Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Blogs Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
jazzman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mont Vernon NH & Big Barndoor Island
Posts: 151
Thanks: 3
Thanked 103 Times in 29 Posts
Default Post Foundation Expert?

Does anyone know of post type foundation expert? I'm looking at an island property that has some possible foundation issues. Are there contractors out there that just do this sort of work or do general contractors just wing it?

I'm afraid in this case a DIY home builder winged it. It looks like there have been some erosion issues that have compromised the integrity of some of the concrete piers.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,019
Thanks: 228
Thanked 419 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Barry Caswell in Wolfeboro specializes in that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
codeman671
Senior Member
 
codeman671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,006
Thanks: 68
Thanked 228 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Being on an island you are going to need someone that is equipped to handle island work, otherwise you will be eating barge charges.

What exactly needs to be done? Is it precast piers or sonotubes? Jack up, support and replace?

I would contact Steve at ISS.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
jazzman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mont Vernon NH & Big Barndoor Island
Posts: 151
Thanks: 3
Thanked 103 Times in 29 Posts
Default

It's a odd place.... Someone built this huge deck for a house (actually a modest house, but decks on 4 sides and on 2 levels since the site is steep), but gave up before the house part. I think it's been sitting for a couple years now.

It's sonotube construction, but I fear the sonotubes are undersized and some are now tilted (maybe they weren't deep enough??? maybe they never started straight???). I hear the "building" failed inspection at this point and so it sits.

I don't know what people do about erosion on steep lots, but I think it's been a serious issue in a couple places on this one. At least what stands today looks to be ok from a DES perspective. It's all 50+ feet from the water and no damage seems to have occurred in the 50 foot buffer area.

Of course all building permits have expired now and the SPA rules have changed since it was started, so I'd guess I'm in for quite a lot of paperwork if I want to revive it. On the plus side it has a valid and state/town approved septic system.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 980
Thanks: 130
Thanked 664 Times in 235 Posts
Default

If the footings were sized correctly, enough were installed AND put in deep enough to be below the frost line then there shouldn't be any reason to see them moving. So something wasn't done right and therefore you're problem exists. Being on a steep grade with bad footings, !

Yeah you need to do your homework. Fixing the footings is the last of your concerns if what's there isn't grandfathered and you'd need to tear it down to meet current SPA guidelines. Since the building is partially finished could that be an issue? Dunno, but something I'd want to know right off the bat.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 1,687
Thanks: 479
Thanked 385 Times in 203 Posts
Default

Everyones comments are right on the Mark here.....

I think the big concern maybe, why are the piers failing. If it was a sano-tube installation, I would be concerned, that they where not installed down deep enough. Now that could be because the person doing the work didn't know any better, but it could also be because of ledge... you may find that correcting the issue gets $$$$ quick, if the digging isn't easy....

Was this place every complete? and was it ever issued an occupancy permit? If so grandfathering the structure shouldn't be much of a problem. However if the work was never completed, as outlined with the permits that have expired you could be looking at a bunch of paper work and legal costs.
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
codeman671
Senior Member
 
codeman671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,006
Thanks: 68
Thanked 228 Times in 154 Posts
Default

It sounds like a nightmare to me... Are you sure you want to get into it?

Take it from one who built on an island, it gets expensive quickly. Every little thing that needs to be barged costs you, labor costs tend to be higher, etc.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Just Sold
Senior Member
 
Just Sold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Derry, NH, but at The Lake at Heart
Posts: 2,280
Thanks: 655
Thanked 261 Times in 140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
It's a odd place.... Someone built this huge deck for a house (actually a modest house, but decks on 4 sides and on 2 levels since the site is steep), but gave up before the house part. I think it's been sitting for a couple years now.

It's sonotube construction, but I fear the sonotubes are undersized and some are now tilted (maybe they weren't deep enough??? maybe they never started straight???). I hear the "building" failed inspection at this point and so it sits.

I don't know what people do about erosion on steep lots, but I think it's been a serious issue in a couple places on this one. At least what stands today looks to be ok from a DES perspective. It's all 50+ feet from the water and no damage seems to have occurred in the 50 foot buffer area.

Of course all building permits have expired now and the SPA rules have changed since it was started, so I'd guess I'm in for quite a lot of paperwork if I want to revive it. On the plus side it has a valid and state/town approved septic system.
Is this on Rattlesnake Island? On the Broads side about in the middle. If so PM me.
__________________
Just Sold
At the lake the stress of daily life just melts away. Pro Re Natta
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Sunbeam lodge
Senior Member
 
Sunbeam lodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Meredith/Naples Florida
Posts: 295
Thanks: 107
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Does anyone know of post type foundation expert? I'm looking at an island property that has some possible foundation issues. Are there contractors out there that just do this sort of work or do general contractors just wing it?

I'm afraid in this case a DIY home builder winged it. It looks like there have been some erosion issues that have compromised the integrity of some of the concrete piers.
Did you find someone to do the job and how did it turn out.
I have a problem with rotted timbers under a cottage and looking for someone to fix the problem.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
sky's
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 112
Thanks: 24
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default

sonotubes most commonly come in 4 ft lengths and should be placed in the ground the entire 4 ft length which is below the frost line. in your case the way your describing this issue they most likely hit ledge and stopped there leaving the rest of the sonotube sticking out of the ground. what should have been done after determining that it was ledge is called pinning. very common practice in New Hampshire. We use a powerfull hammer drill and drill into the ledge and then use rebar with an expoxy to hold done the post. also we would use 6x6 post. if your ready to do this project pm me. we are starting a 8 week project very soon. best of luck.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
jazzman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mont Vernon NH & Big Barndoor Island
Posts: 151
Thanks: 3
Thanked 103 Times in 29 Posts
Default

We ran away and hid... We saw multiple Rattlesnake properties with this problem. We found one where the old piers had been pulled and replaced with 2 ft square pads that were probably only a foot thick... 3 guesses what happened to them too?

We're still working on our island purchase, but the one we're pretty close to buying has very nice 12" piers with between 6" and 12" sticking out of the ground. Of course we have no way of knowing how deep they are, but everything looks square and whoever built it had a pretty good idea which end of the hammer to hold.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 980
Thanks: 130
Thanked 664 Times in 235 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
We ran away and hid... We saw multiple Rattlesnake properties with this problem. We found one where the old piers had been pulled and replaced with 2 ft square pads that were probably only a foot thick... 3 guesses what happened to them too?

We're still working on our island purchase, but the one we're pretty close to buying has very nice 12" piers with between 6" and 12" sticking out of the ground. Of course we have no way of knowing how deep they are, but everything looks square and whoever built it had a pretty good idea which end of the hammer to hold.
Yeah it's pretty amazing some of the places I looked at - scratched my head at what the person doing the work was thinking, then was in awe the place was still standing. Fairly common place on the islands to have interesting construction methods used, some are downright scary though. The footings are something not easily dealt with nor would I imagine cheap to fix. Sad thing is I'd seen a couple really nicely renovated places that were very well done, all for nothing as the footings were junk.

Keep up the search, you'll find the right place. When I bought mine it was a no brainer soon as I looked under the building and did a quick walk around! It's so worth it once you got it. As many on here have told me in the past as I was going through the process, there is NOTHING like being out there on the island. Only problem I have now is not thinking about it during the week at work!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
AC2717
Senior Member
 
AC2717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maynard, MA & Paugus Bay
Posts: 1,459
Thanks: 323
Thanked 127 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Only problem I have now is not thinking about it during the week at work!
That is why the forum is here- Therapy for the work week!
__________________
Capt. of the "Nevah Land"
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC2717 For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
Kerk
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Smile Island Property FOR SALE

# 110 COW Is. In Orchard cove is for sale . Pretty flat lot !
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
codeman671
Senior Member
 
codeman671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,006
Thanks: 68
Thanked 228 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
# 110 COW Is. In Orchard cove is for sale . Pretty flat lot !
Listed with an agent or private sale?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Kerk
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Smile 110 Cow Island

Private at present but will probably list soon. Be there 8-23 P.M. kc
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

This page was generated in 0.15288 seconds