Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Nice ramp experience yesterday

We spent a fine day on the lake and were headed to the Downing's launch ramp yesterday afternoon around 5 PM to load and go home. There was a boat being loaded, one or two in the queue behind them, and a boat sitting still in the water about 300 feet away. I idled up to the still boat and politely asked if they were waiting for the ramp. The captain said he was, but did not know the protocol. I explained it to him, then moved away. When a space opened up at the left dock and he did not take it, I idled back over and told him either dock was OK to use. He explained he'd rather wait for the right dock and that I could take the left one. I said OK, and then said I'd be on the right dock to help him land the boat; he seemed to like that plan. I docked, walked over to the right dock (which had just been vacated) and motioned them to come in. He came in nice and slowly and I took the lines, got the boat tied, and then said I'd wait for them to load. He said that he'd be slow and insisted that I go first. So I jogged up to my rig, backed in, loaded quickly and got out of the way. I was in no hurry (we parked after loading and sauntered over to Shibley's for ice cream), and would have gladly waited and helped, but I sure appreciated what he did by letting me load first. Wish more people were so courteous when learning to load a new boat. Cheers!

BTW, I kept an eye out, just in case, and though indeed slow (perhaps methodical would be a better term), he seemed to have no trouble backing the trailer or loading the boat. We ended directly behind them on 11 (where he even pulled over 3 times to let faster traffic between us pass, this guy was pure class). Wish I had a way to tell him he needed to use transom tie down straps...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
EricP

Nice to hear about good experiences out there, wish there were more like that
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
4Fun

I had the opposite experience Saturday 3 clowns trying to launch a pontoon boat at Lees mills. Couldn't back up a trailer, couldn't undo the chain, couldn't start the engine, etc. My 5 year old learned about 10 new words while they tried to launch. Fortunatly they gave up and pulled back out. Of course they park right in front of the ramp

A marine patrol boat stopped to use the rest room and he talked/helped them for 2 minutes. I could tell he walked away thinking he'll be rescuing them later!!!

We snuck in and launched in 30 seconds. Is it really that hard for some people?

Last edited by 4Fun; 07-27-2009 at 09:01 AM.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I had the opposite experience Saturday 3 clowns trying to launch a pontoon boat at Lees mills. Couldn't back up a trailer, couldn't undo the chain, couldn't start the engine, etc. My 5 year old learned about 10 new words while they tried to launch. Fortunatly they gave up and pulled back out. Of course they park right in front of the ramp

A marine patrol boat stopped to use the rest room and he talked/helped them for 2 minutes. I could tell he walked away thinking he'll be rescuing them later!!!

We snuck in and launched in 30 seconds. Is it really that hard for some people?
So We have this nice Post by DAVE R. which showed some really nice and considerate behaviour between some fellow boaters.... Followed by this junk....

4Fun did you notice that Dave R. was helpfull in his situation......if these people where having so much trouble, and you are this wonderful experienced boater who launches in 30 seconds..... How come you didn't post anything about helping out......Yes some people have a hard time with launch and retrival..... It is really to bad not everyone is perfect like you........
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Seeker

There are a lot of people not too competent when it comes to launching or hauling. I've been boating for almost 60 years but when I only dump my trailer boat in once in the spring and haul it once in the fall I'll be the first to admit I am not that great at it. If you haul every weekend you're bound to get good at it. Let's just have a little patience for others not so capable.
One of the things I like most about boating is helping less experienced boaters with any problems or questions they may have. I'd like to have DaveR around when I launch.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
rick35

Default Always lend a hand

Whenever at the public dock next to Shep Browns I check to see what's happening on the ramp. I've offered assistance on several occasions when it looked like it was needed. You never know when you might need help too. I was trying to fit into a tight spot at the Glendale dock on my way to the Lyon's Den a couple of weeks back and was very happy for someone on the dock to catch my lines. Parallel parking is tough enough in a car.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
EricP

I help guide them down the ramp whenever possible. I do it all the time but not everyone does. We'd live in a pretty boring world if we all did things the same. We all have the things we do well and those things we don't do so well. Being the good guy always pays off, even if you just feel better having helped.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So We have this nice Post by DAVE R. which showed some really nice and considerate behaviour between some fellow boaters.... Followed by this junk....

4Fun did you notice that Dave R. was helpfull in his situation......if these people where having so much trouble, and you are this wonderful experienced boater who launches in 30 seconds..... How come you didn't post anything about helping out......Yes some people have a hard time with launch and retrival..... It is really to bad not everyone is perfect like you........
In my defense...

3 times this year I have gone out of my way to help people at the ramp. 2 times I "saved the day" with my battery jump pack, the other time I helped a woman winch up her boat. I would have happily helped these "clowns" if if they were not acting like lunitics swearing in front of my 5 year old and were even remotely prepared. I am not perfect but I do show up and prepare BEFORE I am on the ramp. I prepare to save YOU time at the ramp.

I forgot. I also backed a gentlmans boat in for him earlier this year as well. He was launching solo.

I have no patience waiting for people that are oblivious to others. I have lots of patience for people who recognize they need help.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Could not have said it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
In my defense...

3 times this year I have gone out of my way to help people at the ramp. 2 times I "saved the day" with my battery jump pack, the other time I helped a woman winch up her boat. I would have happily helped these "clowns" if if they were not acting like lunitics swearing in front of my 5 year old and were even remotely prepared. I am not perfect but I do show up and prepare BEFORE I am on the ramp. I prepare to save YOU time at the ramp.

I forgot. I also backed a gentlmans boat in for him earlier this year as well. He was launching solo.

I have no patience waiting for people that are oblivious to others. I have lots of patience for people who recognize they need help.
Good points 4Fun. States landing is "our" ramp too. The only thing I would add that is sometimes when you offer to help, it is not accepted gratefully or rejected gracefully.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote