Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
pit martin

Default thinking of buying a 23' boat (always had minimum 27')

We are looking at buying a 23' four winns bow rider. Wonder if it can handle the "big Lake" ( we have always had a larger boat), any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks
pit martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Good most days

I think you will be good on most days on the lake. There are some crazy weekend days near the Weirs where I would not feel comfortable in my similarly sized boat.

Keep your bowcover on the boat when you run into heavy chop to help prevent your open bow from becoming a scoop.

I am not sure what year boat you are considering but the newer Four Winns boats look real nice and well built.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
pit martin (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
AC2717

I to have a 23ft Cobalt bow rider, it is a older one with a deep V hull. It handles the big lake great, I would not take a shallow hulled 23footer on the lake though, just my opinion, but I am of the basis as I like to be in the boat, and not on top of it. I like that when I drive or sit in the boat or even stand I am at least at my waist in all parts of the boat, most cases higher free board, when driving windshield is at my chest and I am 5'10"
Old 06-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Guy

We have a Four Winns 214 funship bow rider. We have to travel out to the broads side of Rattlesnake. In the last 6 years, we have only turned back once as it was "too much". We keep the front cover on as suggested earlier to avoid the bow crashing wave that could get you into trouble quick. We use the motor trim to keep the front of the boat up. If it is very rough we keep it way up to keep from getting wet. Also, I won't let people sit out front when it is too rough as you have to go to fast to keep the front up. Plus it is awful hard on peoples backs if you hit the next wave hard. I won't let people sit backwards anymore after a few riders were surprised by the hard hit of a wake.

The hull design can be a bit hard hitting. About 6 days a year, I wish I had a V hull. About 15 days a year, I am really glad to have all that space up front for carrying stuff and visitors. The kids and the girlfriends seem to be drawn to the front seats while riding. My folks and In-laws do a lot better getting on in/out the front vs the swim platform depending on the water height at the dock.

We spend a lot of time with the door and windshield closed while traveling in the spring and fall to keep RG from freezing to death.

If I had 8 people on board, I would not enjoy traveling past Governors at the Weirs on a Saturday afternoon. (Can't keep the front up at a low speed with 2-3 out front) Folks are going to get wet.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Knomad

We went from a Four Winns Vista 268 to a Four Winns 240 Horizon. The Horizon was more than able under most conditions. The Horizon hadles well under normal conditions but has a less freeboard so you may get damp when it gets really rough.
The Horizon seems to have more room. The only downside is the tiny area for the porti pottie.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knomad For This Useful Post:
pit martin (06-21-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
jrc

If you must be able to cross the broads during high north-west winds, I would get either a closed bow or a self-bailing open boat. A skilled operator can safely pilot a 23' bow rider in those conditions but it's not fun or easy.

If you can defer crossing during worst times, or find a way to avoid the area, then a 23' bow rider is a good choice.

I've been on a 37' boat near the Weirs, and people got wet. Its a wake washing machine you will get wet but those waves likely won't sink a 23 footer.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
pit martin (06-21-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
NHskier

We have a 23' Cobalt and slip it at Thurston's so deal with the Weirs area all the time. While I wouldn't say no to a larger boat we find the 232 to be good in most conditions.

In our case it's pure pleasure boating so if it's a real windy day with a lot of chop we tend to stay in more sheltered areas.

As noted, using the bow cover when particularly choppy can make a real difference.
pit martin (06-21-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Resident 2B

I am at the Weirs, right across from where the Mount docks. I had a Four Winns H230 and it was great during the weekdays, but not fun at all within a few miles of the Weirs during the weekends.

We went to a Sea-Ray 270 SLX, a big bow rider and we now enjoy the whole lake whenever we want. It uses more gas, but it can go anywhere on the lake at any time.

I guess it all comes down to where you are, when you use the boat and where you go with the boat. A good 23' boat will handle most of the lake, most of the time.

Good Luck!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
pit martin (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
trfour

Default God Bless and Keep us...

I lived here [ Year Round And boated mostly in An 19'er Bow Rider ] and was out in the Broads section of Lake Winnipesaukee in some of the worst weather that this Lake ever saw. I have had Many friends visit and in fact put their much larger boats in with my own pickup truck. The largest was a 41' Sonic SE High Deck... Now, true, when you come out onto the 'Big Lake' from Paugus Bay and the wind is blowing, you may need to tack, not so much as a sailboat, but to keep you're passengers dry in what ever prevailing winds...

If you want to do Lake Winnipesaukee in any boat, seat yourself, get every chart you can, helps to study them first and if you are human and pay attention, you will enjoy!... Just remember that we are land creatures First! If you should ever find yourself offshore and have to throw your hands up in the air for any unforeseen situation, it could already be too late. There is only so much that MP or Coast Guard can do!
We all love frogs, however sometimes frogmen have to search for bodies that never learned how to survive out of Mother Earth's pretence for those of us that normally breath pure air.

Sorry for the rant!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
pit martin (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
pit martin

thank you very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to pit martin For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-25-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Lots of good comments here. I input is this, if you have been on the lake you know what it can dish out, that is the most important knowledge you need to have. Everyone is going to have their own opinions on length. Myself I have a 18.5 foot Four Winns, and it serves me fine 85% of the time, the other 15% I just live with not being able to go out. Now having said, that I don't mind a rough ride, or having to take a slow crossing dancing in the waves across the broads......

It is all person preference and what makes you comfortable.

Now a 23' in my opinion, is the optimal lake boat for Winnipesaukee.....Still small enough that the wake isn't horrible for activities such as skiing etc. but also big enough to handle most conditions.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit martin View Post
We are looking at buying a 23' four winns bow rider. Wonder if it can handle the "big Lake" ( we have always had a larger boat), any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks
I guess it depends mostly on what kind of boating you plan on doing, and what drove you to look at downsizing from a 27' to 23'?

What larger boats have you owned?

I want to go larger at some point, and this weekend's wave action here made us think about it again. There are some decent boats that sized that do pretty well. I personally prefer deeper boats, which aid in staying dry and safety. Your budget may or may not limit your decisions.

Cobalt, Four Winns, Formula, Rinker, take them out and test ride them, particularly on rougher days. One thing that's remained mostly a constant in boating is mass and shape, something a designer recently reminded me of. The last twenty years, the boating industry has tried to shed weight as well as transom angle and deadrise, all in the name of hole shot and speed, and some benefits in economy.

You'll have to be the one to decide what's tolerable. If you go from the Weirs to Rattlesnake and back, on a busy Saturday afternoon with a 15 mph plus wind and be happy, you'll have probably found a winner.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
caloway

Default 23 would be perfect

I had my 21 crownline br at the Weirs on Saturday without a problem. The waves are a bit of a mess, but nothing it couldn't handle safely. As an added bonus, the shorter boat made it easier to get a spot at the docks.

If you want to take heavier loads, a couple of extra feet would be perfect. I really don't get some of the large hulls out there.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
pit martin

...thank you very much, everyone has been really helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to pit martin For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-25-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit martin View Post
...thank you very much, everyone has been really helpful.
Good luck with whatever you decide! There really are so many variables.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote