View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #42
Bob M

Default Snowbird Question

In my original post I said there would be no sales tax due if you had owned the vehicle more than 6 months. Less than 6 months you do owe a sales tax. Below is what I just copied from the Florida DMV web site.

New Resident Vehicle Sales Tax
The state of Florida may charge sales tax, use tax, and local discretionary taxes on your vehicle when you register it for the first time in Florida. Whether or not you pay the taxes depends on how long you have owned your vehicle.

Vehicle owned less than 6 months:
Owner is responsible for 6% Florida sales or use tax and any local discretionary taxes your new city or county might require.
Florida sales tax will be pro-rated based upon any taxes you paid in another state.
Example: You already paid 3% tax in previous state so you subtract that from the 6% tax owed to Florida. This means you owe 3% sales or use tax.
Vehicle owned more than 6 months:

No sales, use, or local discretionary taxes will be charged for vehicles that have been owned and registered in another state.
Your out-of-state title and registration will need to verify that you have owned the vehicle more than 6 months.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob M For This Useful Post: