines levied at all if you do not have the proper safety equipment.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
robmac

Only because I'll be on a trailer,I am very sure safety items are more than set since a coast guard several years ago but still like another set of eyes.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote