Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Meredith Resident

Default Nassau's radio stations sold at auction

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...g-stations-414
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

THat's very interesting. I wonder what his plans are.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default Hopefully

Hopefully someone buys it and turns it around. I know that 104.9 the Hawk is terrible.
Same old music over and over again, you can almost set your clock to it. If only they could do as good a job as 102.9 WBLM out of Maine, they have a great mix of music and you could wait days or weeks to here the same song again. You here more people playing 102.9 in this area then 104.9, unless your working in an area that won’t get 102.9 then you stuck.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
IslandRadio

I will agree, 104.9 is not that great, but WBLM, etc are all going for the same demographic.

There are probably close to a dozen stations that can be heard in the area, all playing essentially the same stuff - all going for the 40-somethings (and even possibly the late 30-somethings).

Being in my late 50s, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the radio, music wise, that I can listen to. Yet, my demographic (50+) probably has the most disposable income of any demographic out there. The kids are gone, house paid for (probably), still working, still healthy and there are millions of us because we are the baby boomers. Thank goodness for IcebergRadio, Pandora and other Internet streaming sources.

But, it would be nice to have something local, with news, etc. that was appealing. The so-called "music of your life" format is very repetitive, uses an extremely limited playlist, and unfortunately, includes a lot of 70s and 80s drivel (gee, I should tell you how I really feel about this ).

Hey, while we're on the subject of radio (oops, watch out - soapbox time) - I've been around the lake for about 25 years or so - WHAT IS UP WITH WASR 1420? They have some of THE WORST audio I've ever heard!?! And, they always have - it has changed, but it's still bad. Highly over-processed, and someone over there likes playing around with his/her equalization. What's WITH that??!! (rhetorical question, I don't actually expect an answer).

They actually have some reasonable music programming at times (at least for my taste), but boy, do THEY SOUND TERRIBLE!!!

I should say here, that I worked in radio for many years, both in engineering (my primary job - chief engineer of various stations) as well as on the air, and am still quite involved in the design of radio transmitters and audio equipment. It was a whole lot of fun, didn't pay too badly (the engineers were reasonably compensated) and you met a lot of interesting people. Finally left "the business" some 20+ years ago, and got a "real" job at Digital in the then, central engineering group.

Anyway, it still amazes me how bad (audio wise) many of these stations really do sound, and it's all due to poor adjustment or just plain ignorance as to how annoying overprocessing is to people, until they finally turn the dial.

Oh well, better get off the soap box now

It'll be interesting to see if the new group does anything useful with their new acquisitions, or just puts out the same stuff that everyone else is already putting out there....
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-25-2012), DRH (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
I will agree, 104.9 is not that great, but WBLM, etc are all going for the same demographic.

There are probably close to a dozen stations that can be heard in the area, all playing essentially the same stuff - all going for the 40-somethings (and even possibly the late 30-somethings).

Being in my late 50s, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the radio, music wise, that I can listen to. Yet, my demographic (50+) probably has the most disposable income of any demographic out there. The kids are gone, house paid for (probably), still working, still healthy and there are millions of us because we are the baby boomers. Thank goodness for IcebergRadio, Pandora and other Internet streaming sources.

But, it would be nice to have something local, with news, etc. that was appealing. The so-called "music of your life" format is very repetitive, uses an extremely limited playlist, and unfortunately, includes a lot of 70s and 80s drivel (gee, I should tell you how I really feel about this ).

Hey, while we're on the subject of radio (oops, watch out - soapbox time) - I've been around the lake for about 25 years or so - WHAT IS UP WITH WASR 1420? They have some of THE WORST audio I've ever heard!?! And, they always have - it has changed, but it's still bad. Highly over-processed, and someone over there likes playing around with his/her equalization. What's WITH that??!! (rhetorical question, I don't actually expect an answer).

They actually have some reasonable music programming at times (at least for my taste), but boy, do THEY SOUND TERRIBLE!!!

I should say here, that I worked in radio for many years, both in engineering (my primary job - chief engineer of various stations) as well as on the air, and am still quite involved in the design of radio transmitters and audio equipment. It was a whole lot of fun, didn't pay too badly (the engineers were reasonably compensated) and you met a lot of interesting people. Finally left "the business" some 20+ years ago, and got a "real" job at Digital in the then, central engineering group.

Anyway, it still amazes me how bad (audio wise) many of these stations really do sound, and it's all due to poor adjustment or just plain ignorance as to how annoying overprocessing is to people, until they finally turn the dial.

It'll be interesting to see if the new group does anything useful with their new acquisitions, or just puts out the same stuff that everyone else is already putting out there....
I guess it is all in what you like. I’m in my 50’s and really like listening to WBLM.
They just finished their annual A-Z countdown yesterday and although not every song they play is a hit for me I do like their variety, their library seems to be very well stocked. I like listening to music from my era all the way up to current hits. Funny thing is I never could stomach the Beatles or the Monkeys while many even younger then I am tend to like that type of music.
104.9 on the other hand is like a broken record, at almost every job site I’ve worked no one will listen to that station unless it is the only choice due to reception. I think that says it all right there.
From what I understand 102.9 has the biggest broadcast range of any station around this area. I only wish it made it a little further. I loose it about 1 hour south of my camp in Jackman Maine and have to change to 105.1 which is on the top of Sugarloaf Mtn., now that’s a hard rock station.
It has been a while but wasn’t 104.9 a better station with more variety and selection before it changed to the HAWK?
1420 isn't that that thing they call AM, what is that anyways?
Oh that what I get sometimes when I hit the wrong button by mistake
Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Jonas Pilot

Even the radio stations are better in Maine.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
bearmaine (05-31-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
IslandRadio

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
They're even better out in the Mid-West, Central region and West (but not all the way to the coast).

BelmontResident: Do you have any sort of Internet available where your camp is? 102.9 streams their audio. Even with crummy Verizon Broadband Wireless (which is UNBELIEVABLY slow at least where my place is on Rattlesnake), streaming generally works and the amount of bandwidth consumed is not bad at all.

Generally, I will stream some sort of music at least 3 or 4 hours a day when I'm at the lake, and never have I come close to using the 6 or so gigabytes that is included in the monthly service charge.

I will definitely agree with whomever it was who made the comment about the Beatles, Monkeys, etc. Those bands, while important, comprised a small amount of the actual music from the 60s which you never hear anywhere except on-line. Virtually every "oldies" station I have heard in New England seems to be a 30-something's or 40-something's interpretation of 60s music

I know this is going to sound really stupid, but I program the local access TV stations in my area (big deal!). One of these is the so-called government channel. When we're not otherwise broadcasting a Selectmen's or town meeting, I have a bulletin board running with music in the background.

It's about a 2000 song playlist (which is way bigger than just about any radio station!) of the actual music that was on the radio during the 1960s which of course included plenty of standards from the previous couple of decades. The station has an amazing listenership for local access, and we receive constant positive comments about the music from residents. Go figure!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default J p

Quote:
I just happens to be one of the better stations to listen to and happens to be out of Portland.
Being in Wolfeboro you are in your own little sheltered side of the lake which is lot different then being over here on this side.
Yes I much prefer Maine as my get away for all of my outdoor activities much like all the tourists come here to get away.

When you think about that also remember that only a very small fraction of the people who live here boat on the lake and even less view or post on this forum. So you really can’t get a feel for what is happening in the lakes region or just how most of the people who live here feel about topics brought up on this forum.
To some of us getting away means leaving the crowds behind, while to others it means going from one crowded area to another, as I mentioned in other posts, when I came here to vacation with my boys it was totally different then living here.
We came, we camped, fished, swam and unless we went by boat we very rarely ventured out much in the truck.
I came up from Nashua and although traffic and crowds here have not reached that level yet they have been on the increase for the past 10 or so years.
Have a great Memorial Day weekend and stay safe.
Now back to the radio station.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Maine Broadcast

Quote:
Even the TV stations are better in Maine! I've been heckling Metrocast to bring back Channel 8. They retaliated by making my cable worst. I have to reset the modem almost daily to get my internet back. The TV's been pixeling occasionally and there were a number of times I get a weak signal error when I turn to a channel. The response I get is that I need new cable internally in the house. They put in all new cables three years ago!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blaaahhh. Maine even has better Nuke submarine fires. Even their smaller mountains appear bigger than NH. And when you go to crowded Kittery and Freeport outlet areas, its like there is nobody around because its Maine.
Belmont Resident (05-25-2012), Jonas Pilot (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post

I agree with you. It would be nice to have some variety. I hate 104.9 and wish it would go to the oldies again. 1490 has some good talk, I wish it was a little stronger. Grant Hatch owns WASR and I think he has struggled with it since his father bought it and then died. I think he has really tried. People have said the new morning news guy gets all the local news from the Laconia paper. I bet he would welcome any help you could give him.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blaaahhh. Maine even has better Nuke submarine fires. Even their smaller mountains appear bigger than NH. And when you go to crowded Kittery and Freeport outlet areas, its like there is nobody around because its Maine.
I love it!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree with you. It would be nice to have some variety. I hate 104.9 and wish it would go to the oldies again. 1490 has some good talk, I wish it was a little stronger. Grant Hatch owns WASR and I think he has struggled with it since his father bought it and then died. I think he has really tried. People have said the new morning news guy gets all the local news from the Laconia paper. I bet he would welcome any help you could give him.
Have to find a clear spot on the FM dial and put a pirate station on with the transmitter up on the top of Rattlesnake Island Wonder how long it would last before the FCC found out about it and shut things down

It would certainly cover the whole lake and surrounding area on the lake side of the mountains and hills!

Let's see... hmmm WRFW - Radio Free Winnipesaukee. And then there's always the old stand-by: WFAT - a heavy station (yeah, yeah, I know...)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
tis

That would be something!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
@thelake

Default Satellite radio

Try SiriusXM at home, in the car and on mobile devices/online. I haven't listened to FM since 2006 and never looked back...it's awesome and commercial free! Look into a lifetime (of the radio) subscription. No affiliation, just a big fan.
@thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I second that Lake......XM is the best radio out there.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

I know I'm getting old cuz I like to listen to laughattack almost as much as music on XM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
jazzman

Default Pandora

If you have internet, try Pandora. You create themed "radio stations", and if you tell it what you do and don't like, it becomes amazing good at picking songs that I like.

The free version limits you to I think 30 hours a month and limited "skips", but if you spring for the $40/year subscription, you get unlimited hours and skips.

Most of the "smart tv" boxes can get Pandora too (at least googletv and boxee do). You can listen on your cell phone too, but be careful of your data caps if you have one.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default Live free of die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Speed limits on boats, speed limits on sled, are there speed limits on the ATV trails?
The only thing we don't have is a helmet law.
Have a great weekend Siksukr, enjoy.
SIKSUKR (05-29-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Funny thing is I never could stomach the Beatles or the Monkeys while many even younger then I am tend to like that type of music:
Hang on here. How do you mention "Beatles or The Monkeys" in one sentence and try to lump together into the same type of music? The Monkeys, while kind of a cool pop band slash TV show, we're a manufactured band of actors, whereas the Beatles were the single most influential rock band of all time. Like them or not, you have to acknowledge what they did for not only rock, but music as a whole. Come on now, show some respect.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Hang on here. How do you mention "Beatles or The Monkeys" in one sentence and try to lump together into the same type of music? The Monkeys, while kind of a cool pop band slash TV show, we're a manufactured band of actors, whereas the Beatles were the single most influential rock band of all time. Like them or not, you have to acknowledge what they did for not only rock, but music as a whole. Come on now, show some respect.
Ahhhh..yes, the gentlemen who were The Beatles were like a perfect storm of a meeting of the minds, not unlike the perfect storm of men who met here in the colonies in the 1700's. Whereas the gentlemen who comprised The Monkees were totally fun.

It's all good. My kids think my Pandora station is hilarious...Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young...and Ke$ha. A little bit of everything. So call me maybe. ; )
Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #22
kauriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by @thelake View Post
Try SiriusXM at home, in the car and on mobile devices/online. I haven't listened to FM since 2006 and never looked back...it's awesome and commercial free! Look into a lifetime (of the radio) subscription. No affiliation, just a big fan.
Is the Sirius service available around most parts of the lake? I currently have a trial that came with our car and am loving it except that I lose reception in a few spots. I am very tempted to buy subscription but have concerns about reception because there are a few spots here in MA that I lose the connection, including one spot right around the corner from our house.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Default The Mill

96.5 is my favorite. They play a lot of the clasic rock of the 60,70 and 80's. Unfortunately The broadcast limit is Concord. Whenever I am Concord south, I can almost hear 'Wolfman Jack' howling on the Mill.

Maybe islandradio can link to the mill and broadcast from the island! 'Midnight Radio'.

If you have internet you can tuned to the mill anywhere, why can't we tune to 'The Mill' anywhere?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Is the Sirius service available around most parts of the lake? I currently have a trial that came with our car and am loving it except that I lose reception in a few spots. I am very tempted to buy subscription but have concerns about reception because there are a few spots here in MA that I lose the connection, including one spot right around the corner from our house.
I have three XM house radios. One XM receiver. I can move receiver from room to room. Works fine for me. If you search you can find less expensive subscriptions. I pay mine by postal mail invoice then check. No credit cards.

I also have XM in my truck factory XM radio - different bill. Works fine up here both in home and vehicle. But yes, there are a few dead spots.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #25
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
96.5 is my favorite. They play a lot of the clasic rock of the 60,70 and 80's. Unfortunately The broadcast limit is Concord. Whenever I am Concord south, I can almost hear 'Wolfman Jack' howling on the Mill.

Maybe islandradio can link to the mill and broadcast from the island! 'Midnight Radio'.

If you have internet you can tuned to the mill anywhere, why can't we tune to 'The Mill' anywhere?
They don't appear to have any streaming capabilities at the moment. I haven't tuned in to 96.5 in a long time - last time they were playing a lot of late 70s/80s stuff and no (or very few) 60s oldies. Wonder if they changed their format? They started off as "cool 96.5" way back...with a good oldies format and very acceptable levels of audio processing. Unfortunately that didn't last very long.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
Jonas Pilot

I've always been surprised at the lack of a really strong station out of Concord. As our state capital, cultural and legal center and center of NH physically I'd a thunk you would be able to pick up Concord stations further then 10 or 15 miles away. Maybe IslandRadio has some inside info on why.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #27
@thelake

Default Commercial free music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
I have three XM house radios. One XM receiver. I can move receiver from room to room. Works fine for me. If you search you can find less expensive subscriptions. I pay mine by postal mail invoice then check. No credit cards.

I also have XM in my truck factory XM radio - different bill. Works fine up here both in home and vehicle. But yes, there are a few dead spots.
SiriusXM is available everywhere in the lower 48. Like Songkrai mentions, there will be some dead spots when you're driving, but they're usually short, just a second or two. Any time you drive under a bridge, heavy tree cover or anytime that little antenna on your car doesn't have a line of sight with the satellites, you'll hear light static to silence for a few seconds. I feel that momentary loss of signal is a very small price to pay for the great variety of commercial free music channels, talk, sports, comedy and more. There's something for everyone! (in urban areas, there are terrestrial repeaters that replace the need for line of sight, acting much like an FM signal)

At home, it's a different story. Place an antenna pretty much anywhere outside (there are mounting suggestions) and you're locked in to a great signal. It's not hard, there are lots of antenna options: under the window/under the screen. Connect to your stereo receiver and play in your living room or to your 2nd speaker zone. Add a (legal) FM transmitter and broadcast to every room in your house.
( http://wholehousefmtransmitter.com/ available for less everywhere.)

At home, use an internet only radio, like the TTR1
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXMT...usXM-TTR1.html
Listen online with your home computer, or dock your smartphone or iPod touch to a speaker system and listen online with the SXM app.
Or step up multi-zone @ home with a sonos system. I do all of the above (except Sonos), but have heard nothing but good things about Sonos and plan to buy it soon.

Sirius doesn't make a player for my particular Blackberry, so I occasionally enjoy Pandora (and it's available on my blu-ray players, but doesn't get used often), but when available I prefer SiriusXM online. Sometimes I want to hear DJ chatter, and SXM can give me that. Sometimes I just want the music, and there are channels for that, too. With Pandora, it's just music.
So clearly, I'm recommending you continue it, especially if you enjoy it now.
You'll never listen to a commercial again!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Love Sirius XM!!

Have to agree about Sirius/ XM. I can't remember the last time I listened to an FM station!

FYI... Sirius comes free if have Dish Network.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #29
Greene's Basin Girl

I also love my Sirius XM. The 60's station is my favorite. I also listen to the cable news stations.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #30
tis

I like sirius too. We have it here and in a car. We mostly listen to talk, but do love the oldies stations. But, having said that, because it comes in and out locally here, we often listen to local stations.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #31
rrr

I love my XM too - we've had it in our cars for seven years (give or take).
This weekend we did a fair amount of driving and found that on routes 109 and 28 in Wolfeboro there were a few of those real quick dead spots - not a big deal. But from Sandy Point to Lake Shore it was almost the opposite - a few short spots that had a signal. I remember thinking that it would drive me crazy if I lived in that area.

@thelake - my subscription is up for renewal soon. You piqued my interest with the lifetime membership, but I don't see it on their website. Can you give more info?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #32
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
You piqued my interest with the lifetime membership, but I don't see it on their website. Can you give more info?
They don't advertise it. You have to specifically ask for it via phone. My guess is they are required to offer it because of the XM/Sirius merger but not required to advertise it. I figured it would pay for itself in about 5 years, with Howard included anyway. That's iffy for a car but well worth it for the house IMO.
rrr (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #33
@thelake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
I love my XM too - we've had it in our cars for seven years (give or take).
This weekend we did a fair amount of driving and found that on routes 109 and 28 in Wolfeboro there were a few of those real quick dead spots - not a big deal. But from Sandy Point to Lake Shore it was almost the opposite - a few short spots that had a signal. I remember thinking that it would drive me crazy if I lived in that area.

@thelake - my subscription is up for renewal soon. You piqued my interest with the lifetime membership, but I don't see it on their website. Can you give more info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
They don't advertise it. You have to specifically ask for it via phone. My guess is they are required to offer it because of the XM/Sirius merger but not required to advertise it. I figured it would pay for itself in about 5 years, with Howard included anyway. That's iffy for a car but well worth it for the house IMO.
Gatto Nero has it right, you had to ask for it on the phone. It started at with Sirius only at $500, dropped to $400 in the dark days after the merger to include XM, later jumped to $600 and I've heard it's now $900.

But...a quick search indicates that with the new pricing just introduced, new lifetime subs are not available. Can’t hurt to call (well, yes it can, their overseas based customer service is the worst!) Good Luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to @thelake For This Useful Post:
rrr (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #34
john60ri

Default Radio

One small beef about Lakes Region radio: There are NO classical music stations.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #35
BroadHopper

Thumbs up Mt Washington Radio

There use to be a classical radio station broadcast from the top of Mt. Washington. It was a great classical music station with very little talk. I can't recall the frequency or the call letters. It could be NH public radio.

Right now I get 94.9 as far South as Manchester. WHOM from Portland featured adult contemporary.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 05-30-2012 at 02:27 PM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #36
tis

I thought that WAS 94.9.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #37
PHDIII

Default Classical Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by john60ri View Post
One small beef about Lakes Region radio: There are NO classical music stations.
Try 101.5 in Meredith. Its a simulcast of WBACH in Maine. The signal drops out annoyingly often but they play 100% classical music.
PHDIII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PHDIII For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #38
BroadHopper

Default 101.5

from meredith dropped out completely in Laconia and Lakeport center. I think it has to do with the hills between the town. When I am at Meredith docks, 101.5 comes in nicely.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
wifi

Quote:
from meredith dropped out completely in Laconia and Lakeport center. I think it has to do with the hills between the town. When I am at Meredith docks, 101.5 comes in nicely.
It comes off the LNH tower at the top of Parade Road, not exactly at the top of the world, you can figure the topology from there. Outputs 6 KW, not exactly spectacular, for instance WLNH puts out 15 KW. I still enjoy listening to 101.5 (WWHQ), despite the static I get in Moultonboro/Sandwich when driving around

Its one of the Nassau stations sold off. Wbach out of Belfast Maine was also Nassau, makes sense to couple the two.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #40
RANGER CANOE CO

Thumbs up 93.5 fm

Conway NH, great independent little station that play all kinds of good stuff.
Jonas Pilot (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #41
Jonas Pilot

93.5 my favorite station. Very eclectic mix and still gives you mostly local news. It is exactly the type of radio station I look for when traveling across the country. They have the best forecast for the region too, broadcast from the top of Mount Washington. For years I used their forecast to predict what was going to happen on the lake wind wise. I found that if the wind on the top of The Old Rock Pile was in the high 20's you could expect the wind on the lake to be uncomfortable. I'm talking about the 4:30 am forecast which usually meant winds on the lake over 15 knots at dawn.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #42
PHDIII

Default 101.5

Quote:
I agree the signal is dependent upon topography. We are on Long Island (the high part) so we can get a reasonable signal from WWHQ 101.5.

Sometimes there is a carrier present but no material. I think they must have some microwave transmission problems from Maine. Other times they're just plain "off the air".

In any case we do enjoy the 100% classical format which is a welcome change from the rest of the clutter up and down the dial.

They run only local Maine advertising which makes me wonder if they will continue broadcasting to NH??

Last edited by PHDIII; 06-01-2012 at 06:08 AM.
PHDIII is offline   Reply With Quote