Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Lavinia's

So my wife took me out for my Birthday last night. we were going to go to Mame's but my wife had looked online and it said they were closed on Mondays. (Found later that Last night was the first night they were now open on Mondays for the Summer. DOH!
So we went to Lavinia's. Ate in the pub section, corner table. Had Scott as the server. Great guy. Very friendly, which is always nice when you go out to eat. I have to say there was hardly anyone in the whole place. I had the Kobe Beef Meatloaf and my wife had the Salmon something or other. Wife said hers was great and the meatloaf was as well. Had two drinks and Scott brought out my cheesecake with a candle stuck into it. He refused to sing though stating it was his voice and would not be too entertaining. So I blew out my candle and had the cheesecake which was also very good. (I wished Scott could get a better singing voice. See how unselfish I am....) So all in all a very nice quiet birthday dinner with my wife. As we were leaving we were the only ones there so I was nice and told them they could all go home now that we were leaving...
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Natt

Default Lavinia's

We have been consistently pleased with Lavinia's including a recent rehearsal dinner gig.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
LongBay

Default Lavinia's

We enjoyed Lavinia's as well. We have gone there twice so far this season, both on Saturdays. The waitress we had was very nice and attentive. Food was very good and the stuffed olives they put in my drink were phat.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnisquamguy

I have been twice and no complaints here. Great food and atmosphere.Bar area is a little small if you have a large party and need to wait 30 minutes or so.Its all good!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Definately have to give Luke credit for hanging in there all winter open 7 days a week when everyone else was cutting back to save money.
The food and service have been excellent and we've heard nothing but compliments from friends that have been there.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
phoenix

They have a few outside tables with view of lake on a nice summers evening I have been a few times over last year and have never been disappointed
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

We noticed the outside tables and wondered how the bugs were, but I tell you it smelled great out there. I think the lilacs were in bloom or something, plus you could smell the smells coming out of the kitchen as the door was open back there when we left. I gave the cook a thumbs up too.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
JanN

Default Loved Lavinia's

Had a wonderful dining experience at Lavinia's last evening--food, service and atmosphere all tops! Husband had the Lobster Pot Pie and I had the New England Seafood Casserole--we couldn't believe how much seafood there was, especially lobster! Everyone was so pleasant--most enjoyable!

We have always loved The Corner House and have gone there every year for 30+ years, including this year, on our Meredith vacation, but we may have found a new favorite.

Will definitely go back, maybe as soon as this week with friends, before going home
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Life is Wild

Default Reading between the lines...

Wednesday evening at Lavinia's was a very nice experience, with a corner table in the pub and some live music by a lovely lady who, according to me, sounds like a cross between the Indigo Girls, Stevie Nicks and someone else who I can't put my finger on, but my wife didn't think my musical analysis was very accurate. She also liked the music, though.

The waitress's knowledge of beer was excellent, which perked up my rating of the place by several notches because there is nothing I hate more than asking what kind of dark, but not too dark, beer is on tap and being told, "Budweiser."
Unfortunately, not enough places in NH serve Yeungling lager from Pennsylvania yet, but in the past ten years its distribution has expanded from just PA and a bit of NY all the way DOWN the east coast into the Florida Keys, and I have strong faith that it will climb north soon. I think Sam Adams is putting on some sort of blocking maneuver down around Boston though, which is a problem.
(My wife had a blueberry beer, but we won't talk about that.)

While I wasn't overjoyed with the selection of steaks on the menu, seeing only two choices and opting for the cheaper flank steak at $25, I did think it was a very nice piece of beef and done exactly as I ordered it. Mame's has a better selection, and better prices, but the Woodshed is my favorite steak and prime rib place around, so far...

Reading between the lines, I felt that there is an underlying nervousness about the place. From the greeting at the door to the attentive service, all friendly and competent, it is just a feeling I get in restaurants when a manager is uncomfortable, new or worried.

Overall, to the average joe, the evening was great, but to my attentive, wannabe special agent, ear to the ground, intuitive and highly irrelevant, mostly useless ability to feel the mojo of a place, I didn't feel 100% at home at Lavinia's. However, we will go back on Wednesday nights because other than the aura, everything was fantastic and live music from a corner crooner with a guitar on her knee and a waitress who knows about beer and a chef who knows how to cook trumps everything else.

And by the way, in the car on the way home, my wife did not agree with me at all when I mentioned my theory about the aura...
Life is Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Wild For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (11-11-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee

I am not much on reading auras but I will be happy to give my 1 cent on analyzing and interpreting your aura ( it is not worth 2 cents, the analysis, that is.)

As with many places in the Lakes Region, most of the staff is, more or less, relatively inexperienced. To Lukes credit, he tries very hard to train the staff, including management. This is great and the staff tries hard and usually succeeds. But this relative inexperience coupled with trying to do well adds to the "nervousness," tentativeness, and aura you experience. It isn't really bad.

Just my 1 cents worth.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Life is Wild (11-11-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
JanN

Default Loved Lavinia's

Went to Lavinia's this summer and loved everything about it--food, atmosphere and service! It was a busy night, we had a nice chat with the manager and didn't sense any "nervousness". Overall, an extremely pleasant experience and we can't wait to return on our vacation next July!
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanN For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (11-11-2013), wickedtravelah (11-14-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
blacksheep

Responding to Life is Wild's intuitive reaction to being at Lavinia's recently - you could be picking up on the fact that the chef who was with Lavinia's since the beginning left in late summer. The front of the house manager, Brendan, who had also been on board since the beginning, also left in Sept. The current manager, Doug, came to Lavinia's in late summer from Canoe. The entire front of the house staff is new, the chef is new, and the management is new. Perhaps this explains their possibly anxious, eager to please, vibe.

