Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
LakesShaker

Angry Old Europe Reataurant- Concord

I would just like to share the horrible eating experience I just endured at the Old Europe restaurant, at 76 North Main Street in Concord. I strongly recommend that your readers avoid this restaurant at all costs. After choking down a mediocre salad and two appetizers (with tough, chewy shrimp and not-very-fresh greens), with two (warm) beers and two (dirty) glasses of wine, my wife and I attempted to pay the exorbitant bill of $65 no fewer than three times with three different credit cards. The waiter kept returning to our table and saying that the credit cards were not working, implying loudly that he thought it was because the cards were no good, by saying that the cards usually work after a few tries, but that now they weren’t. Being reasonable people, and at their suggestion, we then went across the street to the ATM ($2.75 fee) to get cash to pay, and they had the nerve to send the waitress across the street with us to watch as if we were some common criminals. The manager was actually yelling across the street at us that we had to pay. I returned, put my cash on the counter and left, and the waiter followed me out muttering some sort of threatening language at my back, about not returning to the restaurant (which we certainly will never do) and continued to shout at me in threatening, accusatory language from across the street as I returned to my car. Because of the delay this caused, I got a parking ticket as well.
So, when all was said and done, I paid $87.50 for the mediocre lunch described above. The waiter and manager were both rude, inconsiderate, and had the nerve to actually threaten me. My wife and I are going to be sure to cancel the credit cards that we used there, to prevent them from doing anything in retaliation. Considering the poor quality of food and service, this restaurant is terribly overpriced. I strongly suggest your readers avoid this establishment altogether.
LakesShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Interesting... You probably should have left after the "two warm beers and two dirty glasses of wine"

By the way, welcome to the forum!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Concord for lunch

If you are in Concord for lunch, I strongly suggest 'Bread and Chocolate', across from the Health Food store on 29 South Main Street.

http://www.menuclub.com/newhampshire...ate-125091.php

You won't be disappointed!
BrownstoneNorth (05-10-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesShaker View Post
I would just like to share the horrible eating experience I just endured at the Old Europe restaurant, at 76 North Main Street in Concord. I strongly recommend that your readers avoid this restaurant at all costs. After choking down a mediocre salad and two appetizers (with tough, chewy shrimp and not-very-fresh greens), with two (warm) beers and two (dirty) glasses of wine, my wife and I attempted to pay the exorbitant bill of $65 no fewer than three times with three different credit cards. The waiter kept returning to our table and saying that the credit cards were not working, implying loudly that he thought it was because the cards were no good, by saying that the cards usually work after a few tries, but that now they weren’t. Being reasonable people, and at their suggestion, we then went across the street to the ATM ($2.75 fee) to get cash to pay, and they had the nerve to send the waitress across the street with us to watch as if we were some common criminals. The manager was actually yelling across the street at us that we had to pay. I returned, put my cash on the counter and left, and the waiter followed me out muttering some sort of threatening language at my back, about not returning to the restaurant (which we certainly will never do) and continued to shout at me in threatening, accusatory language from across the street as I returned to my car. Because of the delay this caused, I got a parking ticket as well.
So, when all was said and done, I paid $87.50 for the mediocre lunch described above. The waiter and manager were both rude, inconsiderate, and had the nerve to actually threaten me. My wife and I are going to be sure to cancel the credit cards that we used there, to prevent them from doing anything in retaliation. Considering the poor quality of food and service, this restaurant is terribly overpriced. I strongly suggest your readers avoid this establishment altogether.
If it was as bad as you say, and I'm not doubting it was, why did you leave a tip?
I personally have no problem at all not leaving a tip if I'm not happy with the service the waiter provides.
If the food is bad but the waiter is doing their best, then that is different.
LakesShaker (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Tired of Waiting

Default The great wall of text

Quote:
Sorry you had a bad time. But, Why the tip?

ToW

P.S Paragraphs are your friend.
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
WakeboardMom

Quote:
"Because of the delay this caused, I got a parking ticket." Wouldn't you have been there that long if you had stayed long enough for a complete lunch or dinner?

And I certainly don't agree with shouting at you, but perhaps there was some concern about your payment after three credit cards were denied.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, but perhaps there's another side to this story.

Last edited by WakeboardMom; 05-08-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Grammar
WakeboardMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
GTO

Default great first post.....

Quote:

Great first post....and it isn't even lake related
LakesShaker (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
secondcurve

Quote:

Your first post and it concerns a restaurant in Concord, NH??
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post

Your first post and it concerns a restaurant in Concord, NH??
Based on his TripAdvisor review, the poster is from Gilford.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Happy Gourmand

Default what's on the other side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
"Because of the delay this caused, I got a parking ticket." Wouldn't you have been there that long if you had stayed long enough for a complete lunch or dinner?

And I certainly don't agree with shouting at you, but perhaps there was some concern about your payment after three credit cards were denied.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, but perhaps there's another side to this story.
I agree that there is likely another side to this story.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post

ToW

Unless I'm missing something, where does the OP say he left a tip? I'm assuming the total of $87.50 was for the $65.00 lunch, $2.75 ATM fee and then the rest was the parking ticket?
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Jmo77011

Default Parking fine?

I thought it sounded like he included the ATM fee and the parking ticket in the total, not a tip.

Honestly, I am not surprised that someone went with you to the ATM since 3 cards were declined. I am surprised that it was a waitress rather than the manager. It sounds like things got pretty heated on both ends.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
hilltopper

Ture or not, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when someone joins a forum like this and the reason they joined / their first post is to blast a business. Just doesn't fit the spirit of this forum.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (05-08-2012), WakeboardMom (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Ture or not, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when someone joins a forum like this and the reason they joined / their first post is to blast a business. Just doesn't fit the spirit of this forum.
Especially when the post pertains to a non-Lakes region establishment.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
LakesShaker

Smile answers

The 87.50 included the bill, ATM fee, and parking ticket...this is not my first post...the waiter/manager were YELLING from across the street after I calmly told them I was going to the ATM for cash. The credit cards were/are all valid- it was their machine that was not working. Amazing rudeness. AND overpriced food.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
LakesShaker

Quote:
Especially when the post pertains to a non-Lakes region establishment.
so sorry to hurt your feelings...but I'm just trying to point out an establishment for lakes resident to avoid.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
secondcurve

Smile

Quote:
so sorry to hurt your feelings...but I'm just trying to point out an establishment for lakes resident to avoid.
You didn't hurt my feelings bud. By the way, I had a less than stellar meal at Carmelos in Austin last week and I want you to know just in case you are considering that option anytime soon.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #18
Pontoon Goon

Cool Sorry to hear about your experience

LakesShaker were you the only one there paying with a credit card ? If machine was bad it seems others would be having same issue.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #19
hilltopper

Quote:
The 87.50 included the bill, ATM fee, and parking ticket...this is not my first post...the waiter/manager were YELLING from across the street after I calmly told them I was going to the ATM for cash. The credit cards were/are all valid- it was their machine that was not working. Amazing rudeness. AND overpriced food.
What do you mean it wasn't your first post? You have 3 psots and they're all in this thread. Area you telling me you have two user names? One for "good" posts and a secret one for trashing businesses?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #20
GTO

Default Oh Mr Lakeshaker......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great first post....and it isn't even lake related
I see that you thanked me for for my post. I know your new here and you don't quite know me yet, but my reply to your first ever post, was total sarcasm. If your going to complain about an eating establisment here, at least introduce yourself, make it lake related, and get your feet wet first (see, lake related, wet feet). In your very first thread posted here, tell us you ran into Marge Simpson over at the Pine Cone Hotel or why you won't visit an area marina because they mistakenly put an ad on the forum....but never start off dissing a restuarant, even if it is outside the lakes region. Once you become a little more established here, maybe we'll cut you a little slack, I mean even the Hot Dog Bob thread now has us in NJ eating deep fried dogs.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
GTO

Default be careful

Quote:
What do you mean it wasn't your first post? You have 3 psots and they're all in this thread. Area you telling me you have two user names? One for "good" posts and a secret one for trashing businesses?
I hope your not raising your voice to him, he seems very sensitive. Maybe he has 3 different credit cards with 3 different names
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #22
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post

ToW

Probably included the ticket fine
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
Probably included the ticket fine
He attributed the parking ticket to being inconvenienced by the credit card screw-up. However, he only had apps and drinks. If he had a full-fledged lunch, how long would that have taken? It would seem like he would've had a ticket even if the place had served a good meal.

And if you were served warm beer and wine in a dirty glass would you have ordered a second one of each? I don't understand.
upthesaukee (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
LakesShaker

Cool Wtf?

