Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
glastron guy

Default Rocks near spindle point

I was going through the area between eagle island and spindle point heading back to Meredith on Sunday and I hit what I guess was a rock just about even with the marker at spindle point. Took a chunk out of the skeg and ruined one of the props. Just wondering has anyone else had any issues in this area? I was definitely in the right area as far as the marker goes and have gone through there many times without a problem. Marina said I could have hit a submerged log or dock post?
glastron guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

I went through that way a couple of weeks of ago. I am always leery about going that way with my boat. After your comment I think I will stick to the other side of Eagle Island. After all it is only a few minutes longer.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Rich

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Were you close to a marker, could it have drifted off of it's intended spot?

Could you put a marker on a google map and show us where you think you were when you hit something?
Old 08-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Are you sure you were on the right side? Where were you in relation to the boats? If you were towards Eagle there have been reports of submerged posts.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Are you sure you were on the right side? Where were you in relation to the boats? If you were towards Eagle there have been reports of submerged posts.

If there are reports of submerged posts, that seems kind of busch league that nothing has been done about them at this point which has now ultimately caused some significant damage to at least one boat. Original poster seems comfortable knowing the area and how to navigate it. I'd be slightly PO'd if this happened to me and there was knowledge of the danger...Just My $.02
Old 08-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
ITD

I see people cutting through there all the time, I follow the "channel" defined by the two black over white markers on the left and the two red over white markers to the right when heading in the direction of Meredith, I don't mess around near Eagle.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
HellRaZoR004

I agree with ITD, I've observed numerous people cut right through there.

I wonder if the OP was coming out of Hubbard (?) Bay?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
znh

The 'area between Spindle Point and Eagle Island' is a pretty expansive area. I can't imagine you hit anything in the middle of this area? Were you closer to the point or the island?

I always go between Eagle and Governors...seems the way most of the boats go around there from what I've seen?
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
ITD

I see people cut off toward the right of Eagle heading toward the Weirs, seems they are going around the NWZ, from the pictures posted here, you can see many shallow spots, personally I don't think it is worth the risk to my $10k+ outdrive.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Shreddy

Last time I went [appropriately] through Eagle and Spindle side, I got the chills as I looked down to see how shallow it really was and the rock bottom was CLEARLY visible. Had to re-check the map to make sure I went the right way, which I did. Needless to say, I take the extra few minutes to stroll around the governor's island side. But still, if it was a post that is unmarked that seems very unfortunate.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
boat_guy64

Default Between Eagle and Spindle

I live in Meredith Bay and have been through that area hundreds of times. I've never seen anything less than 12 feet going the proper way. That isn't to say something submerged couldn't be there at any time. You just never know.

Funny thing is that I almost never go through that area on a weekend without seeing someone go inside of the last black marker. Most days, you will get lucky as there are only a few rocks that are a concern. You'll have worse luck in September or October as the water levels come down.

I always look for the red marker with the numbered buoy as my guide as the others can be hard to see in the bright sun. I've been given the 1 finger salute twice this year and many other times while trying to get people's attention and pointing out the black marker. Always kind of makes me laugh inside.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
HellRaZoR004

It is extremely hard to see those markers in the afternoon/evening while heading towards Meredith (into the sun).

Last weekend I went through without a problem. Another individual saw where I went and then realized his approach was about to take him between the two closest black spars near Eagle and had to correct by coming off a plane prior to the markers and correctly navigate to the east.

I would love to go over there with a kayak at some point and really look around.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
glastron guy

Thank you for all your comments. I was actually at the last red marker maybe a little past heading towards Meredith. It is the one on the Bizer map right where it says spindle point. I was definately on the right side of the marker and I don't think it moved but I supose it could have. I was somewhat closer to the marker than I normally would have been because I had someone right on my tail and was unable to move over. I don't normally return that way because as others have said it can be hard to see the markers in the glare of the sun. But on Sunday I could see very well and I have a nice GPS so between the two I am sure I was where I needed to be and when I got back to the dock I checked the trails on the GPS and none of them showed me on the wrong side of the marker. I have always gone between Eagle and Governors but I had always seen boats going the other way and I thought it would be easier. We traded up to a 26ft Rinker this year and when we went out for the first ride I had the guy from the Marina take me through there going both ways to be sure. I consider myself lucky as I only damaged one of the props and it has already been replaced. It could have been much worse. Needless to say I will be going between Eagle and governors from now on. When we were going out a guy in a pontoon boat was way off course close to Eagle and when I tried to wave him over to where he should be he gave me a big wave back and kept going, go figure. I don't post often here but I read every day. Thanks again for you comments and ideas.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
boat_guy64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
It is extremely hard to see those markers in the afternoon/evening while heading towards Meredith (into the sun).

