Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default 23' Chapparal Sunesta 232

Looking at possibly buying a used one with a Volvo Penta 5.0 for my better half.

Any comments good or bad about this boat would be appreciated before I make the decision.

Thanks!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
zantheman

We have alot of Chapperals on our lake due to a large dealership. People I know who have them really like them. They are good solid, rugged, well made boats.

As far as the Volvo Penta, I have a VP drive with a duo prop on my Chris Craft and love it. Backing into slips at resturants even in fairly rough water is relatively easy. Really pops the boat out quickly and is great for water skiing too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
zantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Looking at possibly buying a used one with a Volvo Penta 5.0 for my better half.

Any comments good or bad about this boat would be appreciated before I make the decision.

Thanks!

Dan
The Chap is a great boat. I think that's about a 4,000 plus pound boat? Hopefully, it has the DP prop, major plus as noted above. But the 5.0 is rather timid for that weight. If you could hold out for the 5.7 you'd be a happier camper, boater actually. Not for speed, but for the extra torque for that weight.

Hopefully you found a great deal. I was offered a brand new 250 Chap cruiser, with 5.7 Mag DP, full options including heat and ac for $50k out the door. Brand new warranty, no hours. For 12k more, I could have had a fully loaded 275 SSi with the 8.1 DP in it.

Alas, they are sold now, and not to me
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
ossipeeboater

i sold a 02 243 Sunesta this spring. Only issues I can see with it is on rough days it's not as good of a ride as a deeper V hull but we enjoyed ours while we had it. Not sure that the Duorpop was worth what I paid for it but then again I wasn't having to back inot a narrow slip, perhaps if I was I'd feel different but having to drop $1100 on a new prop set the second time out on Winnie back in 02 made me see the benefit of a single prop outdrive.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thanks all for the replies...

I went and test drove the boat yesterday and VtSteve you were 100% right! The single prop 5.0 simply does not move that heavy boat around well at all. It felt very underpowered and cumbersome with four of us in it.

Looks like I will just have to break down go the "Eastern" route like I wanted to initially.

Thanks!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links