So...on a thread titled "Restaurant Information and Reviews", I'm not supposed to post a review of a restaurant? I have posted on this board before, I don't know why the little ticker says this is the first post. I'm so sorry you have a bad taste in your mouth, Hilltopper , try brushing more often.
Anyway, I now completely regret posting here. There are obviously some very suspicious, judgmental people. To these folks, I heartily encourage you to go to Old Europe, and I hope you have as good an experience as I had.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #25
secondcurve

So...on a thread titled "Restaurant Information and Reviews", I'm not supposed to post a review of a restaurant?

Winnipesaukee.com = Lakes Region................Concord NH is in central New Hampshire. These geography issues are complex but if you get a map of NH and highlight the lakes region area I am confident that with practice you will be able to keep it straight.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
LakesShaker

Talking

Why the hostility, secondcurve? What are you really pissed off about, tough guy? Please don't take out your frustrations on me. (Or any other anonymous person, either, tough guy. )
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
GTO

Default here it comes.....

Quote:
Why the hostility, secondcurve? What are you really pissed off about, tough guy? Please don't take out your frustrations on me. (Or any other anonymous person, either, tough guy. )
I am starting to see the "other side of the story" now
secondcurve (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
RailroadJoe

I'm an old man and was wondering what this thread is about?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #29
Bigstan

Default No worries

It will likely be removed soon enough, as there is no real value or
believability here. Growing hostility from a certain someone proves that.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #30
LakesShaker

Red face

Yes- PLEASE remove this thread. All that happened is I tried to point out that Lakes residents should avoid a certain restaurant in the closest major (?) city to the Lakes region- and I have to read/answer comments that generally imply that I was somehow in the wrong for having three perfectly valid cards refused, and that the manager of this place was justified in yelling at me when I was going to the ATM like they (the manager) suggested, or that the meter would have run out anyway, as if they know these things to be true.
Most of the people that commented on my posts either indirectly questioned my truthfulness, or indirectly insulted my intelligence and I find this extremely rude, not to mention cowardly. Not a single one of you was actually there, yet you feel the need to be critical (and insulting) for irrelevant reasons. This says more about these commenters than I ever could. Isn't there a term for people who hurl insults on internet forums from the safety of their home, to people they will never know?
SO WHAT if the restaurant is in Concord, I'm certain many Lakes residents go there regularly. SO WHAT if I did not (in your opinion) correctly use paragraphs. SO WHAT if you think I was wrong for relating this story- I did not force you to read it. I would suggest that the writers of these consistently negative, "snarky" comments need to get out more. I know, I know, you think you "own" this forum because you have posted over 1,000 times (!)...well this is the USA and I can say whatever I wish.
So, PLEASE remove this thread just as I am removing myself from this forum. Thank You.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
LakesShaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
If you are in Concord for lunch, I strongly suggest 'Bread and Chocolate', across from the Health Food store on 29 South Main Street.

http://www.menuclub.com/newhampshire...ate-125091.php

You won't be disappointed!
SSSHHHH! We're not supposed to comment on Concord restaurants in this forum! Hmm, and nobody jumped on you for doing so...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #32
LakesShaker

Thumbs up

Quote:
So...on a thread titled "Restaurant Information and Reviews", I'm not supposed to post a review of a restaurant?

Winnipesaukee.com = Lakes Region................Concord NH is in central New Hampshire. These geography issues are complex but if you get a map of NH and highlight the lakes region area I am confident that with practice you will be able to keep it straight.
Just so I know, where exactly are the boundaries of the Lakes "region"? I looked on a map, and Lake W is in central NH too, Concord is about an hour drive from Laconia. It was very challenging for me to see this, and I appreciate the suggestion to look at a map although it was vary hard for me.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #33
Bear Island South

Thumbs down

Really...have all of your 1000 plus posts been about the lakes region?
Let it go already!

It amazes me that some new guy/gal can't post a negative experience without being harrassed by "senior members"

Quote:

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (05-10-2012), gtagrip (05-10-2012), KPW (05-10-2012), LakesShaker (05-10-2012), tricia1218 (05-11-2012), Winnigirl (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #34
Bigstan

Default ending

Not local. End of story.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
gtagrip

Quote:
So, you're saying that it's okay on the second post, just not on the first??? If he had a problem with a restaurant. Why should he be required to wait until AFTER he's posted something else before he can warn others about this place?
The Following User Says Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
LakesShaker (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #36
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Not local. End of story.
Bigstan, if you scroll down to the "Boston" thread from back in March, there is a lot of chatter about North End restaurants. I didn't see anyone jump all over the OP of that thread claiming that it wasn't "local"!

