Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
weim2

Thumbs down Who can bowhunt on Governor's Island?

It seems there is an exclusive group only that can bowhunt on Governor's Island. Not handicapped hunters or people who are proven good experienced bowhunters. Just a certain group.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
jmen24

Just a question, why would you want to bow hunt there anyway? Lots of houses, people that do not want you there and from what I have heard not a whole lot of sport, because of the over population. If you really do that is fine, my own opinion, I like a little more space between me and other people while hunting.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Pineedles

Ok, I'll bite. What is this exclusive group of people of which you speak? I notice in the law, that one must have the landowner's permission to hunt, but that's the same everywhere.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
weim2

Default Permission

My friend had permission from a landowner. Then told a certain group comes in. I do not know the "group"-a secret.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What is this exclusive group of people of which you speak? I notice in the law, that one must have the landowner's permission to hunt, but that's the same everywhere.
Actually in the state of NH you do not need landowner's written or verbal permission to hunt his or her land. If the land is not posted it is fair game. I will tell you that nothing closes good hunting land faster than poor hunter/landowner relationships, you should always at the very least stop in and say, "Hi, I am so and so and I would like to hunt in this area of your property, I am just giving you a heads up in case you run into me."

That only qualifies you to "stalk hunt" (ground hunt) on that property, you can by no means hang a tree stand (unless you do not hurt the trees, i.e. climbing stands), create a blind (unless it is one of the portable ones), cut down trees or take your atv to retrieve an animal on someone elses property without landowner permission.

The Q and A below is from NH Fish and Game's site:

"Can I hunt on private land that's not posted?

Yes. But it's always good to ask the landowner first.

Common law in New Hampshire gives the public the right of access to land that's not posted. You won't find that in state law books, because it is common law, going back to the philosophy of New England's early colonists and supported over the centuries by case law. Our forefathers knew the importance of balancing the need for landowners' rights with that of the public good. On one hand, the landowner can make decisions about his or her land. On the other hand, the public should have limited rights to use and enjoy that land. The colonists held similar democratic notions about rivers, lakes, fish and wildlife.

Today, it's easy to take this notion for granted. In New Hampshire and elsewhere in New England, we enjoy a long, proud tradition of public use of private land.

This tradition also comes with a risk. A landowner who finds trash, disrespect or other problems can easily decide to post his or her land.

Residents of some Western states find this notion of private land/public use very strange. Hunters in some states pay hundreds of dollars in annual fees to landowners to hunt their lands. It's just another cost of hunting.

Other states have what's called reverse posting. Access is limited to land that's specifically posted for that use. If it's not posted, you can't go on it.

And some states require written landowner permission for hunting."
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
weim2

Thumbs up Thank you

That was great info, thanks. But my friend wanted a tree stand and had written perm. from a landowner
Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim2 View Post
My friend had permission from a landowner. Then told a certain group comes in. I do not know the "group"-a secret.
Ok here is the things you are talking about an Island.... we have the same deal out on Long Island.... The hunting on the islands is about herd control and nothing more. You don't want just anyone running around the island. Addtionally you would prefer that the hunting is done durring the week when people are not around and apt to be walking around and through the woods. therefore an archery club comez in.

On Long Island the archery club comes in Monday thru Friday.... and it is very controlled, not only to when they can hunt but to how many deer are going to be taken in any year.

My guess is the same scenario is taking place on governs island... it is very much controlled by Fish and Game.......
Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
wifi

Bingo, you have it right, see: http://www.wildnh.com/Legislative/NO...OTICE_0109.pdf

This special group could be those that have state permits
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
weim2

Default Thank you

Thank you for some of the answers. I can now explain it to my friend. Positive communication is wonderful.