Last edited by blacksheep; 01-29-2014 at 05:43 PM.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blacksheep For This Useful Post:
Life is Wild (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
Responding to Life is Wild's intuitive reaction to being at Lavinia's recently - you could be picking up on the fact that the chef who was with Lavinia's since the beginning, Jeff Woolley, left in September and has been at Lago's since then. The front of the house manager, Brendan, who had also been on board since the beginning, also left in Sept. The current manager, Doug, came to Lavinia's in late summer from Canoe. The entire front of the house staff is new, the chef is new, and the management is new. Perhaps this explains their possibly anxious, eager to please, vibe.
blacksheep, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for all the new info and I'm sure there will be many others very interested in your news.

blacksheep (11-11-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
blacksheep

I heard the news today that Luke D sold Lavinia's. I don't know the new owner, but aparently he's a local electrician and his son is a recent culinary school graduate. I wish them the best of luck - it's a beautiful spot, and the life that has been breathed into the business in the last two years has really made her shine. Looking forward to seeing what changes are put in place - always fun to see how the young and creative make their mark! Can't wait to see what they offer for New Year's Eve.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
wickedtravelah

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
I heard the news today that Luke D sold Lavinia's. I don't know the new owner, but aparently he's a local electrician and his son is a recent culinary school graduate. I wish them the best of luck - it's a beautiful spot, and the life that has been breathed into the business in the last two years has really made her shine. Looking forward to seeing what changes are put in place - always fun to see how the young and creative make their mark! Can't wait to see what they offer for New Year's Eve.
I wish them luck....such a great location.
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Greene's Basin Girl

I spoke with the Lavina's manager ( Doug ) this afternoon. He told me that the sale of the restaurant will most likely be finalized next week. He also told me that Luke will stay involved with the new owner's during a transition period. I spoke to him about the Woodshed. He said all the local restaurants are trying to help the displaced employee's. Lavinia has a opening for one full time kitchen employee at this time. The restaurant had also picked up a few of the Woodshed's upcoming functions.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
blacksheep

It's nice to see the greater community of restaurants rallying around the Woodshed crew. Lavinia's is a beautiful spot for a holiday function. It will be interesting to see the evolution of the new owners, and their spin. We wish them the best of luck.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
jetskier

Post Lavinia's

Hi all,

It is nice to see everyone rallying around the Woodshed.

My advice to the new owner of Lavinia's is to focus on being more consistent. We found that Lavinia's varied wildly over several visits. We had some terrific dining experiences and some really poor dining experiences.

Specifically:
  • Focus on the serving staff especially during the turn over periods. We went to Lavinia's during a turnover period and the service was awful...parts of the order were completely forgotten and the waiter left us sitting for extended periods.
  • Focus on consistent food quality. Again, this was often good and sometimes a big disaster. We tried the lobster pie once and it was essentially gruel.
  • There are lots of restaurants in the area, focus on your differentiation. Personally, I think that there is a dearth of good high end restaurants.

I hope that Lavinia's has great success under the new ownership and we will certainly give them a try after the transition period.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Rattler

Agree wholeheartedly with Jetskier. Went to Lavinia's early last summer, had a great meal, and declared Lavinia's as my go-to "high end" dining spot in the area. (BTW, there aren't many to choose from...)

Took some friends there later in the summer, bragging about food quality, service, etc., and was disappointed to the extent that I apologized to them about giving the place such a build up.

Tried one more time this fall (without friends) and was again disappointed. Lots of potential there but needs much more consistency.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #20
Den65

Default Lavinia's closed for 2 weeks

Heard Lavinia's has closed for 2 weeks starting Saturday 1/25 to redo the kitchen and I guess change the name and get ready to re-launch. I have heard that new owner is an executive chef can't wait to try it. Hope they don't change the bar area, love it.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #21
Eric Weiss

the "Chef" is a recent culinary grad... he is nowhere near Executive Chef status or level... I am.. 30 years experience, 3 countries, 4 states in everything from pubs to running 4 star, 300+ bedroom hotel restaurant and catering division... that makes an Executive Chef. Sorry to rag, and dont intend to offend the new owners, but...., ive earned the right to be called Executive Chef, the newbie is a Chef Di Partie with a bit of education.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Weiss For This Useful Post:
Heaven (02-15-2014), kayleigh (07-08-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #22
lovetheforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
the "Chef" is a recent culinary grad... he is nowhere near Executive Chef status or level... I am.. 30 years experience, 3 countries, 4 states in everything from pubs to running 4 star, 300+ bedroom hotel restaurant and catering division... that makes an Executive Chef. Sorry to rag, and dont intend to offend the new owners, but...., ive earned the right to be called Executive Chef, the newbie is a Chef Di Partie with a bit of education.
I find your comment extremely offensive. To go on a competing restaurant's thread and boost your credentials is disrespectful and tasteless. I'm not sure if your comment is to get customers to visit your own establishment or if you just have a large ego and is really unsure of yourself. Either way the only way it effects me is I will not be dining at your place. I am sure with your resume you could careless.

Good luck to the new owner and executive chef at Lavinia's.
lovetheforum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lovetheforum For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (01-28-2014), CGI3 (12-19-2014), Charlie T (02-09-2014), chipj29 (01-28-2014), Den65 (01-28-2014), Major (01-28-2014), SAMIAM (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #23
Newbiesaukee

Although I am not usually part of the spelling police, when the issue seems to be on the nuances of chef designations and education, it is Chef de Partie, not Chef Di Partie.

blacksheep (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 AM   #24
wifi

Let the hazing begin .....
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #25
blacksheep

The new owner is fortunate to have family support and financial backing, both things he will need in order to successfully run Lavinia's. Those of us who were involved in Lavinia's most recent reincarnation (over the past few years) wish him nothing but the best and are excited for his re-launch so we can visit and show our support. Word to the wise to Eric W - arrogant, tempemental reactive chefs are a dime a dozen - so common they are cliche. A dose of humility and a word of encouragement to this enthusiastic, fortunate kid might do you good. Someone else's success is no threat to your own. Peace.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blacksheep For This Useful Post:
Den65 (01-28-2014), Gatto Nero (01-28-2014), NickNH (01-30-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
phoenix

In reality all I care about is good food at reasonable prices. I don't ever remember checking a chefs diploma before I ate at a restaurant
Andrea.wiltfong (02-07-2014), Eric Weiss (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #27
Happy Gourmand

Default New chef

If I read this correctly, the NEW CHEF did not claim the title of Executive Chef, a poster did, perhaps making some assumptions.
Let's all give this new Chef de Partie a break and wish him well.
Executive Chef, Sous Chef, Chef de Partie, Great Cook.....all just titles....who really cares.... the proof is in the pudding and what is put on the plate.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (01-28-2014), Chat Noir (01-28-2014), Cindido (01-28-2014), Newbiesaukee (01-28-2014), VitaBene (01-28-2014), WakeboardMom (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #28
SAMIAM

Quote:
Probably the most tasteless post I've ever seen on this forum
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (01-29-2014), Charlie T (02-09-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Thumbs down You have an ax to grind?

