Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Kamper

Default Is "Speeding" the new "Safety Inspection?"

(This thread is inspired by this post, which I did not want to thread-jack http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8180 )

Once apon a time... The NHMP thought it had the authority to stop a boat anytime, anywhere, without other probable cause, to inspect it for compliance with safety equipment regulations. During this "inspection" they might discover other violations that could result in prosecution eg: DUI, documentation discrepancies, illegal substances, to name just a few. The NH Supreme court has ruled that is not true and these checks are no longer officially practiced by the NHMP unless they have stopped a boat for other cause.

In some instances the NHMP is acting as an agent of the USCG and under that authority has more latitude but let's set that aside since it doesn't apply on the lake.

On the referenced thread, member "Winnipesaukee" tells of a non-radar stop for speeding where he was ultimately given a verbal warning and let go.

I'm wonderring if "speeding" was just an excuse for what as actually a random stop to check for other violations? Has anyone else been stopped under this (possible) pretext and then been delayed by a vessel inspection or other reason before being cut loose or cited for something un-related?

If you have an opinion about this subject I'd welcome reading it but please don't re-open the debate on the speed law itself. The Moderator has closed that topic.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Chimi

Why do people let the MP intimidate them? Everyone is falling into the trap - MP starts these bogus intimidation tactics, which result in people hesitating to use their boats at certain times - especially at night. This is the exact result that they and their cronies in Concord want.

Don't drink, obey the basic rules and go about your business. If one of these rogue MP's makes a stop, show your ID, say as little as possible and be done with it. They want respect from citizens - that's fine, but they get respect if they give respect back. It's a two-way street.
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation Respect Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimi View Post
Why do people let the MP intimidate them? Everyone is falling into the trap - MP starts these bogus intimidation tactics, which result in people hesitating to use their boats at certain times - especially at night. This is the exact result that they and their cronies in Concord want.

Don't drink, obey the basic rules and go about your business. If one of these rogue MP's makes a stop, show your ID, say as little as possible and be done with it. They want respect from citizens - that's fine, but they get respect if they give respect back. It's a two-way street.
I'm in agreement with this one. Even though I don't like the MPO way of doing business at times. I treat them with respect and go about my business. But, always report the inappropriate activity to MP HQ.

I have posted a number of inappropriate behavior and I don't want to repeat it here. You can do a search on my user id to find them. As you notice the call was all I need to void a ticket, if I get one.