Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
knowit

Default Our first great day at Braun Bay! (Special thanks to Captain Leo for your assitance)

After many years on this great lake today was my family's first trip to Braun Bay, and what a day it was! Perfect in every respect. I will say that I was a bit nervous about being there in close quarters with lots of other vessels, and in my never ending quest to NOT be a Captain Bonehead I wanted to do it right. I saw a spot that looked to be about the right size for our boat and proceeded to slowly go in bow first and then I was going to spin it around in its own length ( or as close as Icould) and anchor in right on the mooring bouy line. I had some friends with us ready to help with the anchor. Then I noticed a man in the water next my boat offering to take both my stern and bow anchors and set them and distance me out accordingly so that I was the right distance from the other boats and the shoreline. After helping us out of that first time adventure I went over to thank him for his kindness and assistance. (his friend on board also helped) .

I later was told by someone next to us that this kind man was the Captain of the MS MT Washington, Captain Leo. Well I just want to express my gratitude for the help he provided to us on our first visit to the Bay.
We will definately be back before we leave in two weeks and I will always remember the kindness he showed us this day.

Captain Leo, if you read these forums, a sincere thank you from Steve from Connecticut (boat from RI).

You made our day!!!!
knowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
VtSteve

Now that's service

Is his day boat smaller?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
robmac

I find that more common than not on the lake. We have helped and have been helped on many occasions but never get tired of it. Kind of makes you appreciate the boating community we share the lake with.Great job Capt.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Great story

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I find that more common than not on the lake. We have helped and have been helped on many occasions but never get tired of it. Kind of makes you appreciate the boating community we share the lake with.Great job Capt.
It is good to see cooperation on the lake!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
OCDACTIVE

Glad to hear you had a great time. Braun Bay is one of my favorite spots on the lake.... Enjoy!!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Jidge

Default Thumbs Up to the Helpers!

My wife and I are new to boating this year and are off to a great start. We're learning the chart and exploring the lake. I still need a little practice pulling into the docks. ( I've had my share of dock bumps) We have a friend who told us about Braun Bay and are looking forward to going there. My only hesitation is pulling into the pack of boats we'll encounter when we get there. I want to look seasoned ,but not knowing about how to go about it makes me nervous. I hope when we do ,Capt. Leo or some other patient,instructive boater gives us a hand. Its good to know there are still people out there who'll lend a hand.
So when you see the 23' ,red striped Chaparral , circling the waters outside the bay ,don't be afraid to give us a wave and to let us know "It'll be OK".( I'm picking up the second anchor Friday as instructed by my friend)
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidge View Post
My wife and I are new to boating this year and are off to a great start. We're learning the chart and exploring the lake. I still need a little practice pulling into the docks. ( I've had my share of dock bumps) We have a friend who told us about Braun Bay and are looking forward to going there. My only hesitation is pulling into the pack of boats we'll encounter when we get there. I want to look seasoned ,but not knowing about how to go about it makes me nervous. I hope when we do ,Capt. Leo or some other patient,instructive boater gives us a hand. Its good to know there are still people out there who'll lend a hand.
So when you see the 23' ,red striped Chaparral , circling the waters outside the bay ,don't be afraid to give us a wave and to let us know "It'll be OK".( I'm picking up the second anchor Friday as instructed by my friend)
Hey, SERIOUSLY DON'T WORRY!!!... Just don't come in throwing a big wake.. Make sure you stop way way outside the anchoring area... This way your wake doesn't disrupt the boats already there.

Once you come in (if it is early before 10:30) there really will only be 4 or 5 boats, so you will not have to worry about coming into a crowded area. If you get there when it is crowded you normally do not want to go in on power anyway. Too dangerous with people in the water and anchor lines. Pick your spot where you will fit and stop outside the other boats. Jump in the water and pull her in by hand. Most likely people in the water already will come to help. Just make sure your drive is up, and you have two anchors (a main anchor off your bow and a stern anchor to hold you in the correct position)

You won't look bad as long as you don't come in on plain throwing a wake making everyone bump into each other (I've seen it)

So enjoy....... If you see a big party boat with a guy grilling in the water on a dewalt tripod grill that is me.. come on by and say hello...
Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Jidge

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info Ocdactive, sounds easy enough. Funny you should say that, my friend said "the bay is so cool ,theres even a guy who sticks a tripod right in the water and mounts a grill on top ". I said I gotta see that. Thanks again , I'll look for ya.
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Thanks for the info Ocdactive, sounds easy enough. Funny you should say that, my friend said "the bay is so cool ,theres even a guy who sticks a tripod right in the water and mounts a grill on top ". I said I gotta see that. Thanks again , I'll look for ya.
There are a few of us... I think I have perfected it however. Have built a few for some friends as well... I have seen some where although they do the trick they aren't sturdy or adjustable. I have seen one where it was made of plastic and the guy had to continue to splash water on it or it would melt.

Check it out.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
OCDACTIVE

Also you need the floating cooler. (sorry no pics). can't go anywhere without that.. But if you bring that along make sure to bring the designated driver as well..

And before I get the trolls coming at me.............. For the record I drink Adouls when driving my GFB... Otherwise I have a designated driver on the party boat..

Carry on.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Thats my buddy Tom.Oct is exactly right.Come in as slow as you can.Someone standing in the water will almost always help you.If you see them offering,come to a stop and let them and/or somebody in your boat pull it into place by hand.Way easier and almost the only way if it's crowded.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
My wife and I are new to boating this year and are off to a great start. We're learning the chart and exploring the lake. I still need a little practice pulling into the docks. ( I've had my share of dock bumps)
There's some simple techniques that can really help with docking. One I use often is to go from forward to neutral as needed to keep my speed very low when approaching the dock. No need to move fast unless there's a lot of wind.

I approach the dock at about a 30 degree angle, with a helper attending the bow dock line, I'm typically coasting in neutral for the last 10 feet or so, and put the wheel hard over away from the dock. As the bow gets about a foot from the dock, I bump the shifter into forward for about a second, then neutral while I turn the wheel hard over toward the dock, then I put it in reverse to stop all forward progress. Because the wheel is hard over toward the dock, this tends to bring the stern right to the dock. The bow helper should be able to get a line over a piling at this stage. If not, abort and try again.

If it's windy or I'm alone, I tend to use a spring line on my midship cleat. This allows me to use power to keep the boat against the dock while I tend to my stern dock line.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
knowit

I will say it is probably best to do as suggested and cut the engines at the beginning of the sandbar and jump in the water and do the rest by hand. It really helps if one guy has the stern anchor and the other has the bow anchor ready to stab into the sand. Dont forget about proper scope. That makes all the difference in the world when it comes to holding in.

Actually since this was my first time I was originally trying to do as someone suggested in another thread by setting the bow anchor in the deeper part in front of the sandbar and just barely getting my stern over the start of the sandbar. Would have been fine for me, but my wife then says " if I cant just walk right in to the water and not have it past my waist then I dont want to be here". (probably a good thing I dont keep a hammer on board)
So , as always to keep her happy I said fine and motored in very slowly up to the mooring buoy line and started to slowly spin her around. Always in control, but I think I caught a few glares from some as I went by them. That's when the Captain showed up ( I actually anchored right next to him) and offered help.

I had it totally in control, but I always try to do the right thing and consider the other boats there. Next time I cut the engines and do it in the water. Dont want to upset anyone. There are plenty of others out there that take care of that.

So definately go, bring a lunch and some cold ones. Dont forget your mirrored sunglasses so you can enjoy the eye candy without getting smacked.
Very family freindly and absolutely beautiful. I will be back. Look for the Ebbtide 2200 Black and white with RI reg. I will be happy to help. And yes, two anchors are a must.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
VtSteve

I've now tested my Box Anchor from Slideanchor.com. After going through three other anchors, I can only give Hi Fives to the Box Anchor. In gusty winds, and high winds, it has held like nothing else. I now use No Chain , and the scope that used to be 7 to 1 or more in these winds, is now half of that.

For all of you that have no windlass, it's far easier to deal with as well.

BTW, great grill setup. I'd love that for my Magma Kettle. Nice to see some happy boaters.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
knowit

Thanks for the tip on the box anchor. I gotta get one of those. What size did you get?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So I have started joining in the Braun Bay Ritual this year my self.... although I don't go on the weekends.... much easier to stay at the camp, and enjoy the water there..... but I venture over when I am there on the week days......

Here is the thing practice make perfect.... unlike a lot of people I don't need to have my boat on the sand bar.... so I tend to anchor a bit deeper then most....and swim into the shallows.... Trust me I need the exersize..... But what I have learned is this.... I take my time get things set and life is generally pretty good..... I have ben offered advice most people are friendly... and I general am chatty....experience has tought me that most people are helpfull too....

Two anchors is a must though.... and propers cope of course too.....
the first time I set my anchor, I way hosed the scope.... and yep I dragged the dam thing....but I know about how much scope I must have now.... and generally I go over that..... of course as mentioned here a second anchor is a must.... there was one person last monday with out one.... luckily the where atentive to there boat and it didn't cause an issue....

I also noted some nice wild blueberry bushes in the area..... mmmmm.........
Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #17
robmac

I counted 5 boaters yesterday at Braun Bay trying in vane to stay in position with only one anchor.( and not having any luck) In the afternoon MP cruised through and the young man was very polite asking boaters to close to shore to just move up a little explaining that if they need to get in for an emergency that is how they move in and out. Not alot of boats untill after 1 then started filling up.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowit View Post
Thanks for the tip on the box anchor. I gotta get one of those. What size did you get?
I bought the small one for my 22'. Holds like a nail down to China. The 19# weight originally made me hesitate, thinking it would be a real PITA to deal with. But it's far easier than the fluke was, having to climb up and tie off at the same time. We fold it up, put it back in the bag, under the seat and away we go.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #19
Dave M

Default ? VtSteve

VtSteve, you don't mention a 2nd anchor. I would assume you would still need one as well. If so, is it a box as well.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #20
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
VtSteve, you don't mention a 2nd anchor. I would assume you would still need one as well. If so, is it a box as well.

Dave M
I don't normally need a second anchor. But I do have a #5 Danforth Hi Tensile anchor, as well as an 8# standard fluke anchor. Typically, the second anchor doesn't have to do much, just keep the stern from drifting. We have a few big areas that are beach areas for anchoring. The only ones that use two anchors are those at the ends of a raft, and those right in close to the beach together. Those boats typically have a spike anchor on the beach shore.

Two weekends ago there was a raft near a beach cove of some 20 boats or more, mostly cruisers.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
knowit

Can you get these anchors anywhere locally? I am here in Meredith till Saturday.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #22
robmac

most marinas do carry anchors,chai and line,you could also try WaMart sometimes they have it as well. The good thing is we're getting very late in the season I saw a sale sign at Shep Browns yesterday worth a check.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowit View Post
Can you get these anchors anywhere locally? I am here in Meredith till Saturday.
West Marine sometimes has them in stock, as do Bass Pro Shops. I bought mine through Elitemarine.com, you can go direct at SLIDEANCHOR.COM. The reason I bought the Slide Anchor Box anchor is simply that it's the best design. Excellent service as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
AC2717

Default Great Spot

The fm and I made our first visit to Braun bay today, it was great, sky's were not that friendly after about 2 so we decided to head back, but I do not think it rained over there, for a Monday that area was busy for what I thought. Wow what a great Location!!!!