Quote:
What you have earned my friend, is the most arrogant post I've ever read on this forum. Wow! Talk about insecure.
blacksheep (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #30
Den65

Default Hey

Quote:
I guess you missed that first word I put in there HEARD. People have to start somewhere don't they, just like you did 30years ago..............lighten up.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #31
Den65

Default Wow

Quote:
From another post:

I just want to take a moment to introduce myself. I am Eric Weiss. I am one of the owners and Executive Chef of the Woodlands Tavern.
I just want to thank everyone for all their support over the last 7 months!!
We have major renovation plans scheduled for Nov14 that will totally transform the bar, and porch areas. Much more, user/ customer friendly!!
I want to thank everyone for all the critiques on the forum, in-house and on FB. We are just a bunch of hard working people trying to make a living. We make mistakes. Everyone does. We do our best resolve any issues, so long as we know there is a problem.
Good, bad or indifferent, your opinion DOES matter! All i can ask is, if you dine with us and have a problem, let us know right away, dont go away mad, without giving us a chance to fix things!! We learn from you, the customer!!

Cheers, Eric
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
Andrea.wiltfong (02-07-2014), blacksheep (01-28-2014), BroadHopper (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #32
Winnisquamguy

Originally Posted by Eric Weiss
Quote:
All i can ask is, if you dine with us and have a problem, let us know right away, dont go away mad, without giving us a chance to fix things!! We learn from you, the customer!!
I have asked him several times when he is going to make the place wheelchair accessible. I have sent him the ADA laws that he has broken and I have not received a reply from him. Although he has shared with the code enforcement officer that it would be done in the second phase, he is on about his 3rd phase. How they won the "Golden Trowel Award" from the LRCC
is beyond me. That reminds me I need to write a letter!!

My vent for the day.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #33
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Small Businees and the ADA

WinnisquamGuy has a legitimate excuse. If a letter does go to the ADA, one would not want to hear what happens next!

The ADA was establish in 1990 by a Vietnam veteran! Pleas honor our vets! I hope Woodlands in due faith has a plan in place for disability accessibility. I hate to see a great place to eat falter under the ADA. There are federal grants available for small businesses to bring their establishment within ADA requirements. I have seen to many establishments fail to honor our disabled population especially our disabled vets.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #34
Eric Weiss

mike, aka winnisqsuam.. you have on more than one occasion, harassed us, insulted town officials and threatened to sue both us and the town of Alton. You have been informed by both state and local officials that we are in compliance as we have done 0 structural work to the building... everything is as it was.

As far as insecure, nope. I love competition. It breeds creativity. I only wish the new peeps the very best and a long productive run!

You all seem to miss what i was getting at. The term "Executive Chef" is just thrown around. Im sure, if the newbie has a good skill set, they will indeed, in time "grow" into the position of Exec. Its more than just a title.

ie.. if you went to Uni for Political science, you don't graduate as a senator... you put in the time and work up to it.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #35
SIKSUKR

Talk about opening up your own can of worms.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #36
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Executive chef is just a title... the chefs I know only want to be considered as great chefs!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #37
Mr. V

Quote:
Executive chef is just a title... the chefs I know only want to be considered as great chefs!
No, it is more than just "a title."

An accomplished "executive chef" must have the knowledge and skills that only many years of experience can instill.

see: http://www.hcareers.com/us/resourcec...4/default.aspx

Weiss made a valid point; he wasn't slamming a competitor, he was clarifying the correct meaning and usage of an industry term.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
goldengirl (02-08-2014), Heaven (02-15-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #38
Newbiesaukee

As long as we are, apparently, having a philosophic discussion....From what I can find on the Internet, including the above link, the term "executive chef" is a job description, not a title of honor or competence. The job description does require many tasks but it is not really a measure of experience or competence. In the same way a CEO is a job description, it is someone who performs certain functions. Whether you just finished business school or have thirty years of experience, if you do the tasks you can be a CEO. Now whether you are a GOOD CEO or GOOD Executive Chef is a totally different issue. You can be an executive chef, accomplished or not.

VitaBene (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #39
loony

Gee- And it thought all culinary students got a new skillet set when they graduated....

Quote:
mike, aka winnisqsuam.. you have on more than one occasion, harassed us, insulted town officials and threatened to sue both us and the town of Alton. You have been informed by both state and local officials that we are in compliance as we have done 0 structural work to the building... everything is as it was.

As far as insecure, nope. I love competition. It breeds creativity. I only wish the new peeps the very best and a long productive run!

You all seem to miss what i was getting at. The term "Executive Chef" is just thrown around. Im sure, if the newbie has a good skill set, they will indeed, in time "grow" into the position of Exec. Its more than just a title.

ie.. if you went to Uni for Political science, you don't graduate as a senator... you put in the time and work up to it.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #40
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
No, it is more than just "a title."

An accomplished "executive chef" must have the knowledge and skills that only many years of experience can instill.

see: http://www.hcareers.com/us/resourcec...4/default.aspx

Weiss made a valid point; he wasn't slamming a competitor, he was clarifying the correct meaning and usage of an industry term.
I understand the distinction, and understood what Chef Weiss wrote (though I think it could have been worded better). I am aware of what an executive chef is (my family is in the business). Regardless of experience levels, the chef that oversees all of the other chefs (Sous, [pastry, etc) is the Executive Chef.

You made the the statement entirely different when you added "accomplished". Until then it is only a title.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #41
wickedtravelah

I wish the new owners/chef the best of luck.
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wickedtravelah For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (01-29-2014), Lavinias Chef (02-09-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #42
Mr. V

Quote:
You made the the statement entirely different when you added "accomplished". Until then it is only a title.
You got me there.

I guess I'll just have to agree with you that a newly coined cook is the same as an executive chef.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #43
Pineedles

Ah, but what is a corporate chef? Someone who cooks the books.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #44
Rusty

Quote:
Here is your "chefs" hat, wear it proudly:

belly_button_biter (01-29-2014), KPW (02-01-2014), LakeSnake (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #45
LakeSnake

Default Wow

I was just going to post on the Woodlands thread about how I tried the place recently (2nd time) and was impressed with the progress made since they opened. But after reading the above all I can do is offer that Mr. Weiss best refrain from the "Airing of grevances" and/ or posting with a "tone" that can eaisly be seen as negative towards other local business. (Unless of course he is celebrating Festivus).

Rember Mr. Weiss - in this town there is always someone watching.
Eric Weiss (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #46
Eric Weiss

Again, i think most of you have missed the point. Perhaps, poorly worded, but i was merely try to correct the misuse of the term "Executive Chef".
In no way is this an attack on a competitor, their product or skill set.. as i stated earlier, best of luck an hope they have a productive run...

Fact is, what the Lakes Region needs is competition and friendly rivalries in the food industry. From what i have read over the last few months is that as a whole, the last several years in this area, the restaurants in the Lakes region have become complacent.... perhaps they should step up their game a bit. Competition = Creativity!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #47
GTO

Default time out

Quote:
Again, i think most of you have missed the point. Perhaps, poorly worded, but i was merely try to correct the misuse of the term "Executive Chef".
In no way is this an attack on a competitor, their product or skill set.. as i stated earlier, best of luck an hope they have a productive run...

Fact is, what the Lakes Region needs is competition and friendly rivalries in the food industry. From what i have read over the last few months is that as a whole, the last several years in this area, the restaurants in the Lakes region have become complacent.... perhaps they should step up their game a bit. Competition = Creativity!!!
Time to quit while you are still way behind. Maybe come up with a new screen name becasue your tarnishing the ones you have here. And why do you have 2 screen names anyways? I tried that years ago with my first thread of "Mr C's and I have been on probation ever since. sorry about that Don
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #48
Rusty

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, are you a "Certified Executive Chef"? If not, what education do you have in the culinary field other then "30 years experience".
blacksheep (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #49
Eric Weiss

I am a Certified Executive Chef. I attended the Academy of Culinary Arts, which at the time was the #2 in the US. I have degrees in Culinary Arts and Business Management....
Old 01-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #50
Pineedles

The American Culinary federation is 501c corporation that offers CEC as well as Certified Master Chef certification through testing. Many industries have multiple organizations that set themselves up as the go to source for job advancement through testing. Personally, one of my favorites Jacques Pepin was not CEC or CMC certified, but he was personal chef to Charles de Gaulle; which in my book is good enough for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (01-29-2014), Rusty (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #51
brk-lnt

Quote:

For what it's worth, I didn't think your initial message that set off this storm was all that bad. In fact, I found it kind of helpful.

For my wife and I, we enjoy trying new places. I've been to several 5 diamond places, and a ton of ghetto joints that would scare many people away. Much of it is "setting expectations". If a restaurant is billing themselves as having an "Executive Chef", I'm going to set my minimal expectations higher than maybe some place that doesn't call attention to the kitchen staff, or lists "Head Cook", or "Head Chef", etc.

I understand the perspective of titles being earned, but from the angle of the guy eating there, it's all about the food. If a 10 year old prodigy can hook up some foie gras and sweet breads like nobodies business, then I'm not going to question them being presented to the diners as an "Executive Chef" on the restaurant menu or whatever (yes, they might not have the business sense of a "true" exec chef, but as the diner, I don't care about that).

So, if someone wants to call themselves the executive chef they are, IMO, setting a higher level of customer expectation. If they can deliver on that expectation, then I have no issues. But, if they're still perfecting their craft, it might be wise to tone down the titles and leave a little more margin for error in a sense.
goldengirl (02-08-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #52
Alton Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
For what it's worth, I didn't think your initial message that set off this storm was all that bad. In fact, I found it kind of helpful.

For my wife and I, we enjoy trying new places. I've been to several 5 diamond places, and a ton of ghetto joints that would scare many people away. Much of it is "setting expectations". If a restaurant is billing themselves as having an "Executive Chef", I'm going to set my minimal expectations higher than maybe some place that doesn't call attention to the kitchen staff, or lists "Head Cook", or "Head Chef", etc.

I understand the perspective of titles being earned, but from the angle of the guy eating there, it's all about the food. If a 10 year old prodigy can hook up some foie gras and sweet breads like nobodies business, then I'm not going to question them being presented to the diners as an "Executive Chef" on the restaurant menu or whatever (yes, they might not have the business sense of a "true" exec chef, but as the diner, I don't care about that).

So, if someone wants to call themselves the executive chef they are, IMO, setting a higher level of customer expectation. If they can deliver on that expectation, then I have no issues. But, if they're still perfecting their craft, it might be wise to tone down the titles and leave a little more margin for error in a sense.
What set off this storm, at least in my opinion, is Mr. Weiss' poor judgement (intentions??) in posting on this thread. He did not simply explain the duties of an executive chef, he demeaned the abilities of the new chef/owner of Lavinias in an arrogant and offensive manner. And then he thanks a poster for stating that the poster doesn't care about titles, they just want good food. Then why the post in the first place? Mr. Weiss also posted on his own businesses thread that he wants criticism instead of guest leaving mad, yet he thanks a poster on the Ellacoya thread who stated they visited Ellacoya, were not acknowledged, and left. I see no good intentions from this man, only a pathetic attempt to further his business by harming the reputations of his competition. Having seen this in my business, I have no respect for his kind. By the way, the following may be of interest to Mr. Weiss

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...50/1015/news13
Alton Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alton Lady For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (01-30-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #53
Eric Weiss

So, how did i demean anyone? Again, i never critiqued any products, skills, service etc. I was merely trying to correct a misuse of "Executive Chef".

How am i harming the rep of other businesses?
I didn't serve their customer. I didnt ignore their customer. That was, that establishments problem. If their patron chose to leave and come here, post a negative review about another establishment, and say they came here a received better, how am i in the wrong?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #54
Glendale Girl

Thank-You Alton Lady. He is an executive chef according to this article. phew I am glad the mystery is solved!
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #55
Alton Lady

Quote:
So, how did i demean anyone? Again, i never critiqued any products, skills, service etc. I was merely trying to correct a misuse of "Executive Chef".

How am i harming the rep of other businesses?
I didn't serve their customer. I didnt ignore their customer. That was, that establishments problem. If their patron chose to leave and come here, post a negative review about another establishment, and say they came here a received better, how am i in the wrong?
How did you demean someone? You did not make a statement about titles, you specifically commented on a competitors qualifications

"the "Chef" is a recent culinary grad... he is nowhere near Executive Chef status or level... "
" ive earned the right to be called Executive Chef, the newbie is a Chef Di Partie with a bit of education."

If you had good intentions, you would have simply started an informational post describing the various titles of a culinary team. Do you personally KNOW the qualifications and experience of Mr. McGuff? Did you need to use him as an example to make your point?

As far as harming the reputation of competitors is concerned, how would you feel if the owners of each restaurant in the area thanked a poster with negative comments on your restaurant? It's petty and unprofessional.

Quit while you are ahead. A simple apology and a claim of responsibility for your lack of judgement or good intentions would have taken you far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alton Lady For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #56
blacksheep

Here is the link to verify certified executive chef status, which is challenging to obtain. Mr. Weiss claims status as a certified executive chef, yet he is not on the ACF's list. Dinner at Lavinia's, anyone?

https://www.acfchefs.org/ACFSource/C...ification.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to blacksheep For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (01-30-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #57
belly_button_biter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Lady View Post
Just because the Union Times article label somebody an executive chef does not mean the person is a certified executive Chef.

A bigger concern for me would be where did the liquor come from that the new owners of Lavinia's sold just before closing for 2 weeks. It is against the law to transfer liquor when selling a restaurant.
belly_button_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #58
brk-lnt

Quote:
By the way, the following may be of interest to Mr. Weiss

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...50/1015/news13
Why is it of interest? Because a local paper uses the title executive chef?

Once again, people seem to have this religious fervor about restaurants in the area. The guy had only a couple of posts here when he wrote that post, he has 8 as of the time I'm writing this. Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt and assume maybe he hasn't quite figured out the "vibe" here yet and might have been able to phrase his thoughts a little better.

Unless, of course, you've managed to go your whole life without ever making any pompous statements or saying things you might have later regretted or wished you had worded differently?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #59
Alton Lady

The point to be taken from the article is that Mr. McGuff has experience in restaurants from California to Connecticut. Mr Weiss claims that Mr McGuff just graduated from culinary school and lacks experience.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #60
Mr. V

Quote:
Here is the link to verify certified executive chef status, which is challenging to obtain. Mr. Weiss claims status as a certified executive chef, yet he is not on the ACF's list. Dinner at Lavinia's, anyone?
Brendan McGuff (Identified in the paper as the infamous Lavinia's "Executive Chef" is not listed as an Executive Chef on the ACF's list, either.

So ... what makes him an "executive chef?

I don't know him, he may be a good cook, even a passable chef, but I have to assume Eric Weiss knew what he was saying when he claimed McGuff was a "recent culinary grad," and even I, Clueless in the Kitchen, realize it takes years of experience to earn the title "executive chef."

Otherwise: "It don't mean nothin.'"

OK,time to don my "Executive Sanitation Engineer" cap: time to take out the trash.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #61
brk-lnt

Quote:
The point to be taken from the article is that Mr. McGuff has experience in restaurants from California to Connecticut. Mr Weiss claims that Mr McGuff just graduated from culinary school and lacks experience.
His Facebook page lists him as a graduate of the 2013 class, I would say that seems fairly recent, certainly less than a year.

If you look at the Facebook page from where he got his culinary degree, they have an album for a December 2012 class, and an album for an August 2013 class. If he was in fact in the August 2013 class that would be VERY recent.

"Experience from California to Connecticut" is pretty vague, you have to admit. Was he a busboy? A pantry chef? An expediter? Doesn't really say...

You, and others, seem to want to take what was apparently an accurate, if not less-than-optimally-worded post and interpret it as an attack. I didn't see it that way.

My guess is Mr. Weiss is probably a pretty solid chef. I wouldn't hire him for $1 to run a PR campaign, but I'm guessing he doesn't want that job anyway
Heaven (02-15-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #62
Rusty

Quote:
His Facebook page lists him as a graduate of the 2013 class, I would say that seems fairly recent, certainly less than a year.

If you look at the Facebook page from where he got his culinary degree, they have an album for a December 2012 class, and an album for an August 2013 class. If he was in fact in the August 2013 class that would be VERY recent.

"Experience from California to Connecticut" is pretty vague, you have to admit. Was he a busboy? A pantry chef? An expediter? Doesn't really say...

You, and others, seem to want to take what was apparently an accurate, if not less-than-optimally-worded post and interpret it as an attack. I didn't see it that way.

My guess is Mr. Weiss is probably a pretty solid chef. I wouldn't hire him for $1 to run a PR campaign, but I'm guessing he doesn't want that job anyway
For someone who said: "Why is it of interest?" You sure have done a lot of digging.
Winnisquamguy (01-30-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #63
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not everything gets put on a resume'

Quote:

Our young chef may have worked in family owned restaurants like so many you chefs start out... Not necessarily put onto a job history. No need to get the child labor police looking at the fact a kids works with the family for 10-12 hours per day, 5-7 days a week.

Regardless, I wish the lad well. Hope it is a success.

I hope now we can get back to food discussions, and realize that perhaps the chef-owner of the Woodland Tavern will get back to cooking, and leave the tartness out of his food...and his posts.
Bumble2249 (02-06-2014), Rusty (01-29-2014), wickedtravelah (02-07-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #64
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
For someone who said: "Why is it of interest?" You sure have done a lot of digging.
Literally 7 minutes spent.
Pop his name in Google, first match is Facebook account.
Under Education is the culinary school link, click that, look at their info and albums. 2 "graduate albums". Couple of other generic searches, and you have basic data.

If other people did any amount of digging or fact checking before spouting off this thread would probably be a lot shorter.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #65
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Our young chef may have worked in family owned restaurants like so many you chefs start out... Not necessarily put onto a job history.
The original post really only called attention to the fact he was a recent graduate, it didn't really get into his exact experience, though I'll admit it did *imply* a certain limited amount of experience, if you want to read it that way.

A followup post from another person seemed to be trying to make the point that since the highly esteemed local paper (OK, I'm being snarky ) labelled him an executive chef that seemingly worked his way coast to coast across the country that he must indeed be an accomplished individual.

You can debate the tactfulness of that original post, but I still don't think it contained any inaccurate or misleading info.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #66
Bigstan

Quote:
I never agreed with the first time poster is not allowed to have a negative 1st post theory, but really (I'm gonna be that guy in this case) ..... your first 8 posts are all from today, and 5 are on this subject. Your affiliation with the (ex / current ?) Lavinias folks is what exactly? That one exists is pretty much obvious. If I am wrong then you need to lighten up - you read way too much into things and are overly sensitive.

I liked Lavinias, but I think it's questionable to have a 'Drink the Bar Dry' promotion, as you link to in your article, as that sends the wrong message - come drink all the booze you can as we are doing renovations (booze doesn't have a shelf life in their location for some reason?).

I'll join the club that Eric was a tad bit uncouth with his original post, but I don't doubt his intent - I liken it to somthing like a master plumber - just because you graduated from a trade school does not make you an expert, you have to earn that. Eric obviously feels strongly enough about his qualifications that he seeked to educate us (albeit in a quasi-questionable fashion), but the intent of being educational is obvious to me.

I loved the William Tell Inn, and I loved the old Lavinias, I hope the new Lavinias has a great run as well. Went to Woodlands once for dinner and once for apps and drinks, and walked away happy both times. Not overly wowed, but happy that a place like that is half a mile from me and gives me an Ellacoya alternative - it's different and a solid value that is also right next door.

Let this thread die already.....the guy didn't have ill intentions, take him at his word and move on.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (01-30-2014), goldengirl (02-08-2014), Heaven (02-15-2014), jeffatsquam (01-30-2014), jeffk (01-30-2014), Lavinias Chef (02-07-2014), Merrymeeting (01-30-2014), Reilly (01-30-2014), WakeboardMom (02-11-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #67
Lavinias Chef

Default Hello from Lavinia's

Figured I would chime in here, being the chef with the burning ears. I’d love to introduce myself to the Winnipesaukee community — I hope to serve you for a long time! My name is Brendan McGuff and I am executive chef/partner in Lavinia’s. I’ve read all the comments about my title as executive chef. Titles have never really meant much to me. Here, I simply want diners to walk away with an entertained palate, having just enjoyed our impeccable and approachable dining experience. I invite you to stop in (we reopen on Saturday) and check out the fresh and local flavors of our enhanced menu. Feel free to tell me about your experiences here, and always be sure to say hello!

Check out some pictures from our kitchen renovation and house cleaning: https://www.facebook.com/LaviniasDining

Best,
Brendan McGuff,
Lavinia's
Lavinias Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Lavinias Chef For This Useful Post:
Alton Lady (02-07-2014), Andrea.wiltfong (02-07-2014), belly_button_biter (02-07-2014), blacksheep (02-07-2014), BroadHopper (02-07-2014), Broken Glass (02-11-2014), CDS-NH (02-09-2014), CTYankee (02-07-2014), Den65 (02-07-2014), gillygirl (02-08-2014), Greene's Basin Girl (02-08-2014), MissSmall (02-07-2014), Mooseyme (02-12-2014), Sandy Island fan (02-07-2014), wickedtravelah (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #68
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavinias Chef View Post
Figured I would chime in here, being the chef with the burning ears. I’d love to introduce myself to the Winnipesaukee community — I hope to serve you for a long time! My name is Brendan McGuff and I am executive chef/partner in Lavinia’s. I’ve read all the comments about my title as executive chef. Titles have never really meant much to me. Here, I simply want diners to walk away with an entertained palate, having just enjoyed our impeccable and approachable dining experience. I invite you to stop in (we reopen on Saturday) and check out the fresh and local flavors of our enhanced menu. Feel free to tell me about your experiences here, and always be sure to say hello!

Check out some pictures from our kitchen renovation and house cleaning: https://www.facebook.com/LaviniasDining

Best,
Brendan McGuff,
Lavinia's
Nice intro. Welcome to the forum and good luck with Lavinia's. I think you are in a great spot. I am anxious to dine with you, though it won't be till late spring or summer.
I'll be the guy who orders a slightly dirty vodka martini, 3 olives, please.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Lavinias Chef (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #69
Billy Bob

Quote:

Best,
Brendan McGuff,
Lavinia's
Well I don't know how the food will be but I have one word for you response after all that was written " CLASS "
good luck
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (02-07-2014), gillygirl (02-08-2014), Lavinias Chef (02-07-2014), Sandy Island fan (02-07-2014), wickedtravelah (02-07-2014), Winnisquamguy (02-09-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #70
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Humm.. tempest in a Stock Pot!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #71
Lavinias Chef

Default We can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Nice intro. Welcome to the forum and good luck with Lavinia's. I think you are in a great spot. I am anxious to dine with you, though it won't be till late spring or summer.
I'll be the guy who orders a slightly dirty vodka martini, 3 olives, please.
We can't wait to make you that drink!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #72
Lavinias Chef

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Well I don't know how the food will be but I have one word for you response after all that was written " CLASS "
good luck
We appreciate your comment very much. We plan on being a part of the Lakes Region dining community for a long time to come and cannot wait to meet you and everyone else who loves this area as much as we have come to.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #73
belly_button_biter

Talking

Quote:

Best,
Brendan McGuff,
Lavinia's
Welcome to the forum. I was hoping you would show up. You too have referenced your self as an executive chef. Is this a self proclaimed or certified title?

Wishing you the best at a location with a bit of a checkered recent past.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #74
jetskier

Post It is about the food!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belly_button_biter View Post
Welcome to the forum. I was hoping you would show up. You too have referenced your self as an executive chef. Is this a self proclaimed or certified title?

Wishing you the best at a location with a bit of a checkered recent past.
Enough with the title nonsense...virtually no one cares. It is all about the food.

Can someone post a menu...we will certainly give the restaurant a try.

Jetskier
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (02-07-2014), BroadHopper (02-07-2014), Lavinias Chef (02-07-2014), Merrymeeting (02-07-2014), Newbiesaukee (02-08-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #75
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default All about the taste

Let your mouth buds be the judge. To each his or her own.

I will try Lavinia when I am in your 'neck o' the woods'.

Whatever his chef title is, if the food is good, its OK by me.
Lavinias Chef (02-09-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #76
Lavinias Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Enough with the title nonsense...virtually no one cares. It is all about the food.

Jetskier
We are just putting the finishing touches on the new menu and will post it later today!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #77
Alton Lady

Quote:

Best,
Brendan McGuff,
Lavinia's

Wishing you much success!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alton Lady For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (02-07-2014), Lavinias Chef (02-09-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #78
MissSmall

Quote:

Best,
Brendan McGuff,
Lavinia's
Wishing you much success and so looking forward to visiting you in the coming weeks!
MissSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissSmall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #79
belly_button_biter

Quote:

Jetskier
"Nonsense.. no body cares" perhaps those who take the time to write about a pool-bar selling frozen precooked to reheat by line cook food as a positive don't care about titles. I care about credentials. Especially in this case as a short time ago I had such a bad experience at this restaurant that I swore off the $100 dinner for 2. A certified chef would excite me enough to try it again.

I've heard all kinds of rumors. I posed the question to the chef with hopes of clarification.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #80
blacksheep

Brendan, my husband and I can't wait to come visit and try your menu. We've been following your renovation progress on facebook and the kitchen looks beautiful! Congratulations on your new venture - you've got a fantastic spot! Keep walking in dignity, and respect will continue to follow you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blacksheep For This Useful Post:
Lavinias Chef (02-08-2014), Mooseyme (02-12-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #81
Bumble2249

Default Lavinia's

New to posting...sorry!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #82
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by belly_button_biter View Post
"Nonsense.. no body cares" perhaps those who take the time to write about a pool-bar selling frozen precooked to reheat by line cook food as a positive don't care about titles. I care about credentials. Especially in this case as a short time ago I had such a bad experience at this restaurant that I swore off the $100 dinner for 2. A certified chef would excite me enough to try it again.

I've heard all kinds of rumors. I posed the question to the chef with hopes of clarification.

Just try it again. I'm sure the additional visit will be worth the $100. Just my opinion..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #83
Den65

Default Looking forward to it

Quote:

Best,
Brendan McGuff,
Lavinia's
Looking forward to dinning with you I'm walking distance away.Love the bar area and the outside patio in the summer. Good luck . Please make an OUTSTANDING Prime Rib with twice baked potato and a nice vegetable and I'll be their every time
Old 02-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #84
wifi

Default Ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Looking forward to dinning with you I'm walking distance away.Love the bar area and the outside patio in the summer. Good luck . Please make an OUTSTANDING Prime Rib with twice baked potato and a nice vegetable and I'll be their every time
With the loss of the Woodshed, I'm looking for the "outstanding prime rib", fairly local to me. Would be a good niche.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #85
Lavinias Chef

Quote:
We are just putting the finishing touches on the new menu and will post it later today!
Here's the menu beginning tonight:
http://on.fb.me/1lcqCYh
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lavinias Chef For This Useful Post:
Broken Glass (02-11-2014), jetskier (02-08-2014), MissSmall (02-08-2014), Newbiesaukee (02-08-2014), surfnsnow (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #86
goldengirl

Default Take a breath

First reaction to this thread was "ridiculous". It starts out discussing a change of hands in a restaurant and ends up focusing on one unpopular comment a member makes. The entire thread turned into an unwarranted attack on Eric for clarifying a title. Sometimes it's just best to let a comment slide.

I'd love to hear more about Lavinia's as it opens up under new ownership. And perhaps some of the more frequent commenters could take a breath before they attack and allow the forum to be a little more friendly.
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldengirl For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (02-08-2014), Life is Wild (02-10-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #87
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl View Post
First reaction to this thread was "ridiculous". It starts out discussing a change of hands in a restaurant and ends up focusing on one unpopular comment a member makes. The entire thread turned into an unwarranted attack on Eric for clarifying a title. Sometimes it's just best to let a comment slide.

I'd love to hear more about Lavinia's as it opens up under new ownership. And perhaps some of the more frequent commenters could take a breath before they attack and allow the forum to be a little more friendly.
I have to take issue with you that Eric was the victum of an "unwarranted attack".His unprovoked criticism of a fellow chef was unprofessional and disrespectful and the first time it has ever been done on this forum.
He certainly has the right to brag about his experience and accomplishments but to do it in order to demean someone else in the business was uncalled for.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-08-2014), Bumble2249 (02-10-2014), Gatto Nero (02-12-2014), gillygirl (02-08-2014), Heading4thelake (02-08-2014), Nagigator (02-08-2014), Newbiesaukee (02-08-2014), NoBozo (02-08-2014), Rusty (02-08-2014), Winnisquamguy (02-09-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #88
Den65

Default Tonight

Quote:
Went over tonight and had the skirt steak and the wife had the burger and I have to say it was very good. Had the clam chowder for an app and the wife had the house salad (love the cherries in it) and both tasted great. The service was good and most of the staff I have seen before all in all a good experience. Bring on that prime rib on a Friday and Saturday special and you got me. Still love the bar area. Good soft opening glad I went, I'll be back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #89
Lavinias Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Went over tonight and had the skirt steak and the wife had the burger and I have to say it was very good. Had the clam chowder for an app and the wife had the house salad (love the cherries in it) and both tasted great. The service was good and most of the staff I have seen before all in all a good experience. Bring on that prime rib on a Friday and Saturday special and you got me. Still love the bar area. Good soft opening glad I went, I'll be back.
Thanks for the kind words and prime rib suggestion!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #90
lovetheforum

Quote:
$18 for a pulled pork sandwich! Yikes!
lovetheforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #91
Greene's Basin Girl

The prices seem a bit high,but so are the food prices at the supermarket. I bought ground beef on Friday at Heath's ( their meat is wonderful ) in a Center Harbor. Prices were- 85% lean $4.99/lb. and 90% lean $5.99/lb. I am glad their meat sale is Wednesday. I can see why restaurants have to charge prices that are a bit high.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #92
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheforum View Post
$18 for a pulled pork sandwich! Yikes!
$16 burger is an ouch also.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #93
phoenix

would agree . to survive the non nine months that tourist are around a restaurant needs a draw. A good bar scene , good food at reasonable prices, something unique like woodshed was. I hope it works out but yes to me seems high .
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #94
Life is Wild

Default Chef in the mix

It is awesome that Lavinia's Chef has joined into the discussion. Otherwise, all our criticism and praise would be just another semi-useful way for people to vent and for some to decide whether or not they want to eat there. Now that the chef has bravely entered in, we can go somewhere.

I agree. Prime rib is a serious boon to a menu around here.
Life is Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Wild For This Useful Post:
Lavinias Chef (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #95
Lavinias Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is Wild View Post
It is awesome that Lavinia's Chef has joined into the discussion. Otherwise, all our criticism and praise would be just another semi-useful way for people to vent and for some to decide whether or not they want to eat there. Now that the chef has bravely entered in, we can go somewhere.

I agree. Prime rib is a serious boon to a menu around here.
So happy to be here (both in the kitchen and on this forum!)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #96
jetskier

Post Suggestions

Quote:
So happy to be here (both in the kitchen and on this forum!)
Lavinia's has had the reputation of being expensive and providing variable service/quality. As such, the baseline perception of the menu by most will be that it is a bit pricey. In fact this may not be the case based upon portions, food quality and service. The only way to know is to actually try it.

The menu seems a bit limited (perhaps to maintain quality) and it does not have what I would call "signature items". Pulled pork sandwiches, burgers and fish & chips are lower fare dining and readily available in the area. Yet, they comprise a high percentage of the menu offerings.

So, the question is where in the overall ecosystem does Lavinia's want to fit? Personally, I think that there is a dearth of high end options in the lakes region. I am sure that the members of this forum will be happy to give you their feedback. Perhaps, you might solicit suggestions for dishes as a way to test the market. I would suggest that you add a baked brie starter to the menu...that is always hard to find in the lakes region. ...and don't get me started on wines...

Jetskier
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #97
Shore Driver

Quote:
Lavinia's has had the reputation of being expensive and providing variable service/quality. As such, the baseline perception of the menu by most will be that it is a bit pricey. In fact this may not be the case based upon portions, food quality and service. The only way to know is to actually try it.

The menu seems a bit limited (perhaps to maintain quality) and it does not have what I would call "signature items". Pulled pork sandwiches, burgers and fish & chips are lower fare dining and readily available in the area. Yet, they comprise a high percentage of the menu offerings.

So, the question is where in the overall ecosystem does Lavinia's want to fit? Personally, I think that there is a dearth of high end options in the lakes region. I am sure that the members of this forum will be happy to give you their feedback. Perhaps, you might solicit suggestions for dishes as a way to test the market. I would suggest that you add a baked brie starter to the menu...that is always hard to find in the lakes region. ...and don't get me started on wines...

Jetskier
You make a good point here. Tavern 27/Ray started off doing just that on here. He is the benchmark for soliciting feedback on this forum and then going on to great success.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #98
Pineedles

Default Coe House

Just a little reminder of the historical significance of Lavinia's and it's namesake from the Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society's archives.

"John Coe was born in Durham, New Hampshire on November 3, 1797. He was one of eight children whose genealogy dates back to England in the sixteenth century. He was educated in the common schools of the town and worked for his brother in a country store. About 1819, John Coe moved to Center Harbor and purchased his own store in town where he bought, sold, and bartered for articles in common use at that time.

Mr. Coe was united in marriage with Lavinia T. Senter, the pretty daughter of Samuel and Lettice Senter, owners of the Senter House Hotel overlooking Center Harbor Bay. As was the custom of the day, the institution of marriage was “cried in church” by the uncle of the bride, he being Town Clerk at the time. The next step was building their home, and the site selected was the one with the most extended view of the surrounding mountains and the “Great Pond” (Lake Winnipesaukee) as it was called by the early settlers.

Today, the famous house John & Lavinia built is a popular restaurant."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-23-2014), inquiring one (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #99
Bumble2249

The lobster pound has an unbelievable prime rib meal on Sat nights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #100
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
The lobster pound has an unbelievable prime rib meal on Sat nights!
It would be great if it was every night, like the Woodshed had...

I would like to go on a whim, not on a specified night.
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (03-06-2014)