Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Blogs Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
challmec
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
Thanks: 21
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default four winns question

I have a horizon 194 2005.
It has a19x6.5 prop and with 4or more onboard it is difficult to get on plane.
it has a 5.0 eris motor.
I expect that the prop is not correct and would like feedback as to a better setup.
boat was purchased new from winnisquam marine. Not much help there
Thanks
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Dave R
Senior Member
 
Dave R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,051
Thanks: 126
Thanked 318 Times in 186 Posts
Default

The prop spec you wrote is weird and inaccurate. Please check and re-post.

What is your WOT RPM? WOT RPM with a typical load, correct trim, and an engine in a proper state of tune, is the correct starting point of propeller selection. Post that and I can recommend a prop that will make you happier.

If you have a 3 blade aluminum prop, you will probably enjoy the upgrade of a 4 blade. V8s and 3 blade aluminum props are a bad mix in my opinion. Too much blade area and torque makes for a "mushy" feeling prop with excessive slip. Stainless steel props are a nice upgrade as well.
__________________
Captain of "Mischief Managed"
Say hi if you see us on the lake.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Belmont Resident
Senior Member
 
Belmont Resident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Belmont NH but prefer Jackman Maine
Posts: 1,857
Thanks: 491
Thanked 410 Times in 252 Posts
Default info

There was just a long thread on the same subject and I believe same type of boat. I believe Woodsy posted a link that had the specs of props and boats.
You might want to search that thread.
Sad that the dealer isn't any help to you.
__________________
"better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, then a long life spent in a miserable way.."
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
challmec (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
fpartri497
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Concord NH
Posts: 662
Thanks: 93
Thanked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The prop spec you wrote is weird and inaccurate. Please check and re-post.

What is your WOT RPM? WOT RPM with a typical load, correct trim, and an engine in a proper state of tune, is the correct starting point of propeller selection. Post that and I can recommend a prop that will make you happier.

If you have a 3 blade aluminum prop, you will probably enjoy the upgrade of a 4 blade. V8s and 3 blade aluminum props are a bad mix in my opinion. Too much blade area and torque makes for a "mushy" feeling prop with excessive slip. Stainless steel props are a nice upgrade as well.

I just had the same scenario last week . had disscussion with my dealer. It seems when lake testing a new boat, that If it meets minium factory specs., WOT RPM thats good eneough for the dealer. changing the props on my 4 winns 258 cruiser to F-3s Improves that dramaticly. gets on plane much faster. overall performance Is much better.Down side is the props cost me $1200.00 Installed.

__________________
dont worry be happy
fpartri497 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fpartri497 For This Useful Post:
challmec (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Dave R
Senior Member
 
Dave R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,051
Thanks: 126
Thanked 318 Times in 186 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
I just had the same scenario last week . had disscussion with my dealer. It seems when lake testing a new boat, that If it meets minium factory specs., WOT RPM thats good eneough for the dealer. changing the props on my 4 winns 258 cruiser to F-3s Improves that dramaticly. gets on plane much faster. overall performance Is much better.Down side is the props cost me $1200.00 Installed.

Ouch. I always check ebay for props.

Boats tend to carry more weight, the longer you have them, especially cruisers. People tend to add electronics, cookware, anchors, tools, canvas, chairs, tubes, floats, fenders, towles lines, spare parts, motor oil, drive oil, batteries etc. They rarely remove things and that stuff really adds up. Combine that with a full tank of gas, and the boat can be a real pig.
__________________
Captain of "Mischief Managed"
Say hi if you see us on the lake.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
challmec (05-06-2012), fpartri497 (05-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
challmec
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
Thanks: 21
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The prop spec you wrote is weird and inaccurate. Please check and re-post.

What is your WOT RPM? WOT RPM with a typical load, correct trim, and an engine in a proper state of tune, is the correct starting point of propeller selection. Post that and I can recommend a prop that will make you happier.

If you have a 3 blade aluminum prop, you will probably enjoy the upgrade of a 4 blade. V8s and 3 blade aluminum props are a bad mix in my opinion. Too much blade area and torque makes for a "mushy" feeling prop with excessive slip. Stainless steel props are a nice upgrade as well.
OK will do thanks much
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
fpartri497
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Concord NH
Posts: 662
Thanks: 93
Thanked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Ouch. I always check ebay for props.

Boats tend to carry more weight, the longer you have them, especially cruisers. People tend to add electronics, cookware, anchors, tools, canvas, chairs, tubes, floats, fenders, towles lines, spare parts, motor oil, drive oil, batteries etc. They rarely remove things and that stuff really adds up. Combine that with a full tank of gas, and the boat can be a real pig.
and dont forget the water holding tank being full at 8.5 lbs per gal. plus whatever you may be carring In the waste tank.

__________________
dont worry be happy
fpartri497 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Dave R
Senior Member
 
Dave R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,051
Thanks: 126
Thanked 318 Times in 186 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by challmec View Post
OK will do thanks much
If it's always been slow to plane, it should be easy to fix. If it's a recent problem, it's probably not the propeller.
__________________
Captain of "Mischief Managed"
Say hi if you see us on the lake.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
challmec
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
Thanks: 21
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The prop spec you wrote is weird and inaccurate. Please check and re-post.

What is your WOT RPM? WOT RPM with a typical load, correct trim, and an engine in a proper state of tune, is the correct starting point of propeller selection. Post that and I can recommend a prop that will make you happier.

If you have a 3 blade aluminum prop, you will probably enjoy the upgrade of a 4 blade. V8s and 3 blade aluminum props are a bad mix in my opinion. Too much blade area and torque makes for a "mushy" feeling prop with excessive slip. Stainless steel props are a nice upgrade as well.
sorry for the delay.. I will get the correct prop i nfo asap and relay to you
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

This page was generated in 0.08667 seconds