Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
DRH

Default Caterer Recommendation Requested

I'm looking for a good caterer to cater a family party of 12 - 15 people in Wolfeboro on a Saturday afternoon in mid-July. We're thinking of possibly a steamed lobster and grilled chicken meal. It's a special occasion and we don't want family members to have to prepare the meal.

Does anyone have any experience with local caterers? If so, any recommendations (or warnings!)?

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me via this web site if you prefer.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default caterers.

Mike Love use to cater when he had his catering business in Moultonboro. You may want to ask if he still caters. You can find him at Canoe in Center Harbor.
Alec Ray of the Common Man chain also caters. He catered a lobsters/steamers with grilled chicken banquet for my class reunion. It was excellent! You can inquire at Church's landing to catch him.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Misty Blue

Default caterers

There is a family run catering business in Gilford (by Meadowbrook) called CURT'S CATEERS. Curt and Fam are old friends and I have only heared good things. His home phone is 253-9028.

Drop my name, Capt. Dave. Good luck!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
Frdxplorer

If you are thinking of Lobsters, Wolfetrap has a catering business. I am gonna guess that you might be able to find it cheaper, but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.wolfetrap.com/
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
Seaplane Pilot

I've heard good reports about Mountain Lake Clambakes out of Moultonboro (but I've not used them myself yet). Good luck.

http://www.mountainlakeclambake.com/
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Everyone mentioned so far is very capable.....let me tell ya' though....if you're going to ask a caterer to do a lobster bake for 12 or 15 people....be ready with your checkbook.......I would guess at least $100 a head
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
ACutAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot
I've heard good reports about Mountain Lake Clambakes out of Moultonboro (but I've not used them myself yet). Good luck.

http://www.mountainlakeclambake.com/
I used these guys for my wedding last sept...they were AWESOME!!!! and not very expensive. No more than 30 - 40 a head if my memory serves me...
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #8
JL Girl

Jonathan's Landing has used Mountain Lakes Clambake Co. for the last 3 summers and they do a fantastic job. Very organized and methodical. We have an end of summer clambake for the unit owners and guests. Specialty breads with gourmet dipping oils, nachos and salsa, vegetable and fruit platters were offered as appetizers during the cocktail hour. Menu was clam chowder; steamers; lobster; deep fried turkey; sausage; corn on the cob; red bliss potatoes; corn bread; drawn butter; broth; lemon;watermelon; Nantucket cranberry squares; not sure if they brought beverages or we supplied the following but think they brought it - beer; wine; lemonade; soda. We also had a second menu of all of the above minus the lobster and steamers. In addition we had a children's menu of turkey, hot dogs, corn on the cob, corn bread, chips, brownies, watermelon. The menus vary in price. We usually have close to 100 people at these clambakes. Joanne & Bob Brennan are the owners of MLCC. Tell them Jonathan's Landing gave them a high recommendation!
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default $100 a head!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Everyone mentioned so far is very capable.....let me tell ya' though....if you're going to ask a caterer to do a lobster bake for 12 or 15 people....be ready with your checkbook.......I would guess at least $100 a head
Wow! that is high. My class reunion had about 100 people. I think we came out to $40 a head. Better shop around.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
donnamatrix

Default Curt's Catering

I am sure all the groups mentioned here will do an excellent job, although I only have experience with Curt's. They are just terrific. Just my 2 cents
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
goosejr

No experience, just an FYI....Morrissey's Front Porch in Wolfeboro offers a catering service. Wouldn't hurt to call and get a quote......
goosejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

ACUTABOVE.....ok....using your formula.....say $35 a head...a caterer is going to send out a truck,staff and food for $420 for 12 people.Lobster is running over $6 wholesale...clams are through the roof this year...the food cost alone would be over$15 per person...now add 2 or three staff at $15 an hour.then the truck, utensils and 8% rooms and meals tax...15% SS and fed taxes on payroll......and maybe the caterer has a mortgage to pay....and workmans comp,truck payments.Sounds like a good deal.The caterer would only lose 3 or 4 hundred bucks to do that function
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #13
DRH

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions. I'm in the process of contacting the caterers you have recommended.

Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #14
ACutAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
ACUTABOVE.....ok....using your formula.....say $35 a head...a caterer is going to send out a truck,staff and food for $420 for 12 people.Lobster is running over $6 wholesale...clams are through the roof this year...the food cost alone would be over$15 per person...now add 2 or three staff at $15 an hour.then the truck, utensils and 8% rooms and meals tax...15% SS and fed taxes on payroll......and maybe the caterer has a mortgage to pay....and workmans comp,truck payments.Sounds like a good deal.The caterer would only lose 3 or 4 hundred bucks to do that function
ok just to set the record straight....
I had 50 people at my wedding @ 32.95 per person...
8% nh meals tax on 1647.50 was 131.80
18% service charge on 1647.50 296.55
for a total of 2075.85
that is straight off my proposal from mlcc... and that was last sept pricing....
I dont know what thier prices are now
Samiam I guess you could call and ask them if it would be worth it for them to do a party of 12 and let us all know....
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #15
Pepper

Wink To Acutabove

I think Samiam was simply trying to caution you about broadcasting pricing based on your function. There are a few members here who know a thing or two about these types of functions and how they need to be priced. The size of the party can make an enormous difference in the price-per-person, because there are a host of expenses which are "fixed", in addition to the food costs themselves. He wasn't flaming you, just trying to make a point. Don't take it personally.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:26 AM   #16
Winterharborway

Default CURT's Caterers

They are great! I had them the day after my wedding for a luncheon and they were fantastic! Everyone raved about the food! Good luck! Jen
Winterharborway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #17
DRH

Thumbs up Curt's Caterers

Again, thanks to all who provided suggestions in response to my request for caterer recommendations. I contacted several of the caterers mentioned in this thread, and went with Curt's Caterers in Gilford. (Thanks Misty Blue, donnamatrix, and Winterharborway for recommending Curt's!)

Wanted to let everyone know that Curt's did a wonderful job catering our small family party. We went with their grilled barbeque chicken dinner, and it was delicious. Joanne Chesley was great to work with, and the two wait staff people who prepared and served the meal were excellent.

Thanks to Curt's, a great party was made even better with great food!