Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ... hurray for Hannaford!

About two weeks ago at Meredith-Hannaford's, I purchased a $4.99-5lb bag of about six red grapefruit; got home and found one grapefruit with a bad navel area. So's today, after eating all the five other good grapefruits over the last two weeks, I finally got around to returning that one bad grapefruit and was expecting to get about an 85-cents refund ...... but nooooooo ...... I got a $9.98 refund which is double the 4.99 price of the bag.

Not-too-shabby! Hannaford's is a happening store!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
AC2717

are you serious?
Old 06-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised, so's I turned around and spent the 9.98 on another bag of grapefruit, and some other items.....apparently, Hannaford's refunds double the price on defective food.....which was news to me!

I know a little bit about picking grapefruit, and the grapefruit needs to be twisted off its' stem on a grapefruit tree by the person picking the grapefruit, likely high up on a ladder, as opposed to being pulled off the stem......twisted vs pulled....or the grapefruit gets damaged at the navel and can go bad, which is how it looked.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Boston Globe

Quote:
By Jack Newsham Globe Correspondent

The global parent company of Stop & Shop has agreed to buy the owner of Hannaford for $10.4 billion, creating the fifth-biggest US supermarket retailer in the industry’s biggest transaction for almost a decade.
Royal Ahold NV, the Dutch company that owns Stop & Shop, said buying the Delhaize Group would generate cost savings of $559 million per year by 2019. Both companies have grocery stores in several European countries and the eastern US, and Massachusetts is the main area of overlap between them.
Continue reading below

In the US, Delhaize Group operates the Hannafords and Food Lion chains. Ahold currently operates 131 Stop & Shop supermarkets in Massachusetts, and 214 across New England. Delhaize has 25 Hannafords in the state, and 183 in New England. Stop & Shop is the largest grocery chain in New England; Hannaford is the third largest.
Some elements of the deal are unclear. The companies said they expect the deal to close in mid-2016, but didn’t say whether any stores would be renamed or closed. There are also some differences between the chains owned by Ahold and Delhaize: Stop & Shop stores tend to be larger, and prices at the store are higher than at Hannaford, according to a survey by the non-profit Consumers’ Checkbook.
Still, analysts have said they expect the deal to be approved by government competition authorities. Barclays analysts said only about 5 percent of the companies’ US grocery stores could be described as “overlapping,” according to Bloomberg. Supermarket experts told the Globe the companies may have to sell off some of their locations, or they could try to make the case to regulators that the deal wouldn’t hurt consumers.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
dpg

Hmmm I would of thrown the bad one in the trash.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Reilly (06-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
MeredithMan

Default meredith hannaford is great...

....most impressive point is that their staff is super-friendly, polite, and always willing to help you out.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
tummyman

If the news is correct, looks like Stop and Shop will be acquiring Hannaford's. Deal could be announced any day now.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
If the news is correct, looks like Stop and Shop will be acquiring Hannaford's. Deal could be announced any day now.
Kind of sort of. Delhaize is the parent company of Hannaford and Food Lion, and Ahold is the parent company of Stop & Shop and Giant. If regulators approve, the two companies will merge and the transaction could become final in the middle of next year.

The two would remain as separate entities.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Hmmm I would of thrown the bad one in the trash.
Sounds like a continuing MO

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...2&postcount=71
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
fatlazyless

....say-hey....now I have something to do for the rest of the loooooong summer.....will go to every Hannaford in NH and look for $4.99 bags of fresh grapefruits where one of the grapefruit has a damaged naval, and looks to be going bad......hoo-buoy!!! ...what-a-great-racket! ... and I don't mean tennis racket!
Old 06-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
dave603

That seems like some thing you would do.

By the way, that has always been Hannafords policy on everything they sell.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....say-hey....now I have something to do for the rest of the loooooong summer.....will go to every Hannaford in NH and look for $4.99 bags of fresh grapefruits where one of the grapefruit has a damaged naval, and looks to be going bad......hoo-buoy!!! ...what-a-great-racket! ... and I don't mean tennis racket!
If you eat all that grape fruit you'll have to change your name to skinny lazy less.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
winniplayhouse (06-25-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Good food for thought with grapefruit

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice are healthful, providing enough vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and other nutrients to earn the American Heart Association’s “heart-check” mark. That’s the good news. The bad news is that grapefruit juice can interact with dozens of medications, sometimes dangerously.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/family...autionary-note
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Don't forget to pack your side-arm...Oh wait that's another thread...Sorry.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:21 AM   #15
rsmlp

So let me get this straight, you buy six grapefruit and after a considerable period of time, return one bad one? Wow, you are perhaps the most miserly person I have ever heard admit to such a triviality. Did you not feel the least bit guilty about walking into Hannaford and presenting them with a bad grapefruit? The only reason they complied is it's not worth arguing with such a parsimonious customer.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
olde nh (06-30-2015), Reilly (06-29-2015), WakeboardMom (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #16
Merrymeeting

Don't feed the trolls...not even with grapefruit!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (06-25-2015), WakeboardMom (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #17
GTO

Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
That seems like some thing you would do.

By the way, that has always been Hannafords policy on everything they sell.
I bought a large turkey at Hannafords a few years ago and when we opened it to cook it, you could smell that it was bad. It was still well within the sell by date so I brought it back. They were all apologies. I just wanted to exchange it for another one but they gave me a gift card for double what I paid. I went back and got another bird and then bought some fixings with the "extra cash' and then put the fixings in the donation basket on my way out.
Pontoon Goon (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Market Basket

Although we are talking produce, Market Basket double refund your money if you bought bad meat. I bought chicken one time. It was so bad, it smell up the whole kitchen! Return the chicken and double my refund, no questions ask!

My elderly aunt experience the same policy at Shaw's last year. I'm assuming it is an industry standard?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #19
hilltopper

I bought a 30 pack the other day and when opened I found three empty cans that looked like a box cutter had gone through them. I brought in one can as an example and they gave me another 30 pack for free. Great policy...it almost makes up for their prices.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #20
Tired of Waiting

Default you forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
If you eat all that grape fruit you'll have to change your name to skinny lazy less.
Have you seen how much sugar he puts on the fruit? He didn't get that name using Splenda
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #21
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
So let me get this straight, you buy six grapefruit and after a considerable period of time, return one bad one? Wow, you are perhaps the most miserly person I have ever heard admit to such a triviality. Did you not feel the least bit guilty about walking into Hannaford and presenting them with a bad grapefruit? The only reason they complied is it's not worth arguing with such a parsimonious customer.
....say-hey....85-cents is 85-cents....and that one grapefruit was definately no good with what looked like an infected navel......so's I placed the receipt and damaged grapefruit into the plastic bag it came in......and then into my freezer to preserve the evidence knowing it could be a while before returning it....and about two weeks later.....bingo.....thankyou Meredith-Hannaford for turning my 85-cent expectation into a $9.98 megabucks, scrape-me-off-the-floor experience-amundo.....ho-ho-ho!

.....and then I reinvested the money into a new 4.99 bag of grapefruit....but could not-a-find-a-one with a similar infected navel....

......do you feel HANNAFORD'S lucky? I do!
Old 06-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #22
Misty Blue

Default Merger

I heard that Stop & Shop was going to merge with A & P. They will call it
Stop & P.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-28-2015), fatlazyless (06-28-2015), ITD (06-28-2015), Orion (07-01-2015), Pine Island Guy (07-15-2015), rander7823 (06-29-2015), Whimsey (07-15-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

We bought spinach at Hannaford last week. It was old, and didn't look great, but it was passable and we needed it for a cooked dish we were making, so we bought 3 bags instead of 2, figuring we could just pick through it. The cashier looked at the spinach as she was ringing it up. She also noted that it was not in top condition and pointed it out to us. When we told her that those were the 3 best bags they had, and that we would pick though, she said she would only charge us for one bag.

A couple of weeks ago I was in there looking for a quart of heavy cream. All I could find was half pints. A manager was passing by and I asked him if he could check the cooler to see if any quarts were there but not displayed. He came back and apologized for not having anything but the half pints, and gave me a coupon for $2.00 off my purchase that day for the inconvenience.

So, I think it's fair to say that they truly understand the principles and value of customer service!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote