Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
SIKSUKR

Default Any storm damage in the lakes region?

Just wondering how the Lakes region made out with yesterdays storm. It looks like a war zone in the Manchester area, Bedford in particular. Trees down everywhere. My neighbor has a huge pine tree right through his house. Numerous streets unpassable with downed powerlines. Another neighbor has a nice 30 foot pine squashing his his Jeep. 340,000 psnh customers out of power. My mill building had a sat dish and frame blow off the 60 ft high roof and land on my high pressure gas line, knocking off the meter and allowing 60# of gas pressure to be released. Scary stuff.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
corollaman

My power on paugus bay is still on, no damage, just some small tree limbs and branches down. The lights flickered a little bit last night, but that was it.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
hilltopper

This morning in Meredith it really didn't look any different than it would have with any rain storm carrying slightly above average winds. Not even any large branches down on my property. We lost power from 11:30 PM to 3:00 AM but that's it.

I read about your gas line incident in a MWUR article. I work in Nashua and from what coworkers are saying we got off real easy!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Formula

Default Hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
This morning in Meredith it really didn't look any different than it would have with any rain storm carrying slightly above average winds. Not even any large branches down on my property. We lost power from 11:30 PM to 3:00 AM but that's it.

I read about your gas line incident in a MWUR article. I work in Nashua and from what coworkers are saying we got off real easy!
You live in Meredith and work in Nashua??
Do you commute everyday? How long of a ride is that?
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula View Post
You live in Meredith and work in Nashua??
Do you commute everyday? How long of a ride is that?
76 miles, 1 hr 18 minutes (each way). Thank the Lord for books on CD!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Gearhead

The same goes with Alton. We lost power around 11:00, and it came back at about 7:30. I commute to Manchester but Rt. 28 at the Alton circle was closed. I opted for Stockbridge Cor. rd. behind Johnson's restaurant, and there was a big tree hung up in the power lines and no one there to do anything.

I'd have to say the worst of it was around Pembroke. A lot of white pines pulled up by the roots and laying on the power lines. There were five-hundred foot swaths of mayhem, then nothing for a mile or so. Kind of like a twister, no?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
DRH

Default Minge Cove Area

We lost power from 10:45 PM last night until 6:45 AM this morning. Heavy wind-driven rain lasted through most of the night. We, and several neighbors, had rainwater leak into our homes, which in our case even found its way in through the weatherstripping on several relatively new Anderson sliders. One neighbor has a 14" - 16" diameter tree sitting on top of his house, but damage to his roof doesn't look too bad, considering. Another neighbor has a wet basement. Power is still out on some, if not all, of Rattlesnake Island.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

We had a very large birch tree fall perfectly across our driveway. With help of a neighbor a strap and four-wheel low, we pulled the tree to the side. Our neighbor also lost a large branch that fell in their driveway. Power in Moultonborough was also out from 11:30PM-?? Lots of melting. The lake came up a bit and ice has broken up quite a bit, angled against rocks. The ice has a nasty look of gray.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
CrawfordCentury

Had a couple shutters get blown off from the house. Some sections of picket fence that were laying against an ash tree in the side yard got relocated about 15 feet away - surprising since I wouldn't have expected them to catch wind. Rotted bough from a sugar maple snag came down too. Lost power at some point in the night. Came back on around 6am or thereabouts.

The part of Alton closer to New Durham seemed pretty clobbered. Less so as you got closer to Wolfeboro. In Wboro, it looks like little more than a big rainstorm came through.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Gearhead

You should see the Suncook river in Chichester. It looks boiling mad! I always feel sorry for the guy whose house floods every year by the "Lazy River Campground". By the way, the sign is IN the "Lazy River".

Speaking of signs, in Hooksett Green's Marine lost its sign. It didn't fall all the way over though, because a pickup truck was there to stop it...

Rt. 101 by the Mall in Manchester HAD a billboard on the eastbound side, but it's now twisted up a bit.

What a mess!
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Power is still out on some, if not all, of Rattlesnake Island.
Does Rattlesnake have more then one live feed going out to the island? I ask from the stand point of if there is a break out on the island, then the whole island should really be powered down, unless of course there is more then one main line running onto and around the island.....
Old 02-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
DRH

Default More Than One Circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Does Rattlesnake have more then one live feed going out to the island? I ask from the stand point of if there is a break out on the island, then the whole island should really be powered down, unless of course there is more then one main line running onto and around the island.....
I don't know exactly how the island is wired, but I know there is more than one branch circuit out there so one part of the island can be out while other parts have power. Whether there is one main feed from the mainland that has several branch circuits on the island or more than one main feed, I don't know.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Pepper

Default Wild times!!!!!!!!

I left work in Rochester last night at 9:34 and arrived home at 11:05, and never was able to travel faster than 40mph due to the diminished visibility and the random hazards blowing around! The stretch of Rte 11 through Farmington seemed to have the worst issues with branches all over the road and debris flying past me on a regular basis. As I turned onto 11A the rain began to transition to snow, and as I climbed the mountain it became all snow, and the wind intensified. I was truly thankful that there were very few other cars on the road at that point, because it was really frightening! After arriving safely at home I turned on the scanner and couldn't believe the traffic - the dispatcher at LR Fire Dispatch sure had his hands full last night. He did an amazing job dealing with the dozens of calls - nearly non-stop tone-outs until well past 1AM. Trees were down everywhere, several into homes, and many blocking roads. Kudos go out to all the emergency responders who were working through the night to keep the roads open!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Glad you made it safely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I left work in Rochester last night at 9:34 and arrived home at 11:05, and never was able to travel faster than 40mph due to the diminished visibility and the random hazards blowing around! The stretch of Rte 11 through Farmington seemed to have the worst issues with branches all over the road and debris flying past me on a regular basis. As I turned onto 11A the rain began to transition to snow, and as I climbed the mountain it became all snow, and the wind intensified. I was truly thankful that there were very few other cars on the road at that point, because it was really frightening! After arriving safely at home I turned on the scanner and couldn't believe the traffic - the dispatcher at LR Fire Dispatch sure had his hands full last night. He did an amazing job dealing with the dozens of calls - nearly non-stop tone-outs until well past 1AM. Trees were down everywhere, several into homes, and many blocking roads. Kudos go out to all the emergency responders who were working through the night to keep the roads open!!!!!!!

At least you made it home safely my dear Pepper! We're all thankful for that. Your Friend, Stevie Lavallee
Pepper (02-26-2010)
Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
idigtractors

Quote:
Ya, and having a job also
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
idigtractors

Default Alton Mountain

We lost power at 9:30 PM last nite up here on the mountain and didn't get it back until approx. 4 PM this afternoon.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #17
CanisLupusArctos

Default Wind and Rain

At the northwestern end of the lake the damage was about the same as it is after a typical summer thunderstorm. A tree down here, a wire down there, a big pool of water over there. A few hours later it's mostly cleaned up.

The WeatherCam got a wind gust to 60 mph at 12:33 am. This was the highest gust since a thunderstorm on July 2, 2008 produced a 60. Last night's was the highest non-thunderstorm wind gust since the April 16 storm of 2007 produced a 64 mph during sustained winds of 45.

Last night we didn't have the sustained winds of that storm. We got into the mid-20s (mph) for sustained wind and it was just really gusty.

Checking damage reports from all over New England, it looks like the greatest damage was near New England's southeast-facing coast, from the North Shore of MA up to the mid-coast of Maine.

The ocean wind blew mild ocean air inland many more miles than it normally goes in such a storm, resulting in a change to rain as far inland as I-93. Normally the rain-snow line is well east of there. But normally, the wind off the ocean doesn't produce gusts of 90+ mph like it did at Cape Elizabeth ME and Isles of Shoals NH.

So that wind forced the mild air inland. The shape of the Big Lake's valley drew the milder air inland farther than it was otherwise going, on the first day of the storm. Areas to the north and south of the lake were having snow, while the lake itself was like a finger of rain coming from the ocean. On radar it looked like the mild air was running right between the Ossipees and Belknaps, and its inland progress was getting stopped by the hills behind Center Harbor. That effect has happened before. The lake doesn't do well with snowfall in any situation where there's an east wind bringing milder air in from the ocean. The lake's valley is open to the east and acts as a runway for that ocean air to come inland farther than it otherwise is. This should be factored into future forecasts for the lake.

The WeatherCam ended up with an inch of snow, total, for the storm.

West of I-93, there was snow in places like Alexandria and Danbury. North of the Ossipees, there was snow. Randolph, NH has reported 39.6 inches of snow. Wildcat Mountain has been facebook-posting about similar amounts there. There were also photos posted (from White Mountains NH) of Kancamagus Pass with cars parked next to snowbanks higher than the cars.

It should also be mentioned that the snow was very much a spring-type snow, highly dependent on elevation. On Wednesday, I drove through Meredith downtown where there was rain. At the top of the hill by McDonalds there was snow accumulating on the road. In the valley beyond that, rain. At the top of the next rise, snow.

Places above 1000 feet got a lot more snow out of this. Today in Moultonborough the landscape looked the way it often does after a heavy summer thunderstorm: Twigs and small tree debris everywhere. But overlooking town, Red Hill and the Ossipees were very, very WHITE.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (02-28-2010), Bear Guy (02-27-2010), fatlazyless (02-27-2010), NHKathy (02-27-2010), Pepper (02-27-2010), Resident 2B (02-27-2010), secondcurve (02-27-2010), Winni-Retired (02-27-2010)
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
chipj29

Pretty heavy damage down my way in Bow. We lost power at around midnite on Thursday, got it back last night at around 8pm. There are a LOT of pines that got blown over. Not snapped, but blown right over.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Still a mess here in Bedford area. My sisters in Merrimack, parents and business partner in Bedford still dark as of Monday. Still many roads closed with power poles down. Must be twice as many big trees down as the 2008 ice storm. Wow!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
dpg

Quote:

Actually a few years back I was speaking to someone on the phone at work who had that beat. It was a company in Laconia and this particular person lived in Marlborough, Mass. I live two town away from Marlborough and do 2-1/2 hours to Moultonborough. He said he had been doing that commute for a year.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote