Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Marine Patrol

Cruising along the shore the other night and saw a MP boat tucked back in a bay. The officer was using binoculars at the time looking at boats going by.
All of a sudden, the boat exploded out of the water, lights and siren on.
He stopped a pontoon boat full of old farts traveling about 5mph that I recognized as a neighbor. Guess they were out for a booze cruise and the MP officer, who looked quite young, must have seen him raise a glass of wine or a beer.
Don't know how it turned up but it seemed a little extreme.
Stopped them in a very aggressive manner and I'm sure it scared the crap out everyone.
Officers I've known and dealt with over the years have been very professional but I'm wondering if, due to budget cuts, that they are using younger and more inexperienced people.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
HomeWood

You don't know what the issue was but it seemed extreme.

Law enforcement officers in general are damned if they do or not.

The pay for MP's is based on age? My agency doesn't pay based on age. If they do, I'll be looking at big bucks when I explore applying to the NHMP after retiring where I am. And I'll be an old salty dog who won't be so aggressive

No offense what so ever, but all I can gather from this story is that an MP officer was doing his job and not just cruising the lake for a paycheck. Is it possible that you are feeling a little offended for some reason because it was your neighbor?
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (08-08-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

While in Wolfeboro Bay for the July 4th fireworks, a boat came in hot without his navigation lights and the MP boat went after them just like you mention here.

I gotta say, I think I'd rather a bit more aggressive MP than the alternative, but I'm open to hear why I shouldn't be.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (08-08-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
pjard

Over the years I've been stopped twice by MP. Both times for very valid and pretty minor issues. Never been fined a dime. In fact, it was a free education. Why do so many people think Marine Patrol is the enemy?
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
DRH (07-21-2015), HomeWood (07-20-2015), secondcurve (08-08-2015), Slickcraft (07-21-2015), thinkxingu (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Open Container?

As far as I know, an open container is not illegal o in a boat the way it is in a car. There's sure to be more to the story. I hope the OP's neighbor will fill us in, rather than a lengthy speculation thread.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Greene's Basin Girl

Today we traveled in my PWC from Green's Basin in Moultonborough to Lakeport. We then traveled to Meredith and then back to Green's Basin. We did not see one marine patrol boat during the entire trip. I was quite surprised that we did not see any MP. It was a wonderful day to be out on the lake. One of those perfect summer days. Tonight we went up to the Castle in the Clouds for music and a great dinner. i do not think I want this day to end!! Next winter on a cold day I will remember the great summertime on the lake.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
rsmlp

Default Mp

we're on south point on LI and I can tell you that there are def way less MP boats out there than in the past. can't say as the lake is any less safe and can't say as I miss them.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
dave603

Could have been a number of reasons for the stop.
Did he have ALL his Nav lights on?
Were there kids aboard without wearing PFDs?

Although the siren seems a bit severe.
That being said, rookie cops are rookie cops, in a patrol car or on a boat.
Look at some local police logs, you can tell who the rookies are by the large number of MV stops they make. Just part of learning the job. After some experience they finally chill out some.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

This has nothing to do with Samiam's original post as I have no details regarding the stop...

Unfortunately the Marine Patrol is in a no win situation...people will complain if they are not around then others will complain if they are and they are and doing their job.

Personally I have had nothing but good experiences with the Marine Patrol and that is all I can really comment on. I'm sure there are a couple of young "badge heavy" officers that just need a little experience with dealing with folks on the lake and we shouldn't take offense unless they are out of line.

Dan
Descant (07-21-2015), pjard (07-21-2015), secondcurve (08-08-2015), Slickcraft (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
Chimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Cruising along the shore the other night and saw a MP boat tucked back in a bay. The officer was using binoculars at the time looking at boats going by.
All of a sudden, the boat exploded out of the water, lights and siren on.
He stopped a pontoon boat full of old farts traveling about 5mph that I recognized as a neighbor. Guess they were out for a booze cruise and the MP officer, who looked quite young, must have seen him raise a glass of wine or a beer.
Don't know how it turned up but it seemed a little extreme.
Stopped them in a very aggressive manner and I'm sure it scared the crap out everyone.
Officers I've known and dealt with over the years have been very professional but I'm wondering if, due to budget cuts, that they are using younger and more inexperienced people.
Sounds exactly like this situation from about 1 year ago:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ht=attack+boat

Clearly they are trying to intimidate people.
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
AC2717

driver can still have an adult beverage while driving a boat correct?
didn't they make a law against that a couple years ago and then repealed it?

this is a need to know
Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
driver can still have an adult beverage while driving a boat correct?
didn't they make a law against that a couple years ago and then repealed it?

this is a need to know
It is perfectly legal on a boat. In a car, not legal.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #13
thinkxingu

From the Department of Safety website: "Although it is legal to have alcohol aboard a vessel, operators found to be impaired to any degree will be arrested for boating while intoxicated."

Old 07-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
From the Department of Safety website: "Although it is legal to have alcohol aboard a vessel, operators found to be impaired to any degree will be arrested for boating while intoxicated."

I'm all for it and have nothing against it, but don't get offended when they pull you over for the MASSIVE target you have while sipping that 12 ounce adult bevvy. Again, I have nothing against it I would just rather not give them a reason to pull me over in case I did get stuck with an inexperience (or experienced) power trip of an officer. Luckily, I've been pulled over more times than I can count and I have had nothing but good (respectable) experiences (for the most part...knock on wood )
Old 07-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #15
SAMIAM

I wouldn't want their job, for sure. Traveling 8 hours in the hot sun mostly at headway speed is really not my idea of fun boating. Think some times they just get bored and look for a little action.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

The MPs I have seen this year have been older looking than in the past. I haven't seen any college age kids.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #17
dave603

Default NO Thanks, glad someone else wants to do it

$15.69 an hour and use your own vehicle to tow the boat!
Along with the physical requirements. ( too old to try a 100 meter swim)

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...l-trainee.html
Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
bilproject

Default pontoons riding with Docking lights on

It would seem that some pontoon boat owners think docking lights are headlights. Saturday night I watched 3 pontoon boats come up from Flashing buoy 3 running with docking lights on all the way till they passed my house by the mail dock on Bear. The last one at 11:30 PM was blasting a stereo and woke us up or I would have never known it was there. Those lights blind other boaters heading toward the offender and it is illegal to be underway with docking lights on. Perhaps this is why the boat was stopped. I see many boats stopped between my house and Shep Browns and in most cases it's out of date registrations, running lights out, clearly overloaded boat, or reckless operation. The MP always run down the boat quickly with lights on and siren if the boat does not respond at once. Nothing different than a police car on land would do. I think they do a great job and by what I see on a weekend I only wish there were more of them. Maybe if they ticketed the large sail boats and cabin cruisers moored in the Gilford area that have 3 year expired registrations they could hire a few more officers. I'm sure the fee for a 35 or 40 foot boat is quite high.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #19
Woodsy

The MP have a thankless job... They cannot win.

That being said I think they do a darn good job given the resources they are allocated! Tim & the rest of the guys do their best to balance out enforcement with education... no need to write a ticket when a warning will do!

Woodsy
AC2717 (07-22-2015), Descant (07-23-2015), Lakewinn1 (08-03-2015), thinkxingu (07-22-2015), VitaBene (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
It would seem that some pontoon boat owners think docking lights are headlights. Saturday night I watched 3 pontoon boats come up from Flashing buoy 3 running with docking lights on all the way till they passed my house by the mail dock on Bear. The last one at 11:30 PM was blasting a stereo and woke us up or I would have never known it was there. Those lights blind other boaters heading toward the offender and it is illegal to be underway with docking lights on. Perhaps this is why the boat was stopped. I see many boats stopped between my house and Shep Browns and in most cases it's out of date registrations, running lights out, clearly overloaded boat, or reckless operation. The MP always run down the boat quickly with lights on and siren if the boat does not respond at once. Nothing different than a police car on land would do. I think they do a great job and by what I see on a weekend I only wish there were more of them. Maybe if they ticketed the large sail boats and cabin cruisers moored in the Gilford area that have 3 year expired registrations they could hire a few more officers. I'm sure the fee for a 35 or 40 foot boat is quite high.
saw a lot of this July 4th
Old 07-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #21
noreast

This came up the other day, I was shocked the people I was with thought it was ok to leave docking lights on while underway. They're all long time boaters, had to go online to prove it, they didn't believe me.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #22
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
I see that often on other lakes, can't say I've ever seen it on Winni. I was anchored on a smaller NH lake waiting for some fireworks one night a few years ago and a pontoon came into the area with all lights ablaze. They then positioned themselves so that their docking lights were aimed right at my boat, blinding all of us aboard. A couple of polite requests to turn them off were ignored, so I briefly lit them up with my spot light. That got their attention and in the discussion then ensured I learned that the docking lights and running lights were all wired to one switch... They eventually removed the wire nuts (yup, wire nuts) on the docking lights to get them to extinguish. After the fireworks show, 75% of the boats that left were using their docking lights for travel. Good thing they were all headed the same way.

Edited to add: There was Marine Patrol present in a little aluminum boat the whole time all of this happened. They did not seem to care about the lights and only seemed to be there to prevent stupid drunk tricks, if I had to guess.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Meredith Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
saw a lot of this July 4th
Off of Triple H property, Captain Pontoon circling around blinding others with his dock lights. Called the marine patrol and they said there is a patrol boat in the area. They didn't say the boat will respond. A short time later, There was blue light in the public dock area. I said 'It's about time!' I followed the blue light and her headed out of the bay! Must have been an emergency. Oh well, everyone was yelling at the pontoon driver to kill the lights, instead he turned on these blue LED lights that illuminated his pontoons! That is even worst!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #24
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I learned that the docking lights and running lights were all wired to one switch... They eventually removed the wire nuts (yup, wire nuts) on the docking lights to get them to extinguish.
Obviously not a factory installation!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #25
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
I learned that the docking lights and running lights were all wired to one switch... They eventually removed the wire nuts (yup, wire nuts) on the docking lights to get them to extinguish.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Clearly not. I think the wire nuts may have been marine rated though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-24-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #27
Misty Blue

Default Vessel stops

I am a great fan of the NHMP. Always have been. But I do have a problem with random vessel stops.

Page 27 of the NH boaters guide states that the Marine Patrol Officers have the right to pull over a vessel at any time for an inspection. (I do not have the specific language right here) No probable cause?

Where did the fourth amendment to the US Constitution go?

Is pulling out of Braun Bay or the NASWA a reasonable justification for a random stop?

I am no lawyer but I would think that the liberties granted by the US Constitution should apply on NH waters.

As I said, I have never personally had a problem with a random stop but I have heard of them and wonder how the pieces fit in. Any thoughts?

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #28
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
Page 27 of the NH boaters guide states that the Marine Patrol Officers have the right to pull over a vessel at any time for an inspection. (I do not have the specific language right here) No probable cause?
... Any thoughts?

Misty Blue
The NH Supreme court struck that rule down a few years ago. There was a bit of chatter here about the NHMP trying other techniques to build up probable cause for a stop but I don't know what they're doing now. A crooked wake may be enough for a DUI stop.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #29
ApS

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
The NH Supreme court struck that rule down a few years ago. There was a bit of chatter here about the NHMP trying other techniques to build up probable cause for a stop but I don't know what they're doing now. A crooked wake may be enough for a DUI stop.
It's not "probable cause" any longer, but "articulable suspicion"; meaning, the officer has to cite a good reason for the stop. Without supportive evidence, "He looked like he was BWI" may not be enough for "articulable suspicion".

Either "littering", or "having insufficient observers" while towing skiers or tubers could be examples for a good reason for a NHMP stop.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
SBC (08-17-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #30
Kamper

krose enuff
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #31
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
He stopped a pontoon boat full of old farts traveling about 5mph that I recognized as a neighbor. .
SAMIAM -- you opened the thread, were you ever able to talk to your neighbor and establish what really happened ?

Slickcraft (07-28-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
....... I learned that the docking lights and running lights were all wired to one switch...
Well this could be certainly the case, it would show a lack of responsible decisions from the factory to the water:

1. The Manufacturer should have no better, after all isn't that why NMMA exists to get all Manufacturers on the same page
2. The dealership that sold the boat, should have known of the issue and fixed it, to be in compliance with the law
3. Any experience boater should know that isn't proper and have made sure the issue is fixed.

I don't think this is the case..... At the end of the day, it smells to me like a previous owner, or even the current owner of that boat, did something they shouldn't have.... and cut corners...

These are not new laws we are dealing with... Docking lights have been around for a long time... the fact that they are not to be used for general navigation has always been the case...

Issues like this a signs of pure ignorance plain and simple.....
Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Well this could be certainly the case, it would show a lack of responsible decisions from the factory to the water:

1. The Manufacturer should have no better, after all isn't that why NMMA exists to get all Manufacturers on the same page
2. The dealership that sold the boat, should have known of the issue and fixed it, to be in compliance with the law
3. Any experience boater should know that isn't proper and have made sure the issue is fixed.

I don't think this is the case..... At the end of the day, it smells to me like a previous owner, or even the current owner of that boat, did something they shouldn't have.... and cut corners...

These are not new laws we are dealing with... Docking lights have been around for a long time... the fact that they are not to be used for general navigation has always been the case...

Issues like this a signs of pure ignorance plain and simple.....
I never meant to imply it was a factory install, just that the lights were all on one switch. My guess is the docking lights were an add on by the owner.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #34
ursa minor

Mmmm, docking lights. Our friendly neighborhood pontoon boat operator was out last Saturday night coming up from the direction of the LI bridge through the six pack all lit up. I've seen this several times in the past few summers, it has to be the same person / boat. No one else was headed towards them but if there had been the second boat wouldn't be able to see anything but those docking lights, it was bad enough standing on shore watching.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #35
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Original thread and more questions

I feel like we're moving away from SAIAM's original post, and I think the docking light question has been addressed in the past. Nevertheless, Ursa Minor, did anybody contact MP, about the pontoon "all lit up"?

From your vantage point, could you see, or not see, if the 'toon in question turned off the docking lights after going through the six pack? Did you see them transit in both directions, e.g. on a return trip?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #36
ursa minor

Descant, to answer your questions:
No, they kept their docking lights on the entire time.
Although I only saw them heading south this time, I have seen either this or a very similar boat traveling in the other direction in the past.
Finally, no neither I or the neighbors with me called the MP. This may annoy me / others but I don't believe it warrants dispatching a patrol boat on a very quiet Saturday night. We see the patrol boat often in the evening, I'm sure the two paths will cross eventually. Sorry for if you feel this is a derail, just following on with the recent conversation. Night time navigation is a must for an islander, guess this is just a pet peeve of mine, others may feel differently.

Last edited by ursa minor; 07-31-2015 at 09:35 AM.
ursa minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #37
SAMIAM

Haven't seen him....only up for a few days but saw his boat out the next day so he must have come out of it ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #38
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Descant, to answer your questions:
No, they kept their docking ilghts on the entire time.
Although I only saw them heading south this time, I have seen either this or a very similar boat traveling in the other direction in the past.
Finally, no neither I or the neighbors with me called the MP. This may annoy me / others but I don't believe it warrants dispatching a patrol boat on a very quiet Saturday night. We see the patrol boat often in the evening, I'm sure the two paths will cross eventually. Sorry for if you feel this is a derail, just following on with the recent conversation. Night time navigation is a must for an islander, guess this is just a pet peeve of mine, others may feel differently.
Best response I've seen in a while. No, the guy wasn't right for running his lights and it's a nuisance and safety issue, but not everyone gets it. Sometimes it's just better to bite your tongue for a few minutes rather than rain on everyone else's parade. Nobody's perfect, some people are A$$es, and some people really just don't know. Everyone's at the lake to enjoy it and there's far to much bitchin' (please forgive the language use, it felt appropriate) about this person did this wrong, that person wasn't 150ft, saw captain bonehead 32487 times this weekend on a different boat every time, marine patrol was pulling people over, this group played their music too loud and was having too much fun.

