Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Orion

Default Would this sailboat be illegal in NH?

Unbelievable boundary technology sailboat can exceed NH speed limits!

link is to second page of article showing successful second run...

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/01...-sailrocket/2/
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
brk-lnt

I don't see why the boat itself would be illegal. There are many boats on the lake capable of high speeds, they are just not operated at those speeds.

I'm not sure this particular boat would be the best choice for the lake, I think there would be very few opportunities to use it much to its full potential.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default America Cup

The Sail reminds me of the America Cup contenders last June in Newport. Many sailboats designed today are capable of high speed. My neighbor's son is on the national catamaran team. He frequently sails on the broads with a catamaran in excess of 45 mph. Even though the law says any watercraft is covered under the speed limit, My guess is the MP figures it is a sailboat so why bother?

The lake is not very sail friendly, because of the mountains and hills. The wind does not blow steadily in one direction like you would have on the ocean. As you navigate across the lake the wind will shift as you go by a hill or any kind of rise on land. But a sailor with the right craft is capable of high speed.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
NoBozo

I suspect Someone would have a problem with that boat on the lake. There is ALWAYS Someone.

From the Speed numbers I have been able to find it looks like the Vestas boat reached 102.92 Kph/63.95 mph. Other than speed on the lake, the problem I think would be the Beam of the boat ...combined with the Speed... Lets not forget OUR "Sensible" 150' rule. .......Wipeout those idle Bayliners

Another note: The Vestas boat waited for good wind on windward shore to avoid seas. They had the advantage of strong wind just downwind and over a beach,....SO NO Waves.

The French have ALWAYS been the leaders/inovators in Offshore and particularly Single Handed Long Distance Offshore racing . ie: Round The World

EDIT: Lets not forget the UNITS of Conversion. MPH to Acres Per Second.... NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 01-23-2013 at 08:07 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The Sail reminds me of the America Cup contenders last June in Newport. Many sailboats designed today are capable of high speed. My neighbor's son is on the national catamaran team. He frequently sails on the broads with a catamaran in excess of 45 mph. Even though the law says any watercraft is covered under the speed limit, My guess is the MP figures it is a sailboat so why bother?

The lake is not very sail friendly, because of the mountains and hills. The wind does not blow steadily in one direction like you would have on the ocean. As you navigate across the lake the wind will shift as you go by a hill or any kind of rise on land. But a sailor with the right craft is capable of high speed.
Even under the best conditions, the former World-Olympics Tornado catamaran doesn't exceed 30 too often; however, in its 1976 debut, they published a brochure of the world's fastest production catamaran that featured the towing of a waterskier! I've owned my own Tornado and sailed it with glee—and trepidation—on Lake Winnipesaukee.

—> Yes, the French now rule Britannia's seas—with apologies to new member mikea

IF you are able , fast-forward to 02:10 in the following video, where a trimaran that is capable of exceeding 45 passes a cruising Fountaine Pajot catamaran in open seas—to cheers of selfless encouragement.

Although it is a video of a craft driven solely by wind, this is to advise turning down your speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...&v=lOfP39LZtJw

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Gearhead (01-24-2013), NoBozo (01-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Gearhead

Je voudrais faire un tour sur le bateau la! (how'd I do?)

Maybe if one of these pilots is around Winni he could help me get my boat past 6 knots.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Even under the best conditions, the former World-Olympics Tornado catamaran doesn't exceed 30 too often; however, in its 1976 debut, they published a brochure of the world's fastest production catamaran that featured the towing of a waterskier! I've owned my own Tornado and sailed it with glee—and trepidation—on Lake Winnipesaukee.

—> Yes, the French now rule Britannia's seas—with apologies to new member mikea

IF you are able , fast-forward to 02:10 in the following video, where a trimaran that is capable of exceeding 45 passes a cruising Fountaine Pajot catamaran in open seas—to cheers of selfless encouragement.

Although it is a video of a craft driven solely by wind, this is to advise turning down your speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...&v=lOfP39LZtJw

Excellent Video. THATS SAILING: I have watched it multiple times and it still amazes me the "balls" those guys have. I have single handed to Bermuda and return ..two times and know "Just a little". But Not Round The World. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote