Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
znh

Default Low lake level?

Seems we all have acknowledged the water is pretty low right now, I know the State regulates this as well, do they have any plans to get the water level back up this season? It's getting really, really shallow exiting our marina, like less then two feet of water, granted it's all soft sand but seems lower then I recall in recent memory?
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
HellRaZoR004

Take a look at the following link:
http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis.../graph2015.JPG

Based on that chart it looks like we are average for this time of year. We've certainly had less rain, so they've had to decrease the flow at the Lakeport dam.

Where are you coming from?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Bizer

The lake's level is only 1/4 inch below normal for August 25th. The state does not regulate the lake's level, Mother Nature does. The state tries to smooth out the peaks & valleys as best they can. Unless there's a major rain storm, the lake's level usually goes down from here to February when the spring thaw raises the level. For a 15 year history, see http://bizer.com/bztnews.htm#lakelevel

Last edited by Bizer; 08-26-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As other have said lake is normal for this time of year.... All we need is a few days of rain, and the lake will stop going down and rise up a bit again.

I think the problem many people have this time of year, is that each time they come up to the lake it is noticeably down.... Its normal lake level always falls in July and August, and sometimes into Sept. Once we get to cooler weather, and have a few rain storms the lake comes back a bit....
Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts

It's raining, it's pouring...
I'm hearing flood warnings on the radio/TV
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Flylady

Default Low Lake Levels

I live on a different lake in the lakes region and the water has gone down at least 12- 18"s since middle of May. The DES site shows it is within normal levels, however not sure what they are using for their measurements. We have had two rocky areas that have never been a problem and are not marked (never have been) that two boats shredded their bottoms on in the last two weeks. Left 2 messages with the Dam Dept but no call back as of yet. It is my opinion that they are relying on faulty measurements where first hand view shows a different picture and need to increase the height of the boards in the dam as we can see the water continuing to go over the top.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
I live on a different lake in the lakes region and the water has gone down at least 12- 18"s since middle of May. The DES site shows it is within normal levels, however not sure what they are using for their measurements. We have had two rocky areas that have never been a problem and are not marked (never have been) that two boats shredded their bottoms on in the last two weeks. Left 2 messages with the Dam Dept but no call back as of yet. It is my opinion that they are relying on faulty measurements where first hand view shows a different picture and need to increase the height of the boards in the dam as we can see the water continuing to go over the top.

Would have to agree. If you say the water level on Winnisquam Lake is 100% normal your out of your mind(may be normal for time of year but not normal height in comparison to last few weeks). I can physically tell it is lower than it has been since my dock poles are marked and show it is low.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
znh

I'm tending to agree that while the 'charts' might show a normal water level for this time of year, the water line marks in the marina, at the docks, by the rocks, etc...all look much lower then normal...

Guess just have to be extra vigilant coming in and out of the marina...but it looks incredibly shallow. Depth finder showing 1.8/1.9 feet where it usually shows at least 2.5...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
I'm tending to agree that while the 'charts' might show a normal water level for this time of year, the water line marks in the marina, at the docks, by the rocks, etc...all look much lower then normal...
The problem might be your definition of normal. The lake level does not stay the same all the time. Look at the lake level chart and see how much it varies. It almost never stays the same and its on its way down.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Went through the Weirs Channel just after noontime and the gauge was showing 8-9 inches below full lake. I would also say that stepping off the dock onto our boat's swim step is about that much lower than the start of the season. Just my humble observation.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Went through the Weirs Channel just after noontime and the gauge was showing 8-9 inches below full lake. I would also say that stepping off the dock onto our boat's swim step is about that much lower than the start of the season. Just my humble observation.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
I was told by DES wetlands that it is not their gauge on the bridge and it is not accurate for the actual level. It is good as a reference point, but their "full lake" and the sign's full lake are different.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Smile I don't know either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I was told by DES wetlands that it is not their gauge on the bridge and it is not accurate for the actual level. It is good as a reference point, but their "full lake" and the sign's full lake are different.
when I went through I only glanced a couple of times at the gauge, and thought it looked about right. I did notice something about DES and a phone number at the top... didn't look at that closely to see exactly what it said. I do have the DES website on my cell phone and can check it as need be.

I had looked at the lake level this morning before leaving the house, and it was 503.67, which would put the lake around 8 inches low.
trfour (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #13
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The gauge at the Weirs Bridge will be slightly lower than the Weirs Beach gauge depending on the height difference between the main lake and Paugus Bay.
Attached Images

Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #14
Orion

Default actually above norm

If you look at Bizer's lake level web page, as of Wednesday, we were 0.10' (just under an inch) above normal. As other's have said, the lake normally does a gradual draw down toward end of season.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote