Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs up Looking for work?

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...?do=ad&id=1955

Here's a great job listing found right in the Winni.com classifieds. How about it FLL - this sounds like your cup of tea. If you don't have the NH Commercial Vessel Operator's License, fear not - the test is easy. And since NH has no income tax, you'll get to keep 100% of your "after federal tax" earnings! Sounds like a no-brainer to me. So, what do you think?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
TowBoat US (05-24-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
jrc

Interesting that you do not need a USCG license of any kind.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
TowBoat US

To captain a towing vessel on Lake Winnipesaukee, only the NH Commercial Vessel Operator's License is needed.
TowBoat US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Interesting that you do not need a USCG license of any kind.
I believe that's because Congress finally defined "navigable waters" as those involving interstate commerce or being directly connected to such waters with a usable route (rough translation). I believe it's called the "Jones Act" and has been discussed much better on other threads. USCG no longer has authority over waters like the lake due to that. Or so I understand.

Too bad I didn't see this posted last year when I was between jobs. It would have been a long-shot for my skill level but definitly worth an interview!

Good luck to anyone who applies.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
NoBozo

A couple of years ago I was talking to the proprietors of the Milly B (Hackercraft Ride Boat) in Wolfeboro about "Licenses." According to them a Coast guard License is NOT required.

In Salt Water a USCG "Six Pack"would be required for this boat. A "Six Pack" is the minimum USCG license required to carry up to Six (Paying) Passengers.

According to an MP I talked with ...The Captain of the Mt.Washington is NOT required to have USCG License. Something about Jurisdictions. Just sayin. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
jrc

I know that you don't need a USCG license to operate commerically on Winnipesaukee for all the reasons listed. I just figured that TowboatUS is a national company and the vast majority of there towing must be in Coast Guard waters. I forgot that the Winni outfit is a franchise. They towed me in a few years back, great bunch of people, nice to know you can call them 24/7.

I wish I could take the summer off, it would be a great job to try. I bet I'd be a much better boater by the end of the summer. Of course the towing company wouldn't get as much out of it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
Misty Blue

Default Water Works

jnaughton, PM or call me 455-7178.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I believe that's because Congress finally defined "navigable waters" as those involving interstate commerce or being directly connected to such waters with a usable route (rough translation). I believe it's called the "Jones Act" and has been discussed much better on other threads. USCG no longer has authority over waters like the lake due to that. Or so I understand.

Too bad I didn't see this posted last year when I was between jobs. It would have been a long-shot for my skill level but definitly worth an interview!

Good luck to anyone who applies.
With the slippery slope the abuse of the Commerce Clause is on, anyone could argue that Winnipesaukee involves interstate commerce. I, "Winnipesaukee" use my Cobalt boat exclusively on Winnipesaukee. The boat's made in Kansas. Bam. Interstate Commerce. Power to regulate.

I transport waffles from Georges Diner in Meredith across the lake to Wolfeboro, where they continue to Maine. See, it's easy!

Moving on, I do think the USCG should have jurisdiction on the lake. In my experience they are far better at their jobs than NHMP. Part of their job description is helping boaters who need help!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
Moving on, I do think the USCG should have jurisdiction on the lake. In my experience they are far better at their jobs than NHMP. Part of their job description is helping boaters who need help!
I agree completely. When i was a youngster (1958) on Greenwood Lake, New York.... the southern half of the lake was in New Jersey...a lake maybe 9 miles long and something less than a mile wide. The Coast Guard was there in the summer. They had two boats and maybe 6 guys..who spent the summer lodged in a local "Lodging" right on the shore near their boats. The "Reason" they were there..? This was an Interstate Lake.

They inforced the local boating laws....leaning more toward Safety and Diplomacy ..I THINK. I was never stopped. I was chased once when I exceeded the speed limit in the "Arm", which was a narrow waterway on the north end of the lake . I had a Sid Craft "B" Utility with a Merc 20H. Not exactly low profile. .....Noisy NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
Kamper

It's possible Congress was more interested in reducing the budget by acknowledging that the USCG hardly ever visits a huge amount of the inland waters. Depending on how things go, it's possible officers of passenger vessels may someday be required to obtain federal licensure again. I'm sure it would be a good point in more intensive markets for one company to advertise its captains have both certifications, especially where the state requirements are less stringent.

In the meantime, operators are probably happy with the reduced cost and hassles.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:42 AM   #11
Winnipesaukee

I'd scoop up that job in a heartbeat if I lived up on the lake. *envy*

Quote:
It's possible Congress was more interested in reducing the budget
Stop right there. You're wrong.