Seems to be a lot of hypocrisy depending on who/what is posted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (05-10-2012), LakesShaker (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #37
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sorry to burst bubbles

The way I see things is that many folks travel to the lake from points South. Talking about places to rest along 93 or Rte 3 shouldn't be a big deal. I'd rather see folks arrived safely than to fall asleep on the way to the lake. So the topic is related to the Lakes Region.
BrownstoneNorth (05-10-2012), gtagrip (05-10-2012), KPW (05-10-2012), LakesShaker (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #38
Jonas Pilot

Nothing personal, but I don't care to hear much about anything south of Alton. Every story is a reminder of how close change is.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #39
BrownstoneNorth

Default Sorry to burst bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The way I see things is that many folks travel to the lake from points South. Talking about places to rest along 93 or Rte 3 shouldn't be a big deal. I'd rather see folks arrived safely than to fall asleep on the way to the lake. So the topic is related to the Lakes Region.
Indeed. Forum word search for Concord came up with 500 posts, including at least one title thread -- "Commute from Wolfeboro to Concord"; some people do actually live in the Lakes Region and work in Concord (e.g., a neighbor of mine who's a teacher and another who's a nurse)... but Austin, not so much.

There are plenty of reasons why Lakes Region residents may find themselves in Concord and, for that matter, other nearby areas, and might therefore appreciate restaurant reviews. *For many of us, one of the joys of living in the Lakes Region is its proximity to much of what the great State of New Hampshire has to offer outside our immediate area.

What I can't understand is why members of the Forum who choose not or dare not venture out so, um, far, don't simply ignore a post on this subject instead of jumping all over it -- same goes for those who are offended by a strong opinion expressed in a maiden post.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownstoneNorth For This Useful Post:
gtagrip (05-10-2012), LakesShaker (05-10-2012), Winnisquamguy (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #40
LakesShaker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
What I can't understand is why members of the Forum who choose not or dare not venture out so, um, far, don't simply ignore a post on this subject instead of jumping all over it -- same goes for those who are offended by a strong opinion expressed in a maiden post.
I'm not a maiden!!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #41
Belmont Resident

Default Lakeshaker

Quote:
I'm not a maiden!!
If I were you I’d give it up and forget about this thread. If you haven’t already noticed there are some who have nothing better to do then negatively comment about topics they have no knowledge about what so ever.
The more you rebuttal the more negative comments you get, you will not win.
FYI if you did a search you would find that a lot of the comments posted on this forum have nothing to do with boating or the lakes region so yours was not out of line.
Some on here think their opinion is the only one that matters.
Bear Island South (05-11-2012), BroadHopper (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #42
SIKSUKR

Is that a black kettle or pot?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #43
LakesShaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
If I were you I’d give it up and forget about this thread. If you haven’t already noticed there are some who have nothing better to do then negatively comment about topics they have no knowledge about what so ever.
The more you rebuttal the more negative comments you get, you will not win.
FYI if you did a search you would find that a lot of the comments posted on this forum have nothing to do with boating or the lakes region so yours was not out of line.
Some on here think their opinion is the only one that matters.
I'm sorry I was actually joking about the maiden comment - I don't think they were trying to insult.
And thanks Belmont, you're absolutely right. It was encouraging to see that many agreed with you.
Hey, I'm moving to Belmont next week! Maybe we'll run into each other someday...
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #44
tricia1218

Now all of sudden we need to follow strict guidelines or have at least so many post to be considered relevant. With all this anti-bullying going around you would think the grown ups would catch on.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tricia1218 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-11-2012), Winnisquamguy (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #45
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia1218 View Post
Now all of sudden we need to follow strict guidelines or have at least so many post to be considered relevant. With all this anti-bullying going around you would think the grown ups would catch on.
I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all. I'm not discrediting the poster claiming they were lieing...I have no idea. When someone decides to join a forum to bash a business/person/whatever in their first post it seems vindictive. Bullying? Give me a break. Hasn't everyone learned that you need a thick skin when you're playing on the interwebz? Over and out...
The Following User Says Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #46
gtagrip

Quote:
I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all. I'm not discrediting the poster claiming they were lieing...I have no idea. When someone decides to join a forum to bash a business/person/whatever in their first post it seems vindictive. Bullying? Give me a break. Hasn't everyone learned that you need a thick skin when you're playing on the interwebz? Over and out...
If this was a "one and done" post which seems to occur often when someone comes on for the first time to bash a biz. especially in the restaurant forum I would not have given them any credit/benefit of the doubt. The OP has come on more than once to defend his position and for that I give him credit from not backing down form the "bullying" and maintaining his position!