My point is, why get so ticked off about an infraction to the point where it ruins your own day/night and then you feel obligated to bring others down in the process. Yea yea, I know safety is often a concern, but diligent boaters can be defensive as well. Thankfully, there aren't many reports of dangerous events taking place on our lake, but yes they will inevitably happen because people aren't perfect.

Get out and enjoy the lake for yourself, your family, and your friends. While doing so, understand others are out there to enjoy it too. I'm not saying don't report significant issues, just saying sometimes it's better to just bite your tongue and look the other way rather than get caught up in the nonsense.

HAPPY FRIDAY and cheers to what looks like a great weekend!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #39
tg38

don't believe you will see college kids MP's are all state police
tg38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #40
Skip

Exclamation Marie Patrol Officers are not State Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg38 View Post
don't believe you will see college kids MP's are all state police
While the NHMP indeed is now part of the NHSP chain of command, Marine Patrol Officers are still that, Marine Patrol Officers with duties and responsibilities as defined by State Statute unchanged. The hiring standards and process remain the same for that organization, very different from the standards and responsibilities as defined by statute for the State Police.

The age and experience of Marine Patrol Officers remain basically the same as that before the administrative chain of command conversion to the NHSP.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (08-03-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #41
ApS

Post Just Two Points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
You don't know what the issue was but it seemed extreme.

Law enforcement officers in general are damned if they do or not.

The pay for MP's is based on age? My agency doesn't pay based on age. If they do, I'll be looking at big bucks when I explore applying to the NHMP after retiring where I am. And I'll be an old salty dog who won't be so aggressive

No offense what so ever, but all I can gather from this story is that an MP officer was doing his job and not just cruising the lake for a paycheck. Is it possible that you are feeling a little offended for some reason because it was your neighbor?
​​​​​•​ ​Towards dusk yesterday, an NHMP patrol boat was towing a small runabout when he slowed nearly to a stop. It appeared he was taking a radio message. He then turned on his blue emergency lights, and raced out of the harbor, towing the runabout as fast as it's ever been before in its life!

Talk about multi-tasking!

​​​​​•​ ​I'd like all our NHMP officers to appear as gnarly as this Minnesotan.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #42
dave603

If he pulled that on me, towing if I was broke down or not, I would cut the line.
And if I was on his boat, for whatever reason, while towing, my phone would be recording.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #43
ApS

Red face Soooorreeeee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
If he pulled that on me, towing if I was broke down or not, I would cut the line.
And if I was on his boat, for whatever reason, while towing, my phone would be recording.
I guess I implied that the runabout had people in it, but couldn't detect that anyone was aboard.

(No harm—no foul).

At 8:15-PM this evening, another puzzling situation has developed, but many long distance photos have to be reviewed. In the dimming light, were there two or more swimmers, or one swimmer with a board? You can't legally water-ski after sunset, but can you swim for several minutes in open water towards the towing boat after the sun has set?

Technically, I guess you can, but it's another conundrum for the NHMP.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #44
MikeF-NH

I have had nothing but excellent interactions with MP on Winni. Last weekend my wife and I spent the weekend on the lake and went down to Sheblys for dinner. On the way, we watched a few jet skiers jumping wakes MUCH too close to other boat including ours. I mentioned this to my wife so she understood the danger and legal issue. While eating dinner, we looked out and saw MP nab these guys just outside the bandstand. We left the restaurant 15 minutes later and he was having what looked like a pleasant interaction with another boat then he came right over to us (it was dusk). I had my nav lights on and he asked us if he could talk to use..."sure!".

Bottom line is he was VERY pleasant and stated that our anchor light on the stern was a bit low and not completely visible at 360 degrees. It was a replacement and I had it for years and thought it was just above my head but I was wrong. He treated the moment as "educational" and asked "do you have life jackets on board..."sure right under the front deck" and he said "fine...have a nice night" and was on his way.

The entire "event" from him pulling the jet skiers over to use saying good night to him was text book of what should be expected of these officers. Like everyone, I'm sure they have bad days and that some may have something to prove but I would say that as a group, NHMP is a class act and I'm glad to see them everytime I see them on the water. I think most people who are obeying the law and acting respectfully (treat others as you want to be treated) would agree.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Kamper (08-10-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #45
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I think most people who are obeying the law and acting respectfully (treat others as you want to be treated) would agree.
Yup, both for MP and regular police. I've only dealt with LEO's a couple dozen or so times in my life, and I've nothing but good things to say. This includes getting pulled over and a couple dumb driving maneuvers as a kid.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #46
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I have had nothing but excellent interactions with MP on Winni. Last weekend my wife and I spent the weekend on the lake and went down to Sheblys for dinner. On the way, we watched a few jet skiers jumping wakes MUCH too close to other boat including ours. I mentioned this to my wife so she understood the danger and legal issue. While eating dinner, we looked out and saw MP nab these guys just outside the bandstand. We left the restaurant 15 minutes later and he was having what looked like a pleasant interaction with another boat then he came right over to us (it was dusk). I had my nav lights on and he asked us if he could talk to use..."sure!".

Bottom line is he was VERY pleasant and stated that our anchor light on the stern was a bit low and not completely visible at 360 degrees. It was a replacement and I had it for years and thought it was just above my head but I was wrong. He treated the moment as "educational" and asked "do you have life jackets on board..."sure right under the front deck" and he said "fine...have a nice night" and was on his way.

The entire "event" from him pulling the jet skiers over to use saying good night to him was text book of what should be expected of these officers. Like everyone, I'm sure they have bad days and that some may have something to prove but I would say that as a group, NHMP is a class act and I'm glad to see them everytime I see them on the water. I think most people who are obeying the law and acting respectfully (treat others as you want to be treated) would agree.
The stern light doesnt have to be visible at 360 degrees under way its more like 280 degrees of light it has to be 360 degrees when at anchor.
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #47
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not quite correct... Here is SAF-C 400 pertaining to lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTOOL View Post
The stern light doesnt have to be visible at 360 degrees under way its more like 280 degrees of light it has to be 360 degrees when at anchor.
Lighting requirements for boats depends on the class of the boat. For boats class A & I, the requirement is for a light that can be seen all the way around.

Here is the regulation.
(a) All motorboats, including boats propelled by outboard motors, shall while under way, carry lights with distances of visibility on clear nights shown as follows:fficeffice" />>>
> >
(1) For class A and I motorboats:>>
> >
a. A bright white light aft to show all around the horizon; and>>
> >
b. A combined light on the fore part of the vessel and lower than the white light aft, showing green to starboard and red to port, so fixed as to throw the light from right ahead to 2 points abaft the beam of their respective sides; and>>
> >
(2) For class II and III motorboats:>>
> >
a. A bright white light in the fore part of the vessel as near the stem as practicable, so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 20 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light 10 points on each side of the vessel, namely, from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on either side;>>
> >
b. A bright white light aft to show all around the horizon, and higher than the white light forward;>>
> >
c. On the starboard side, a green light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 10 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on the starboard side;>>
> >
d. On the port side, a red light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 10 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on the port side; and>>
> >
e. The side lights shall be fitted with inboard screens of sufficient height and so set as to prevent these lights from being seen across the bow.>>
> >
(b) Each motorboat shall carry only the combined light or separate side lights as appropriate to its class. Additionally, one white light at the stern so constructed that it shall show an unbroken light over an area of the horizon of 12 points of the compass so fixed as to show the light 6 points from right aft on each side of the vessel.>>
> >
(c) When propelled by both sail and machinery a motorboat shall carry the lights required by this section for a motorboat propelled by machinery only.>>
> >
(d) Every white light prescribed by this section shall be of such character as to be visible at a distance of at least 2 miles. Every colored light prescribed by this section shall be of such character as to be visible at a distance of at least one mile. The word "visible" in this paragraph, when applied to lights, means visible on a dark night with clear atmosphere.>>
> >
(e) Any motorboat may carry and exhibit the lights required by the federal requirements for preventing collisions at sea, 1960, International Rules of the Road, federal act of September 24, 1963, 33 USC 1051-1053, 1061-1094, 77 Stat. 194-210, as amended, in lieu of the lights required by this section.>>
> >
Source. #2351, eff 4-25-83; ss by #3010, eff 5-2-85; ss by #4562, eff 1-3-89; ss by #5936, INTERIM, eff 1-3-95, EXPIRES, 5-3-95 (formerly Saf-C 403.17); ss by #6005, eff 3-24-95; ss by #6092, eff 9-19-95, EXPIRED: 9-19-03>>
> >
New. #8107, EMERGENCY, eff 6-22-04, EXPIRES: 12-19-04; ss and moved by #8172, eff 9-21-04 (from Saf-C 403.14); ss by #10293, eff 3-20-13
Old 08-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #48
Rich

I find that most people just refer to the white light at the back of their boat their 'anchor light'.

On my boat, I have both a stern light, and a masthead light that can double as an anchor light (in addition to the red/green side lights).

Here's an image that shows how the lights can be (I find pictures easier than reading regulations in this case):

So generically, a lot of people just refer to the white light as an anchor light. On the majority of small to average sized boats on the lake, they double as an all around light as well as an anchor light. If they are underway, they need their red/green side or bi-color lights on along with their 'anchor light' (technically it's an all around light). If they are anchored, then the red/green side or bi-color lights must be off.

On my boat, since I have a separate stern light and a 'masthead light', when I switch from 'navigation' to 'anchor' mode. the stern light turns off, and the mast head light changes from mostly forwards facing only to a 360 degree white light.

I don't think people should get too tied up in a bunch when someone says 'your anchor light must be on when underway', as in many cases, the anchor light doubles as an all around light when underway for smaller boats.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #49
Farfrumbehavin

I must have been taught this but please refresh my memory. What are the definitions of the four classes of boats. Most boats, mine included would need a very long mast on the all around light to be seen form 360 deg.
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #50
Rich

I'm pretty sure NH follows the US Coast Guard requirements:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/artic...quirements.asp

But an all around light must clear any obstructions, radar arch, radar antenna's, bimini's or other canvas, people in the boat, etc.

Even a single obstruction can be dangerous.

Here's the actual NH rules from: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule.../saf-c400.html

Quote:
Saf-C 403.03 Classification of Boats.

(a) For the purposes of this part, motorboats shall be classified follows:

(1) Class A shall be for motorboats less than 16 feet in length;

(2) Class I shall be for motorboats at least 16 feet but less than 26 feet in length;

(3) Class II shall be for motorboats at least 26 feet but less than 40 feet in length; and

(4) Class III shall be for motorboats at least 40 feet but less than 65 feet in length.
You can find the lighting requirements in: "Saf-C 403.15 Lights on all Motorboats" or "Saf-C 403.16 Lights on Non-Power Boats" via the link above.

Here is the NH diagram showing the lights:

Last edited by Rich; 08-10-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #51
Farfrumbehavin

Well I guess that clears things up, Thank You.
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #52
nhboat61

Default curious sightings

So, last weekend I saw something that picked my attention. Actually two weekends in a row,

Lately, I have been seeing a small 15' aluminum boat ( like a sea nymph) with 2 uniformed men cruising the shoreline with binoculars and pulling up to an occasional shoreline./ dock where there are people. ... Would this be Fish an game checking fishing licenses? I have just never seen this before. In my viewing area, I did not see them do any 150' or random boat checks.

This is not the typical MP boat I see.

any insight ?

FYI - I'm not on Winnie
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #53
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default F&g

Fish and Game or the DES. Both are out patrolling the waters. DES would be checking for valid moorings and wetlands violations.