Last weekend I went through without a problem. Another individual saw where I went and then realized his approach was about to take him between the two closest black spars near Eagle and had to correct by coming off a plane prior to the markers and correctly navigate to the east.

I would love to go over there with a kayak at some point and really look around.
I've done it on my jetski. There are a few big rocks that would really hurt inside the black markers. Like I said earlier, the area is a lot more forgiving in July with a full lake. In October, those rocks are a lot closer to the surface. The water is definitely down about 6 or 9 inches already since the peak around July 4. I may just poke around that red marker on Sunday morning around 7AM before the traffic picks up and see if I can see anything down there.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boat_guy64 For This Useful Post:
glastron guy (08-06-2015), HellRaZoR004 (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron guy View Post
Thank you for all your comments. I was actually at the last red marker maybe a little past heading towards Meredith. It is the one on the Bizer map right where it says spindle point. I was definately on the right side of the marker and I don't think it moved but I supose it could have. I was somewhat closer to the marker than I normally would have been because I had someone right on my tail and was unable to move over. I don't normally return that way because as others have said it can be hard to see the markers in the glare of the sun. But on Sunday I could see very well and I have a nice GPS so between the two I am sure I was where I needed to be and when I got back to the dock I checked the trails on the GPS and none of them showed me on the wrong side of the marker. I have always gone between Eagle and Governors but I had always seen boats going the other way and I thought it would be easier. We traded up to a 26ft Rinker this year and when we went out for the first ride I had the guy from the Marina take me through there going both ways to be sure. I consider myself lucky as I only damaged one of the props and it has already been replaced. It could have been much worse. Needless to say I will be going between Eagle and governors from now on. When we were going out a guy in a pontoon boat was way off course close to Eagle and when I tried to wave him over to where he should be he gave me a big wave back and kept going, go figure. I don't post often here but I read every day. Thanks again for you comments and ideas.
Wow, that's too bad, next time I'm over there with my jet ski I'll try to find what you hit. I don't like getting too near those red markers because it just looks shallow around there, but sometimes you have to because of traffic.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
glastron guy (08-06-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
Phantom

Glastron Guy-- i want to be absolutely sure of where you hit.

Heading to Merideth, there is FL44 ( Red) followed by two more Red Tops. If I understand your post, you hit something near the second red top AFTER the 44 ?

If so, to the others, this is quite a distance from what most people use to avoid the No Wake Zone which in reality is off Pitchwood. but if enroute to Merideth It is simply a matter of giving that second red top ( which may have drifted off location) a wider berth. I never trust the markers to be exactly on proper location and cringe when someone forces me to cut one closer than I normally would.

Sorry to hear about the damage.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #17
Rich

It's extra work and not a perfect way to appreciate an area, but I have found if you copy a satellite image of an area of the lake and then boost contrast using photoshop or other image editing application you can often see shallow areas that would not otherwise be able to be seen.

This has helped me to appreciate some areas of the lake as places to be extra careful.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
If there are reports of submerged posts, that seems kind of busch league that nothing has been done about them at this point which has now ultimately caused some significant damage to at least one boat. Original poster seems comfortable knowing the area and how to navigate it. I'd be slightly PO'd if this happened to me and there was knowledge of the danger...Just My $.02
Apparently the OP was not talking about the area I showed.I remember a thread a few years back somebody talking about possibly some old markers a few feet below the surface.I believe they were somewhere between Eagle and the area markedup to where I show the boats.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
glastron guy

Phantom, you are right I was at the 2nd marker past FL 44 heading toward Meredith, pretty much through the whole area and heading into Meredith Bay. On a positive note it has been repaired and they told me only one prop was badly damaged so it looks like we dodged a bullet. I guess I'm lucky since it's the first prop I have damaged in thirty years of boating on the lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to glastron guy For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-08-2015)