Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Bathroom fan/light replacement?

I will be replacing my bathroom fan/light ?
The fan is becoming more loud, and I think ready to die !

Rather than replacing with the same type, I was thinking of purchasing a similiar unit, but one with a built-in heater /fan, to warm up the bathroom.

Question....... Can my current wiring handle a heater unit fan, or would this require a heavier gague romex wire to handle the voltage? Again, I'm assuming the fan/light/heater would all be controlled by the same switch?

Without checking, I'm assuming my current wiring is the typical 14/2 Romex.

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
billy

here is what i have for the Nutone fan heater. it is 12gauge
Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 9.52.30 AM.png
Views: 805
Size:  79.7 KB
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Kamper

To answer you materiel question, you should check the spec.s on the box or ask a clerk if you can look at the installation instructions. Frequently this info is linked on the merchant's/maker's web site.

If your bathroom has an attic space over it, I'd suggest you box in a 'chimney' over the hole in the ceiling. Install the fan unit on top of this chute. The next time you need to replace or service the fan you will not have to do any construction, it's practically plug-n-play even with dis-similar products. If there are women in you house-hold the fan/impellor may be jammed with deposits of hair-spray and dust. Scrape it off and there's a good chance your problem will go away.

I've never heard of a bathroom fan that includes a heating unit. Usually they get mounted in the ceiling which is not the most efficient place for a heat source. Not being a ventilation expert it appears that I have a gap in my knowledge though.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Heating Unit.

Usually is an infrared spot or flood lamp.

The biggest concern for household wiring is aluminum wiring. It was the norm back in the days. Today, because of their age and corrosion they are a fire hazard. Check your wiring, if they are aluminum, you can do yourself a favor and replace with copper wiring. This also brings the wiring up to code.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
pcmc

If the unit uses electric coils as it's source for the heating element, yes it will require a dedicated 20amp circuit.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
camp guy

Default Bathroom fan/light

This is the type of discussion that always gets my attention, and I will fall back to my usual answer. Before proceeding too far into the project, you might consider consulting with a NH licensed electrician for the technical details, and with your local Town Code Officer for any Code issues. Safety is my number one issue, and mixing electrical work and bathroom together makes for a recipe for trouble if not done correctly.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (12-28-2014), Jersey Ed (12-15-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Bottom line is this:14 gauge is good for 15 amp and 12 is good for 20.You need to add up all the devices on that circuit to see what you have and I would only use about 75% of the rating.Most likely you will need 12 gauge.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
RLW

Smile

If codes are the same here as many states all bath rooms are to be wired to a 20 amp circuit and #12 wire used. the reason for this is that so many heater type appliance are used in that room. That is the real short answer and oh ya a GFI circuit to be in the plug receptalces.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
Rusty

When wiring a bathroom you have to go by the 2002 National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70, as adopted by the National Fire Protection Association, Inc., and approved by the American National Standards Institute.

In there you will find that you need a dedicated 2 wire 20A GFCI Branch Circuit for the bathroom receptacles. There are exceptions to the lighting in the bathroom and to a second bathroom. This is all explained in the code.

Good luck.
bigdog (12-19-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
This is the type of discussion that always gets my attention, and I will fall back to my usual answer. Before proceeding too far into the project, you might consider consulting with a NH licensed electrician for the technical details, and with your local Town Code Officer for any Code issues. Safety is my number one issue, and mixing electrical work and bathroom together makes for a recipe for trouble if not done correctly.
... Not to be taken lightly; electricity + bathroom = potential problems if not done right.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote