Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
RUGMAN

Default tritoon outboard

Anyone have any experience with Evinrudes 150 e-tec outboard, looking at tritoon with that outboard, saw a couple of comments on another consumer site that did not have great comments?
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
Anyone have any experience with Evinrudes 150 e-tec outboard, looking at tritoon with that outboard, saw a couple of comments on another consumer site that did not have great comments?
What year engine are we talking?? The 150 is a V-6 which is good. Believe it or not they are quiter than the V-4's. Don't ask me why but that is what I have noticed.

I have / had 2 Etecs. I currently have a 115 HO on my 22' eastern that has been trouble free since 2009. Its great on gas, plenty of power, quiet and burns very little oil (about 80 - 1). Servicing is only required every 3 years and winterizing takes less than a minute. It is a VERY user friendly motor and I could not be happier with it.

On my first Manitou tritoon I had a 2008, 250 HO. I loved that motor! Unfortunately I did have a few problems with it but will say BRP warrantied everything to well beyond my satisfaction. At first there was a recall on fuel injectors. I went through 3 injectors in 3 years. Then due to a flaw in the casting of one of the pistons, it blew. BRP stepped up and gave me an entirely new engine less the cowling in 2011. from that point on no issues.

Also there are very few places on the lake capable of working on Etecs. Thurston's is the only one I know of and they are / were great with me for all my servicing needs.

You need to make sure all upgrades and servicing has been properly done on the motor especially if the motor is pre 2009. You need to get a computer generated readout on the motor which will tell you everything you need to know and I do mean everything. Things to look for are any overheating whatsoever, rpm curve and proper servicing at designated intervals. Any and all issues are noted in this readout and it is super important that you review this.Thurston's can do this for you on the lake. Off the lake, Winnisquam Marine I believe can still do this. It can be done right at your home dock with a laptop also by a certified tech with the proper BRP software. Setup is also critical, BRP certifed fuel lines must be used, proper in line fuel water separator and no wing nut connections on batteries are just an example of critical setup items!

I have no problem recommending an Etec as long as all the setup and servicing has been properly done by an Etec certified tech.

Good luck!

Dan
RUGMAN (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
KarmaGirl

We have an eTec on our 23' Manitou tritoon. Great power, we can pull skiers of all sizes with a full boat of people. And yes, service and winterizing are a breeze. We had the 300hour service (first one) done last year by Thurston. Engine is a 2008. Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarmaGirl For This Useful Post:
RUGMAN (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
RUGMAN

Default Tri toon outboard

Yes, Looking at a 150 e-tec from Thurstons on a Tri-toon. Thanks for the great input, still new to boating.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
ursa minor

Not a pontoon but love the 90 E-Tec on our Whaler. Self winterizing, starts instantly whether it's been 6 minutes or 6 months since its last start. Smooth, quiet and wicked fast!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Go For It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
Yes, Looking at a 150 e-tec from Thurstons on a Tri-toon.
If that's the case, your in great hands and I say go for it!

Good Luck!

Dan
Island-Ho (08-21-2015)