Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Grady223

Default Charities

Our family has a Christmas tradition where the adults' names go into a hat and we each pull a name and give that person a gift. This year we have decided that instead of giving gifts, we would make a donation to that person's chosen charity.

I would like my charity to benefit the health and well being of Lake Winnipesaukee. The only thing I can find is the Lakes Region Conservation Trust, but it is not dedicated to the Lake and seems to be more concerned with land conservation versus Lake health. Anyone have anyother info on it?

Any other suggestions?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
fatlazyless

From the entryway at www.stvdplaconia.com, which is immediately next to the new Laconia McDonald's, you can look between the buildings right across Union Ave, and easily see the waters in Paugus Bay.....one cannot get much closer to the lake than that....for a local food pantry and second hand clothing-furniture-books-home furnishings-binocular store that definately helps to ease the high cost of living for a big number of poor local "customers."!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Not really a charity....but a good cause for our area.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/index.htm

or look around in here.

http://www.charity-charities.org/charities/NH.html
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (11-08-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Community Caregivers and VNA Hospice are angels.......have helped so many families. One of our favorites.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Food Pantries

Alton and New Durham have food pantries, Wolfeboro may. This time of year they can definitely use the help.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
winnitru

Default How's this?

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/unh-llmp.htm
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnitru For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (11-08-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I think it matters where your priorities lie. If you feel strongly about environmental issues, there are several good ones including the Environmental Trust.
If you are an animal lover, the Humane Society is overloaded and needs some help.
As far as helping people, there are far too many to list but we try to stay local.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association - Ellacoya

I am such a cheapie that when the Boy Scout-Girl Scout-Cub Scout-Brownies-Salvation Army or some other group sets up their table, or red kettle, right in front of the door at www.heathsmarket.com over in Center Harbor, I never give even a dime, and I always sort of slide past the table and into the store without making eye contact, if you know what I mean. In fact, I think I've got that down pretty good......it's the slide past the charity table-eyes looking down and walk right past - NH cheapie approach method, if you know what I mean! Sure you do, you probably maybe do it yourself! New Hampshire has a long history for individuals who are cheapies just like that, and you probably know one or two just like that, yourself!

Anyway, what about the www.lwsa.org for a lake related charity? It will put local kids from Gilford, Laconia and beyond, and adults too, out onto the lake in small sailboats plus help to build a truly beautifull sailing center in a truly beautiful location. It's the right use, in the right location, in the right time, and you can help make it happen! I'm even thinking about contributing myself, but will probably never get around to it, if you know what I mean! How's about you? ..

Sure, the www.stvd.laconia, right next to McDonald's, runs a busy food pantry that gives away everyday eating food to help people out. But, food is just food, and sailing is sailing! So, which is more important; food or sailing? The answer is DEFINATELY SAILING! Sailing is much more important than food, because one can always go to the truckload meat sale over at www.heathsmarket.com and load up on big thick New York sirloins for just 1.99/lb and totally fill the freezer with them, however sailing is a more precious commodity than food, even NY sirloins! The summer goes by fast, and without the opportunity to learn sailing at the www.lwsa.org, it will just never happen for many kids and adults. All that great big lake out there, all that wind, all that very sailing happening place and so many who live so close never-ever get to see it, or do it, or even care about it.

And hey, who knows, maybe that over-priced $37-RV State Campground park at Ellacoya will just dry up and go away, and then all that nice flat land can be turned into a destination Ellacoya Tennis Center......but that's a new project for some time in the future....like the deep future...after all....with just one big 32"-11hp snowthrower....all the tennis courts could be used right thru the winter. There just ain't no good reason why people could not be playing tennis outside in the 20-degrees-day weather of January and February......ain't no good reason why not ... except that I'm running off-topic here!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-07-2010 at 08:49 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
songkrai

Be thankful for your bounties.

And a donation here helps those who have protected our freedoms here in New Hampshire.

Donation: HOME
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Lakesrider

I thought the original post was about looking for a charity that keeps up the Lake environmentally.

But if anyone is looking to donate, Please, Please don't forget the troops this Christmas. I make up dozens of boxes just after Thanksgiving. I have had to cut down a bit due to not being rich and all, but I still get some out. Only about $10.00 per box. ( White or gray socks, foot powder, disposable razors, toothpaste, stamps, phone cards etc. Nothing edible or melt-able.) Last year I sent out shooting gloves and shooters yellow sunglasses....$$$$ Can't this year.
If you can't mail, or bring the boxes to the armory in Concord, you can donate to organizations that make up and send them for you.
You may think this is not lake related, but there are many men and women from the area serving. It would be nice to include a note and maybe a picture of the area in the boxes. Help them think of home. (The boxes are not given only to people from the Lakes region however)

Just another thought.....
Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
Our family has a Christmas tradition where the adults' names go into a hat and we each pull a name and give that person a gift. This year we have decided that instead of giving gifts, we would make a donation to that person's chosen charity.

I would like my charity to benefit the health and well being of Lake Winnipesaukee. The only thing I can find is the Lakes Region Conservation Trust, but it is not dedicated to the Lake and seems to be more concerned with land conservation versus Lake health. Anyone have anyother info on it?

Any other suggestions?
Just remember, You can't safe guard the lake without protecting what goes into it. By preserving the surrounding lands the lake is protected physically and aesthetically.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (11-08-2010), Natt (11-13-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
New Hampshire has a long history for individuals who are cheapies just like that, and you probably know one or two just like that, yourself!
I hate to keep butting heads with FLL but I guess my experience was quite different. My cousins in NH never had much but were always willing to share with someone that had less. My aunt could not afford to give money but could always whip up a fantastic cake or pie for her church bake sale. It just seemed like the NH way to help your neighbor.
Lakesrider (11-07-2010), Ropetow (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
Lakesrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Be thankful for your bounties.

And a donation here helps those who have protected our freedoms here in New Hampshire.

Donation: HOME

Agreed. As part of the Rolling Thunder Organization I have been on several occasions. I have also brought in some dogs...a long time ago that is...for a visit. I wish I could do that again. The guys loved the dogs coming in.

You see, you don't always have to give money. A visit, an Apple pie....It is all in what is in your heart and what you can give of yourself that is important. Of Course a few crispy bill$$$ helps too.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
I hate to keep butting heads with FLL but I guess my experience was quite different. It just seemed like the NH way to help your neighbor.
"The 2005 Catalogue of Philanthropy, which ranks states based on a statistical calculation called the generosity index, lists Massachusetts as the 49th most charitable state in the country, outranking only New Hampshire."

Suggest that you google "Catalogue of Philanthropy Generosity Index: New Hampshire" and take a look-see....it should be an eye opener....as New Hampshire will be #50 out of all 50 states.

Most everyone around the lake probably knows someone with an Audi sportscar, or a Lexus suv who help to prove the adage that "the richer one gets, the tighter one gets!"

According to the 50-state list from 2004 www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923050.html which quantifies each individual state, New Hampshire has a very high "having rank", but a very low "giving rank", and has the lowest "rank relation" at a -39. ..

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-08-2010 at 07:18 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I am such a cheapie that when the Boy Scout-Girl Scout-Cub Scout-Brownies-Salvation Army or some other group sets up their table, or red kettle, right in front of the door at www.heathsmarket.com over in Center Harbor, I never give even a dime, and I always sort of slide past the table and into the store without making eye contact, if you know what I mean. In fact, I think I've got that down pretty good......it's the slide past the charity table-eyes looking down and walk right past - NH cheapie approach method, if you know what I mean! Sure you do, you probably maybe do it yourself! New Hampshire has a long history for individuals who are cheapies just like that, and you probably know one or two just like that, yourself!

Anyway, what about the www.lwsa.org for a lake related charity? It will put local kids from Gilford, Laconia and beyond, and adults too, out onto the lake in small sailboats plus help to build a truly beautifull sailing center in a truly beautiful location. It's the right use, in the right location, in the right time, and you can help make it happen! I'm even thinking about contributing myself, but will probably never get around to it, if you know what I mean! How's about you? ..

Sure, the www.stvd.laconia, right next to McDonald's, runs a busy food pantry that gives away everyday eating food to help people out. But, food is just food, and sailing is sailing! So, which is more important; food or sailing? The answer is DEFINATELY SAILING! Sailing is much more important than food, because one can always go to the truckload meat sale over at www.heathsmarket.com and load up on big thick New York sirloins for just 1.99/lb and totally fill the freezer with them, however sailing is a more precious commodity than food, even NY sirloins! The summer goes by fast, and without the opportunity to learn sailing at the www.lwsa.org, it will just never happen for many kids and adults. All that great big lake out there, all that wind, all that very sailing happening place and so many who live so close never-ever get to see it, or do it, or even care about it.

And hey, who knows, maybe that over-priced $37-RV State Campground park at Ellacoya will just dry up and go away, and then all that nice flat land can be turned into a destination Ellacoya Tennis Center......but that's a new project for some time in the future....like the deep future...after all....with just one big 32"-11hp snowthrower....all the tennis courts could be used right thru the winter. There just ain't no good reason why people could not be playing tennis outside in the 20-degrees-day weather of January and February......ain't no good reason why not ... except that I'm running off-topic here!
I hope Fatlazyless is joking about being so cheap! Life is too short to try to avoid an organization that is selling something outside Heath's. What goes around comes around.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #16
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post

Any other suggestions?
To the original post.

There are "millfoil" committees around the lake. Not sure if these groups are town government entities or not. Millfoil is a serious lake issue.

There is the Loon group in Moultonborough.

There is Camp Belknap in Tuftonboro.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....According to the 50-state list from 2004 www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923050.html which quantifies each individual state, New Hampshire has a very high "having rank", but a very low "giving rank", and has the lowest "rank relation" at a -39. ...
From the link above:
Quote:
New Hampshire, on the other hand, is ranked last in generosity. Its Average Adjusted Gross Income is $49,720 and the average charitable contribution is $2,312.
I wonder where they got that number.
Does that include the family that has 2 boxes of cereal and finds the people next door has none so they give one to their neighbor? Does it include the person that sees a neighbors children wearing worn out sneakers in the snow and goes and buys them boots? Does that include the good folks at Forum Fest that buy raffle tickets (and those that donate items to raffle) so that winnipesaukee.com can donate to a local charity?

I am also reminded of my cousin that plowed snow to pay for his puckup truck while he was in High School and after one bad storm went and plowed the driveway and shoveled the walk of an elderly neighbor up the street. The neighbor called my Aunt and was upset because she didn't ask to have the driveway plowed because she could not afford to pay my cousin. My cousin said he didn't want to be paid but she needed her driveway cleared and walk shoveled so Meal on Wheels could deliver. He said "No big deal, that is just what people do". I saw that attitude a lot in New Hampshire.

I don't recall that in any of those cases there was someone "keeping score".
Old 11-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
Jmo77011

Default Great idea!

I have to say that I really like your idea of donations rather than swapping gifts! I know you want to find a lake related charity, but maybe some other members will consider donating to the VA Home is Tilton! They have 200 residents and need about $50 per resident to give them all some things they need, and then a Christmas gift that they want. Considering all that these men and women have done for us, I'd say it's a great idea! This is my pick for our charitable donations this year!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #19
KBoater

Default Wolfeboro places

Here are some places to give that support Wolfeboro

Southern Carroll County VNA/Hospice http://www.vnahospice.net/
Lakes Region Humane Society http://www.lrhs.net/
New Hampshire Boat Museum http://www.nhbm.org/

Life Ministries Food Pantry
Street: 228 South Main Street
Wolfeboro, nh 03894-4411
Phone: (603) 569-0202

Last edited by KBoater; 11-09-2010 at 12:42 PM.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

This is an awesome idea. I don't know how many office and Family Yankee swaps I've done where nobody even wants the token generic presents. Turn that waste into some real good.
Now to your question, I found the SIKSUKR Lake Preservation charity is taking donations.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #21
John A. Birdsall

Default charity

Last spring we had a request from a sea bee stationed in Afgahanstan. They liked the potatoe chips that came in a can. they also wanted American Flags.
They gave them out in villages and they were appreciated. I think our group got about 150 of the flags about 8" X 12" on a pole. and they were gone very quickly.
They also like sewing kits, and Items like that, stuff that is very hard for them to get. Oreo's are also a hit.
God Bless America, and God please keep our troops safe.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John A. Birdsall For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (11-12-2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
Natt

The WLNH Children's Auction isn't a charity but is an effective fundraiser that donates all to various local charities. A wonderful and helpful conduit with a good track record.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote